Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,813 members, 7,956,076 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:26 AM

#occupyNigeria 3 Years After: A Nairalander Reflects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #occupyNigeria 3 Years After: A Nairalander Reflects (390 Views)

Dora Akunyili: 3 Years After Her Death / Fayose Helps A Sick Lady With Elephantiasis For 3 Years (Pics) / Tommorrow; Work Free Day! #occupynigeria 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#occupyNigeria 3 Years After: A Nairalander Reflects by nenergy(m): 1:18am On Jan 10, 2015
This week marks the 3rd year anniversary of the #OccupyNigeria protests.
Nigerians were shocked when in the early hours of January 1, 2012, President Goodluck Jonathan announced the removal of subsidy from petroleum products. The president’s New Year announcement meant that PMS, which sold for N65 a litre – with subsidy –, would go for N141, more than a hundred per cent increase.

This action translated into more than one hundred per cent increase in fares, electricity, food, rents and virtually every all goods and services in Nigeria.
Nigerians won’t have that. Together with organised labour protests were held across the country.

The fuel subsidy removal affected and elongated my job search. As a fresh graduate i participated, but wasn’t entirely against fuel subsidy removal, no! Fuel subsidy removal was good on paper, my concerned was about the “safety” the money to be saved from subsidy removal. Hence, my placard read; “AS LONG AS CORRUPTION IS IDOLIZED, FUEL MUST BE SUBSIDIZED” Cool rhyme sey. cheesy #OccupyNigeria forever in our minds.

1 Share

Re: #occupyNigeria 3 Years After: A Nairalander Reflects by nenergy(m): 1:23am On Jan 10, 2015
I was so broke that I couldn't even afford to buy a decent card board paper...Chai!!! May God bring the good times around again. Amen!!

(1) (Reply)

Wow Finally A Woman Declares To Run For President In 2015 / Seun Kuti Denies Saying People Shouldn't Vote For Buhari, Calls Out Reporter / Bubari And His Lies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.