Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,096 members, 7,821,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski (15281 Views)

Funtastic Illustrations By Amazing Henry / Disturbing Yet Thought Provoking / Comic Illustrations (iii) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by basille(m): 11:30pm On Jan 11, 2015
Art isn’t just meant to look pretty – it can also be used to transfer ideas and messages. Polish illustrator Pawel Kuczynski’s grim and sharply satirical works, are a perfect example of art that speaks volumes.

Much of his artwork deals with serious themes such as poverty, greed, politics and mortality. While his subject matter is stark, his illustrative style is whimsical and cartoonish. This provides great contrast and makes his work interesting to analyse.

And many more....

SOURCE
SOURCE

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by ernecy(m): 11:37pm On Jan 11, 2015
I love this art work, this guy's imagination is out of this world!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by adexsimply(m): 12:55am On Jan 12, 2015
Jeez!!! I so love these illustrations cry cry cry
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 12, 2015
Nice art. Alot of them quick to grab but found some incomprehensible; I believe its the context I don't grasp fully.
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by prof800(m): 9:12am On Jan 12, 2015
Really thought provoking illustrations!
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by frodobee: 10:45am On Jan 12, 2015
Illustrations with a real message. A challenge to our own- can you do better? Yes you can if you will stop blaming others for your woes and channel that energy to a goal.
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by timpaker(m): 1:07pm On Jan 12, 2015
I love the pix of the black slave - the gold painting of his chains .... Hmmmm.... That's deep!

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by basille(m): 1:10pm On Jan 12, 2015
timpaker:
I love the pix of the black slave - the gold painting of his chains .... Hmmmm.... That's deep!
I didn't get that one.
What does it mean?
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by ovalrose(f): 2:11pm On Jan 13, 2015
hmmm. thought provoking....
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by InZA: 10:40pm On Jan 13, 2015
I consider myself to be very intelligent.

But I will not lie.. I hardly understood the message(s) behind most of the illustrations embarassed

Or maybe I've not pondered on them long enough.

That said... Very lovely illustrations.

*modified*

Ehen...I wan dey fear say my brain no sharp again... After looking at them a second time, I understood all of them... I must say THEY ARE JUST SOOOO BRILLLIANT...look at the one with the guy speaking on a podium, his words mean nothing because they are shiiit.

Then the guy in some sort of a cave with a ladder sticking out to the open (freedom), instead of him climbing the ladder out to his freedom, he rather used the rungs of the ladder as a source of fire/light in his captivity - This has a number of meanings, but since nobody send me message, make I just stop to dey talk gringrin

Bookmarked.
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by basille(m): 3:20pm On Jan 14, 2015
InZA:

But I will not lie.. I hardly understood the message(s) behind most of the illustrations embarassed

*modified*

Ehen...I wan dey fear say my brain no sharp again... After looking at them a second time, I understood all of them... I must say THEY ARE JUST SOOOO BRILLLIANT...look at the one with the guy speaking on a podium, his words mean nothing because they are shiiit.

Then the guy in some sort of a cave with a ladder sticking out to the open (freedom), instead of him climbing the ladder out to his freedom, he rather used the rungs of the ladder as a source of fire/light in his captivity - This has a number of meanings, but since nobody send me message, make I just stop to dey talk gringrin

Bookmarked.

Boss, what does this one

Mean?
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by InZA: 3:36pm On Jan 14, 2015
basille:

Boss, what does this one

Mean?

I'd like to believe that most of this satirical illustrations are contextual in meanings, and by that I mean, they could have various interpretations.

For the gold chained illustration, this is what I think it means - Many people choose to see their difficulties and hardships as absolutely negative, they see it in such a way that absolutely nothing good can come out of it, or there's no lesson to learn, but the truth is, no matter how bad your situation is, if you look deeper within, there's always a way to turn that situation into something as valuable as gold, you can learn a valuable lesson, or use your situation to teach someone a valuable lesson or in many cases that negative situation may just be the needed ingredient for your next major break through, take the instances of Yinka Ayefele, Stevie Wonder and Cobhams, they each have one handicap or the other but yet they chose to use those handicaps as golden opportunities to give their lives meanings. They are world famous celebrities in their respective fields

So that's one of such interpretations that I have personally drawn from that illustration. I hope it helped.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by unofficial(m): 5:03pm On Jan 14, 2015
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet the get the meaning of the second picture though.; the one with all those animals,,,can anyone explain it please.
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 16, 2015
Thank you for sharing! Thank you! Thank you! cheesy

The gold chain, the farm, the ballot... I am blown away by these brilliant illustrations!

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 16, 2015
InZA:

I'd like to believe that most of this satirical illustrations are contextual in meanings, and by that I mean, they could have various interpretations.

For the gold chained illustration, this is what I think it means - Many people choose to see their difficulties and hardships as absolutely negative, they see it in such a way that absolutely nothing good can come out of it, or there's no lesson to learn, but the truth is, no matter how bad your situation is, if you look deeper within, there's always a way to turn that situation into something as valuable as gold, you can learn a valuable lesson, or use your situation to teach someone a valuable lesson or in many cases that negative situation may just be the needed ingredient for your next major break through, take the instances of Yinka Ayefele, Stevie Wonder and Cobhams, they each have one handicap or the other but yet they chose to use those handicaps as golden opportunities to give their lives meanings. They are world famous celebrities in their respective fields

So that's one of such interpretations that I have personally drawn from that illustration. I hope it helped.

Cheers
I didn't initially observe what you've described above upon seeing the picture. The slave chains being painted gold; could it also symbolise materialism, consumerism, defeatism? Born onto lands of bountiful natural wealth, we still don't have much. We carry on painting our chains gold and accepting our situation in this world without much action but have trivial life aspirations. We shouldn't be painting our chains, we should be breaking our chains!!!

Just thinking out loud. I read your observation and thought 'wow, that's more like it!' smiley

3 Likes

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by InZA: 2:49pm On Jan 16, 2015
Flytefalls:

I didn't initially observe what you've described above upon seeing the picture. The slave chains being painted gold; could it also symbolise materialism, consumerism, defeatism? Born onto lands of bountiful natural wealth, we still don't have much. We carry on painting our chains gold and accepting our situation in this world without much action but have trivial life aspirations. We shouldn't be painting our chains, we should be breaking our chains!!!

Just thinking out loud. I read your observation and thought 'wow, that's more like it!' smiley

I think your own interpretation is so interesting, I didn't see it from that perspective at all and I think that's one of the beauties of our collective individualities- seeing things in different lights and applying different solutions to a common problem.

I really learnt from your own interpretation. Thanks for sharing. smiley

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 16, 2015
InZA:

I think your own interpretation is so interesting, I didn't see it from that perspective at all and I think that's one of the beauties of our collective individualities- seeing things in different lights and applying different solutions to a common problem.

I really learnt from your own interpretation. Thanks for sharing. smiley
smiley smiley

unofficial:
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet the get the meaning of the second picture though.; the one with all those animals,,,can anyone explain it please.
Subjection, perhaps?

The animals on the right (small to mighty) are not treated as the tiny cat on the left. The cat looks as if it has authority over the human because it is standing tall, and the human is crouched and petting it. He is holding a knife to signify his relationship with the animals on the right. Then we are left to question why the cat is not on the right with the other animals.

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by basille(m): 10:33pm On Jan 16, 2015
Flytefalls:

smiley smiley

Subjection, perhaps?

The animals on the right (small to mighty) are not treated as the tiny cat on the left. The cat looks as if it has authority over the human because it is standing tall, and the human is crouched and petting it. He is holding a knife to signify his relationship with the animals on the right. Then we are left to question why the cat is not on the right with the other animals.
Probably because the cat is carnivorous. I think that's where the puzzle comes in. Why kill the other animals or collect their dairy product to feed the cat? Are they any different as animals (other than carnivorous, many other animals are also but don't pass as pet).

Different perspective.
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by basille(m): 10:41pm On Jan 16, 2015
Whenever i look at this picture

I feel like the illustrator is trying to say that we humans keep selecting the same type of leaders over again - a cycle.

Another message he is trying to send is the problem might not be from the leaders but the people who keep making the same mistake over and over again by selecting the same type of people as leaders.

Also from another perspective he is also trying to say — No matter the leader elected, people will still criticize, complain or demand more (economic theory of insatiability) hence we all end up tagging all leaders as the same (bad), due to their inability to satisfy our never ending wants irrespective of if we played our patriotic part in ensuring good governance.

In a nutshell: Why do all leaders turn out the same? Probably because while condemning the leaders we fail to also check ourselves? Is the fault truly from the leaders or the people?

The final perspective i think is – No matter the choices we make when electing leaders, not everyone will be satisfied with the leadership (hence the bad leadership tag). So we either deal with it or embrace anarchism.

This cycle never ends. grin
Thought provoking indeed!

2 Likes

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 17, 2015
basille:
Probably because the cat is carnivorous. I think that's where the puzzle comes in. Why kill the other animals or collect their dairy product to feed the cat? Are they any different as animals (other than carnivorous, many other animals are also but don't pass as pet).

Different perspective.
Yes, you are on to something! (Although, pigs are said to eat most things it's presented). All of these animal, except the cat, can be somewhat cultivated for profit. It's the cat that is largely useless, economically speaking.

basille:
Whenever i look at this picture

I feel like the illustrator is trying to say that we humans keep selecting the same type of leaders over again - a cycle.

Another message he is trying to send is the problem might not be from the leaders but the people who keep making the same mistake over and over again by selecting the same type of people as leaders.

Also from another perspective he is also trying to say — No matter the leader elected, people will still criticize, complain or demand more (economic theory of insatiability) hence we all end up tagging all leaders as the same (bad), due to their inability to satisfy our never ending wants irrespective of if we played our patriotic part in ensuring good governance.

In a nutshell: Why do all leaders turn out the same? Probably because while condemning the leaders we fail to also check ourselves? Is the fault truly from the leaders or the people?

The final perspective i think is – No matter the choices we make when electing leaders, not everyone will be satisfied with the leadership (hence the bad leadership tag). So we either deal with it or embrace anarchism.

This cycle never ends. grin
Thought provoking indeed!

Or, the wheel could symbolise a revolution. The people are pulling down the statues to bring on a the new leader who will envitably fall from favour and thus the cycle repeats. New chapters, but the same old er3ction.

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by rexbuton: 5:47am On Jan 18, 2015
Flytefalls:

Yes, you are on to something! (Although, pigs are said to eat most things it's presented). All of these animal, except the cat, can be somewhat cultivated for profit. It's the cat that is largely useless, economically speaking.

Or, the wheel could symbolise a revolution. The people are pulling down the statues to bring on a the new leader who will envitably fall from favour and thus the cycle repeats. New chapters, but the same old er3ction.
the statue is that of Kim Jong II of north Korea, a modern symbol for dictatorship.. AS the people bring down dictators, we can see that there are even more dictators coming up as replacements

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by rexbuton: 5:52am On Jan 18, 2015
InZA:

THe black man is seen painting his old slavery chains into gold fashion chains rather than taking them off.. This can be related to the fashion craze among black people especially celebrities, who spend so much on buying gold chains.. it seems blacks are used to chains, aren't we?

Cheers
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by rexbuton: 5:53am On Jan 18, 2015
InZA:

Cheers
THe black man is seen painting his old slavery chains into gold fashion chains rather than taking them off.. This can be related to the fashion craze among black people especially celebrities (rather curious that the black guy looks like a rapper), who spend so much on buying gold chains which is more like glorified servitude.. it seems blacks are used to chains, aren't we?

2 Likes

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by rexbuton: 5:57am On Jan 18, 2015
InZA:

*modified*

Bookmarked.
The guy on the podium (politician or preacher), everything he says goes down the drain cool
NO pun intended
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by adexsimply(m): 6:00am On Jan 18, 2015
Jeez! flytefalls and basille, I have got to admit, you guys' imaginations are .........
I interpreted those illustrations differently and looking at them from your perspectives, hmmm .... cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by rexbuton: 6:02am On Jan 18, 2015
last pic.. only the rich can cross the divide

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by rexbuton: 6:15am On Jan 18, 2015
This picture summarizes terrorism..
Unattainable benefits(CARROTS, VIRGINS) are dangled before the the individual(TERRORIST) and he chases them unmindful of the greater danger he carries, which eventually leads to destruction. The sponsor (CLERIC) only has to set him on the path.. And there are many more potential terrorists

2 Likes

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by rexbuton: 6:25am On Jan 18, 2015
AMERICA.. A NATION FOUNDED ON LIES grin

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by adexsimply(m): 6:41am On Jan 18, 2015
rexbuton:
This picture summarizes terrorism..
Unattainable benefits(CARROTS, VIRGINS) are dangled before the the individual(TERRORIST) and he chases them unmindful of the greater danger he carries, which eventually leads to destruction. The sponsor (CLERIC) only has to set him on the path.. And there are many more potential terrorists
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2040474_artworksatirecartoonistpawelkuczynskipolish12_jpegfd816cb409a16247efa1585fd06ff349
Hmm..This sounds like a very nice explanation cool
Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by InZA: 7:27am On Jan 18, 2015
rexbuton:

THe black man is seen painting his old slavery chains into gold fashion chains rather than taking them off.. This can be related to the fashion craze among black people especially celebrities (rather curious that the black guy looks like a rapper), who spend so much on buying gold chains which is more like glorified servitude.. it seems blacks are used to chains, aren't we?

Yeah, this interpretation of yours also holds water, African /African American popstars are known for buying and adorning themselves with alot of heavy jewelries, but I don't think that has any relationship with what according to you is "glorified servitude". Your use of this term, gives the illustration a rather literal interpretation, which it is not, don't you think so.

Saying that "blacks are used to chains" is a fairly relatable statement, considering their history to/with slave trade, however to suggest that in this modern times, Africans wear jewelry - chains as a subtle way of reflecting glorified servitude is not exactly correct because it would still mean that blacks are under some form of depression, repression and subservience - which of course is not true. Blacks have come to occupy very prominent cadres of authority and power in modern times and even though we love our jewelry - chains, the fact that we pay heavy money for them reeks nothing of "servitude"

I'd like to know what your counter opinion is on this.
Cheers man.

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 18, 2015
rexbuton:

the statue is that of Kim Jong II of north Korea, a modern symbol for dictatorship.. AS the people bring down dictators, we can see that there are even more dictators coming up as replacements
Yes, it does seem like his statue, thanks for clarifying! We already know the next 2 statues of the wheel are of his own kin/ideals smiley

1 Like

Re: Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski by basille(m): 3:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
Cc: lalasticlala
Ishilove.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Editing With Photoshop (post Your Edited Picture) / A Nairaland Artist Gets Recognised By National Mirror Newspaper / Akwa Ibom State Government Logo Design Competition: Win ₦250,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.