Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Democracy Is Flawed. Youths Should Start Getting Ready For Politics. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Is Flawed. Youths Should Start Getting Ready For Politics. (913 Views)

Buhari Getting Ready To Break Record As First Nigeria President To Resign / I Have Never Seen Where Democracy Is Mocked Like In Nigerian – Dogara / Money For Politics Or Development As Gov Obiano Receives N10 Billion Grant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Democracy Is Flawed. Youths Should Start Getting Ready For Politics. by skydancer: 2:49pm On Jan 10, 2015
Democracy is flawed. What is democracy if the citizens can't actually make a valid choice? In the US SuperPACs are responsible for "corrupting democracy" through massive sponsorship of select candidates. Malawi fielded 14 presidential candidates in her 2014 elections but the results were nearly canceled because of poor election conducts (casualties were involved) and most likely it wasn't free and fair. Nigeria on the other hand has improved the credibility of her elections but currently stuck with two presidential aspirants as her best presidential candidates out of the numerous political parties in Nigeria; indicating maybe that the others were too poor to buy a presidential form or reject a step down/don't contest bribe.

If Dictionary.com definition of democracy: "Government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. a state having such a form of government."
is right, then I think it's high time Nigerian youths began planning the best for herself. It is not news that our election primaries process is flawed -- AO Omobawale has an entire article on it http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajpssi/article/view/34167
We need a better election primaries process, Nigerian youths need to know the exact steps required to participate in the leadership and development of Nigeria constitution-wise.

Majority of people in our "House of Assemblies" are corrupt and there are few people currently in Nigeria's politics that can lead us. What this means is that we need more capable Nigerians participating actively in our politics.
Our current electoral act is messed up, in February 2015 there are two processes involved in voting, one is 'accreditation', the other is the voting. I don't know why that is needed when we have moved to e-voting and spend billions of naira a day on it. There's no merit I can deduce from this process except to reduce the number of voters and thus increase the amount of votes that can be abused. In addition, we have PVCs now and a better national identification system, yet our electoral act prevent any form of online voting even if accompanied with proper identification technology. Who is deceiving who? If our politicians can't understand how to make our state better by taking advantage of technology, then they need to be changed or trained. I don't see the point of online campaigns or advertisements when we're faced with a Hobson's choice and and majority of the people who will vote are gullible innocent illiterates who don't participate in online media.

If we really want things to be better, we have to actively start making it better now. Our concerned youths need to turn their attention into developing systems that help enlighten the majority of the Nigerian populace, improve literacy and reduce the information gap rather than working to develop a new Facebook. In this regards I respect people like [url="https://www.facebook.com/chyko07"]Chike Mgbemena[/url] and his team, plus various others who I don't know that have been building apps and website in this regards. And also members like Obiagelli, OAM4J, NairalandOP, Scribble, Jaideyone, Sincere9gerian, Afam4eva, Litmus, Ngakwe etc who contribute to the politics section. Our entire democratic system needs overhauling, the Internet provides us with a platform where we can unite, speak and act with one voice. We can't fold our hands and continue to wait for someone to give us a "credible candidate", we need to start building them now. Thank you.
Re: Democracy Is Flawed. Youths Should Start Getting Ready For Politics. by ricsman(m): 3:06pm On Jan 10, 2015
u are welc

(1) (Reply)

NRC Takes Delivery Of 5 New Coaches;flags Off Train Service To Markudi Jan 22 / Photo:Benue State Couple Decorate Their 5month Child Wit APC Shirt,Cap And Broom / General Buhari On ALJAZEERA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.