Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,238 members, 7,953,898 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:30 AM

7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays (2803 Views)

New Testament Verse Christians Ignore / Why Men Are Having Sex With Their Maids Nowadays-Bishop Charles & Caro Ighile / 7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 04, 2015
My best time of the week, you guessed right. It is MY SUNDAY SERIES.
Happy New Year and I am glad you made it to 2015, this year we should strive to know Jesus Christ more. Now you claim to be born again, but there are 7 deadly sins people parade around themselves with everyday but don't know it, its very important to talk about these silent deadly sins. PRIDE, ENVY,GLUTTONY,LUST,WRATH,SLOTH, GREED.

1. PRIDE: According to the Merriam Webster dictionary 'a feeling that you respect yourself and deserve to be respected by other people'. Many Christians have self-pride that they are born again,they are baptized, they go to church regularly,bla,bla,bla. Being holy is good but its not something one should boast of.(Ephesians 2:8-9) Pride is one of the main traits of satan, this we should not emulate. Having one of the traits of the devil will not let us see the kingdom of God.Remember the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector?(Luke 18:9-14). As Chritstians, we should embrace the opposite of pride which is HUMILITY. A trait which Jesus Christ showed at his birth and death.
2.ENVY: This is a state of being jealous of your next neighbour for having what you don't have. I remember of a story sometime last year or the year before. A pastor killed his fellow pastor because he felt his ministry was progressing more than his. Surprised that I mentioned pastor? Men of God are humans like you and I, so are prone to mistakes like every other. Envy is a deadly sin, that leads to other vices like stealing,murder,gossip and false witness.Galatians 5:26 says we should not be self-conceited and envy one another. Remember Naboth's vineyard in the book of 1st Kings? Naboth was a powerful king that had many possesions and a beautiful wife Jezebel, but he was interested in Naboth's vineyard but Naboth turned him down, hence he was overcome with envy and from the evil counsel of his wife, innocent Naboth was murdered. As Christians we should be happy for our neighbour and be content with what we have.(Hebrews 13:5) Let's embrace Kindness.

3. GLUTTONY: As they say, too much of everything is not good. According to the freedictionary.com , gluttony is defined as 'A person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink' .This person eats till his belly bursts or till he chokes. Gluttony is usually the sibling of greed, the ability of not being satisfied. Remember in the book of Genesis, Esau sold his birthright for a pot of porridge. Food is one of the cravings of the flesh, and once we obey our flesh instead of our spirit, the danger is condemnation. One of the first temptations of Jesus was food, and his reply was. 'Man does not live by bread alone but by every word of God.'(Matthew 4:1) .Some Christians eat excessively and indirectly make it their idol.(1st Corinthians 10:7)Some Christians take pride in not smoking and drinking but grub heavily,this is still wrong. Remember the rich man and Lazarus in the book of Luke? The rich man lived in excess, while Lazarus was always hoping to eat the remnants of his excesses. At the end,one went to experience torment forever while the other one enjoyed heavenly bliss.As Christians we should embrace TEMPERANCE or self-restraint.
4. LUST: Matthew 5:28 says ' 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.' Most of the time, every sin commited starts from the heart. Lust is not just sensual and passionate desire of the same(disgusting) or opposite sex. Most time, people lust after worldly desires. Take a look at Ahab lusting after Naboth's vineyard, Esau lusting after Jacob's porridge. Most christians lust after wealth, that's why some jump from church to church, to know where the miracle at? David lusted after Bathsheba(2 Sam 11) which led to adultery, then murder. Galatians 5:16 says we should walk by the spirit in order not to gratify the desires of the flesh. As Christians we should embrace CHASTITY. Remember Leviticus 19 says be holy because I the LORD am holy.
5. WRATH(Anger): We all get angry,but it becomes a problem when we let our anger carry on to the next day.(Ephesians 4:26). As christians, we should learn to control our anger or we will regret our actions later on. For in James 1:20, it says the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Anger is a tool satan can capitalize on, remember the tribulations of Job, Job's wife told him to 'curse God and die'. It is also said in the scriptures, that our God is slow to anger and rich in mercy. We should be thankful to God everyday for him being slow to anger and rich in mercy, for if he is quick to anger, no one will be saved.
6: SLOTH(Laziness): Like they say, the idle mind is satan's workshop, not only workshop,it is also his lab,manufacting plant, factory. Out of Laziness, some christians take a nap. Proverbs 12:24 says the hand of the diligent will rule , but the slothful will be forced to labour. And ofcourse you know the saying, those who don't work should not eat.(2nd Thessalonians 3:10). Most lazy people, they want the best in life but don't want to work.(Proverbs 13:4). Remember the lazy servant that was given one talent? (Matthew 25:26). As Christians we should be DILIGENT in whatever we do.2nd Corinthians 8:7 says whatever is worth doing, is worth doing well. And remember Philipians 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

7:GREED: According to the dictionary, it is the insatiable desire to want more and more. Greed only takes care of your wants but doesn't reflect on your needs. Now many Christians crave wealth in the name of 'prosperity' at the expense of salvation but James 4:3 points out that our prayers are not answered because we want to satisfy our own desires. We all want to be seen in flashy cars, massive cribs, and all world pleasures. In the temptation of Jesus in Matthew 4, Jesus replied Satan, worship God and worship him alone. Mark 8:36 says what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world lose his only soul. As Christians, we should learn to give, we should embrace CHARITY. For on the day of judgement, we would be asked if we clothed our neighbour when naked, fed him when he was hungry or gave him water when he was thirsty or provide shelter when homeless. Matthew 6:33 says we should seek the kingdom of God before anything and everything shall be added unto you.
My dear brothers and sisters in the LORD, it is important to know the deadly vices and its virtues. For ignorance of these leads to damnation. Happy Sunday guys! Watch out next week for My Sunday Series....

1 Like

Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by 9inches(m): 9:24pm On Jan 04, 2015
True. But is there any of the other deadly sin not being commited by christians?
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 04, 2015
9inches:
True. But is there any of the other deadly sins not being commited by christians?
Ofcourse there are other deadly sins, but these 7 are usually ignored. You know the scripture says 'The heart of man is very wicked'
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 04, 2015
Nice one op, some Christians have forgotten what sin is all about, they go about looking for a lady wearing earrings or attachment to condemn.

Holiness is beyond single sisters wearing maternity gown and brothers wearing jump up trousers. Holiness is inward . just be moderate. Supermartins repent. lolz
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by AdeniyiA(m): 9:44pm On Jan 04, 2015
8. Fornication nd Adultery ;
I call these destiny destroyers ...
the devil is using fornication to destroy d lives of many youths

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by giles14(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2015
Sacluxpaint:
My best time of the week, you guessed right. It is MY SUNDAY SERIES.
Happy New Year and I am glad you made it to 2015, this year we should strive to know Jesus Christ more. Now you claim to be born again, but there are 7 deadly sins people parade around themselves with everyday but don't know it, its very important to talk about these silent deadly sins. PRIDE, ENVY,GLUTTONY,LUST,WRATH,SLOTH, GREED.

1. PRIDE: According to the Merriam Webster dictionary 'a feeling that you respect yourself and deserve to be respected by other people'. Many Christians have self-pride that they are born again,they are baptized, they go to church regularly,bla,bla,bla. Being holy is good but its not something one should boast of.(Ephesians 2:8-9) Pride is one of the main traits of satan, this we should not emulate. Having one of the traits of the devil will not let us see the kingdom of God.Remember the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector?(Luke 18:9-14). As Chritstians, we should embrace the opposite of pride which is HUMILITY. A trait which Jesus Christ showed at his birth and death.
2.ENVY: This is a state of being jealous of your next neighbour for having what you don't have. I remember of a story sometime last year or the year before. A pastor killed his fellow pastor because he felt his ministry was progressing more than his. Surprised that I mentioned pastor? Men of God are humans like you and I, so are prone to mistakes like every other. Envy is a deadly sin, that leads to other vices like stealing,murder,gossip and false witness.Galatians 5:26 says we should not be self-conceited and envy one another. Remember Naboth's vineyard in the book of 1st Kings? Naboth was a powerful king that had many possesions and a beautiful wife Jezebel, but he was interested in Naboth's vineyard but Naboth turned him down, hence he was overcome with envy and from the evil counsel of his wife, innocent Naboth was murdered. As Christians we should be happy for our neighbour and be content with what we have.(Hebrews 13:5) Let's embrace Kindness.

3. GLUTTONY: As they say, too much of everything is not good. According to the freedictionary.com , gluttony is defined as 'A person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink' .This person eats till his belly bursts or till he chokes. Gluttony is usually the sibling of greed, the ability of not being satisfied. Remember in the book of Genesis, Esau sold his birthright for a pot of porridge. Food is one of the cravings of the flesh, and once we obey our flesh instead of our spirit, the danger is condemnation. One of the first temptations of Jesus was food, and his reply was. 'Man does not live by bread alone but by every word of God.'(Matthew 4:1) .Some Christians eat excessively and indirectly make it their idol.(1st Corinthians 10:7)Some Christians take pride in not smoking and drinking but grub heavily,this is still wrong. Remember the rich man and Lazarus in the book of Luke? The rich man lived in excess, while Lazarus was always hoping to eat the remnants of his excesses. At the end,one went to experience torment forever while the other one enjoyed heavenly bliss.As Christians we should embrace TEMPERANCE or self-restraint.
4. LUST: Matthew 5:28 says ' 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.' Most of the time, every sin commited starts from the heart. Lust is not just sensual and passionate desire of the same(disgusting) or opposite sex. Most time, people lust after worldly desires. Take a look at Ahab lusting after Naboth's vineyard, Esau lusting after Jacob's porridge. Most christians lust after wealth, that's why some jump from church to church, to know where the miracle at? David lusted after Bathsheba(2 Sam 11) which led to adultery, then murder. Galatians 5:16 says we should walk by the spirit in order not to gratify the desires of the flesh. As Christians we should embrace CHASTITY. Remember Leviticus 19 says be holy because I the LORD am holy.
5. WRATH(Anger): We all get angry,but it becomes a problem when we let our anger carry on to the next day.(Ephesians 4:26). As christians, we should learn to control our anger or we will regret our actions later on. For in James 1:20, it says the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Anger is a tool satan can capitalize on, remember the tribulations of Job, Job's wife told him to 'curse God and die'. It is also said in the scriptures, that our God is slow to anger and rich in mercy. We should be thankful to God everyday for him being slow to anger and rich in mercy, for if he is quick to anger, no one will be saved.
6: SLOTH(Laziness): Like they say, the idle mind is satan's workshop, not only workshop,it is also his lab,manufacting plant, factory. Out of Laziness, some christians take a nap. Proverbs 12:24 says the hand of the diligent will rule , but the slothful will be forced to labour. And ofcourse you know the saying, those who don't work should not eat.(2nd Thessalonians 3:10). Most lazy people, they want the best in life but don't want to work.(Proverbs 13:4). Remember the lazy servant that was given one talent? (Matthew 25:26). As Christians we should be DILIGENT in whatever we do.2nd Corinthians 8:7 says whatever is worth doing, is worth doing well. And remember Philipians 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

7:GREED: According to the dictionary, it is the insatiable desire to want more and more. Greed only takes care of your wants but doesn't reflect on your needs. Now many Christians crave wealth in the name of 'prosperity' at the expense of salvation but James 4:3 points out that our prayers are not answered because we want to satisfy our own desires. We all want to be seen in flashy cars, massive cribs, and all world pleasures. In the temptation of Jesus in Matthew 4, Jesus replied Satan, worship God and worship him alone. Mark 8:36 says what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world lose his only soul. As Christians, we should learn to give, we should embrace CHARITY. For on the day of judgement, we would be asked if we clothed our neighbour when naked, fed him when he was hungry or gave him water when he was thirsty or provide shelter when homeless. Matthew 6:33 says we should seek the kingdom of God before anything and everything shall be added unto you.
My dear brothers and sisters in the LORD, it is important to know the deadly vices and its virtues. For ignorance of these leads to damnation. Happy Sunday guys! Watch out next week for My Sunday Series....
are u a Catholic?
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 04, 2015
AdeniyiA:
8. Fornication nd Adultery ;
I call these destiny destroyers ...
the devil is using fornication to destroy d lives of many youths

Good addition , but it still goes with lusts. Most sins are usually from the heart and love of one's self. Putting yourself before God, remember in the book of John. He said I am the vine and ye are the branches, cut out from me and you can do NOTHING
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by 9inches(m): 9:52pm On Jan 04, 2015
Sacluxpaint:

Ofcourse there are other deadly sins, but these 7 are usually ignored. You know the scripture says 'The heart of man is very wicked'
Well I was taught in catechism they are just 7, which you just mentioned.
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
giles14:
are u a Catholic?

I was born a Catholic, but at the moment I happen to be an evangelical Christian. I am more about the word of God than any denomination.
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2015
So if this are sin, we are all going to hell, because everyone atleast deed any one of it name above xpecially that pride!
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2015
crazysaint:
So if this are sin, we are all going to hell, because everyone atleast deed any one of it name above xpecially that pride!

My brother love of one self is a straight ticket for damnation. Even when living a holy life, its not something you should brag or boast about. Satan was cast into hell because of pride. And no we won't go to hell when you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. Romans 10:9 should be your guide.
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by motherlode: 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
Gluttony, okay ooo. But " food is life " you know want make them chop belle full abi esau tell you sey him belle burst?!. grin
Re: 7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2015
motherlode:
Gluttony, okay ooo. But " food is life " you know want make them chop belle full abi esau tell you sey him belle burst?!. grin

Yes food is life of the flesh but not of the spirit. Eat to live, not live to eat.

(1) (Reply)

Would The World End This September ? / Spiritual Warfare - Joseph Prince / Why Is Your God Scared Of Hospitals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.