Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,560 members, 7,955,078 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:18 PM

Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse (1084 Views)

Moment Of Truth: Have You Ever Spied On Your Spouse's Phone? - Bamisepeters / Will You Let Someone Sleep With Your Spouse For N10m? - (See Responses) / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by harrysterol(m): 10:29pm On Jan 10, 2015
Is it advisable to have a joint bank account with your spouse? Since your both one? Or it will indicate that your not in the same page concerning money management if it a separate account

Do/will you have joint bank account with your spouse?
Reasons!! Just been thinking about that
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by Lexusgs430: 12:56am On Jan 11, 2015
My Wife and I don't have a joint account. We have separate accounts(been married for 15 years).
It's done for personal reasons !!!! A joint account would work for some but not all. You and your partner would have to decide, what works for both of you.
There is no set rule on this issue, but would have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.
Do what is best and works for you !!!

1 Like

Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 1:13am On Jan 11, 2015
A joint account isn't necessary for cooperation. I keep my money, she keeps hers and there's peace.
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 3:46am On Jan 11, 2015
When I eventually get married I would love to have multiple accounts with my spouse where respective percentages of our income go into. E.g:

1) Joint bank account. 40% of income.

2) Account for the children. 20% of income

3) Account for miscellaneous expenses. 10% of income

4) Personal accounts. 30% balance.

So each month both of us would be required to save at least 70% of our income.

1 Like

Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by duperola(f): 6:42am On Jan 11, 2015
i don't keep joint acct wt hubby!reason is dt i don't want issues coz of money.
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by LewsTherin: 7:00am On Jan 11, 2015
Before a couple gets married, they should have a proper discussion on finance, give their individual positions on what they feel a out money and money in marriage, and then de ide if they want to run joint accounts or not.

I believe a couple who truly wish to share and become one will opperate some sort of joint monetary union.

My Lady and I do. Besides, she has access to my personal account as well (and my email. And my phone. And my social media). A wise woman knows how to handle a high degree of trust.

A wise man too, come to think of it. grin

1 Like

Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 11, 2015
harrysterol:
Is it advisable to have a joint bank account with your spouse? Since your both one? Or it will indicate that your not in the same page concerning money management if it a separate account

Do/will you have joint bank account with your spouse?
Reasons!! Just been thinking about that

I don't think you would want to experience what could fall out from keeping a joint account. Even in marriages, money could be a big challenge. And this is especially true with Nigerians.
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by harrysterol(m): 7:22am On Jan 11, 2015
Lexusgs430:
My Wife and I don't have a joint account. We have separate accounts(been married for 15 years).
It's done for personal reasons !!!! A joint account would work for some but not all. You and your partner would have to decide, what works for both of you.
There is no set rule on this issue, but would have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.
Do what is best and works for you !!!
that to say the issue has to be discussed first between both parties before doing right?
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by harrysterol(m): 7:24am On Jan 11, 2015
LewsTherin:
Before a couple gets married, they should have a proper discussion on finance, give their individual positions on what they feel a out money and money in marriage, and then de ide if they want to run joint accounts or not.

I believe a couple who truly wish to share and become one will opperate some sort of joint monetary union.

My Lady and I do. Besides, she has access to my personal account as well (and my email. And my phone. And my social media). A wise woman knows how to handle a high degree of trust.

really? shocked
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by LewsTherin: 7:28am On Jan 11, 2015
harrysterol:
really? shocked

Really really.
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by Lexusgs430: 8:57am On Jan 11, 2015
harrysterol:
that to say the issue has to be discussed first between both parties before doing right?

Best to discuss, then you know her default position. Then both of you can easily work on what is best for the union.
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by Nutase: 1:05pm On Jan 11, 2015
LewsTherin:
Before a couple gets married, they should have a proper discussion on finance, give their individual positions on what they feel about money and money in marriage, and then decide if they want to run joint accounts or not.
My name is NUTASE and I ENDORSE the post quoted above.
striktlymi:
When I eventually get married I would love to have multiple accounts with my spouse where respective percentages of our income go into. E.g:
1) Joint bank account. 40% of income.
2) Account for the children. 20% of income
3) Account for miscellaneous expenses. 10% of income
4) Personal accounts. 30% balance.
So each month both of us would be required to save at least 70% of our income.

This sounds CHILDISH.
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 11, 2015
Nutase:

My name is NUTASE and I ENDORSE the post quoted above.

This sounds CHILDISH.

Different strokes...
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by YourCoffin: 4:22pm On Jan 11, 2015
I'm never keeping joint account with anybody but I hear its a good practice for married folks. But, how would I know if I'm never going to try it?
Re: Joint Bank Account With Your Spouse by krystal101(f): 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2015
Well, as they say; different strokes...

Hubby & have:
a joint a/c : small amounts go there for long term goals eg, buying a house etc

2diff a/c for the children

A company a/c

And our individual a/cs, I got 2. He has 3

So it all depends on what works for you

(1) (Reply)

The Longest 20 Minutes Of My Life. / Man Caught Sleeping With Younger Brothers Wife / Little Skittles!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.