Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,123 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? (3575 Views)

Why Did The Guards At Tomb Of Jesus Take Money To Lie? / A Sincere Question For Theists: Where Did Evil Originate From? / How Did The Races Originate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 3:08pm On Jan 12, 2015
There has been varied explanation to the source of the word "God" from different scholars, but many of them acknowledged that, "The English word God originated from an old Anglo-Saxon word which itself was derived from the Germanic word Gott which was used to refer to all sorts of "gods," not necessarily the "True God" (just as "god" still is)." How come the word is been used in the Bible to replace the name of the Christian God? Why can't the name of the Christian God be written as it is like the Muslims do for Allah?

Questions?

1. Where did the word 'God originate from?

2. What is its meaning?

3. Why is it used in the place of the Christian God in the Bible and not the real name?

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by onos1979(f): 3:11pm On Jan 12, 2015
When a child wants to know what killed his father,he or she should also get ready for death.
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by Weah96: 3:20pm On Jan 12, 2015
asala1:
How come the word is been used in the Bible to replace the name of the Christian God?

Christians, like every other religious group, believe deep down that their own God Yahweh is superior than other Gods like Krishna and Allah. So the answer to this question is arrogance. The same arrogance that caused those Kouaichi brothers in France to execute people that drew hypothetical sketches of a dead man.

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by adanduka: 3:55pm On Jan 12, 2015
Are you writing your thesis? grin

Don't worry you'll soon get an answer. Just live right and do God's will till you get to heaven. The owner of that designation has the perfect answer.
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by Atigba: 4:46pm On Jan 12, 2015
Thanks op

I will like to know too
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 5:08pm On Jan 12, 2015
onos1979:
When a child wants to know what killed his father,he or she should also get ready for death.

What has your proverb got to do with the word 'GOD'?

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 5:11pm On Jan 12, 2015
adanduka:
Are you writing your thesis? grin

Don't worry you'll soon get an answer. Just live right and do God's will till you get to heaven. The owner of that designation has the perfect answer.

No, I am not writing a thesis.

I just want to know where the word 'GOD' originated from and what was the meaning originally.
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2015
And what right do the people who translated the bible have to change the name of YHWH (Yehweh) or Elohim to God?
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by myproperty(m): 10:07am On Feb 24, 2015
asala1:
There has been varied explanation to the source of the word "God" from different scholars, but many of them acknowledged that, "The English word God originated from an old Anglo-Saxon word which itself was derived from the Germanic word Gott which was used to refer to all sorts of "gods," not necessarily the "True God" (just as "god" still is)." How come the word is been used in the Bible to replace the name of the Christian God? Why can't the name of the Christian God be written as it is like the Muslims do for Allah?

Questions?

2. What is its meaning?

3. Why is it used in the place of the Christian God in the Bible and not the real name?

I understand the purpose of topic and the comparison of the word God and the word Allah. It is good that you brought this up.

Firstly the name God or god are purely English words, i hope you do not expect the English to use another language's name for the true God in their dialect. Most of English words are derived from Anglo- Saxon and old Germanic words. Then the word God refers to the true God, while the word god( note with small letter g) refers to those of idols. Now in most native languages there is a thin difference between the idolatry god and the true God in inception( i mean before and in the advent of Christianity and Islam).

For your information, the only tribe or race that have a direct name for God and it is not a derived name are the Jews and possible the Arabs since they exist side by side with the Jews.

Now coming to the term Allah, did you find out the origin of the word? No, i guess you did not. You just don't wake-up and want to condemn a faith you don't belong or like and want to make your own look unique and superior.
The term Allah was already in use before the advent of Islam, the Arabic Christians and Jewish Arabs were already using Allah for the true God before the coming of the prophet of Islam.

Origin of the word Allah: Allah is an Arabic word used in referring to the true God. The word Allah according to some scholars was derived from the name of the Arabic deity of the moon god. This is not the point I am driving at because this may not be true( because some have countered that position).

What I am driving at is that the fact is that the term Allah itself was used by the Christian Arab and Jewish Arabs before Islam adopted it, it was not originally Islam. Why in context of your question, did the Muslims adopt the name of the Arabic Christian God?

http://www.arabicbible.com/for-christians/1810-the-word-allah-and-islam.html

http://www.answering-christianity.com/allah6.htm

http://allahumma..com/
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by johnydon22(m): 10:14am On Feb 24, 2015
[size=20] the name YAHWEH is so precious to the jews that is should not be uttered, so it is being replaced with elohim or adonai when they write their scriptures.. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 24, 2015
asala1:

Questions?

2. What is its meaning?

Good questions! I will give my opinion

The word God came from "Gott" in German,which was then turned to "God" in English. You will notice that it is now called "Gosh" in countries like the U.S and Canada.

The word itself has no in-built meaning. However, it could be used as reference to gutt feeling, intuition etc

Thousands of years back there were references made to many Gods. To the ancient people,a god is someone who can do unusual stuff like reading minds,healing,predicting and commanding the respect of a society with mind control and illusions. There were cases of other beings coming to mingle with humanity to teach the how to use spares,make fire,sow cloths,mathematics,astronomy etc Such a person who be seen as a God(big brain) or someone extremely intelligent.

Yahweh was one of so many beings/persons who mingled with humans back in the days. Yahweh had human attributes like walking in the garden,living on the mountain and having the desire for smoked meat without salt on it(burnt offering). Apparently he forced the Israelis to worship him and see him as a God.

Thousands of years after, the Israelis somehow influenced the Europeans with their stories of Yahweh and him being a "Supreme God" forcefully converted the Europeans,North America,South American and Africans to this Yahweh impersonation of a God.

But for those of us who are smart enough to smell the foul play, Yahweh isn't more of a God than we are. WE ALL ARE EQUAL and co creators.

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by Horus(m): 10:40am On Feb 24, 2015
Stop and think one moment. The name God is not really in the bible. If this is not an English book written by Englishmen, it’s not there; it was added. You are reading a translation. You will also find that God, whether you have a big G, or little g, is not being used in the singular tense, as Eloh or Allah. The beings spoken of in the bible and Koran are the Elohim, the plural of Eloh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by johnydon22(m): 11:19am On Feb 24, 2015
Horus:
Stop and think one moment. The name God is not really in the bible. If this is not an English book written by Englishmen, it’s not there; it was added. You are reading a translation. You will also find that God, whether you have a big G, or little g, is not being used in the singular tense, as Eloh or Allah. The beings spoken of in the bible and Koran are the Elohim, the plural of Eloh.

And elohim might be the plural form of el the canaanite supreme god and his consort asherah and sometimes it is el and his 70 sons which some scholars think yahweh is one of according to the canaanite pentheon..
The jews gave yahweh the attributes of el and most times tried to identify him as the god el and ancient isreal worshipped asherah as yahweh's consort (wife) was destroyed by josiah and finally by ezra and nehemiah and isreal was plunged into strict monotheism...
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 12:16pm On Feb 24, 2015
myproperty:

I understand the purpose of topic and the comparison of the word God and the word Allah. It is good that you brought this up.

Firstly the name God or god are purely English words, i hope you do not expect the English to use another language's name for the true God in their dialect. Most of English words are derived from Anglo- Saxon and old Germanic words. Then the word God refers to the true God, while the word god( note with small letter g) refers to those of idols. Now in most native languages there is a thin difference between the idolatry god and the true God in inception( i mean before and in the advent of Christianity and Islam).

For your information, the only tribe or race that have a direct name for God and it is not a derived name are the Jews and possible the Arabs since they exist side by side with the Jews.

Now coming to the term Allah, did you find out the origin of the word? No, i guess you did not. You just don't wake-up and want to condemn a faith you don't belong or like and want to make your own look unique and superior.
The term Allah was already in use before the advent of Islam, the Arabic Christians and Jewish Arabs were already using Allah for the true God before the coming of the prophet of Islam.

Origin of the word Allah: Allah is an Arabic word used in referring to the true God. The word Allah according to some scholars was derived from the name of the Arabic deity of the moon god. This is not the point I am driving at because this may not be true( because some have countered that position).

What I am driving at is that the fact is that the term Allah itself was used by the Christian Arab and Jewish Arabs before Islam adopted it, it was not originally Islam. Why in context of your question, did the Muslims adopt the name of the Arabic Christian God?

http://www.arabicbible.com/for-christians/1810-the-word-allah-and-islam.html

http://www.answering-christianity.com/allah6.htm

http://allahumma..com/

You are getting it all wrong. I am not even a Muslim. BTW the work Allah literary means "The God" Arabic.
The Christian God is a Hebrew God and has a name was called YHWH. The word God means something else from the beginning, why not just call Him YHWH instead of adopting God as His name. For example in yoruba spirituality, Sango is Sango and Olodumare is Olodumare, just as my name is asala1 and you just don't choose to call me another name cause it is convenient for you.

Another example is the name Jesus, was that His name from the beginning in the Hebrew or people just adopted the name Jesus because it is convenient. If the name of the messiah is to be as potent and was given by God as we believe, why change the name to Jesus?

Obasanjo is Obasanjo even in Japan, Ebele is Ebele even in China and Ban Ki-Moon is Ban Ki-moon even in Yoruba.

My question again, Where does the word "GOD" originate from and what was its original meaning?

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 12:18pm On Feb 24, 2015
ifeness:

Good questions! I will give my opinion

The word God came from "Gott" in German,which was then turned to "God" in English. You will notice that it is now called "Gosh" in countries like the U.S and Canada.

The word itself has no in-built meaning. However, it could be used as reference to gutt feeling, intuition etc

Thousands of years back there were references made to many Gods. To the ancient people,a god is someone who can do unusual stuff like reading minds,healing,predicting and commanding the respect of a society with mind control and illusions. There were cases of other beings coming to mingle with humanity to teach the how to use spares,make fire,sow cloths,mathematics,astronomy etc Such a person who be seen as a God(big brain) or someone extremely intelligent.

Yahweh was one of so many beings/persons who mingled with humans back in the days. Yahweh had human attributes like walking in the garden,living on the mountain and having the desire for smoked meat without salt on it(burnt offering). Apparently he forced the Israelis to worship him and see him as a God.

Thousands of years after, the Israelis somehow influenced the Europeans with their stories of Yahweh and him being a "Supreme God" forcefully converted the Europeans,North America,South American and Africans to this Yahweh impersonation of a God.

But for those of us who are smart enough to smell the foul play, Yahweh isn't more of a God than we are. WE ALL ARE EQUAL and co creators.

Thanks, at least you tried to educate me.
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 12:29pm On Feb 24, 2015
Horus:

Why will you translate someone's name?
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by myproperty(m): 1:38pm On Feb 24, 2015
asala1:

You are getting it all wrong. I am not even a Muslim. BTW the work Allah literary means "The God" Arabic.
The Christian God is a Hebrew God and has a name was called YHWH. The word God means something else from the beginning, why not just call Him YHWH instead of adopting God as His name. For example in yoruba spirituality, Sango is Sango and Olodumare is Olodumare, just as my name is asala1 and you just don't choose to call me another name cause it is convenient for you.

Another example is the name Jesus, was that His name from the beginning in the Hebrew or people just adopted the name Jesus because it is convenient. If the name of the messiah is to be as potent and was given by God as we believe, why change the name to Jesus?

Obasanjo is Obasanjo even in Japan, Ebele is Ebele even in China and Ban Ki-Moon is Ban Ki-moon even in Yoruba.

My question again, Where does the word "GOD" originate from and what was its original meaning?

Please tell us its original meaning, if the original meaning is different from the original meaning of the following words: Olodumare/Olorun in Yoruba, Abasi in Ibibio, katonda in buganda tribe of east Africa,god in english etc.

Almost every tribe in the world have a name for their supreme deity and all those tribe after recognizing the true God transfers that name they use for their supreme deity( which on most occasion refer to the god of creation or god of the sky) to the Supreme God and then demote or ignore the then supreme deity. The supreme deity is regarded as having supernatural powers or every other power is subject to it. That is why that name is transferred to the only supreme being YHWH

In English it did not transfer the name rather it differentiated the true God from the lesser god by using a capital G to differentiate it.

Why then did the Qu'ran used the arabic word Ibrahim for Abraham, a peron that existed thousand of years before Islam. The word God is an English word for YHWH same as Abasi, Olorun/Oldumare and Allah. These are names of God in different languages. God is in english, Olorun is yoruba, Abasi is Efik/Ibibio, Chukwu is Ibo.

Maybe you expect the English to abandon the use of their native name for hebrew in English Bible, why use Olorun/Olodumare in Yoruba Bible
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by Weah96: 2:00pm On Feb 24, 2015
myproperty:

Please tell us its original meaning, if the original meaning is different from the original meaning of the following words: Olodumare/Olorun in Yoruba, Abasi in Ibibio, katonda in buganda tribe of east Africa,god in english etc.

Almost every tribe in the world have a name for their supreme deity and all those tribe after recognizing the true God transfers that name they use for their supreme deity( which on most occasion refer to the god of creation or god of the sky) to the Supreme God and then demote or ignore the then supreme deity. The supreme deity is regarded as having supernatural powers or every other power is subject to it. That is why that name is transferred to the only supreme being YHWH

In English it did not transfer the name rather it differentiated the true God from the lesser god by using a capital G to differentiate it.

Why then did the Qu'ran used the arabic word Ibrahim for Abraham, a peron that existed thousand of years before Islam. The word God is an English word for YHWH same as Abasi, Olorun/Oldumare and Allah. These are names of God in different languages. God is in english, Olorun is yoruba, Abasi is Efik/Ibibio, Chukwu is Ibo.

Maybe you expect the English to abandon the use of their native name for hebrew in English Bible, why use Olorun/Olodumare in Yoruba Bible

What arrogance, that the word God is now the personal name of the deity you just happen to ALREADY serve by coincidence. Why is your God supreme, because his name has four consonants, YHWH? I agree it's cool, but that's it. He has as much power as a nylon bag floating in the wind.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by myproperty(m): 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2015
Weah96:

What arrogance, that the word God is now the personal name of the deity you just happen to ALREADY serve by coincidence. Why is your God supreme, because his name has four consonants, YHWH? I agree it's cool, but that's it. He has as much power as a nylon bag floating in the wind.

That is my choice and its cool. What about yours looking for an imaginary ladder to come out of obscurity or vacuum.

Thanks and good day
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by Weah96: 2:14pm On Feb 24, 2015
myproperty:

That is my choice and its cool. What about yours looking for an imaginary ladder to come out of obscurity or vacuum.

Thanks and good day

I'm not sure if you notice, but I detest imaginary objects. But I did enjoy the movie Avatar, the graphics were amazing .
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 2:36pm On Feb 24, 2015
myproperty:

You are still not getting it right. God as we know it today is a general name for any deity. My question is what is the origin and the meaning of the world "GOD"? YHWH is the name of an Hebrew God which I don't know the meaning of the name, Olodumare on the other hand is the name of the Yoruba God (literal meaning: ‘owner’). Both of them are entirely different Gods with different Characteristics. For example:

1.YHWH created people in the garden of eden, while Olodumare created his people in ile-ife.

2.YHWH sent Jesus to save the world, Olodumare don't know who Jesus is.

3.YHWH will send people to hell, Olodumare don't care.

4. YHWH has a rival called Lucifer, Olodumare don't.

5. YHWH wants tithe, Olodumare don't., etc.

BTW what do you mean by the true God and what is your yardstick for measuring God?

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by myproperty(m): 2:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
asala1:

You are still not getting it right. God as we know it today is a general name for any deity. My question is what is the origin and the meaning of the world "GOD"? YHWH is the name of an Hebrew God which I don't know the meaning of the name, Olodumare on the other hand is the name of the Yoruba God (literal meaning: ‘owner’). Both of them are entirely different Gods with different Characteristics. For example:

1.YHWH created people in the garden of eden, while Olodumare created his people in ile-ife.

2.YHWH sent Jesus to save the world, Olodumare don't know who Jesus is.

3.YHWH will send people to hell, Olodumare don't care.

4. YHWH has a rival called Lucifer, Olodumare don't.

5. YHWH wants tithe, Olodumare don't., etc.

BTW what do you mean by the true God and what is your yardstick for measuring God?

I did understand you, are you not the one that ask this question?

The Christian God is a Hebrew God and has a name was called YHWH. The word God means something else from the beginning, why not just call Him YHWH instead of adopting God as His name

So i have given you example of others that also use the universal principle of adoption as long as it is written in their language.
So what do you think the word God not god mean?

Now you are trying to divert to another thing entirely. You seem not to know the question you want to ask .
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 2:59pm On Feb 24, 2015
myproperty:

I did understand you, are you not the one that ask this question?

The Christian God is a Hebrew God and has a name was called YHWH. The word God means something else from the beginning, why not just call Him YHWH instead of adopting God as His name

So i have given you example of others that also use the universal principle of adoption as long as it is written in their language.

Now you are trying to divert to another thing entirely. You seem not to know the question you want to ask .

Ok, the question was what is the origin of the word "GOD" and what is it meaning? Can you help give an answer now please?
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by myproperty(m): 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2015
asala1:

Ok, the question was what is the origin of the word "GOD" and what is it meaning? Can you help give an answer now please?

It is purely an English word for the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 24, 2015
Weah96:

hahaha lol
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by asala1: 3:28pm On Feb 24, 2015
myproperty:

It is purely an English word for the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being

Thanks for the attempt. What is it origin? That's what I asked.
Re: Where Did The Word “GOD” Originate? by macof(m): 6:23pm On Feb 24, 2015
God is an old name for Odin the king of the Scandinavian Gods in certain regions

(1) (Reply)

Why I Am Agnostic -- Robert Green Ingersoll / Why Did God Create Other Gods? / Who Are The Gentiles? Irrefutable Proof Modern-day Christianity Is False

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.