Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) (1072 Views)

Ogoni People Hold Massive Protest In Rivers State Over Killings.Photos / Ogoni People Pledges Support For Biafra, Seeks Forgiveness From The Igbos. / What Really Caused The Nigerian Civil War Of 1967 - 1969? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by MORNDEW(m): 7:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
First of all, let me seize this opportunity to wish all my readers, fans, critics and well wishers Happy New Year. Last year was not a good one for me but i belive, and by the grace of God, that things will be better.

The year 2014, had lots of talking point of which am still trying to compile. One of such talking points this time around, is the one in my State where the Ogonis believed that they were short-changed in the political equation of the State. Before now, there has been rumours in different quaters that the Ogonis should be given a chance to Govern the State. In december 2014, the APC caucus in the State declared Dakuku Adol Peterside as their concensus candidate for the 2015 Governorship election.

There was outcry from the people of Ogoni. Some disgruntled elements whom am surprised by their action carried out a violent protest which never went well. Why? One of the spokesperson to the chairman of the PDP in the State Mr.Jerry Needam shouted to high heavens that Amacechi and the APC have disapointed Rivers people.
Then came the PDP primaries, and my former Vice-Chancellor, prof. Don Baridam was in contention. As expected, Ezenwo Nyesom Wike emerged as the winner. Baridam was all smiles as if he won the election and i did not hear Jerry Needam speak or condemn the PDP for not giving the ticket to an Ogoni man.

What realy, do the Ogonis want in Rivers state? Before the emergence of Peterside, Magnus Abe had been touted as one of the likely Candidate of the APC in the Fortcoming election. But when i took time to ask my friends and some of the Ogoni people that i know (because i like him and wish he gets the ticket) who they want, they said they don’t like Magnus. How do a political party sell someone who is not loved by his people?

Anyone in Rivers State will agree with me that Prof. Baridam had no political structure prior to the primary elections so how do you expect him to win a primary also contested by the ”almighty Wike. And when he did not win, what was his body language? How did Jerry Needam an Ogoni son receive the news? I just don’t want to believe that the Ogonis are divided among themselves.

Weeks later, the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP) staged a peaceful protest in PortHarcourt. To me it was uncalled for.

Truthfuly, it was clear the Ogonis had no Strong candidate to present to Rivers people for election and did not show strong backing to any candidate so why the fuss.
Source: www.enlightennigeriablog.

Princewill Chimereze.
Writter, Public Affairs Analyst and Social commentator

1 Share

Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by Olukokosir(m): 7:58pm On Jan 03, 2015
lemme book space first ... I go den read am
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by oduastates: 8:19pm On Jan 03, 2015
Self determination.Preferably Their own region or their own country

The ogonis have been consistent in their demands .
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by DONOCSO(m): 8:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
Omo you get case.
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by otokx(m): 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
The Ogoni's did not do their homework at all; the worse part is that they have no back up plan. They should meet both APC and PDP with a list of demands; depending on who makes a better offer they should support.
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by MORNDEW(m): 9:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
otokx:
The Ogoni's did not do their homework at all; the worse part is that they have no back up plan. They should meet both APC and PDP with a list of demands; depending on who makes a better offer they should support.
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by MORNDEW(m): 9:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
otokx:
Exactly.
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by stebell(m): 9:11pm On Jan 03, 2015
I jus wanna ask do political party give ticket based on agitation or yu contest a primary and get the ticket.

To me, I think the Ogonis are selfish and greedy. Jus imagine since Ken died, oil exploration stopped in that area and they hav been given appointments and receiving oil revenue derived frm other LGAs.
There are some LGAs that hav not even had a senator and they are not crying to high heavens.

For me, the Ogonis shud wait like 12yrs tym b4 they shud be considered.

Stebell, PH City.
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by size40: 9:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
my anger with d Ogonis is this; they all want to make it look as if they were cheated out of APC for not anointing an Ogoni son by going on protest. what will happened if an Ogoni man emerged a candidate in PDP? They all saw how wike used violence against their own candidates plus those from d Riverine Area. I feel so ashamed coming from d same state with likes of jerry nedam. when u hear Jerry Nedam talk, u will all see d emptiness in him. APC is not d only party where the Ogonis should make their demands. Or are they afraid of wike? for those who believe in rotation based of senatorial district, they should support Dakuku because they stand to gain than under wike. Am an Ikwerre guy but I won't vote for wike I swear.
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by MORNDEW(m): 9:58pm On Jan 03, 2015
size40:
my anger with d Ogonis is this; they all want to make it look as if they were cheated out of APC for not anointing an Ogoni son by going on protest. what will happened if an Ogoni man emerged a candidate in PDP? They all saw how wike used violence against their own candidates plus those from d Riverine Area. I feel so ashamed coming from d same state with likes of jerry nedam. when u hear Jerry Nedam talk, u will all see d emptiness in him. APC is not d only party where the Ogonis should make their demands. Or are they afraid of wike? for those who believe in rotation based of senatorial district, they should support Dakuku because they stand to gain than under wike. Am an Ikwerre guy but I won't vote for wike I swear.
Why?
Re: What Really Do The Ogoni People Want (politically) by MORNDEW(m): 1:29pm On Jan 04, 2015
oduastates:
Self determination.Preferably Their own region or their own country

The ogonis have been consistent in their demands .
Their own country? Why?

(1) (Reply)

Premium Times: Jimi Agbaje Scores The Highest Mark In Lagos Debate / I Have A Question For Ambode And APC / State Of Confusion! Checkout This Woman Outfit! [APC+PDP]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.