Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Sony Makes The Best Laptops - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Sony Makes The Best Laptops (18903 Views)

Poll: Who makes the best laptops?

Sony: 20% (33 votes)
HP: 20% (33 votes)
Dell: 18% (30 votes)
Lenovo (IBM): 4% (7 votes)
Toshiba: 13% (21 votes)
Acer: 3% (6 votes)
Apple: 18% (30 votes)
This poll has ended

Best Laptops With Great Graphics For Gaming / Best Laptops Here For Sale / Toshiba Makes The Best Laptops. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by KarmaMod(f): 6:12pm On Dec 31, 2008
Most people are saying the new aluminum laptops are just pretty

Ot5her than that, the battery life is lower, no firewall, the glass screen causing alot of glare

Was gonna get one but reviews havent been exactly great undecided
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Djcn: 7:46pm On Dec 31, 2008
No much talks.
@Bigrover dotes, u made a valid point. Comps are generally categorized into two parts. The hardware and the software.

From 1987 till date, Intel and Microsoft (Wintel) controls the Computer hardware standard because it controls the system motherboard. It not only makes the vast majority of motherboards being used in systems today, but it also supplies the vast majority of processors and motherboard chipsets to other motherboard manufacturers.

Intel also has had a hand in setting several recent PC hardware standards, such as the following:

PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) local bus interface.

Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) interface for high-performance video cards.

PCI Express (originally known as 3GIO), the interface elected by the PCI Special Interest Group (PCI SIG) to replace both PCI and AGP as the high-performance bus for newer PCs.

Industry-standard motherboard form factors such as ATX (including variations such as microATX and FlexATX) and BTX (including variations such as microBTX, nanoBTX, and picoBTX). ATX is still the most popular and, beginning in 19961997, it replaced the somewhat long-in-the-tooth IBM-designed Baby-AT form factor that had been used since the early 1980s.

Desktop Management Interface (DMI) for monitoring system hardware functions.

Dynamic Power Management Architecture (DPMA) and Advanced Power Management (APM) standards for managing power use in the PC.

Intel dominates not only the PC, but the entire worldwide semiconductor industry. According to the sales figures compiled by IC Insights, Intel has about twice the sales of the next closest semiconductor company (Samsung) and more than six times the sales of competitor AMD.

Even though Intel controls PC hardware, Microsoft recognizes its power over the PC from the operating system perspective and has been collaborating with Intel. Together, they have released a series of documents called the "System xx Design Guides"

A very simple question i'll like to ask is what hardware standards have Apple set or innovated? It uses which "horsepower" for it's computing? Which Graphics Card? Which Memory? Which Chipsets? That forms your Computer system and nothing else. Apple is only good in ergonomics, aesthetics and at best conceptual art.
They source all their hardware parts just like DJCN sources hardware for his Whitebook.

Now for the Software, Windows is a "class" of its own having shipped with close to 1 BILLION systems for over 1 decade. The 2 richest guys in the IT sector really needs a break, let them go and sleep.

Now Compare these two operating systems and see the common advantages of linux over OS X

1. Flexibility
If you’ve used OS X, you know it’s user-friendly but not very flexible. You get what you have and there’s not much you can do with it. If you don’t like the layout of the desktop, you can move the Dock to either side, you can shrink it, or you can make it auto-hide. Pretty too bad, I love FREEDOM

2. Open source

3. Command line
Most power users know the command line is crucial to serious administrative tasks. In this department, OS X falls way short of Linux. With Linux, you can do pretty much everything you need from the command line. With OS X? Good luck.

4. Hardware requirements. Everyone should know better.

5. Security
In the most recent “Pwn 2 Own” competition, the OS X machine was hacked, whereas the Linux machine was not.

6 Cost

7 Availability of Software

In all the aforementioned categories, the OS X falls short.
So my bet is the one you know is better.

Know your needs, get the components, fix them up, Fedora is a free Linux OS or Ubuntu. Install and enjoy.
I bet your lappy will be the best.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by samir101ng(m): 8:35pm On Dec 31, 2008
And the OS wars have started again. angry angry angry What were we talking about again ? Something about Sony ,
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by flyuche(m): 8:54pm On Dec 31, 2008
let apple release theirr leopard to the wild and see how it fares. all this zoo and circus treatment it gives its os, is not helping.
ehmm back to the topic.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by samir101ng(m): 9:28pm On Dec 31, 2008
flyuche:

let apple release theirr leopard to the wild and see how it fares. all this zoo and circus treatment it gives its os, is not helping.
ehmm back to the topic.

Sshhhh, Dont let Leopard's brother hear you. His name's Snow Leopard. His gonna be coming soon. Am sure he's gonna beat the crap out of ur boy Windows 7. hehehehehe grin grin grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Afam4eva(m): 3:44pm On Jan 01, 2009
I've used my GATEWAY laptop for a long time now and i haven't had any problem.Should'nt that be the basis by which you know the best laptop.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by zaibatsu(m): 4:33pm On Jan 01, 2009
@Ex
Who first used the chiclet type keys you currently find on an Apple MacBook's keyboard?
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by messiah(m): 7:42pm On Jan 01, 2009
The creator of this poll made a terrible oversight. Sony doesn't make the best laptops, but Apple. Check the polls again.
I'll take an Apple MacBook anytime! The best laptops ever made.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by lynxnoon(m): 10:42pm On Jan 01, 2009
ehhn ok Apple makes good laptops but i dont agree wit dis poll putting Dell as 2nd sha angry
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by amor4ce(m): 11:06pm On Jan 01, 2009
Macintosh at 25: Still the innovation leader
(http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10130065-80.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0)

On January 24, 1984, the Macintosh came into the world, starting the second major revolution in the personal computer industry. Steve Jobs and team took some lessons from Xerox PARC and created the first user-friendly, mass market computer.
By today's standards, it wasn't that user-friendly (some will remember disk-swapping with the original Mac, which had 128KB of RAM and a 400KB 3.5-inch floppy disk drive), but compared with Microsoft's DOS operating system, it was a major technical innovation.

The Macintosh at 25: 1984 - 2009.
The 128K Mac version of the graphical user interface, with icons, fonts, folders, audio and a mouse, started a new era of computing that hasn't yet run its full course. MacPaint, MacWrite, and eventually LaserWriter, PageMaker, and Photoshop led to a revolution in desktop publishing, and AppleTalk made networking relatively simple.

The Macintosh introduced typography to personal computers.
(Credit: Susan Kare)
After nearly 25 years, the Macintosh and its offspring, such as the iPod and iPhone, are still leading in terms of setting the pace for innovation. Mac sales climbed over the past several years, but still represent a small portion of overall PC sales and have slowed down recently. The iPod holds market share in its category and the iPhone has set a new standard for smart phones.
With the annual Macworld conference approaching, and Steve Jobs declining to participate in the proceedings, expectations are low for any major announcements.
Of course, the Mac fan sites and blogs are full of speculation about Steve Jobs' health, a new Mac Mini and iMac, a quad-core Mac laptop, new home servers, a cloud-based version of the iWork suite of applications, an iPod e-book reader, and a Netbook with a 7- to 9-inch screen.
Whatever Apple announces at Macworld, without Jobs spinning his reality distortion field onstage, the result will be less impactful. Nonetheless, don't expect the Mac faithful to walk away from Macworld without something to satisfy their cravings.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by amor4ce(m): 11:14pm On Jan 01, 2009
Apple files 'swipe-gesture' patent application
(http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10129009-37.html?tag=mncol;posts)
(http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20081226/applepatent.jpg)

While children were nestled all snug in their beds, Apple apparently had visions of improved touch-screens in its innovative head.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office revealed a patent application from Apple, dated Christmas Day, for a swipe-gesture system to be used on touch-screen keyboards. It would allow a person to "perform certain functions using swipes across the key area rather than tapping particular keys," according to the patent application, authored by Wayne Westerman.
For example, the application explains that leftward, rightward, upward, and downward swipes might be assigned to inserting a space, backspacing, shifting, or inserting a carriage return.
MacRumors, which was first to point out the patent application, notes that Apple sees swipe gestures being used on top of the iPhone's on-screen keyboard to provide people with quick access to common keys. Ars Technica's Infinite Loop, which like MacRumors explains the patent in more detail, likens the technology to a "Palm Graffiti-like interpretation layer to the standard iPhone keyboard."
Here's a sample gesture depicted in the filing:
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20081226/applepatent.jpg
A downward swipe might be assigned to 'return.'
(Credit: U.S Patent and Trademark Office)
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by chyk91(m): 11:23pm On Jan 01, 2009
i think hp makes the best laptops
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by amor4ce(m): 12:20am On Jan 02, 2009
3D desktop revealed in Apple patent filing
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/11/061036-pat2.png
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/11/061037-pat3.png
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/11/061036-pat1.png

Are you ready for a 3D desktop?
Apple is working on such a project, according to patent filings unearthed by MacRumors. The "multidimensional desktop" applications suggest that Apple wants to take familiar parts of the Mac OS X desktop--such as the dock--and add depth, allowing you to stack documents or folders behind application icons on the "floor" of your desktop.
The idea of a 3D desktop is not new, but neither is it something that people are using in large numbers. When it comes to patent applications there's always a distinct chance that the technology never actually makes it into a product; still, it's always interesting to see what companies are working up in the labs.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by amor4ce(m): 12:25am On Jan 02, 2009
Apple takes the 'touch' out of multitouch
(http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10114351-1.html?tag=mncol)

If you're intrigued by multitouch technology as much as I am, you've probably been following it pretty closely and are at least impressed by its potential.
But what could it do better? According to Apple, taking the "touch" out of multitouch would be a good first step.
According to an article on AppleInsider, Apple has issued a 30-page patent that touches on the implementation of proximity sensors into its multitouch technology on devices larger than the iPhone.

The potential innards of a multitouch panel with proximity sensors don't do much for me, but robots may feel differently.
(Credit: Apple)
The multitouch sensors combined with proximity sensors would let users interact with the given interface without actually having to touch the screen. Now, this seems a tad ridiculous to me, and is anyone really too lazy to move their finger an extra inch? Yeah they are, but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Apple sees some different applications for the technology. According to the company, users would have the capability to turn off the entire touch-screen panel, or just portions of it. In addition, users would able to power down one or more of the computer's systems by dimming or brightening the screen as they see fit.
Awesome, huh?! Alas, no. OK, I may be missing something, but why would you need a proximity sensor to do this? You could just move your finger another inch and accomplish the same thing. The only unique feature Apple cited from the filing was the idea that you could highlight virtual buttons on a display without touching them. This could prepare the button for actually being pushed. Again, how is this useful?
I may be shortsighted (probably am) but the only advantage I can see for this technology is that you wouldn't have to worry about scratching or smudging your screen anymore.
In the filing, Apple reportedly states that the proximity sensors could be made of infrared transmitters and IR receivers. It speculates that a grid of IR receivers could be placed on the panel behind the touch screen like the ones found in the latest iMacs and MacBooks.
Each sensor would be able to detect the presence or absence of an object within its vicinity. Using the data received from multiple receivers, it could then be used to determine the positioning of an object above the panel.
AppleInsider quoted the filing as saying: "The transmitters and receivers can be positioned in a single layer, or on different layers. In some embodiments, the proximity panel is provided in combination with a display. The display can be, for example, a liquid crystal display (LCD) or an organic light emitting diode display (OLED display). Other types of displays can also be used. The IR transmitters and receivers can be positioned at the same layer as the electronic elements of the display (e.g., the LEDs of an OLED display or the pixel cells of an LCD display). Alternatively, the IR transmitters and receivers can be placed at different layers."
OK, so now I know how it works. Still not sold on how useful being able to interact with the panel an inch above it is useful. Unless the proximity can sense movement much more than an inch.
Maybe this is just some Apple engineering geek's fantasy about starting us down the road that would eventually lead to a Minority Report-like interface? OK, I've used that link before, but I'm still impressed by it.

culled from www.cnet.com
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by amor4ce(m): 12:34am On Jan 02, 2009
Apple proposes infrared matrix to aid larger multi-touch designs
(http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/04/apple_proposes_infrared_matrix_to_aid_larger_multi_touch_designs.html)

A fairly new filing from Apple discusses the advantages of using proximity sensors more generously to aid its multi-touch technology on devices larger than the iPhone, which would allow certain functions to be invoked without the user having to physically touch the display.

More specifically, the electronics maker believes the combination of these two different types of sensors -- multi-touch and proximity -- could be used to detect the presence of one or more fingers, body parts or other objects hovering above a touch-sensitive surface.

The detection of fingers, palms or other objects hovering near the touch panel is desirable, Apple says, because it can enable the computing system to perform certain functions without necessitating actual contact with the touch panel, such as turning the entire touch panel or portions of the touch panel on or off, turning the entire display screen or portions of the display screen on or off, powering down one or more subsystems in the computing system, enabling only certain features, dimming or brightening the display screen, and so forth.

"Additionally, merely by placing a finger, hand or other object near a touch panel, virtual buttons on the display screen can be highlighted without actually triggering the 'pushing' of those buttons to alert the user that a virtual button is about to be pushed should the user actually make contact with the touch panel," the filing says. "Furthermore, the combination of touch panel and proximity (hovering) sensor input devices can enable the computing system to perform additional functions not previously available with only a touch panel."

The proximity sensors could be composed of IR transmitters for transmitting IR radiation, and IR receivers for receiving IR radiation reflected by a finger or another object in proximity to the panel. To detect the location of touch events at different positions relative to the panel, multiple IR receivers can be placed along the edges touch-screen's blackened display bezel, like those on the latest iMacs and MacBooks, the company says.

However, the July 2008 filing primarily focuses on an "integrated photodiode matrix," or proximity panel that includes a two-dimensional grid of multiple IR transmitters and a grid of multiple IR receivers.

http://images.appleinsider.com/patent-081204-1.jpg

For example, a grid of IR receivers can be placed on the panel behind a multi-touch screen, allowing each IR receiver to serve as a "proximity pixel" indicating the presence or absence of an object in its vicinity and, in some cases, the distance between the receiver and the object. Data received from multiple receivers in of a panel could then be processed to determine the positioning of one or more objects above the panel.

http://images.appleinsider.com/patent-081204-2.jpg

"The transmitters and receivers can be positioned in a single layer, or on different layers. In some embodiments, the proximity panel is provided in combination with a display," Apple explained. "The display can be, for example, a liquid crystal display (LCD) or an organic light emitting diode display (OLED display). Other types of displays can also be used. The IR transmitters and receivers can be positioned at the same layer as the electronic elements of the display (e.g., the LEDs of an OLED display or the pixel cells of an LCD display). Alternatively, the IR transmitters and receivers can be placed at different layers."

The 30-page filing is credited to Apple employees Steve Hotelling, Brian Lynch, and Jeffrey Bernstein.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by amor4ce(m): 12:39am On Jan 02, 2009
i hope i that i have been able to convince and not confuse comical & cynical flyuche that MACS are way up there.
thank you.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by flyuche(m): 1:09pm On Jan 02, 2009
amor4ce:

i hope i that i have been able to convince and not confuse comical & cynical flyuche that MACS are way up there.
thank you.
no. until apple can produce a mac i can control with my mind grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by chukslee2(m): 6:02pm On Jan 02, 2009
Dell for sure, why? because they are durable, drivers are easy to get, parts are also available to change, and batteries also lasts.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by blackspade(m): 5:28am On Jan 06, 2009
I just purchased a Sony Vaio AW laptop last week, and this is the best laptop I've ever had.

HP is rubbish. Compaq is rubbish. Dell's customer service is rubbish. Sony is the best hands down. wink
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by netotse(m): 6:35am On Jan 06, 2009
flyuche:

now wouldnt that be something. . . ,
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by angelina08(f): 10:34am On Jan 06, 2009
Sony product has been the best product in Laptops, and also in VCD, Radio, Television and Monitors etc. Sony makes the best Laptops.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by ExInferis(m): 11:29am On Jan 06, 2009
flyuche:

its entirely possible, if only you had a mind. wink

blackspade:

HP is rubbish.

are you sure?

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by ExInferis(m): 11:40am On Jan 06, 2009
Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard

the Macbook Wheel.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by ExInferis(m): 11:46am On Jan 06, 2009
ps: above is a satire of apple, courtesy of the Onion Network. its not real.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2009
blackspade:

I just purchased a Sony Vaio AW laptop last week, and this is the best laptop I've ever had.

HP is rubbish. Compaq is rubbish. Dell's customer service is rubbish. Sony is the best hands down. wink

only one week, and its the "best laptop you've ever had"?

based on what benchmarks?
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by lynxnoon(m): 11:08pm On Jan 06, 2009
Ex Inferis:

are you sure?
my guy blackspade, i think u beta tk bak ur statement oh grin grin

@Ex
men i never knew hp cud come up wit cool desktop like this oh wink
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by blackspade(m): 2:39am On Jan 07, 2009
Ex Inferis:

are you sure?
Yes, very sure.

A few months ago I purchased an HP Pavillion laptop (after I had a horrible Compaq Presario), and within the first month the hard drive crashed on me, and the keyboards were also terrible (stuck easily).

Compaq was an entirely different experience. Hands down the worst computer manufacturers. HP bought them, so I guess cheap assembly is now a common practice. . .  lipsrsealed

oyb:

only one week, and its the "best laptop you've ever had"?

based on what benchmarks?
Yes. You have to realize what I came from before (Compaq, HP).

The screen is very bright (1080p display), the keyboard is perfect, and includes all keys, Vaio care is disputably one of the best pc services out there, and much more.

The warranty that came with the laptop is also a big advantage. I could drop this thing accidentally within the first year, and get it repaired for free.

Last but not least, if the price on the laptop is lowered within 14 days of my purchase, they will pay me back the difference. grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by henryskywalker2003(m): 2:06pm On Jan 07, 2009
Yes, very sure.

A few months ago I purchased an HP Pavillion laptop (after I had a horrible Compaq Presario), and within the first month the hard drive crashed on me, and the keyboards were also terrible (stuck easily).

Compaq was an entirely different experience. Hands down the worst computer manufacturers. HP bought them, so I guess cheap assembly is now a common practice. . .

@blackspade you didn't tell us the model of the compaq presario and HP Pavillion you were using so that we may know on what basis you are making ur comparision. I have noticed that a lot of people that replied to this topic usually compare a high end model with a low end model thereby making the wrong assumptions.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by lynxnoon(m): 4:01pm On Jan 07, 2009
henryskywalker2003:

@blackspade you didn't tell us the model of the compaq presario and HP Pavillion you were using so that we may know on what basis you are making ur comparision. I have noticed that a lot of people that replied to this topic usually compare a high end model with a low end model thereby making the wrong assumptions.
abi oh
let me comment on compaq presario n pavillion
i used a compaq presario v4000 for ova 2 yrs n now d only tin d now is d dvd drive is now weak n plays only original dics
My new laptop (< a month old) is HP Dv2990nr Artist Edition n d only tin i feel shud hv bin beta is d batry life which is just ova 2hrs wen playing a movie
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by lynxnoon(m): 4:05pm On Jan 07, 2009
so i feel its how u use a system or wat u need it for dat really matters
cheers wink wink
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by dremoney(m): 12:07am On Jan 09, 2009
all i know is my laptop is vaio FW series and works great!!!!!!!!
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by blackspade(m): 5:43am On Jan 09, 2009
henryskywalker2003:

I had a compaq presario r3000 for a few years, and it was horrible. I rented (rent-a-center) an hp pavilion dv2988 laptop, and it performed very different to what I expected. It was one of those looks nice on the outside computers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

London used Macbook Pro 2013 laptop in Abuja | Kaduna for 200,000 >>>[SOLD √√√√] / How Long Does Your Laptop Battery Last? / iPad Air Unveiled By Apple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.