Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,586 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms (1335 Views)

Senators React To Obasanjo, Babangida And Abdulsalami's Meeting In Minna / I won't Lose Sleep Over Criticisms Says Buhari / Buhari's Media Adviser Express Frustration Over Destructive Criticisms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by ducii: 9:54am On Jan 08, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday replied his critics, lashing out at “elder statesmen making provocative statements that could could set the country ablaze”. He called them motor park touts.
Dr. Jonathan did not mention the names of such statesmen.
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has severally attacked Jonathan’s administration. He, last week, accused the government of squandering Nigeria’s foreign reserves. Former military president Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, in an interview, spoke of corruption, saying compared to what he reads, his regime, which many describe as “very corrupt” was a saint.
Speaking while receiving the Northern Elders Council (NEC) at the Presidential Villa, Jonathan said: “Some people call themselves statesmen but they are not statesmen; they are just ordinary politicians. For you to be a statesman is not because you have occupied a big office before but the question is what are you bringing to bear? Are you building this country? Or are you a part of people who tell lies to destroy this country?”
“To create enmity and make people who ordinarily would have been living together to fight themselves. Are you planning to set the country ablaze because you did not get that particular thing you want?”
He went on: “At the appropriate time, Nigerians will know all of us, even though I know most of you know us but the younger ones do not know. Some people are hiding under some clogs, some big names and creating a lot of problems in this country.”
“Making provocative statements in this country, statements that will set this country ablaze and you tell me you are a senior citizen. You are not a senior citizen you can never be; you are ordinary motor park tout.
“Because if you are a senior citizen you will act like one. It is not because of the offices we occupy is by divine grace and providence that some of us occupy these offices. But what role are you playing to build this country?”
The President noted that without peace and unity, there can never be development.
He said: “I feel sad that our younger ones are beginning to see a Nigeria as if we are so divided. A Nigeria that a Muslim and a Christian cannot sit down together. I was told that even the driver of Tafawa Balewa was a Christian. Our people lived together in those days; why not now that we have even modern ways of life?
“Our children leave us and go abroad, they stay together and do a lot of things together. But when we come back home, we begin to build walls; this is a southerner, this is a northerner, this is a Muslim, this is a Christian, this is a Yoruba man, this is an Hausa man, this is an Ijaw man, this is a Nupe man. Is that the way we are going to develop our country?”
According to Jonathan, America is great because it is made up of various cultural groups and ethnic lines have been so weakened that people think only about America.
He stressed that citizens of any country that begin to see themselves through their tribal enclaves cannot go anywhere.
His words: “If today I’m sick, if the best doctor that can treat me is from Zamfara or Enugu or Ekiti, they will bring that doctor to treat me. They will not ask if that doctor is an Ijaw man, Ogbia or any other tribe. And until we get to that level where we begin to use people based on their competences, yes there must be spread in political appointment and so on.”
Jonathan said that Nigeria will begin to develop when there is no discrimination based on primordial privileges.
“And that is what we stand for. I will continue to plead with you because from all of your activities you have been advocating for that,” he told the elders.
He also denied the allegation that he does not like Northerners.
He said: “Some people say Jonathan hates the North. I have heard that statement and I use to ask Namadi Sambo, they say I hate the North, but you are here. I asked the National Security Adviser and my Principal Secretary the same thing. In fact, my Principal Secretary has been my friend since I was the deputy governor. I never knew I was going to come here as Vice President not to talk of President.
“But I have known him since I was the deputy governor of Bayelsa State. My Chief Detail, Yusuf from Borno State has been with me since I was a deputy governor in Yenagoa and I see him as a good person and I have carried him along with me. So I had to ask, how can somebody wake up and say I hate the North?”
He went on: “I used to tell Nigerians I come from the down trodden, what you call the Talakawas; I come from that level ….. And I said the only thing that can liberate an individual or a group of individuals is education. If I did not go to school, I wouldn’t have been here to talk to big people like this.
“If you didn’t go to school, you wouldn’t have spoken the way you spoke; you would have looked for somebody to interpret. This is what I believe; I don’t play politics with it. It has been my policy that I don’t play politics with education.”
“When I came on board I said even though as a country we have the policy on paper, every state must get a Federal Government university. Out of the 12 federal universities created, nine were in the North while three were in southern Nigeria. The only three states that had no federal university were Bayelsa, Ebonyi and Ekiti.”
“Those who were in charge of the university establishment were not fair. For us to liberate ourselves we must go to school. If I hate the north would I have done that?”
Jonathan added: “We talk about Almajiri’s education; we felt we must change. Luckily, I initiated it but now state governments are keying into it because I know that it was education that liberated me I would have been a local canoe builder like my father and grandfather.”
“But I’m here because of education and I feel if we must liberate Nigerian children whether they are from Zamafara, Bayelsa, Kebbi and Delta they must be educated. I feel we must enter the north by aggression through education,” he said
The President said that he was always sad hearing of school dropouts in the North.
He said: “Today I saw a publication in Daily Trust showing projects that have been awarded by the Federal Government, the ones for the Northeast very small, Southsouth very many. I had to make photocopies and distributed to all the ministers and I asked, is it true this is how projects are skewed by this government because somebody wants to play politics?”
“Because I am a president from the South I have taken all the projects to the South? And I said all the ministers must come up and tell me how the projects are being distributed across the country and if it is skewed, you must tell me why it is so. One of the ministers, the North and she is in charge of water resources, said that publication cannot be true because the Kasambila Dam alone, the value is more than the amount quoted in that paper.”
“This is to show you how mischievous Nigerians are because you want to paint Jonathan bad. All lies that have been told about this government, I promise you that I am working with your son and I will not cheat any part of this country. ”
“For the people who want to paint us in all kinds of color, we will explain to Nigerians. There are a lot of documentation we will show Nigerians.” he said
The President promised that his administration would not exploit or cheat any part of the country.
NEC Chairman Tanko Yakasai, who led the delegation, said that the Council believes in the peaceful co-existence of the country.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/jonathan-attacks-obasanjo/

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 08, 2015
wow. Nobody wan close mouth
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by kerijay(m): 10:01am On Jan 08, 2015
Frontpage dey smell o
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by seangy4konji: 10:03am On Jan 08, 2015
I don hear.

I deh come back.
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by biggerboyc(m): 10:03am On Jan 08, 2015
space booked
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by Flets: 10:04am On Jan 08, 2015
Nice one presido

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by lawrencemleopo: 10:05am On Jan 08, 2015
ok oo

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by SUBMARINE: 10:07am On Jan 08, 2015
OBJ

See as small boy dey yeye agba like you

Old age get its own disadvantage too undecided

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by ducii: 10:08am On Jan 08, 2015
SUBMARINE:
OBJ

See as small boy dey yeye agba like you

Old age get its own disadvantage too undecided

You funny oo grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by SUBMARINE: 10:11am On Jan 08, 2015
ducii:
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday replied his critics, lashing out at “elder statesmen making provocative statements that could could set the country ablaze”. He called them motor park touts.
Dr. Jonathan did not mention the names of such statesmen.
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has severally attacked Jonathan’s administration. He, last week, accused the government of squandering Nigeria’s foreign reserves. Former military president Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, in an interview, spoke of corruption, saying compared to what he reads, his regime, which many describe as “very corrupt” was a saint.
Speaking while receiving the Northern Elders Council (NEC) at the Presidential Villa, Jonathan said: “Some people call themselves statesmen but they are not statesmen; they are just ordinary politicians. For you to be a statesman is not because you have occupied a big office before but the question is what are you bringing to bear? Are you building this country? Or are you a part of people who tell lies to destroy this country?”
“To create enmity and make people who ordinarily would have been living together to fight themselves. Are you planning to set the country ablaze because you did not get that particular thing you want?”
He went on: “At the appropriate time, Nigerians will know all of us, even though I know most of you know us but the younger ones do not know. Some people are hiding under some clogs, some big names and creating a lot of problems in this country.”
“Making provocative statements in this country, statements that will set this country ablaze and you tell me you are a senior citizen. You are not a senior citizen you can never be; you are ordinary motor park tout.
“Because if you are a senior citizen you will act like one. It is not because of the offices we occupy is by divine grace and providence that some of us occupy these offices. But what role are you playing to build this country?”
The President noted that without peace and unity, there can never be development.
He said: “I feel sad that our younger ones are beginning to see a Nigeria as if we are so divided. A Nigeria that a Muslim and a Christian cannot sit down together. I was told that even the driver of Tafawa Balewa was a Christian. Our people lived together in those days; why not now that we have even modern ways of life?
“Our children leave us and go abroad, they stay together and do a lot of things together. But when we come back home, we begin to build walls; this is a southerner, this is a northerner, this is a Muslim, this is a Christian, this is a Yoruba man, this is an Hausa man, this is an Ijaw man, this is a Nupe man. Is that the way we are going to develop our country?”
According to Jonathan, America is great because it is made up of various cultural groups and ethnic lines have been so weakened that people think only about America.
He stressed that citizens of any country that begin to see themselves through their tribal enclaves cannot go anywhere.
His words: “If today I’m sick, if the best doctor that can treat me is from Zamfara or Enugu or Ekiti, they will bring that doctor to treat me. They will not ask if that doctor is an Ijaw man, Ogbia or any other tribe. And until we get to that level where we begin to use people based on their competences, yes there must be spread in political appointment and so on.”
Jonathan said that Nigeria will begin to develop when there is no discrimination based on primordial privileges.
“And that is what we stand for. I will continue to plead with you because from all of your activities you have been advocating for that,” he told the elders.
He also denied the allegation that he does not like Northerners.
He said: “Some people say Jonathan hates the North. I have heard that statement and I use to ask Namadi Sambo, they say I hate the North, but you are here. I asked the National Security Adviser and my Principal Secretary the same thing. In fact, my Principal Secretary has been my friend since I was the deputy governor. I never knew I was going to come here as Vice President not to talk of President.
“But I have known him since I was the deputy governor of Bayelsa State. My Chief Detail, Yusuf from Borno State has been with me since I was a deputy governor in Yenagoa and I see him as a good person and I have carried him along with me. So I had to ask, how can somebody wake up and say I hate the North?”
He went on: “I used to tell Nigerians I come from the down trodden, what you call the Talakawas; I come from that level ….. And I said the only thing that can liberate an individual or a group of individuals is education. If I did not go to school, I wouldn’t have been here to talk to big people like this.
“If you didn’t go to school, you wouldn’t have spoken the way you spoke; you would have looked for somebody to interpret. This is what I believe; I don’t play politics with it. It has been my policy that I don’t play politics with education.”
“When I came on board I said even though as a country we have the policy on paper, every state must get a Federal Government university. Out of the 12 federal universities created, nine were in the North while three were in southern Nigeria. The only three states that had no federal university were Bayelsa, Ebonyi and Ekiti.”
“Those who were in charge of the university establishment were not fair. For us to liberate ourselves we must go to school. If I hate the north would I have done that?”
Jonathan added: “We talk about Almajiri’s education; we felt we must change. Luckily, I initiated it but now state governments are keying into it because I know that it was education that liberated me I would have been a local canoe builder like my father and grandfather.”
“But I’m here because of education and I feel if we must liberate Nigerian children whether they are from Zamafara, Bayelsa, Kebbi and Delta they must be educated. I feel we must enter the north by aggression through education,” he said
The President said that he was always sad hearing of school dropouts in the North.
He said: “Today I saw a publication in Daily Trust showing projects that have been awarded by the Federal Government, the ones for the Northeast very small, Southsouth very many. I had to make photocopies and distributed to all the ministers and I asked, is it true this is how projects are skewed by this government because somebody wants to play politics?”
“Because I am a president from the South I have taken all the projects to the South? And I said all the ministers must come up and tell me how the projects are being distributed across the country and if it is skewed, you must tell me why it is so. One of the ministers, the North and she is in charge of water resources, said that publication cannot be true because the Kasambila Dam alone, the value is more than the amount quoted in that paper.”
“This is to show you how mischievous Nigerians are because you want to paint Jonathan bad. All lies that have been told about this government, I promise you that I am working with your son and I will not cheat any part of this country. ”
“For the people who want to paint us in all kinds of color, we will explain to Nigerians. There are a lot of documentation we will show Nigerians.” he said
The President promised that his administration would not exploit or cheat any part of the country.
NEC Chairman Tanko Yakasai, who led the delegation, said that the Council believes in the peaceful co-existence of the country.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/jonathan-attacks-obasanjo/

Hmmmmm

The truth coming out

So OBJ is barking because GEJ did not settle him

There is God oooooooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by fyneguy: 10:11am On Jan 08, 2015
Latterday Nationalist. Sorry too late. Your government encouraged ethnicity and religious differences to gain political points. Now that it's not working, you are preaching against what you did/do.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by SUBMARINE: 10:12am On Jan 08, 2015
ducii:

You funny oo grin grin grin grin

Read my post above to see my extraction above

OBJ dey vex sey GEJ no bow to am

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by stebell(m): 10:15am On Jan 08, 2015
President GEJ, the best Naija has got since 1914. hahahaha

Keep transforming Nigeria. we the masses are solidly behind yu.
No amount of lies and deceit wud stop us frm voting yu again come Feb., this yr.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by alaoeri: 10:26am On Jan 08, 2015
GEJ started the ethnoreligious card by saying the N'digbo are the ones that voted him into power, he doesn't caution ppl like Edwin Clark, Asari Dokubo etc with their derogatory comments now he's playing the victim, its too late oga Jona besides your time is up, the much needed change is here SAI BUHARI.
GMB/PYO 2015.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by Emperor007: 10:35am On Jan 08, 2015
OBJ should slow down & let GEJ be. Time would tell and eventually Nigerians would know the truth.

OBJ initiated most of the problems GEJ is facing today.

Did OBJ really perform better than GEJ?

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by londoner: 10:42am On Jan 08, 2015
SUBMARINE:

Hmmmmm

The truth coming out

So OBJ is barking because GEJ did not settle him

There is God oooooooo

Its just soooooo obvious, not just OBJ but the other highly ranked PDP members that also decamped. They were refused their request and Jonathan began to say no, and closed the usual avenues for corruption.

OBJ feels that GEJ is his property and should be in his pocket because he was intrumental in picking Yaradua and GEJ ticket.

Obviously, somewhere GEJ is not playing to OBJ's tune.......so births the APC fake "change".

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by SUBMARINE: 10:45am On Jan 08, 2015
londoner:

Its just soooooo obvious, not just OBJ but the other highly ranked PDP members that also decamped. They were refused their request and Jonathan began to say no, and closed the usual avenues for corruption.

OBJ feels that GEJ is his property and should be in his pocket because he was intrumental in picking Yaradua and GEJ ticket.

Obviously, somewhere GEJ is not playing to OBJ's tune.......so births the APC fake "change".

Supported

By February, GEJ should go after OBJ and treat his mad ness

People like OBJ shouldn't be spared.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by SUBMARINE: 10:47am On Jan 08, 2015
Emperor007:
OBJ should slow down & let GEJ be. Time would tell and eventually Nigerians would know the truth.

OBJ initiated most of the problems GEJ is facing today.

Did OBJ really perform better than GEJ?

Supported

The foundation for BH was laid during the Sharia days of OBJ

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by wazobiaforu(m): 10:49am On Jan 08, 2015
GEJ!!! is that what your wife tell you to say?
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by SUBMARINE: 10:49am On Jan 08, 2015
alaoeri:
GEJ started the ethnoreligious card by saying the N'digbo are the ones that voted him into power, he doesn't caution ppl like Edwin Clark, Asari Dokubo etc with their derogatory comments now he's playing the victim, its too late oga Jona besides your time is up, the much needed change is here SAI BUHARI.
GMB/PYO 2015.

How is that a lie

Check the number of votes gotten from Igbos and the ones gotten from other regions
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by ducii: 10:52am On Jan 08, 2015
wazobiaforu:
GEJ!!! is that what your wife tell you to say?

You don come ooo
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by alaoeri: 11:00am On Jan 08, 2015
SUBMARINE:

How is that a lie

Check the number of votes gotten from Igbos and the ones gotten from other regions
Must he now comeout to say such thing which means other regions are insignificant, ok let's see how only SE & SS votes will return him to power.
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by brainpower(m): 11:27am On Jan 08, 2015
Obviously, the youths do not know the true history of this country. We have the internet and so we must talk but most of us are talking blindly all in the name of courage and freedom of information that GEJ himself signed if not it wouldn't have been. This same freedom of information is being suppressed by Lagos the State govt.
He has said it all, but I believe this year is pregnant and a lot will be revealed before the end of the year.

None of them including the president is a saint but the hypocrisy in the face of our past leaders is very annoying, how can Tinubu , OBj and Amaechi become change agents all of a sudden. OBJ ruled 8years out of the 16years, he gave us Yar Adua and GEJ, yet these same change agents went to him to be their navigator. Anyone who doesn't see the hypocrisy in this is either being msichievious or is brainwashed.

Then Buhari is the worst of them all, I actually believe he was pressured to come back and run coupled with his plan for vengeance, apart from that, he is the most clueless person I have ever seen in Nigerian poiltics.

Finally, Nigerians may be tired of PDP but APC isn't the saviour.
Re: President Jonathan Responds to Obasanjo's Criticisms by ducii: 12:03pm On Jan 08, 2015
brainpower:
Obviously, the youths do not know the true history of this country. We have the internet and so we must talk but most of us are talking blindly all in the name of courage and freedom of information that GEJ himself signed if not it wouldn't have been. This same freedom of information is being suppressed by Lagos the State govt.
He has said it all, but I believe this year is pregnant and a lot will be revealed before the end of the year.

None of them including the president is a saint but the hypocrisy in the face of our past leaders is very annoying, how can Tinubu , OBj and Amaechi become change agents all of a sudden. OBJ ruled 8years out of the 16years, he gave us Yar Adua and GEJ, yet these same change agents went to him to be their navigator. Anyone who doesn't see the hypocrisy in this is either being msichievious or is brainwashed.

Then Buhari is the worst of them all, I actually believe he was pressured to come back and run coupled with his plan for vengeance, apart from that, he is the most clueless person I have ever seen in Nigerian poiltics.

Finally, Nigerians may be tired of PDP but APC isn't the saviour.

You have made some valid points, but I think Nigerians should be in a better position to decide who they think is the true agent of change

(1) (Reply)

Buhari's Wife And OSI Banjo Wife Arrive Ogun State For There Campaign / FACT-CHECK: No Firm Evidence APC Is Nigeria’s Face Of “change” - Premium Times / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.