Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,149 members, 7,821,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? (5559 Views)

Charlie Hebdo:of Justifications, Condemnation And Apologies / The Prophet(s.a.w)teachings- In Response To The Cartoons( Charlie Hebdo) / Charlie Hebdo; Beacon Of Free Speech Fired Reporter For 'anti-semitism.' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 6:45am On Jan 10, 2015
Na wa o. This Charlie Hebdo thing eh.
Many people have condemned the killings and I follow suit.
I however want to say that I'm not comfortable with the way
people are not talking about the immediate cause.
Journalists/satirists have to learn how not to unnecessarily
ridicule what people hold dear to heart. A little humour is
never bad but the boundaries must always be recognised.
Indeed Charlie Hebdo is not a stellar organisation and has had
a few bans in the past because of extreme satire. Some
people may ask why Catholics and other groups don't attack
them. It is because the Muslim population of France is still
the most deprived and they hold on strongly to what unites
them and gives meaning to their lives. Therefore, their
reaction to that kind of attack on their religion will naturally be
more exaggerated than how other groups react. This is where
the focus must be.
It must be really hard to be a Muslim in this our generation,
you are ridiculed, betrayed by some few bad eggs, and then
the whole body of Islam bears the brunt again. I'm with you
my Muslim brethren.
My own small take o.
Please what do you think?

8 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by kilokeys(m): 7:15am On Jan 10, 2015
though i made jesuis charlie as a dp.

i still think they weren't innocent protraying religious icons in such light.

these men wanted to die as matyrs for what they believed in...

would charlie hebdo's staff choose death gladly over doing caricature cartoons?.. i dont think so.

morale.. never fight a man that has nothing to lose ( esp. if he thinks he gains everything if he dies fighting u)

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by hyfr(m): 7:16am On Jan 10, 2015
kilokeys:

would charlie hebdo's staff choose death gladly over doing caricature cartoons?.. i dont think so.

morale.. never fight a man that has nothing to lose ( and thinks he gains everything if he dies fighting u)
[s]
kilokeys:

morale.. never fight a man that has nothing to lose ( and thinks he gains everything if he dies fighting u)
[/s]
kilokeys:

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 7:25am On Jan 10, 2015
if someone calls you a violent person and you punch him or calls you a murderer and you kill him it give credence to the accusations. now all western paper houses would have a field day painting islam in a bad light. a trying time for peaceful muslims

12 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by lawrencemleopo: 7:30am On Jan 10, 2015
interesting

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 8:09am On Jan 10, 2015
kaybiel2u:
op, do u knw dt nobody ridicule islam or muslims bt muslims ridicule demselves. u c, islam is a strange religion or faith to the western world, and islam opposes freedom if u truly knw wat sharia law is all abt. dts y som arab countries dnt go by sharia law, e.g, turki, algeria, egypt, uae, etc. one tin i wl also say is dz, all terrorists are muslims, bt nt all muslims ar terrorist. dz people justify their action from Quran example is Quran 2:214, Dt Is, Fighting Dose Dt Dnt Believ. And Quran 2:256 Says No Compulsion In Religion, Wat A Contradition!
I don't understand how your post is directly related to what we're talking about here.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 8:12am On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:
if someone calls you a violent person and you punch him or calls you a murderer and you kill him it give credence to the accusations. now all western paper houses would have a field day painting islam in a bad light.a trying time for peaceful muslims
Why should someone call you a murderer for no reason? Is that right first of all?

2 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 8:15am On Jan 10, 2015
kilokeys:

It's funny how the Charlie Hebdo journalists are being portrayed as martyrs of journalism when in fact they practised gutter journalism.

4 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 8:24am On Jan 10, 2015
I want to know what people like maclatunji think.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 8:30am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

Why should someone call you a murderer for no reason? Is that right first of all?
even in the face of false accusation, the killing is not justified as that seems to be the way of the truly violent.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 8:33am On Jan 10, 2015
as a nation we have been portrayed as being corrupt and fraud averse. this is not true for most but if the most do not do what is needed to weed out the bad ones, with time the bad would be seen as the dominant ones.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Bayswater: 8:37am On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:
if someone calls you a violent person and you punch him or calls you a murderer and you kill him it give credence to the accusations. now all western paper houses would have a field day painting islam in a bad light.a trying time for peaceful muslims

Tell us about Islam, please.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 8:38am On Jan 10, 2015
the charlie hebdo people are in no way innocent but public opinions always sway in favour of the victim. for this to happen in france that banned the hijab i fear there may be more anti islam clamp downs and already journalists are shooting with pens

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 8:42am On Jan 10, 2015
i have a neighbour who is a christian to muslim convert who said "if you want to know about islam come and let me show you. it is not the one being portrayed in most foreign media." unfortunately for him people in france would not get to see his life
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Bayswater: 8:43am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:
Many people have condemned the killings and I follow suit.
I however want to say that I'm not comfortable with the way
people are not talking about the immediate cause.
Journalists/satirists have to learn how not to unnecessarily
ridicule what people hold dear to heart.
A little humour is
never bad but the boundaries must always be recognised.
Indeed Charlie Hebdo is not a stellar organisation and has had
a few bans in the past because of extreme satire. Some
people may ask why Catholics and other groups don't attack
them. It is because the Muslim population of France is still
the most deprived and they hold on strongly to what unites
them and gives meaning to their lives. Therefore, their
reaction to that kind of attack on their religion will naturally be
more exaggerated than how other groups react. This is where
the focus must be.
It must be really hard to be a Muslim in this our generation,
you are ridiculed, betrayed by some few bad eggs, and then
the whole body of Islam bears the brunt again. I'm with you
my Muslim brethren
My own small take o.

Just tell me you are kidding. Can Allah not fight for himself? France does not have a native muslim population, these people (mainly immigrants) have been deprived from their various nations; France made a mistake by opening their borders to these set of ungrateful and impoverished immigrants. So what's hard in being a muslim? These mofos were indoctrinated and radicalized by the same Quran all of you read. Is that a lie? Until you face the facts and start going after the imams radicalizing these youngsters, the dim perception most western nations have about Islam will never change.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 8:48am On Jan 10, 2015
in the movie "my name is khan" we saw an example of a muslim exposing a cleric recruiting adherens for violence. nigeria should shoulder problems caused by nigerians and islam should resolve those caused by muslims
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 8:58am On Jan 10, 2015
in the religion section you will see a lot of funny and disheartening comments about pastors but just a few bad eggs with wide media publicity is enough to poison minds and create a new status quo. islam is currently facing such negative publicity.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by kilokeys(m): 9:12am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

It's funny how the Charlie Hebdo journalists are being portrayed as martyrs of journalism when in fact they practised gutter journalism.
thatz d silent truth nobody wants to talk about now.. but deep in our hearts we r tired of bad journalism, sick of derogatory memes and all the crap sides of free speech.

its a wakeup call to me too.. cos i swear i don destroy many pple with my words esp online.

the watchword should be, constructive criticism. if it ain't that we better keep quiet.

4 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 9:19am On Jan 10, 2015
In 1572 a similar world changing event happened in France (quite coincidental abi?) where christians from the protestant and catholic denominations were killing one another starting from a what is known in history as the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bartholomew%27s_Day_massacre A lot of people died and over 5000 and that marked the beginning of the religion of no God known today as Atheism since if in the name of saying one God is better you are killing yourselves why not choose to serve no God at all.

Unfortunately the church authorities at that time were more interested in politics and by choosing sides allowed what could have been averted to rage on. Christianity created atheism. If muslims allow terrorism in the name of Allah by extremists to go on without being curbed islam might create another monster and only God know what that one would be called.

It is not enough to just say "My name is khan and I am not a terrorist". Create movements and fish out the bad guys and imams. They are well known only ignored/avoided the same way in Nigeria we know the yahoo yahoo boys in our society that would end up staining the present andd the future for us all. This is a serious matter and not be triffled with. Don't let France handle this mess but as muslims let the world know you do not accept such irresposible behaviour which is anti islam tenets. Don't let this end like the similar Denmark cartoon which showed prophet Mohammmed (SAW) with a bazooka which ended with christians killed in the northern part of Nigeria - a notion of justifying death for negative criticism. Let muslims champaion this course before the western media does.

Yes the Charlie Hebdo people were wrong but would not be able to answer for their crimes if they no longer walk the face of the earth.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 9:22am On Jan 10, 2015
Bayswater:

Just tell me you are kidding. Can Allah not fight for himself? France does not have a native muslim population, these people (mainly immigrants) have been deprived from their various nations; France made a mistake by opening their borders to these set of ungrateful and impoverished immigrants. So what's hard in being a muslim? These mofos were indoctrinated and radicalized by the same Quran all of you read. Is that a lie? Until you face the facts and start going after the imams radicalizing these youngsters, the dim perception most western national have about Islam will never change.
The focus of this conversation is really not Islam, it's poor journalism standards. It's just that Islam seems to be the most affected topic.
I don't even want to talk about how France impoverished their colonies so much that people from francophone countries in Africa (especially West and North) feel France owes them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 9:24am On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:
the charlie hebdo people are in no way innocent but public opinions always sway in favour of the victim. for this to happen in france that banned the hijab i fear there may be more anti islam clamp downs and already journalists are shooting with pens
There were two victims here and the first victim was Islam. The first attack could have been prevented if censorship was in place.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 9:29am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:
There were two victims here and the first victim was Islam. The first attack could have been prevented if censorship was in place.
I agree with you but one of the victims is no more with us.

Concerning the movie "Innocence of Muslims".
a Pakistani minister has offered a bounty for the killing of Nakoula, the producer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_of_Muslims

The dude Nakoula created a movie that in several ways was anti islamic and here is an overzealous politician calling for his death. Why do we have courts? Why do we have jails? If people believe they have been wronged they go get justice not take the law into their hands else everything would just be in a state of chaos.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Bayswater: 9:36am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

The focus of this conversation is really not Islam, it's poor journalism standards. It's just that Islam seems to be the most affected topic.
I don't even want to talk about how France impoverished their colonies so much that people from francophone countries in Africa (especially West and North) feel France owes them.

Are you saying the Charlie hebdo journalists brought this upon themselves?

I just wonder what would have happened to Nigerian journalists if they get the same treatment.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by PassingShot(m): 9:41am On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:
even in the face of false accusation, the killing is not justified as that seems to be the way of the truly violent.

The OP has not justified or tried to justify the killing. That is clearly gross and has been condemned roundly by Muslims all over the world.

The focus of the OP is that it is pointless trying to cause a needless trouble where there was none in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by ChristyG(f): 9:46am On Jan 10, 2015
Are u trying to justify deir babaric behaviour?dat same magazine had make fun of other religions not only islam.what is it with islam,that will make pple to start killing other people just because they insulted their religion,we all have a right to our opinion..u muslims just have to learn to tolerate and live peacefull with others...islam is such a devilish religion.jeeez

10 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 9:58am On Jan 10, 2015
PassingShot:

The OP has not justified or tried to justify the killing. That is clearly gross and has been condemned roundly by Muslims all over the world.

The focus of the OP is that it is pointless trying to cause a needless trouble where there was none in the first place.

I agree with you.

teemy:

Yes the Charlie Hebdo people were wrong but would not be able to answer for their crimes if they no longer walk the face of the earth.

but he stated here

Chartey:
Many people have condemned the killings and I follow suit

... Some people may ask why Catholics and other groups don't attack them. It is because the Muslim population of France is still the most deprived and they hold on strongly to what unites them and gives meaning to their lives. Therefore, their reaction to that kind of attack on their religion will naturally be more exaggerated than how other groups react. This is where the focus must be.

... It must be really hard to be a Muslim in this our generation, you are ridiculed, betrayed by some few bad eggs, and then the whole body of Islam bears the brunt again. I'm with you my Muslim brethren.
My own small take o.

His other point was on why a minority would act more violently compared to other faiths under the same kind of castigation. Except I misunderstood that line sha.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 10:04am On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:

I agree with you but one of the victims is no more with us.

Concerning the movie "Innocence of Muslims".
a Pakistani minister has offered a bounty for the killing of Nakoula, the producer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_of_Muslims

The dude Nakoula created a movie that in several ways was anti islamic and here is an overzealous politician calling for his death. Why do we have courts? Why do we have jails? If people believe they have been wronged they go get justice not take the law into their hands else everything would just be in a state of chaos.
Now that is wrong.
So we can say Pakistan and France are two unsafe extreme bands of a spectrum.
Back to the Nakoula issue now. Politicians are fond of making statements like that in order to gain public goodwill. A politician in any Latin American country can easily say something like that about someone who makes an antichristian film in that country and will be praised by the masses.
An example is the way many Nigerians praised the govt to high heavens for making same-sex relationships criminal. Many Nigerians will happily lynch any suspected homosexual without regret and quite a number will hail any minister that calls for the death of someone like Bisi Alimi. Human beings are all the same my dear.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 10:09am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

An example is the way many Nigerians praised the govt to high heavens for making same-sex relationships criminal. Many Nigerians will happily lynch any suspected homosexual without regret and quite a number will hail any minister that calls for the death of someone like Bisi Alimi. [b]Human beings are all the same my dea[/b]r.

And our people get an high from such self justifying acts. Talk about mob mentality. Quite a pity.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 10:14am On Jan 10, 2015
Bayswater:

Are you saying the Charlie hebdo journalists brought this upon themselves?

I just wonder what would have happened to Nigerian journalists if they get the same treatment.
The Nigerian society is a largely multi-religious one. It's not like a French society threatened by 'contamination' by a minority religion of immigrants. Also, Nigerian journalists largely respect religious boundaries.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 10:17am On Jan 10, 2015
ChristyG:
Are u trying to justify deir babaric behaviour?dat same magazine had make fun of other religions not only islam.what is it with islam,that will make pple to start killing other people just because they insulted their religion,we all have a right to our opinion..u muslims just have to learn to tolerate and live peacefull with others...islam is such a devilish religion.jeeez
I'm not justifying anything. I'm just saying why not remove the provocation and prevent the attack in the first place. I explained above why French Muslims were likely to take those things more seriously than other religious groups in France.
And I'm Christian.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 10, 2015
Islam is occultic, its a blood sucking forum. A group of rapist, child molesters, a prophet muhammed dat raped a 6 years old baby and ask his followers to rape children, peace cannever be unto him in hell were he is now.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ISIS Vows To Destroy Mecca’s Kaaba, “kill Those Who Worship Stones / When Will Ramadan 1443H Start? / Lessons Learnt From Luqman's Advice To His Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.