Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,033 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. (5842 Views)

When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number / How To Sit In A Car Without Back Pain (Photos) / Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by drlogg: 1:46pm On Jan 11, 2015
First i thank God for a forum like nairaland.

So let me share my experience to you. It happend this morn. I took my car out to church, due to some reason I parked my car outside church premises, though infront of a closed shop. With my rear facing the entrance of the said shop. Hoping the owner of the shop wont open today cuz it a sunday mrn.

Now to my great surprise, upon leaving church, i found my car moved away fromthe entrance of the shop ( i.e, the car's rear facing the shop's entrance has been moved away providing space for the shop owner to open her door.) How cld it be! Now my question is what are the disadvantages of doing such thing to a parked car. Though the car drives fine afterwards.

Please note that hand brake is not that effective. Car is 1997 honda accord.
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:57pm On Jan 11, 2015
drlogg:
First i thank God for a forum like nairaland.

So let me share my experience to you. It happend this morn. I took my car out to church, due to some reason I parked my car outside church premises, though infront of a closed shop. With my rear facing the entrance of the said shop. Hoping the owner of the shop wont open today cuz it a sunday mrn.

Now to my great surprise, upon leaving church, i found my car moved away fromthe entrance of the shop ( i.e, the car's rear facing the shop's entrance has been moved away providing space for the shop owner to open her door.) How cld it be! Now my question is what are the disadvantages of doing such thing to a parked car. Though the car drives fine afterwards.

Please note that hand brake is not that effective. Car is 1997 honda accord.

no harm at all except if the jack has been put on the wrong jacking position it might make a dent underneath the car
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by drlogg: 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2015
Ur comment is soothing Zimdrill
I dont even knw if car- jack was used in shifting the car. I will check underneath and see whatsup.
Thanks again
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2015
You don't state if your car is a manual or automatic.

1 Like

Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by drlogg: 2:23pm On Jan 11, 2015
Siena:
You don't state if your car is a manual or automatic.

It is a Manual gear sir
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by earthrealm(m): 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2015
the car is probablly front wheel drive, so they either jacked up the front ..or got boys to lift the fron and then rolled the car back a few feet via the rear tires....no harm is done to the car pr gear system

1 Like

Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Coldplay007(f): 6:51pm On Jan 11, 2015
drlogg:

It is a Manual gear sir

grin
Manual and the hand brake is faulty...
The gear was probably on Neutral right?
They don't need to jack the car, all they did was push and it moved..
It's only the hand brake that stops a manual tranny car from moving when in neutral..
And since ur hand brake is faulty... cool

Lucky you the car was not on a slope.. the car might have come to meet you in the church.. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by colossus2: 7:18pm On Jan 11, 2015
Coldplay007:

grin
It's only the hand brake that stops a manual tranny car from moving when in neutral..

Lucky you the car was not on a slope.. the car might have come to meet you in the church.. grin
grin
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by drlogg: 7:55pm On Jan 11, 2015
Coldplay007:

grin

awww...u did nt get the pont......to park a manual tranny car means u have to the gear into 1. Secondly, the rear of the car was shifted sideways to create allowance for the chop owner to open her shop.

U sef funny sha...why wld u parka manual tranny car in neutral gear when u dont have good hand brake...
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by drlogg: 8:00pm On Jan 11, 2015
From what my frds have said here...I think no harm is done. But I am still waitng for my friend Siena to write on it. I just dont like it when someone messes with my baby tiger. I maturely let the shop owner knw my displeasure for messing with my baby
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:22pm On Jan 11, 2015
Go and check your car, you have dents on the rear near the tyres, both sides. They lifted and shifted the rear using bare hands, no harm to your vehicle, but I'm sure you have minor dents.
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Coldplay007(f): 8:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
drlogg:

awww...u did nt get the pont......to park a manual tranny car means u have to the gear into 1. Secondly, the rear of the car was shifted sideways to create allowance for the chop owner to open her shop.

U sef funny sha...why wld u parka manual tranny car in neutral gear when u dont have good hand brake...

YOU didn't get the point.. It's very bad habit to park in gear one...
He didn't mention anything about leaving the car gear in 1, so the natural assumption is that he packed the normal way (in neutral)..
But if he actually parked in gear one, then u guys are correct about the car being lifted..
Or did he mistakenly leave his doors open?

OP! Was the car in Neutral or 1?
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by colossus2: 8:57pm On Jan 11, 2015
Coldplay007:

He didn't mention anything about leaving the car gear in 1, so the natural assumption is that he packed the normal way (in neutral)..
But if he actually parked in gear one, then u guys are correct about the car being lifted..

He is the OP cheesy
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Coldplay007(f): 9:16pm On Jan 11, 2015
colossus2:

He is the OP cheesy

grin grin grin grin
I think I need to take a nap....

1 Like

Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:20pm On Jan 11, 2015
Coldplay007:

bad habit or not we can debate all night long

but it depends with terrain

check this its from government website part of the UK highway code

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-at-night-248-to-252

1 Like

Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:24pm On Jan 11, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

bad habit or not we can debate all night long

but it depends with terrain

check this its from government website part of the UK highway code

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-at-night-248-to-252

I love this info, that's actually how I park, didn't know it was written somwhere.
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:28pm On Jan 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

I love this info, that's actually how I park, didn't know it was written somwhere.

how did you get your licence then ?
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:35pm On Jan 11, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

how did you get your licence then ?

I live in Naija. tongue taught my self how to drive by watching (manual transmission.) cool age 15.
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:37pm On Jan 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

I live in Naija. tongue taught my self how to drive by watching (manual transmission.) cool age 15.

so you saying you dont have a licence but you drive and you did the buying of the licence
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Coldplay007(f): 9:45pm On Jan 11, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

so you saying you dont have a licence but you drive and you did the buying of the licence

grin grin

My good friend Zimdrill... wink
Seems you never lived in Naija b4...
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:46pm On Jan 11, 2015
Coldplay007:

grin grin

My good friend Zimdrill... wink
Seems you never lived in Naija b4...

am not a nigerian i am a zimbabwean living in UK

i know that people buy licence but atleat you know road rules from the highway code
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by drlogg: 9:49pm On Jan 11, 2015
colossus2:

He is the OP cheesy

colossus2 and coldplay007, maybe u guys r the shopowner that shifted my car grin
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:52pm On Jan 11, 2015
drlogg:

colossus2 and coldplay007, maybe u guys r the shopowner that shifted my car grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxeJzzvvDnQ
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:53pm On Jan 11, 2015
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:56pm On Jan 11, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

We are derailing. Meanwhile I have renewed my licence twice. End
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:01pm On Jan 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

We are derailing. Meanwhile I have renewed my licence twice. End

i dont know your system

do they expire ? or something

here you only change after 10 i.e get a new picture taken (for obvious reason how you looked 10 year ago and present would be different so the picture has to be changed)
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Coldplay007(f): 10:06pm On Jan 11, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

am not a nigerian i am a zimbabwean living in UK

i know that people buy licence but atleat you know road rules from the highway code

Zimbabwean, that's more like it.. I always knew there was something different about you..
You don't beef.. (so beef is Nigerian grin)..
Most Nigerians would have started spitting beef after our last encounter on that tranny thread.. grin
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by drlogg: 10:07pm On Jan 11, 2015
Nice one zimdrill
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:10pm On Jan 11, 2015
Coldplay007:

Zimbabwean, that's more like it.. I always knew there was something different about you..
You don't beef.. (so beef is Nigerian grin)..
Most Nigerians would have started spitting beef after our last encounter on that tranny thread.. grin

i havent got time for beef

i say things that i know and for cars i work on cars every day and things i say are through experience

and this moving of the car we always doing it in our work shop we lift one side with jack and the jack will act as the pivot and us we push from the other side, the car will shift to where ever we want
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Coldplay007(f): 10:13pm On Jan 11, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

i havent got time for beef

i say things that i know and for cars i work on cars every day and things i say are through experience

Lol.
Like I said, you don't beef.. You don't have a sense of humour too.. grin cheesy
You are definitely not a Nigerian.. cool
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:22pm On Jan 11, 2015
Coldplay007:

Lol.
Like I said, you don't beef.. You don't have a sense of humour too.. grin cheesy
You are definitely not a Nigerian.. cool

I do have sense of humour but dont get some of the nigerian humour

Just like some of english humour or vice versa my zimbabwean humour to non zimbabwean
Re: Pls What Are The Dangers Of Shifting A Parked Car Without Keys. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 11, 2015
Humping the car to raise the striven wheels (if it's in gear) or the rear wheels (if the parking brake is on) wouldn't cause any mechanical damage.

However...the areas that were grabbed (wheel arches or bumper) MAY be distorted. The wheel arches could have the radius' bent, and the area above them may be dented, especially if the car was raised whilst the lifters had their backs facing the car.

Your bumpers being plastic, it's unlikely the guys that humped your car backwards, forwards or sideways would have been daft enough to have used them as lifting points.

If the car was raised with a trolley jack, then depending on where the jack saddle was placed, your floor pan COULD be dented, fuel and brake lines COULD be crushed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nissan GT-R50 By Italdesign Celebrates 50 Years Of Two Icons / Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue / Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.