Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,934 members, 7,824,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Now Nigerians Needs To Pay To Watch Tv - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Now Nigerians Needs To Pay To Watch Tv (908 Views)

How much Will You Pay To Watch Over 7000 Movies / What Kodi Addons And Configurations Do You Use To Watch TV? / Top 10 TV Series To Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now Nigerians Needs To Pay To Watch Tv by abbey4christ(m): 5:42pm On Jan 05, 2015
I have been reading about this for over 2 years now if not more but lately I stumbled on an article on punch newspaper with the caption 'Nigerians to spend 700bn on digital TV by 2015'.This really bust my bubble and got me to my writing table. The first thing I had to ruminate on is does an uninformed Nigerian(like baba Sikira next door) know of this planned transition that is set to take place in July 31st,2015? I think the answer is not far fetched. As we all know that Nigerians which am no exception like free things popularly called 'awoof'.

The implication of this planned transition is that by August 1,2015(that is if it's not postponed again) an average Nigerian like Papa Chukwuemeka somewhere in Anambra cannot switch on his TV set with his little indoor or outdoor antenna(of course some even use wire cable and still get clear if not close to quality signal)and enjoy any terrestial TV station without his decoder or set up box or digital TV(which is definately not free,you have to cough out some cash).

The Nigerian Broadcasting Commission(NBC) has frequently argued that they have been compelled to push the date of this transition forward several times due to some curtailing circumstance ranging from unpreparedness of broadcasting stations to the burden of huge investment in new transmitters.

I won't fail to highlight some of the advantages associated with this transition which are; better-quality picture, lower operating cost for broadcast and transmission after the initial upgrade cost. Another peculiar advantage is that a Zamfara man like Alhaji Bala can sit in the comfort of his room and watch OGTV in Ogun state just because of the wider coverage.

In 2005 the International
Telecommunications Union announced June 17,2015 as the final switch off date for analogue broadcasting
. The Netherlands became the first country to yield to this transition just a year after the policy was announced. Other countries like Andorra,Finland,Sweden,Switzerland,Denmark,Isle of Man and Norway also followed suit. Many othe countries have joined the lead.
I think the NBC needs to look at the bigger picture of how Nigerians will acclimatize and yield to this new policy. To cushion the effect of this negative reaction NBC needs to do the needful in senstizing viewers about this planned transition. Just as some of you reading this may be hearing it for the first time,the NBC shouldn't only sensitize and inform broadcasting houses about this transition,viewers must be properly informed and educated about this planned change. This education and senstization is very imperative because viewers are at the receiving end of this proposed transition and therefore shouldn't be caught unaware.

Idris Abiodun Abimbola
Swift McAbbey
Re: Now Nigerians Needs To Pay To Watch Tv by wise7(m): 5:50pm On Jan 05, 2015
i hope it won't be an avenue to loot our money + what will happen to the dstv and others
Re: Now Nigerians Needs To Pay To Watch Tv by Fabdedon(m): 5:51pm On Jan 05, 2015
That same pa chukwuemeka in Anambra state would calculate how much he would pay first for the whole year and next and decide to buy Mytv strong free-to-air for eternal and enjoy at least they have bbc and aljezera, grin
Re: Now Nigerians Needs To Pay To Watch Tv by Basildvalour(m): 5:55pm On Jan 05, 2015
But with my DSTV I can watch some local stations. So, I won't have any need for local stations even apart from local news and events which STV, Channels, NTA on my DSTV could easily do cos I'll prefer to pay for a DSTV subscription than that of a local TV and that's why DSTV gives me more.

But whats happening to the bill for the reduction in DSTV subscription tariffs?
Re: Now Nigerians Needs To Pay To Watch Tv by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 05, 2015
Who dey watch all those local TV station before
Where DSTV dey

Op rest ur mind he no fit happen even if it happen starTime and Gotv don cheap.

(1) (Reply)

Top Animes / Man Of Steel – Movie Review / Will Leonardo Dicaprio Finally Get His First Oscar Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.