Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? (5554 Views)

Charlie Hebdo:of Justifications, Condemnation And Apologies / The Prophet(s.a.w)teachings- In Response To The Cartoons( Charlie Hebdo) / Charlie Hebdo; Beacon Of Free Speech Fired Reporter For 'anti-semitism.' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 10, 2015
Bayswater:

Just tell me you are kidding. Can Allah not fight for himself? France does not have a native muslim population, these people (mainly immigrants) have been deprived from their various nations; France made a mistake by opening their borders to these set of ungrateful and impoverished immigrants. So what's hard in being a muslim? These mofos were indoctrinated and radicalized by the same Quran all of you read. Is that a lie? Until you face the facts and start going after the imams radicalizing these youngsters, the dim perception most western nations have about Islam will never change.

You are misinformed dear. Immigrants from countries where France gets a cut from their annual budget for colonising them. If these immigrants are not needed, di you think France would care to keep them?

You sound hatred-filled. I won't be surprised if you are a tertorist in the making.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by ChristyG(f): 10:31am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

I'm not justifying anything. I'm just saying why not remove the provocation and prevent the attack in the first place. I explained above why French Muslims were likely to take those things more seriously than other religious groups in France.
And I'm Christian.
oh please spare my that sh1t talk,is it only islam that dat get critizised?no!!so why is it only muslims dat will start killing others when their religion gets critizised.soon,they will come and tell us islam is a religion of peace...ISLAM IS EVIL!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 10:31am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

I'm not justifying anything. I'm just saying why not remove the provocation and prevent the attack in the first place. I explained above why French Muslims were likely to take those things more seriously than other religious groups in France.
And I'm Christian.

I get your stand but I believe that usually minorities avoid unusual publicity especially bad ones. They could have used the courts to settle the dispute and most likey have won. Such a paper would have made enemies in the past and thus encouraging making them an example. On the contrary now more papers are no more conservative on the use of caution on islam anymore. Check out CNN is now permitting the use of prophet mohammed's picture unlike before. The victimizer victim has now becom a hero.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 10:33am On Jan 10, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Islam is occultic, its a blood sucking forum. A group of rapist, child molesters, a prophet muhammed dat raped a 6 years old baby and ask his followers to rape children, peace cannever be unto him in hell were he is now.
Sometimes, the provocation can be dirty comments like this.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:
Sometimes, the provocation can be dirty comments like this.
guy I won't keep mute, I will say it. A religion dat says if ya see someone dat is not worshipping ya god blood sucking vampire kill dat person. Bro Islam is d problem of dis world, dey nid to be purged out...

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Sunshineluv(f): 10:49am On Jan 10, 2015
I hate that blood sucking religion of piss.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Bayswater: 10:58am On Jan 10, 2015
Yadoctora:

You are misinformed dear. Immigrants from countries where France gets a cut from their annual budget for colonising them. If these immigrants are not needed, di you think France would care to keep them?

You sound hatred-filled. I won't be surprised if you are a tertorist in the making.

Hate-filled? Nope. France getting a cut despite the enormous grants it gives regularly to these countries? My friend, you must be high on orijin laced with weed.

2 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by PapiWata: 11:02am On Jan 10, 2015
Bayswater:

Just tell me you are kidding. Can Allah not fight for himself? France does not have a native muslim population, these people (mainly immigrants) have been deprived from their various nations; France made a mistake by opening their borders to these set of ungrateful and impoverished immigrants. So what's hard in being a muslim? These mofos were indoctrinated and radicalized by the same Quran all of you read. Is that a lie? Until you face the facts and start going after the imams radicalizing these youngsters, the dim perception most western nations have about Islam will never change.

Once again, human beings are massacred because a couple of mad men expect to service 72 virgins in "Paradise", as a reward for committing capital murder.

[size=17pt]The bloodshed is ALWAYS about the 72 virgins waiting in heaven. Always. [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Bayswater: 11:03am On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

The Nigerian society is a largely multi-religious one. It's not like a French society threatened by 'contamination' by a minority religion of immigrants. Also, Nigerian journalists largely respect religious boundaries.

We are talking about general boundaries here, not just religious boundaries. Trust me, if the same measure were to be applied in Nigeria, our not-so-trained journalists would die daily with their peppersoup joint journalism.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Bayswater: 11:04am On Jan 10, 2015
PapiWata:

Once again, human beings are massacred because a couple of mad men expect to service 72 virgins in "Paradise", as a reward for committing capital murder.

This salient point cannot be over-emphasized.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nihilist: 11:09am On Jan 10, 2015
Freedom of Speech does not imply Freedom from Consequence

2 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by PapiWata: 11:18am On Jan 10, 2015
Nihilist:

A self-declared nihilist like yourself would have done better to express the opinion that all acts of genocidal depravity perpetrated by sick and violent people should be permitted under the existential law that there is, ultimately, no law, in your opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Tval(m): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2015
Fu..ck all religious people.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 11:44am On Jan 10, 2015
Nihilist:

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 11:46am On Jan 10, 2015
ChristyG:
oh please spare my that sh1t talk,is it only islam that dat get critizised?no!!so why is it only muslims dat will start killing others when their religion gets critizised.soon,they will come and tell us islam is a religion of peace...ISLAM IS EVIL!!!
Please try to be civil in your talk. Nobody is quarreling here. Let's just discuss the issue.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 11:56am On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:

I get your stand but I believe that usually minorities avoid unusual publicity especially bad ones. They could have used the courts to settle the dispute and most likey have won. Such a paper would have made enemies in the past and thus encouraging making them an example. On the contrary now more papers are no more conservative on the use of caution on islam anymore. Check out CNN is now permitting the use of prophet mohammed's picture unlike before. The victimizer victim has now becom a hero.
This is an ideal reaction. In this case however, these people feel the political and judicial systems are against them already as evidenced by persistent victimisation over the years. They won't seek redress from courts they don't trust.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by teemy(m): 12:09pm On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:

This is an ideal reaction. In this case however, these people feel the political and judicial systems are against them already as evidenced by persistent victimisation over the years. They won't seek redress from courts they don't trust.
True but would going violent serve them any better? Nope. Those two dudes just ended up giving the rest bad names. Now western media would rally on to say "she we no talk am?". Even Anonymous a usually anti govt body has because of this joined in to start attacks on terrorists' website. It would all join the world of free speech as a war on terrorism and islam would be attacked big time if these guys are combining forces together and perceive islam as the enemy of free speech. Even govts have not been spared.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 12:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:

True but would going violent serve them any better?
Of course not.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nihilist: 1:06pm On Jan 10, 2015
PapiWata:

A self-declared nihilist like yourself would have done better to express the opinion that all acts of genocidal depravity perpetrated by sick and violent people should be permitted under the existential law that there is, ultimately, no law, in your opinion.

Let's leave the philosophical debate that my username might provoke to the side for a minute.

Instead, lets focus on the fact that there is no country in this world where freedom of expression is not restricted to some extent.

Why?

Because every single Government in the world understands that unregulated speech is a recipe for Chaos. You can't let people going round saying everything they want to say, with the expectation that everyone else will just docilely accept it.

It's just common sense.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 1:47pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nihilist:

Let's leave the philosophical debate that my username might provoke to the side for a minute.

Instead, lets focus on the fact that there is no country in this world where freedom of expression is not restricted to some extent.

Why?

Because every single Government in the world understands that unregulated speech is a recipe for Chaos. You can't let people going round saying everything they want to say, with the expectation that everyone else will just docilely accept it.

It's just common sense.

That's the whole point.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by supremus: 2:12pm On Jan 10, 2015
teemy:

Yes I got ur point, the way the court was use against a Muslim Cleric who tried to build terroer Camp and was jailed for LIFE yesterday http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-NHX8QG6VDKI101-5K6J4B8ROFOOU5083UU35HP2NE
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Duru1(m): 2:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
Everything on earth remains earthly thing and should be treated the same. It is plain act of sectarian idiocy to kill God's creature because one stupid fellow had been caricatured on the pages of Newspaper.

3 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by PapiWata: 4:35pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nihilist:

Why?

It's just common sense.

The French people, as do the Americans and most of the industrialized west, jealously guard the right to free speech that is enshrined in the articles of democracy that date back to the very inception of all those nations constructed on solid foundations of true liberty for all.

If any particular subset of people resident in, or immigrated into, a free and democratic society find themselves developing a strong enough disdain for the right to engage in the unfettered free speech to which ALL nationals of such countries are entitled by law and by right, then such aggrieved groups or individuals are equally free to vote with their feet, and DEPART the country where freedom is non-negotiable, so as to ship off their narrow little minds away, for PERMANENT re-settlement in any of those backward and repressive rogue nations whose names end with the suffix "--istan", where the Golden Rule applies, in that those who own the gold make the rules that apply to all others except themselves, their relatives and their cronies.

In a nutshell, anyone who resides in a free democratic country like France, the UK, the USA or Australia, and who feels that free speech BY ALL is not to their liking, MUST be shown the door and booted out unceremoniously, so that they can depart to any of the various dark and restrictive jurisdictions on this green planet where the very concept of freedom is an alien one that will never take root in this lifetime.

If you don't love it, leave it and go where you DO love it, WITHOUT engaging in mass murder in furtherance of a quixotic and futile bid to alter the long established society around you by force of arms.

3 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nihilist: 4:46pm On Jan 10, 2015
PapiWata:

The French people, as do the Americans and most of the industrialized west, jealously guard the right to free speech that is enshrined in the articles of democracy that date back to the very inception of all those nations constructed on solid foundations of true liberty for all.

If any particular subset of people resident in, or immigrated into, a free and democratic society find themselves developing a strong enough disdain for the right to engage in the unfettered free speech to which ALL nationals of such countries are entitled by law and by right, then such aggrieved groups of individuals are equally free to vote with their feet, and DEPART the country where freedom is non-negotiable, so as to ship off their narrow little minds away, for PERMANENT re-settlement in any of those backward and repressive rogue nations whose names end with the suffix "--istan", where the Golden Rule applies, in that those who own the gold make the rules that apply to all others except themselves, their relatives and their cronies.

In a nutshell, anyone who resides in a free democratic country like France, the UK, the USA or Australia, and who feels that free speech BY ALL is not to their liking, MUST be shown the door and booted out unceremoniously, so that they can depart to any of the various dark and restrictive jurisdictions on this green planet where the very concept of freedom is an alien one that will never take root in this lifetime.

If you don't love it, leave it and go where you DO love it, WITHOUT engaging in mass murder in furtherance of a quixotic and futile bid to alter the long established society around you by force of arms.

You are still missing the very simple point I raised earlier.

Freedom of speech is a myth. If not, why are there restrictions on hate speech, inciting speech, and racially-tinted speech in those very countries you mentioned?

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nihilist: 4:51pm On Jan 10, 2015
For Example,

As part of "internal security" enactments passed in 2003 in France, it is an offense to insult the national flag or anthem, with a penalty of a maximum 9,000 euro fine or up to six months' imprisonment Restrictions on "offending the dignity of the republic", on the other hand, include "insulting" anyone who serves the public (potentially magistrates, police, firefighters, teachers and even bus conductors)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom from Consequence cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by PapiWata: 4:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nihilist:

You are still missing the very simple point I raised earlier.

Free speech is a myth. If not, why are there restrictions on hate speech, inciting speech, and racially-tinted speech in those very countries you mentioned?

Expressing a sense of humor about religion in the print or electronic media is most certainly NOT the same thing as DIRECTLY inciting violence by a call to arms, which would not be allowed in any country that hopes to remain at peace internally and internationally.

If the satirical paper in France could mock Jesus and Christianity with NO violent reaction from anyone, then those who adhere to other religious belief systems would be very presumptive and arrogant indeed, to expect that THEIR religion should be EXEMPT from taking its turn as the butt of jokes of the sort which are routinely taken in stride by Christians.

Again, my humble opinion is that anyone who wishes to impose double standards on the concept of free speech is obviously confused about the very meaning of the term "freedom", and should thus be forcibly encouraged to move PERMANENTLY to North Korea or Afghanistan where they can mull over the concept of freedom and civil liberty, from a decidedly more enlightening and educative vantage point.

2 Likes

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nihilist: 5:04pm On Jan 10, 2015
PapiWata:

Expressing a sense of humor about religion in the print or electronic media is most certainly NOT the same thing as DIRECTLY inciting violence by a call to arms, which would not be allowed in any country that hopes to remain at peace internally and internationally.

If the satirical paper in France could mock Jesus and Christianity with NO violent reaction from anyone, then those who adhere to other religious belief systems would be very presumptive and arrogant indeed, to expect that THEIR religion should be EXEMPT from taking its turn as the but of jokes of the sort which are routinely taken in stride by Christians.

Again, my humble opinion is that anyone who wishes to impose double standards on the concept of free speech is obviously confused about the very meaning of the term "freedom", and should thus move PERMANENTLY to North Korea or Afghanistan to contemplate the concept of freedom and civil liberty, from a decidedly more enlightening and educative vantage point.

Again missing the point.

One of the reasons why there are restrictions on things like hate speech is the simple fact that such speech could OFFEND people.
Hence while it is not a crime to have racist sentiments, it becomes a crime to start expressing such sentiments in public.

Another example is p0rn0graphy.

You don't see smut on telly during the day. Infact, where I live, not only can TV station's not show Adult movies before 9pm, they can't even show Live TV programmes that feature foul language and swear words before 9pm, so that it doesn't OFFEND people.

People who are offended cannot be trusted to behave logically. Hence, Governments have a duty of care to their citizens to prevent provocation for provocation's sake.

Muslims do NOT joke with their prophet and are obliged to protect his honour even at the expense of their own lives. Common sense dictates that We shouldn't wind them up.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Nihilist: 5:09pm On Jan 10, 2015
France abolished the offence of blasphemy in 1791; [size=18pt]but the offence persists in the regions of Alsace and Moselle as Articles 166 and 167 of the local penal code. The Articles persist as a holdover from the German criminal code of 1871. Validated by La loi du 17 Octobre 1919 and le Décret du 25 Novembre 1919, the Articles forbid public blasphemy against God[/size]. No convictions under Articles 166 and 167 have been registered

So even in France, there are still some places where it is ILLEGAL to Blaspheme? cheesy

PapiWata bone matter abeg....
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by redsun(m): 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2015
The muderfuckers didn't have anything to live for,so they chose to end their miserable lives with people that have a lot to live for. The gap between the well off and the deprived,mostly African immigrants is astronomical and things like this are bound to happen with a bit of delusional persuasions.

1 Like

Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 8:40pm On Jan 10, 2015
redsun:
The muderfuckers didn't have anything to live for,so they chose to end their miserable lives with people that have a lot to live for. The gap between the well off and the deprived,mostly African immigrants is astronomical and things like this are bound to happen with a bit of delusional persuasions.
Thank God you understand that it's easier to provoke a suffering man than a comfortable one. In such developed societies, there are special facilities to protect and ease the suffering of the physically challenged. The same must be done for the socially challenged, part of which is protecting them from provocative media attacks. Media censorship is what is needed here.
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by Chartey(m): 9:01pm On Jan 10, 2015
Interesting New York Times article titled "I Am Not Charlie Hebdo."
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/opinion/david-brooks-i-am-not-charlie-hebdo.html?_r=0&referrer=
Re: Did Charlie Hebdo Go Too Far? by lavatoz(f): 9:33pm On Jan 10, 2015
Chartey:
Na wa o. This Charlie Hebdo thing eh.
Many people have condemned the killings and I follow suit.
I however want to say that I'm not comfortable with the way
people are not talking about the immediate cause.
Journalists/satirists have to learn how not to unnecessarily
ridicule what people hold dear to heart. A little humour is
never bad but the boundaries must always be recognised.
Indeed Charlie Hebdo is not a stellar organisation and has had
a few bans in the past because of extreme satire. Some
people may ask why Catholics and other groups don't attack
them. It is because the Muslim population of France is still
the most deprived and they hold on strongly to what unites
them and gives meaning to their lives. Therefore, their
reaction to that kind of attack on their religion will naturally be
more exaggerated than how other groups react. This is where
the focus must be.
It must be really hard to be a Muslim in this our generation,
you are ridiculed, betrayed by some few bad eggs, and then
the whole body of Islam bears the brunt again. I'm with you
my Muslim brethren.
My own small take o.
Please what do you think?

I'm not surprised at how you think, you come from a place that attacks victims more by feeling an antelope shouldn't have been dancing before the lion hence the reason for it being killed. In, Nigeria there is no freedom of speech concerning anything be it politcs, social issues not to mention religion. Instead, there are filled with sycophants and butt-kissers that is the big diff b/t western journalists and third world journalists. If he were in Nigeria he wud have died since. You condemn the killings while contradicting yourself for justifying their reasons for killing the man. They didn't just kill the man they killed and shot other innocent people. For what? Mocking islam? Other religions were mocked; do their followers like it? Of course not they wud be furious but they won't kill people for that. These terrorists have just proven western media that muslims are barbaric 1st century humans. Regardless of the existence of good, sane, sweet and philanthropic muslims that outweigh the demonic ones and condemn these acts; you can't help but think that islam is a very ambiguous religion with violent doctrines.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gatiano A Muslim Scholar, Said " The Hadith Is Corrupt And Invalid" / ISIS Vows To Destroy Mecca’s Kaaba, “kill Those Who Worship Stones / Lessons Learnt From Luqman's Advice To His Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.