Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,516 members, 7,770,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:07 AM

Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study (24855 Views)

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / 20 Costly Mistakes That Married Men Make. / Why We Cheat On Our Husbands - Nigerian Women Open Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by r231(m): 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2015
Short men MAKE better husbands than tall ones –Study

They may not be tall like others, and are sometimes overlooked in the dating game when it comes to making choices, but those who are lucky to get married to them may have found more loyal and loving partners, if the findings of a study are worth banking on.It’s about short men being better husbands than the tall ones, according to a study. It is no longer news that many women prefer to date men that are taller than them, but scientists have proven that short men make better lovers.

The study was carried out by two sociologists from New York University, Dalton Conley and Abigail Weitzman. They used data from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics – a University of Michigan project that has been collecting demographic data on 5,000 families for almost 50 years – to look at how a man’s height affects different areas of his relationship, such as the spouse’s attributes, marriage entry and stability and the division of household labour. They also measured the couples’ income, education and height difference between spouses.

The study, published in newrepublic.com, examined two sets of data in 1986 and 2009, and identified 3,033 heterosexual couples to participate in the study. The men who participated in the study as respondents were aged between 23 and 45 and all were either married or cohabiting with a woman.

The height of the men ranged from 4 feet 6 inches (4’6”) to 7 feet, and their height, in relation to their partners,’ ranged from nine inches shorter to two feet taller.

For easy identification, the researchers categorised the men into three groups. For the first set of data in 1986, ‘Short’ men were defined as 5 feet 6 inches or less and tall men defined as 6 feet 1 inch and above, while the set of data in 2009 defined short men as 5 feet 7 inches below and tall men as 6 feet 2 inches and above.

After the exercise, the researchers found that short men in relationships are better husbands than tall men because they were found to be more honest, caring and less likely to cheat or divorce, making them ideal partners. According to the comparison of the information given by the partners of the men who participated in the study, short men work harder, earn higher income and are less likely to divorce than tall men. They also do more house chores.

Even though short men were more likely to have a harder time getting married because they are viewed as less masculine, unless they are rich enough to attract the kind of women they desire, they work harder to make more money and exert their authority over their home.

The researchers said, “Our findings showed that short men are many times overcompensating for their lack of height by earning a higher income and being wonderful personalities, and many women who have been in a relationship with such men did confirm that short men are more inclined to be eager to please, as they seek to compete against their taller counterparts.

“We also found that short men were less likely to get divorced, more likely to share housework, and work hard to be the breadwinners at home. These men were somewhat less likely to get married, with an 18 per cent marriage rate lower than men of average height.

“We believe this is because short men may have a harder time getting married, since they are viewed as less masculine by the society, but when they do find a partner, the divorce rates are 32 per cent lower compared to the rate for tall men.”

The researchers hypothesise that because physical characteristics such as height, is related to masculinity, short men may use other aspects of the relationship, such as income, to demonstrate their manliness, and that they are also more likely to marry less educated and younger women for better influence.

Conley and Weitzman noted that tall men may be aware of the manliness status that is conferred by their tallness, which might make them less motivated to lend a hand at home.

As much as many women prefer tall men for a relationship, it is noteworthy that dating a taller man does not mean protecting the woman from falling objects or to physically fight the bad guys around town.

However, some women who spoke to our correspondent said they would prefer a man taller than them so that they could have tall children, coupled with the ‘protective’ symbol tall men exhibit. Nevertheless, such women who prefer tall men did admit that the best husbands are not the tallest or richest, but the ones who are sensitive to their emotional needs and help out with some house chores and in taking care of the children.

Weitzman said, “Short men make stable marriages because they are desperate to prevail. They live in a world of taller men and since they know the odds, the desperation to win through makes them good husbands.

“The way it is with short men is the same with countries with vast natural resources, such as oil and gold, tend to be less economically prosperous than countries that have none. This is because resources that are easily found are easily squandered. So, short men, who are aware of the prejudice against them by women tend to do more to justify their masculinity, which tall men enjoy by nature.”

She explained that there seems to be an almost universal agreement among men and women that they would prefer to be in a relationship where the man is taller, leaving short men with a smaller pool of women to date and marry from.

According to her, even short men are more likely to marry women who are closer to their height or taller.

Conley, on the other hand, said, “Our findings portray a pattern in which short men compensate for their status disadvantage by enacting other types of stereotypical masculinity to compensate for the masculinity ‘perception gap’ by displaying other admirable behaviours.

“It seems to mean that when a man is lacking in height, which is an attribute most humans value for its dominance and masculinity symbol, he needs to use another way to signify that he has the ability to do what people commonly associate with tallness.

“What I am certain is that shorter men probably more often than not put much more commitment, energy and effort into a relationship than the taller counterparts.

Commenting on the study, a psychologist, Prof. Toba Elegbeleye, said such a finding might not be totally correct because short men are known to be more aggressive and usually defend their positions forcefully because they have a natural misgiving that people may want to cheat them.

He said there may be need for such a study to be carried out in this kind of society but that since attraction is the central issue in marriage, they would have a better home if they and their partners find themselves attractive, and when the partner has learnt to understand them.

He said, “Even though short men are given to anxiety, anger and aggression more than tall men, if the woman has been made submissive, out of understanding, so as not to arouse the husband’s anger, they may have a happier and lasting marriage.

“It does not mean all of them are always aggressive, but the success of their marriage would depend on the understanding between individual spouses. So, the marriage will last longer and be happier if one party has learnt to understand the anger threshold of the other party and is ready to accommodate it.”

http://nigeriacamera.net/short-men-make-better-husbands-than-tall-ones-study/

2 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by decode55(m): 12:57pm On Jan 03, 2015
In my opinion, height isn't a criteria to judge something as transient and unpredictable as happiness in Marriage.
undecided

3 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by herald9: 1:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
hehehe... short men and their short tempers?

#feedmemore

3 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Valwezzy: 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2015
mtcheeewww

Who conducted d research?
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by nedu2000(m): 1:13pm On Jan 03, 2015
op........how tall are you? grin
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by r231(m): 1:15pm On Jan 03, 2015
nedu2000:
op........how tall are you? grin

Figure it out....

1 Like

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by EfemenaXY: 1:17pm On Jan 03, 2015
Okay. So R231 is a short, angry man. cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by r231(m): 1:20pm On Jan 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:
Okay. So R231 is a short, angry man. cheesy cheesy

grin cheesy
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by englishmart(m): 1:31pm On Jan 03, 2015
probably because they are scared of misbehaving because their wives are just managing them.

6 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by justi4jesu(f): 1:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hmmmm Short men with plenty palava cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Richiy(f): 1:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
Still wouldn't make me marry a man am taller than. My dad is short enough for us all

1 Like

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Chillis: 1:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
No offence but I run from these short men oh.

When they grab you ehn, their hand be like moulded cement..
Very aggressive too.
see them vibrating to show themselves. grin
Don't ever break a short man heart, him go look for you enter any hole you hide in grin.

But in all, they take care of those that love them back.

6 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by EfemenaXY: 1:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
Chillis:

Very aggressive too.
see him vibrating ti show himself. grin
Don't ever break a short man heart, him go look for you enter any hole you hide in grin.

Chilli! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Chillis: 1:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Chilli! grin grin grin

There was this one that was always calling my no. My colleague then gave him my no. Unto that we were from same village. Who even tell am I wan marry my village man sef.

The guy call no be small, when I eventually sight him, atalaka.

I pick race o. After our outing, walking back to my kikiwa motor, the guy grab my hands and was like, I will see you some other time .
Omo, the hand strong no be small.
E call so Tay my battery die. I dodge this guy tire grin

Anyway, I finally pursue him with my trick. I tell am say make him burrow me 60k. The guy tear race grin

That was how I was free grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by r231(m): 1:47pm On Jan 03, 2015
Chillis:

Very aggressive too.

grin cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by EfemenaXY: 2:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
Chillis:

There was this one that was always calling my no. My colleague then gave him my no. Unto that we were from same village. Who even tell am I wan marry my village man sef.

I pick race o. After our outing, walking back to my kikiwa motor, the guy grab my hands and was like, I will see you some other time .

Anyway, I finally pursue him with my trick. I tell am say make him burrow me 60k. The guy tear race grin

Lol!

Persistent, short, and stingy. Chillis, you dey pack them sha grin grin grin

You should have said you needed 100K. Nice round figure... cheesy
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by dre11(m): 2:07pm On Jan 03, 2015
Then they grab you ehn, their hand be like moulded cement..
Very aggressive too.

See description
Short men don die for your hand

2 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Chillis: 2:11pm On Jan 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Lol!

cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
The survey was all about short men in U.S. maybe their short men there are better in character. But please, Short men in Naija are different o.

3 Likes

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
Chillis:

Hehehehehehe. You crack me up.
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by youngice(m): 3:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
Tell this to my mum
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by lertee(f): 3:21pm On Jan 03, 2015
This is for the US not Nigeria. A naija man will always be naija regardless of his height. cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by EfemenaXY: 3:21pm On Jan 03, 2015
Sophyrocks:
The survey was all about short men in U.S. maybe their short men there are better in character. But please, Short men in Naija are different o.

Really?

How? Abeg explain... cheesy
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Really?

How? Abeg explain... cheesy
They are known for their short tempers as a result of low self esteem and fear of being taken for granted by others taller than they are. Some of them are very harsh and aggressive.
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Pennywise(m): 3:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
A short man's options are limited, so they have to behave. The problem really is with the women who have the image of an ideal spouse as being tall. . . . .. There is a limit to which you can hold temptation afterall a man is a man. Tall men do not come specially immuned to temptations.
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Truckpusher(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
Chillis:

See broad daylight lies. cheesy
The bro prolly hit your asss shege with his short muscles that are more firm compared to that of tall dudes which forced you to have a rethink if this is what you'd be ready to be receiving all night long for years. tongue
You can't even dig. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by Truckpusher(m): 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Lol!

If you believe that story ,I bet you would believe anything. angry

1 Like

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by coogar: 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pennywise:
A short man's options are limited, so they have to behave. The problem really is with the women who have the image of an ideal spouse as being tall. . . . .. There is a limit to which you can hold temptation afterall a man is a man. Tall men do not come specially immuned to temptations.

short men, short fuse....
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by EfemenaXY: 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
Truckpusher:
If you believe that story ,I bet you would believe anything. angry

Why na?

Are / were you the rejected short guy? cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by EfemenaXY: 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pennywise:

Now that is the gospel truth! (the bolded part).

Even if you don't agree, just think of it this way: is it natural for a lady to look down at the guy while he has to constantly look up to her when conversing or even just being in each other's presence? Would you feel comfortable moving with a lady who is over a head taller than you? grin grin

That aside, abeg explain what you mean by immunity to temptations. Who's being tempted by what? undecided
Re: Short Men MAKE Better Husbands Than Tall Ones –study by EfemenaXY: 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
Sophyrocks:

They are known for their short tempers as a result of low self esteem and fear of being taken for granted by others taller than they are. Some of them are very harsh and aggressive.

Lol!

But that is the norm with all vertically challenged men... cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Mum Is Unconsolable One Month After / Women, Stop Lying To Your Husbands And Playing Victim Afterwards! / Is It Right For Me To Ask My Mum To Divorce My Dad??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.