Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US (32542 Views)

A South African Lady Condemns Attack On Nigerians, Calls Them Nice People / Edo Girl Hustling In Russia Warns Nigerians Back Home (Video) . / Cameroonian Lady Has Message About Nigerians Living Abroad (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by helpee(m): 5:15pm On Jan 15, 2015
justwise:

You don't believe what the paper said about Nigeria but you are jumping up about what you read in one of the links about the UK? Have you heard the word: Hypocrite before?
yes sir. Hypocrisy is when you run away from boko haram only to be pursued by racism.....run my brother
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2015
helpee:
yes sir. Hypocrisy is when you run away from boko haram only to be pursued by racism.....run my brother

Really? You know what? You need to ask for school fees refund, they cheated you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by helpee(m): 5:26pm On Jan 15, 2015
justwise:

Really? You know what? You need to ask for school fees refund, they cheated you
cheesy. @ Momoyama, you can see the kind of people you want to listen to about nigeria. Going defensive about Britain not being racist while insisting that his own country is a coffin. These are unpatriotic nigerians. Anyway, how will justwise be relevant on nairaland if nigeria is ok.....if we have to travel without visa? So so pathetic for the kind of citizens we have in this country

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 5:31pm On Jan 15, 2015
helpee:
cheesy. @ Momoyama, you can see the kind of people you want to listen to about nigeria. Going defensive about Britain not being racist while insisting that his own country is a coffin. These are unpatriotic nigerians. Anyway, how will justwise be relevant on nairaland if nigeria is ok.....if we have to travel without visa? So so pathetic for the kind of citizens we have in this country

I don't suffer from blind patriotism. I'm a Nigerian by default

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by maternal: 5:56pm On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

But how can you begrudge this man for wanting to stay at home and help his country? It is fine if you are happy abroad. But do not criticize those who want to remain at home and improve their country.

I've been around the world to know how it works. This man is full of nonsense. My cousin went to John Hopkins on a full scholarship and I even know people who took his program. The average price for his program is 60k American for an international student. That's around 11 months at 12k American per term for 5 terms. You now add the cost of the application and obtaining his/her visa, plane ticket, etc. haba. So the average Nigerian has this type of money laying around ? This individual comes from a wealthy or very well off family. He went abroad to study and is now back in naija to get his piece of the corrupted pie. If or when things don't work out, his ass will be on the first plane back to America. While he claims its not about the quality of life, he's not living like the everyday Nigerian struggle for their daily bread. He has it made there. If that was not the case for him, believe me it will be nothing but the quality of life while he runs back to America kissing the ground. I guess my point in all this rant is that don't be living in aso rock among the wealthy while claiming naija is getting better, I want to go back home and fix my country, blah..blah... Until these guys taste the everyday life of a REAL Nigeria shut your mouth. After spending 60 plus thousand dollars American in less than a year for your studies he now forms like he's an average Nigerian and claim you don't have to be rich to do that. Lets hear.

http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees/index.html

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 15, 2015
maternal:

I've been around the world to know how it works. This man is full of nonsense. My cousin went to John Hopkins on a full scholarship and I even know people who took his program. The average price for his program is 60k American for an international student. That's around 11 months at 12k American per term for 5 terms. You now add the cost of the application and obtaining his/her visa, plane ticket, etc. haba. So the average Nigerian has this type of money laying around ? This individual comes from a wealthy or very well off family. He went abroad to study and is now back in naija to get his piece of the corrupted pie. If or when things don't work out, his ass will be on the first plane back to America. While he claims its not about the quality of life, he's not living like the everyday Nigerian struggle for their daily bread. He has it made there. If that was not the case for him, believe me it will be nothing but the quality of life while he runs back to America kissing the ground. I guess my point in all this rant is that don't be living in aso rock among the wealthy while claiming naija is getting better, I want to go back home and fix my country, blah..blah... Until these guys taste the everyday life of a REAL Nigeria shut your mouth. After spending 60 plus thousand dollars American in less than a year for your studies he now forms like he's an average Nigerian and claim you don't have to be rich to do that. Lets hear.

http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees/index.html
kiss
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by maternal: 6:11pm On Jan 15, 2015
helpee:
being a visa veteran here on nairaland, you definitely know about j-1 visa in America. Specifically, it is meant to acquire knowledge in America and you must return to your last country of residence to use that knowledge to benefit the country of last residence. So even Americans are not against training you with the purpose of sending you back to benefit your country. I am not against seeking quality education outside. I am not against tourism. I am not even against immigration . I am only against immigration based solely on the fact that Nigeria is irredeemable. Go and study abroad....come back with the knowledge to develop your country and not throw stones back home cos you think you are far away. some people sacrificed to take America to where it is today, they worked and believed in their country and that is why you can live the descent life you so much cherish in america

America had a solid foundation when the country was founded. Attempting to build naija is like building a house with no solid foundation. It's pointless really.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by helpee(m): 6:12pm On Jan 15, 2015
@maternal...thank God you said your cousin got full scholarship. for some of these schools....getting the admission is more difficult than funding your education. what an average nigerian need is to be hardworking. I used to think you need money to do everything but it is not true. Get admission to havard business school today.....if you don't automatically get money to fund your education, call me a fool afterwards
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by bebe2(f): 6:35pm On Jan 15, 2015
justwise:

I don't suffer from blind patriotism. I'm a Nigerian by default

good man,

nothing do u.

patriotism indeed undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2015
justwise:
[/b]

Have you lived in US before?

I was born in the US (New York). I (unfortunately) went to boarding school there for four years. And I live a half hour flight away, so I know the place pretty inside out.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by jenns(m): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2015
Hello Respected & matured minds...I have so much respect for all the comment made on this particular thread that I couldn't sleep overrnight but ponder much on this issue.

I observe that we castigate Nigeria much than we respect it . I am not saying things are not bad but the way we discribe it looks so bad that if I were to be a foreigner, I wudn't iinvest in the country .
Fine, instead of pointing out ways & solution to the problem, we prefer telling the Bahama dude all sort of negative thing .

That shows that we has are not helping to develop the country in our own little way if we could give reasons not to come visit nigeria because a penny from him adds to our national income.
I believe we also enjoy some basic ammenities eg cheap call tarrif just to mention, compared to some countries.

Please my message might not be constructive enough because I had to rush this lines but try to fix it together.
#OneNigeria#OneNation#OnePeople#GreatNairaland# plss...I hate Politics with passion , so understand motive.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 9:25pm On Jan 15, 2015
jenns:
Hello Respected & matured minds...I have so much respect for all the comment made on this particular thread that I couldn't sleep overrnight but ponder much on this issue.

I observe that we castigate Nigeria much than we respect it . I am not saying things are not bad but the way we discribe it looks so bad that if I were to be a foreigner, I wudn't iinvest in the country .
Fine, instead of pointing out ways & solution to the problem, we prefer telling the Bahama dude all sort of negative thing .

That shows that we has are not helping to develop the country in our own little way if we could give reasons not to come visit nigeria because a penny from him adds to our national income.
I believe we also enjoy some basic ammenities eg cheap call tarrif just to mention, compared to some countries.

Please my message might not be constructive enough because I had to rush this lines but try to fix it together.
#OneNigeria#OneNation#OnePeople#GreatNairaland# plss...I hate Politics with passion , so understand motive.

The fact is that EVERYWHERE you go on earth, there are problems. But you always have to put them in perspective. I agree with Helpee when he says Americans sacrificed and worked to make the USA what it is. Same can happen for Nigeria. In fact, in comparing, you have to understand that Nigeria (like most of Africa) began life not as a unified people, but separate tribes bound together by colonialism. The US did not have that disadvantage. So when you criticize Nigeria and expect it to become a wonder overnight, everyone should remember that IT WILL TAKE TIME. In the meantime, I prefer concentrate on the positives. We had a famous Bahamian religious pastor called Myles Munroe who sadly died in a plane crash in November. That man loved Nigeria so much that it was his second home. The way he talked about it was like paradise on earth. I guess he found the good to concentrate on rather than trying to tear it down. So no matter how much negativity I see on here, it is not going to put me off my positive impression of Naija and the belief that its future is positive.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

I was born in the US (New York). I (unfortunately) went to boarding school there for four years. And I live a half hour flight away, so I know the place pretty inside out.
You are privileged. Watch CNN today and see what Nigerian soldiers are telling Nick Robertson. Those who feed fat from corruption say Nigeria is okay and singing the patriot song continues.

I was in Jos and I know what I suffered and what others are suffering. Those in Lagos think they have an army that can protect them.

Come and marry one nice Nigerian... save a life, Momoyama!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

The fact is that EVERYWHERE you go on earth, there are problems. But you always have to put them in perspective. I agree with Helpee when he says Americans sacrificed and worked to make the USA what it is. Same can happen for Nigeria. In fact, in comparing, you have to understand that Nigeria (like most of Africa) began life not as a unified people, but separate tribes bound together by colonialism. The US did not have that disadvantage. So when you criticize Nigeria and expect it to become a wonder overnight, everyone should remember that IT WILL TAKE TIME. In the meantime, I prefer concentrate on the positives. We had a famous Bahamian religious pastor called Myles Munroe who sadly died in a plane crash in November. That man loved Nigeria so much that it was his second home. The way he talked about it was like paradise on earth. I guess he found the good to concentrate on rather than trying to tear it down. So no matter how much negativity I see on here, it is not going to put me off my positive impression of Naija and the belief that its future is positive.
The country was joined together...no national pride. It is a joke!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

So that means you are an American citizen?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
bebe2:

good man,

nothing do u.

patriotism indeed undecided undecided

grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 10:38pm On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

The fact is that EVERYWHERE you go on earth, there are problems. But you always have to put them in perspective. I agree with Helpee when he says Americans sacrificed and worked to make the USA what it is. Same can happen for Nigeria. In fact, in comparing, you have to understand that Nigeria (like most of Africa) began life not as a unified people, but separate tribes bound together by colonialism. the US did not have that disadvantage. So when you criticize Nigeria and expect it to become a wonder overnight, everyone should remember that IT WILL TAKE TIME. In the meantime, I prefer concentrate on the positives. We had a famous Bahamian religious pastor called Myles Munroe who sadly died in a plane crash in November. That man loved Nigeria so much that it was his second home. The way he talked about it was like paradise on earth. I guess he found the good to concentrate on rather than trying to tear it down. So no matter how much negativity I see on here, it is not going to put me off my positive impression of Naija and the belief that its future is positive.

US was also colonized by the UK, you seems to forget that.

South Africa was also colonized and got their independent in 1984, Nigeria 1960, so what is the excuse?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:03am On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

So that means you are an American citizen?

I was a dual citizen. My father was studying in New York when I was born. But I have since renounced my U.S. Citizenship. There are no income taxes in the Bahamas, so it does not make sense to keep U.S. citizenship if you live here, since Uncle Sam tries to tax you on worldwide income. So now I am only a Bahamas citizen.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:05am On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

US was also colonized by the UK, you seems to forget that.

South Africa was also colonized and got their independent in 1984, Nigeria 1960, so what is the excuse?

I never said US was not colonized. I said it was never a group of separate peoples cobbled together by the colonizer. Africa was grouped into colonies based on the needs of the colonizer, not the locals. Hence, look how many languages are spoken in Nigeria as native tongues. Therefore you cannot compare the difficulties with those of the USA. But Nigeria will get there with time and patriotism.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 12:23am On Jan 16, 2015
momoyama:

I was a dual citizen. My father was studying in New York when I was born. But I have since renounced my U.S. Citizenship. There are no income taxes in the Bahamas, so it does not make sense to keep U.S. citizenship if you live here, since Uncle Sam tries to tax you on worldwide income. So now I am only a Bahamas citizen.

You renounced it because you don't want to pay income tax. You enjoyed taxes paid by other people when growing up in America.

You need to be a Nigerian because you have the characteristics.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 12:33am On Jan 16, 2015
momoyama:

I never said US was not colonized. I said it was never a group of separate peoples cobbled together by the colonizer. Africa was grouped into colonies based on the needs of the colonizer, not the locals. Hence, look how many languages are spoken in Nigeria as native tongues. Therefore you cannot compare the difficulties with those of the USA. But Nigeria will get there with time and patriotism.

Don't blame language differences on colonisation, blame God. Nigeria is not the only country with tribes that speak different languages. The
UK, Zimbabwe, etc speaks other languages other than English language.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:37am On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

You renounced it because you don't want to pay income tax. You enjoyed taxes paid by other people when growing up in America.

You need to be a Nigerian because you have the characteristics.

Did you read NONE of my posts? When did I say I grew up in the United States? I left that country at the age of one year and two months. I only returned for any length of time to attend a private boarding school for which my parents paid. Aside from that, I use the USA only as a transit for flights to countries that do not have direct flights to Nassau.

I was a US citizen only as an accident of birth. In every meaningful sense I am a pure Bahamian, born to two Bahamians who live and lived in the Bahamas their whole lives aside from University.

It does not matter where you are born. It matters what you ARE. Jesus was born in a stable. Does that make him a horse??

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 12:48am On Jan 16, 2015
momoyama:

Did you read NONE of my posts? When did I say I grew up in the United States? I left that country at the age of one year and two months. I only returned for any length of time to attend a private boarding school for which my parents paid. Aside from that, I use the USA only as a transit for flights to countries that do not have direct flights to Nassau.

I was a US citizen only as an accident of birth. In every meaningful sense I am a pure Bahamian, born to two Bahamians who live and lived in the Bahamas their whole lives aside from University.

It does not matter where you are born. It matters what you ARE. Jesus was born in a stable. Does that make him a horse??

I read your post pretty well, your daddy studied in US, you were born in US, left after one year and returned back again for private education. You and your family benefited from that system before you decided to denounced it because you don't want to pay tax.
Your family might have seen something good in that country to start with, if not you wouldn't have gone back after leaving as a kid.

Where you were born does matter.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 1:27am On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

I read your post pretty well, your daddy studied in US, you were born in US, left after one year and returned back again for private education. You and your family benefited from that system before you decided to denounced it because you don't want to pay tax.
Your family might have seen something good in that country to start with, if not you wouldn't have gone back after leaving as a kid.

Where you were born does matter.

I can see you are one of those obsessed with personalizing everything. Anyway, I will engage you just to take your points apart. Firstly, can you explain how either attending a private university (as my father did) and a private boarding school (as I did) in a country, amounts to benefiting from its tax system?? I attended a PUBLIC university in the UK (although I paid fees), which makes the UK a far better candidate for a country whose tax system I benefited from. You are just not making any sense with this line of thought.

To say I went "back" to the US just because I went to boarding school there is a mischaracterisation. Are you familiar with how boarding schools operate? People from all over the world attend and they do not live in the country, but attend the school during term time and return home for holidays.

You are really making some silly points.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 1:36am On Jan 16, 2015
just got back from work. Justwise. Stop responding to momoya... the character is a robot.. She knows absolutely nothing about Nigeria hence no point arguing with her. You would just keep going round in circles.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 1:40am On Jan 16, 2015
saxywale:
just got back from work. Justwise. Stop responding to momoyo ... the character is a robot.. She knows nothing about Nigeria. You would just keep going round in circles.

'SHE?' wow, some people are presumptuous.

I never remember claiming to know so much about Nigeria. Besides, have you not been following justwise's comments? None of them are about Nigeria and all of them are personal innuendos and accusations about me, the USA, the Bahamas and everything else that that person can think of. In fact, the only people saying anything informative or balanced about Nigeria are the ones whose comments justwise is constantly attacking.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 7:52am On Jan 16, 2015
saxywale:
just got back from work. Justwise. Stop responding to momoya... the character is a robot.. She knows absolutely nothing about Nigeria hence no point arguing with her. You would just keep going round in circles.

Given up already...phew!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 1:46pm On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

Given up already...phew!

....In other words, you have no rational, cogent response to my deconstruction of your silly arguments.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 1:49pm On Jan 16, 2015
momoyama:

....In other words, you have no rational, cogent response to my deconstruction of your silly arguments.

No, i just don't want to waste my time with you any more because you just ignorant about anything Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 1:57pm On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

No, i just don't want to waste my time with you any more because you just ignorant about anything Nigeria.

And what exactly does the U.S. tax system, my citizenship and the Bahamas' visa regime have to do with Nigeria? That is all you seem concerned to talk about - apart from putting Nigeria down.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 2:01pm On Jan 16, 2015
momoyama:

And what exactly does the U.S. tax system, my citizenship and the Bahamas' visa regime have to do with Nigeria? That is all you seem concerned to talk about - apart from putting Nigeria down.

You want the UK to give Nigeria visa free status but your own country is not visa free to Nigerians.

You said the US is the worse country for black people but you were born and studied there.

That makes you a hypocrite.

Done with you though. No more time wasting with you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 2:08pm On Jan 16, 2015
justwise:

You want the UK to give Nigeria visa free status but your own country is not visa free to Nigerians.

You said the US is the worse country for black people but you were born and studied there.

That makes you a hypocrite.

Done with you though. No more time wasting with you.

I hope for your sake you are a child. If you are an adult, you have an infant's mind.

If I were the Minister responsible for immigration of the Bahamas, then I may be a hypocrite in your scenario. But what does a private citizen have to do with whether the country requires visas??

I do not remember being there and taking the decision of where I was to be born, so how can I be a 'hypocrite' for being born somewhere that I do not like? Same with boarding school, as a 14 year old is not responsible for where he goes to school.

I am happy you seem intent on spending your life outside Nigeria. Nigeria can do with less people like you and more sensible patriots.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Speeding trailer Falls Into A Pit Hole In Ikotun, Lagos / Gov Adeleke Government Commences Construction Activities On Ife-ede Road(photos) / My Visit To Olumirin Water Falls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.