Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,154 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? (1291 Views)

7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. / Check Out This 10 Cutting Edge Technologies Soon To Be Used In Cars. / Turbo In Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? by GiggsTk(m): 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2015
I've read at one time or the other that cars older than 15 years are no longer allowed in he country, but I still see people making enquiries on such cars and the dealers giving them costs on getting it instead of warnings as per the policy restricting it's importation.
So I'll like to know; what's really going on?
Car importers, clearing agents and all, your contributions are needed
Re: Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? by GiggsTk(m): 3:52pm On Jan 05, 2015
Please, contributions or fact needed
Re: Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? by bravolad(m): 4:57pm On Jan 05, 2015
Such importation attract higher import duty. You can still import cars above 15 years but your duty payment will be high. Similarly, in the UK & US, you can still use such cars but with higher tax and insurance. This is why such cars are cheap over there.
Re: Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? by AutosBay(m): 6:08pm On Jan 05, 2015
If you are bringing in the vehicle through road i.e Boarders its highly illegal but you could ship it through container, but the clearing cost and shipping cost is the same thing as shipping a newer brand.

1 Like

Re: Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? by bravolad(m): 8:31pm On Jan 05, 2015
AutosBay:
If you are bringing in the vehicle through road i.e Boarders its highly illegal but you could ship it through container, but the clearing cost and shipping cost is the same thing as shipping a newer brand.

Not exactly true that the cost of clearing is the same as a brand new vehicle. So, if I ship a 1997 Mazda, I could pay as much as I pay for a 2014 Toyota Corolla? Just a few months ago, I ship a 1997 Nassan Almera via roro on Grimaldi and paid my Agent N250,000 to clear. It could have also been cheaper if I used other shipping lines. I could have paid between N150 ,000- N180,000 if it were 2000 model.

It is still permissible to import cars above 15 years but as I said earlier, higher import duty is probably the penalty for such.
Re: Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? by GiggsTk(m): 9:35am On Jan 07, 2015
bravolad:

Not exactly true that the cost of clearing is the same as a brand new vehicle. So, if I ship a 1997 Mazda, I could pay as much as I pay for a 2014 Toyota Corolla? Just a few months ago, I ship a 1997 Nassan Almera via roro on Grimaldi and paid my Agent N250,000 to clear. It could have also been cheaper if I used other shipping lines. I could have paid between N150 ,000- N180,000 if it were 2000 model.

It is still permissible to import cars above 15 years but as I said earlier, higher import duty is probably the penalty for such.

Thanks so much my ogas, was looking forward to go on a project with a Volkswagen golf mk2, I've been on some forums and had seen some huge transformation go into these oldies"
Re: Is It Still Official Or Legal To Ship In Cars Older Than 15 Years? by GiggsTk(m): 9:36am On Jan 07, 2015
bravolad:

Thanks so much my ogas, was looking forward to go on a project with a Volkswagen golf mk2, I've been on some forums and had seen some huge transformation go into these "oldies" so I'm hoping to try such around the end of the year, but was also considering my chances of getting a nice one for the project.

(1) (Reply)

Every Time You Step On Your Car's Brakes, You're Wasting Fuel. / Help,help, Help! Was I Duped? Mercedes Lovers / Very Clean 2009 Toyota 4runner (sport Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.