Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

4GLTE Experience In Nigeria - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria (5986 Views)

Tecno Camon CX: My Unboxing Experience In Pictures / My Experience In Computer Village, Ikeja Yesterday / My Experience In The Hands Of MTN Nigeria Whatsapp Care [see Pictures] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by henryskywalker2003(m): 3:49pm On Jan 10, 2015
BedLam:
I repeat, stop lying, I use the same MTN and Spectranet you are comparing.

Dude, stop the name calling simply because you don't agree with him. It all boils down to your location. For instance, in my former location (Mile 12 Lagos), ALL THE FOUR GSM, and I repeat, ALL THE FOUR GSM networks are very fast. In fact, the slowest there was Airtel and I used to get at least 4mbps on it, while etisalat goes as high as 8mbps. But unfortunately, neither swift nor spectranet was as fast as that then. The one that was fast there was Starcomms. But now that I'm at a different loacation (Festac, Lagos). Etisalat isn't as fast as it used to be. Now getting speeds of 3mbps on the average, MTN is also on that same scale, Swift is very fast so also is Spectranet. But Smile is the fastest of them all here but also the most expensive. So, what you get in one location doesn't translate to the same thing all over. This is the same thing that happens abroad where some telcos have great LTE service in some areas and only EDGE or 3G at best in some others.

5 Likes

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by abatically(m): 4:08pm On Jan 10, 2015
henryskywalker2003:

Dude, stop the name calling simply because you don't agree with him. It all boils down to your location. For instance, in my former location (Mile 12 Lagos), ALL THE FOUR GSM, and I repeat, ALL THE FOUR GSM networks are very fast. In fact, the slowest there was Airtel and I used to get at least 4mbps on it, while etisalat goes as high as 8mbps. But unfortunately, neither swift nor spectranet was as fast as that then. The one that was fast there was Starcomms. But now that I'm at a different loacation (Festac, Lagos). Etisalat isn't as fast as it used to be. Now getting speeds of 3mbps on the average, MTN is also on that same scale, Swift is very fast so also is Spectranet. But Smile is the fastest of them all here but also the most expensive. So, what you get in one location doesn't translate to the same thing all over. This is the same thing that happens abroad where some telcos have great LTE service in some areas and only EDGE or 3G at best in some others.

God bless u. It all comes down to location. I know between swift, spectranet and smile, smile is still the fastest.

The thing is the highest speed u can get on spectranet is 4mbps no matter ur location (which is very rare to get). I live in Ikeja and is one of the best locations for Spectranet. MTN on the other hand will always give me 7-8mbps almost everytime while the average I get on spectranet is 1mbps. MTN can even get as high as 12mbps depending on location. So how is spectranet faster than MTN?

Below is another test I did. spectranet getting download speed of 0.71mbps while mtn is getting 7.00mbps. (note that my mtn was on ordinary 3G, would have been faster on HSDPA). It took spectranet 45 seconds to stream an HD video that only took 4.4 seconds for MTN to stream

3 Likes

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by dazekid(m): 1:41am On Jan 11, 2015
abatically:

I repeat there is no 4GLTE in Nigeria, all are just marketing stunts. If u know what 4GLTE can do then u will agree with me. U can download a 1gb worth under just 10 mins. Which network in naija can give u that? Even 4GLTE only got to some parts of UK in 2014. The only network in Nigeria that is even close is smile and they are still not up to par.

Spectranet? Don't name me laugh, I'm a premium subscriber and they themselves will tell u their highest speed is 4mbps which u can never even get. Etisalat is faster than Spectranet, MTN is 3 times the speed of spectrabet. Just so u know, there's s big difference between 4g and 4glte.

With Swift, I download approximately 1.3GB in 10 Min. As for spectranet, I have to ask do you use a dongle or wifi device? I use a USB dongle and my maximum speed is about 260Kilobytes per second but I have noticed that people who use wifi devices report about 2.5MBps so you should also factor that in. For me, my swift is about 10times as fast as my spectranet speed.

2 Likes

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by francis247(m): 6:02am On Jan 11, 2015
abatically:

I repeat there is no 4GLTE in Nigeria, all are just marketing stunts. If u know what 4GLTE can do then u will agree with me. U can download a 1gb worth under just 10 mins. Which network in naija can give u that? Even 4GLTE only got to some parts of UK in 2014. The only network in Nigeria that is even close is smile and they are still not up to par.

Spectranet? Don't name me laugh, I'm a premium subscriber and they themselves will tell u their highest speed is 4mbps which u can never even get. Etisalat is faster than Spectranet, MTN is 3 times the speed of spectrabet. Just so u know, there's s big difference between 4g and 4glte.
I totally agree with you that there is no 4gLTE network in Nigeria but where in God's name does MTN or any mobile network in this country provide a downlod speed of 8mbps? even the etisalat payG plan with the fastest download speed then never exceeded 4mbps at peak periods. If MTN truly offers 8mbps download speed then you should be able to download 4.8gb in ten minutes.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by abatically(m): 7:21am On Jan 11, 2015
francis247:
I totally agree with you that there is no 4gLTE network in Nigeria but where in God's name does MTN or any mobile network in this country provide a downlod speed of 8mbps? even the etisalat payG plan with the fastest download speed then never exceeded 4mbps at peak periods. If MTN truly offers 8mbps download speed then you should be able to download 4.8gb in ten minutes.

Bros, check a few posts above, u will see proof with pictures.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by abatically(m): 7:24am On Jan 11, 2015
dazekid:

With Swift, I download approximately 1.3GB in 10 Min. As for spectranet, I have to ask do you use a dongle or wifi device? I use a USB dongle and my maximum speed is about 260Kilobytes per second but I have noticed that people who use wifi devices report about 2.5MBps so you should also factor that in. For me, my swift is about 10times as fast as my spectranet speed.

I use a WiFi device. See spectranet use to be fast in the past but now they are thrash. U can hardly get 1mbps wit their device. Even if u manage to get 2.5mbps, its still 3 times slower than MTN.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by nurey(m): 9:06am On Jan 11, 2015
BedLam:
I repeat, stop lying, I use the same MTN and Spectranet you are comparing.

Chairman take it easy, Abatically is right MTN is faster, better than Spectranet rubbish. When I used to work for my brother after closing I always take his modem home and download over night till morning. The best speed I have gotten is 5xxkbps on that modem

With MTN I have download speeds of 3.xmbps and I have downloaded 10gig of a movie collection under one hour, area both were tested is Ikoyi.

But the best ISP I have ever used was Swift though 4kin expensive

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by francis247(m): 1:01pm On Jan 11, 2015
abatically:

Bros, check a few posts above, u will see proof with pictures.
Bros bone that screenshot. Apps can be very faulty/buggy especially data managers/calculators. I'm asking about your personal experience with MTN mobile Internet in respect to the 8mbps download speed you claimed in your previous post. The question is Do you download up to 1gb file in less than 3 minutes and over 4gb in less than 10 minutes on MTN? Because that's what it ought to be if truly MTN offers anything close to 8mbps internet speed download in your area and if that is really the case I think you wouldn't care whether or not there exist 4GLTE network in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by abatically(m): 1:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
francis247:
Bros bone that screenshot. Apps can be very faulty/buggy especially data managers/calculators. I'm asking about your personal experience with MTN mobile Internet in respect to the 8mbps download speed you claimed in your previous post. The question is Do you download up to 1gb file in less than 3 minutes and over 4gb in less than 10 minutes on MTN? Because that's what it ought to be if truly MTN offers anything close to 8mbps internet speed download in your area and if that is really the case I think you wouldn't care whether or not there exist 4GLTE network in Nigeria.

Whether u are able to download that file under a particular time depends on files being downloaded and the site u are downloading from. We all know torrents are faster to download, and using download manager vs traditional download on a pcz download manager is always faster.

However, I download 1gb worth of file under 5 mins with MTN, I download the same file under 10 minutes with etisalat PAYG. That same file will be downloaded in 2+ hours using my Spectranet .

That app is not faulty bro, I have about 3 different apps I use for this test and they all give similar result. I do not download with my MTN because subscription is on the high side, I wish they have PAYG like etisalat, but I subscribe for their 4.5gb plan for N2,500 and its blazing fast. FIFA ultimate team on ps3 has always been difficult for me to play with Spectranet because of lag, ever since I started using MTN I can play online for hours without any single lag.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 11, 2015
Buy swift jare.. for torrents I get between 2 and 3 MB/s. (note: not mbps). I don't know the conversion tho. I use the 8k for 34gb 5pm-9am plan with 24/7 on weekends and public holidays. Downtime I get like 500KB/s to 1+MB/s.. it's good enough for all my devices and rarely gets service problems. Location: alagbado.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by francis247(m): 4:58pm On Jan 11, 2015
dp
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by francis247(m): 5:06pm On Jan 11, 2015
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by francis247(m): 5:08pm On Jan 11, 2015
abatically:

Whether u are able to download that file under a particular time depends on files being downloaded and the site u are downloading from. We all know torrents are faster to download, and using download manager vs traditional download on a pcz download manager is always faster.

However, I download 1gb worth of file under 5 mins with MTN, I download the same file under 10 minutes with etisalat PAYG. That same file will be downloaded in 2+ hours using my Spectranet .

That app is not faulty bro, I have about 3 different apps I use for this test and they all give similar result. I do not download with my MTN because subscription is on the high side, I wish they have PAYG like etisalat, but I subscribe for their 4.5gb plan for N2,500 and its blazing fast. FIFA ultimate team on ps3 has always been difficult for me to play with Spectranet because of lag, ever since I started using MTN I can play online for hours without any single lag.
True. Good to know. Couldn't believe one could download at speed as high as 8mbps on MTN because over here their speed at peak period doesn't exceed 3mbps.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by francis247(m): 5:08pm On Jan 11, 2015
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by Abbeykord: 10:49pm On Jan 11, 2015
I appreciate all contributors individually...I look forward to hearing more from all. I have been able to gather that I can also enjoy fantastic speed using MTN and not just Swift/Spectranet/Smile. Thank you so much for the analysis from all. I still look forward to getting more opinions. I have not heard from individuals living in Ibadan yet.
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by holuphisayor(m): 5:17am On Jan 12, 2015
spectranet is nt bad...depends on ur location.
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by hyuga(m): 8:36am On Jan 12, 2015
for those getting 8mbps, m sure u know that you ve to divide that value by 8 so that equates to 900KBpS - 1MBpS. now that's 60mb per minute and about 600mb in 10min . so I don't think any gsm provider can give you 1gb or 1.5gb in 10min. swift is faster in my area though I used it just once I was getting 2MBpS.

2 Likes

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by honsule(m): 5:44am On Jan 14, 2015
holuphisayor:
spectranet is nt bad...depends on ur location.

yes, it all depends on your location

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by luvlyoracle(m): 8:22pm On Jan 14, 2015
francis247:
francis247:
My mtn undecided

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by luvlyoracle(m): 8:29pm On Jan 14, 2015
Still mtn

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by nani667: 12:31am On Jan 15, 2015
Swift 4G LTE cool

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by hyuga(m): 11:38pm On Jan 16, 2015
luvlyoracle:
Still mtn
now that's some bloody speed. what is/was your location (seeing it was October )?
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by luvlyoracle(m): 4:25am On Jan 17, 2015
hyuga:

now that's some bloody speed. what is/was your location (seeing it was October )?
Its mine
I am in enugu

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by chygoz3(m): 8:40am On Jan 17, 2015
Etisalat 3.75G

2 Likes

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by Abbeykord: 11:47am On Jan 17, 2015
I assume that MTN/Etisalat are delivering best speed than the so called 4G LTE in Nigeria. So why this obsessions about 4GLTE in Nigeria because I was made to understand that Spectranet/Swift/Smile offer the best speed...and that is what I'm actually after and require for my online gaming experience?
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by nani667: 11:50am On Jan 17, 2015
Abbeykord:
I assume that MTN/Etisalat are delivering best speed than the so called 4G LTE in Nigeria. So why this obsessions about 4GLTE in Nigeria because I was made to understand that Spectranet/Swift/Smile offer the best speed...and that is what I'm actually after and require for my online gaming experience?

See MTN

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by Abbeykord: 1:59pm On Jan 17, 2015
So which is preferable please and will stand the test of time?
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by dazekid(m): 6:05am On Jan 19, 2015
nani667:

See MTN

Pretty slow, what is your location?
Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by abatically(m): 6:59am On Jan 19, 2015
Abbeykord:

For online gaming experience, forget Spectranet or u go cry. I've not used swift or smile but I hear good review about them. I have Spectranet and it sucks at online gaming, so much lag. I share the MTN on my phone and connect with my ps3 and voila, very smooth online gaming experience like never before.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 19, 2015
I pray say any of the so called 4G guys fit fast like this. Etisalat in Ebute-Metta.

1 Like

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by dazekid(m): 1:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
dmyke:
I pray say any of the so called 4G guys fit fast like this. Etisalat in Ebute-Metta.

I disagree

2 Likes

Re: 4GLTE Experience In Nigeria by nani667: 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2015
dazekid:

Pretty slow, what is your location?

I'm in Lagos

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hot.... Mtn Us Giving Out Free 4,5gb / Beware Of 'Fufu' Phones At The Computer Village! / Freedom V1.0.6 Apk : Unlimited In-app Purchases Hack On Android Is Here! [LATEST

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.