Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) (70222 Views)

Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 – 99) / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 – 99) [see Photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by iyke2ken(m): 8:35am On Jan 15, 2015
Lwkmd... Una van tell stories sha... But that particular guy that wrote the lengthy fiction get me *Rotfl*.. If only it were true.

Ps

Na only me notice the irregularities for the names of the Indian players? They sounded more like they were from Saudi Arabia.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by UnimkeAk(m): 8:44am On Jan 15, 2015
psychologist:
just like bermuda triangle

the match never existed

Bermuda Triangle !
Really? Really ? Really bro??

Back to the topic.
I knew it was a lie as a kid and am sure its the same with everyone that heard it who isn't a dumb as*.
But the story was just sweet(u kno wen sum1 is gisting u lies, bt its so interesting u'll rater listen) and crafty so I told it to other kids as well.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:59am On Jan 15, 2015
Accurate11:
U av invented ur own lies wen we r still trying 2 remove d first lies ur grand parents told, dem sent u?

Lolz...but his story sounds somewhat real...Don't you think so

@Ruffychuks...plz how real or true is this your tale? No offence plz...
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 15, 2015
Op is trying to ruin my childhood. Op these stories are part of our growing up and we'll love to share them with our own kids too. Ever imagine how boring our childhood would be without the stories of Santa Claus, Anini and gang, Nigeria 1 vs 99 India match, how Bruice Lee died from excess muscle, how Adekunle Aka black scorpion changes into a scorpion and infiltrate Biafran camp only to turn into Adekunle and kill all Biafran forces.

These are our childhood stories (call it a myth if you like), they are part of us. So, on behalf of those whom Op tried to ruin their childhood, we condemn the act with strong terms and we refuse to accept your version of the story.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Maximus85(m): 9:19am On Jan 15, 2015
OP. Well done, shey shaaa don reach front page. You don't know the story well. True, the Indians said if we can get a goal we will win the match. So Segun Odegbami was about to score a goal and the ball turned into a big stone but he kicked the stone and got the goal but his leg was destroyed. And that was why he quit football.

I got to know that Segun's retirement was because of a serious injury.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:

yee!!!....its true o......wait wich site did u download it
Bt some are sayn its a fake video mix, who knws? Got it off youtube tru bing.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by 360command: 9:29am On Jan 15, 2015
This story na big fat lie, even ghana get their own version of india vs ghana ,where india pounded them with many goals..... Just like ours.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Etetejake(m): 9:46am On Jan 15, 2015
Hero10001:
"If you wanna hide anything from a Black man, put it in a book"

@OP, Why was India banned from the game?
Just becos it aint real doesn't mean it didn't happen.

black men like u ba?

for me if u WANT to hide anything from a black man of these days don't even show any sign u are hiding something or we will decode.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by donnaira(m): 9:54am On Jan 15, 2015
Nexxy007:
i have always wondered why India has never participated in any football tournament though
India was banned because the wanted to play with bear foot or only socks but FIFA disagreed (in 1960s) due to their poor performance in soccer they didn't care and then decided to concentrate more on cricket and other sports as their national game.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by headboyprince(m): 9:58am On Jan 15, 2015
I got the complete version of the story it is a video Just go to
<<naijacomedyzone.>> to download the video
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by cegxie(m): 10:01am On Jan 15, 2015
I heard of this nigeria vs india match long before sam okwaraji played and died for Nigeria. I also watched the match in which he slumped and died. God rest his soul.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by dreezybines: 10:04am On Jan 15, 2015
BABAAGBALABA:

because fifa didnt allow dem to dance for about 1hr after scoring one goal

Lool.....guy u funny die
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by iaatmguy(m): 10:13am On Jan 15, 2015
psychologist:
just like bermuda triangle

the match never existed
Bermuda triangle exists
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Badosqi(m): 10:28am On Jan 15, 2015
Kennywills7:
This match was played in mars
Where ball change to lions, stones and crocodiles grin

But seriously can someone tell me y India was ban from football till date?
not till date ooo., India is now playing football, they have a league now. But it will be long b4 u will start seeing them in cup competition becos they don't have stars and their team is very weak.
Footballis not that popular in india like nigeria, Cricket is their sport and u can't take it away from them.

ok answer this is nigeria ban from playing cricket? why are we not seeing nigeria on cricket highlight on supersport?

Simple we are not gud in cricket and it is not popular in Nigeria.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by hardeyswaggz: 10:32am On Jan 15, 2015
IT WASNT ACTUALLY SAM OKWARAJI, IT WAS ONE POWERFUL LEFT FOOTED BALOGUN GUY I HEARD. THAT WAS WHEN WE GOT A PENALTY, HIS WIFE SCREAMED ..... USEEE YOURRRR LEFTTTTT LEGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN THE BALL TURNED TO STONE AND HE LOST THE LEG BUT WE WERE GIVEN THE GAME CUZ WE COULD REPLY ONE GOAL.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Adenex3051(m): 10:35am On Jan 15, 2015
The strange thing about this rabble is that it came this far. I never imaged it could survive so many generations. Let me add here that d story had been making the rounds before the advent of Samuel Oparaji into national limelight. I remember I first heard d story in 1982 long before Samuel Oparaji's death.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by 30secs(m): 10:41am On Jan 15, 2015
ssuccess:

"Aja ti o ba ma sonu, koni gbo fere olode!"
The dog that would get lost wouldn't hear its hunter's whistle!...
Even after this somewhat 'eye-opener' you still choose to be obstinate....chai!!!
Simple question: between OP and my grand father, who make I believe? My grand dad was born 1911 btw.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Kennywills7(m): 10:45am On Jan 15, 2015
Badosqi:
not till date ooo., India is now playing football, they have a league now. But it will be long b4 u will start seeing them in cup competition becos they don't have stars and their team is very weak.
Footballis not that popular in india like nigeria, Cricket is their sport and u can't take it away from them.

ok answer this is nigeria ban from playing cricket? why are we not seeing nigeria on cricket highlight on supersport?

Simple we are not gud in cricket and it is not popular in Nigeria.
Thats a gud explaination
Kudos to u
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Hero10001: 10:48am On Jan 15, 2015
Etetejake:

black men like u ba?

for me if u WANT to hide anything from a black man of these days don't even show any sign u are hiding something or we will decode.
Seriously?!
How many top book have you read sir?
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Lilimax(f): 10:58am On Jan 15, 2015
30secs:
Nothing una talk fit convince me. That match happen live! Even my grandpapa confirm am.
grin
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by NDprudent(m): 11:02am On Jan 15, 2015
Ruffychuks:
Many have heard about this match. Some
think it’s an urban legend. Some think it’s
only a joke. But only few know the truth.
A long time ago, few months after the end
of the Nigeria-Biafra war, the Military
Governor of Lagos decided to stage an
exhibition match at the then glorious
National Stadium Lagos. He thought it
would be a special way of celebrating
Nigeria’s victory in the war, a way of
helping Lagosians to forget the sad bloody
years that had just passed. He wanted to
stage the match between Nigeria & Ghana
but was advised against it. His advisers
reminded him how Ghana trashed Nigeria
3-Nil at the 1960 Independence Match,
that another loss to Ghana might defeat
the purpose of the exhibition match. His
advisers suggested that they choose a
team that would be very easy to beat.
Brig Gen Mobolaji Johnson agreed.
Ethiopia was considered. Zimbabwe was
considered. India was considered. USA was
considered. And India was chosen. He &
his advisers believed that India would be a
walkover. But had he known what would
happen he might have chosen Brazil. Yes,
Brazil were the reigning world champions
at the time but… Oh, had he known.
India agreed to play the exhibition match
with Nigeria. In fact, they were overjoyed.
Nigeria was one of the best teams in
Africa. And they had never played with an
African team before. What more! They were
most overjoyed that Nigeria had agreed to
their three special conditions. What were
these conditions?
Well, on that fateful day, a bright Saturday
afternoon on August 15th, 1970, the
National Stadium Lagos was filled with
excited spectators. That was Condition No.
1, that the match be played on India’s
Independence Day. As the players of
Nigeria & India came into the pitch,
spectators screamed with more excitement
as they saw that all the twenty-two
players were barefooted. That was
Condition No. 2. (Remember that India
had withdrawn from the 1950 World Cup
because they weren’t allowed to play
barefooted.)
Priiii… Referee Mohamed Touati blew his
whistle to begin the game. (The Tunisian
referee had been suspended by FIFA earlier
that year but had accepted to officiate this
special match.) Indian forward Amer Al-
Amer made the first pass. And before
anyone could say “Bosnia-Herzegovina”,
one Majed Suleman fired the ball high into
the air towards the Nigerian post. The
gaint of a Nigerian keeper, Emmanuel
Okala, dived to the right while the ball
dropped into the left side of the net.
Gooooaaal!!! 3-0. That was Condition No.
3, that each goal scored by India would be
counted as 3points while each by Nigeria
would be 1 as usual. (Nigeria agreed
because they believed that India could
never score. Or at least couldn’t score
more than one goal.) Emmanuel was
looking confused. He was very sure he had
dived towards the ball. Every other person
thought he’d deliberately let the Indians
score just to spice up the game.
Meanwhile, India’s fan club was going wild
with jubilation.
Priii… The Nigerian forwards Sunday
Atuma & Thompson Usiyen passed. As
Thompson passed to Paul Hamilton, he
was surprised when he saw India’s Faisal
Al-Dakheel with the ball. Faisal quickly
shot the ball into the air towards Nigeria’s
post. Goooal! 6-0. Thompson was so
confused. He could have sworn it was Paul
his teammate he had passed to.
Priii… Sunday Atuma passed into the
Nigerian half. Alloysius Atuegbu passed to
Haruna Ilerika. Haruna made a long pass
into the Indian half to Samuel Okoye. He
was shocked when he saw the ball in the
legs of Abdullah Al-Shemmari. Haruna
wiped his eyes in disbelief. Too late!
Abdullah shot the ball into the air. Goal!
9-0. Three goals in barely six minutes?
Nigerian spectators were wondering what
was happening.
Priii… Goal! 12-0. Yusuf Al-Suwayed.
15-0. Amer Al-Amer. 18-0. Majed
Suleman’s second goal. 21-0. Abdulaziz
Al-Buloushi. 24-0. Majed’s hat-trick.
27-0. Faisal Al-Dakheel’s second goal.
30-0. Waleed Al-Mubarak. At the twentieth
minute, Nigeria’s Paul Hamilton ran with
the ball all the way to India’s box-18. But
as he raised his leg to shoot, he slipped &
fell. India’s defender Mahboub Jumaa
easily took the ball as Paul lay on the
ground moaning like a baby. That was the
nearest Nigeria had gotten to the Indian
post so far.
Twenty-five minutes later & eight goals
more, the score stood at 54-0. Some
spectators angrily left the stadium even
before the half-time whistle. Others waited
patiently, hoping that Nigeria would
revenge in the 2nd half.
“Boys, what the hell is happening out
there?!” Coach Jorge Penna was furious.
“You’re the damn captain, answer me!!” he
was shouting at Emmanuel Okala.
Emmanuel was speechless. He didn’t know
what to say.
“Co-co-coach…” Godwin Achebe began “I
think I know what’s happening sir”
The coach was glaring at him now.
“Those Indians dey use juju. They’re using
ma-magic.”
“Yes! Yes!” his teammates echoed &
nodded & murmured amongst themselves.
“Shut up you fools!! Magic my foot!!! There
is no magic in football!”

Bros, u 4 just buy us groundnut or popcorn...d story 4 make sense pass.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Hero10001: 11:09am On Jan 15, 2015
Nicklaus:
. Then how did it happen when it aint real ? Do you understand it yourself ?
"Just because i can't see it doesnt mean i can't believe it"
Jack Sally.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by StoneColdBiceps(m): 11:41am On Jan 15, 2015
smartfellow2080:
Virtually everybody born before the invention of the internet must have heard the tale of a nonexistent football match between Nigeria and India grin that obviously took place in a parallel universe and somehow we got to hear the gory stories of that match.

Though there are many variations of the story, every prevaricator seems to agree on a couple of facts about this fictional football match. Each storyteller agrees that;

1. This match ended with India scoring 99 goals and Nigeria scoring just one goal.

2. Nigerians where unable to kick the ball because the football kept turning to a lion (or something scary) to prevent them from playing the soccer ball.

3. The Indians later agreed that if Nigeria could score a goal, they would concede defeat

4. Samuel Okwaraji scored the winning goal and lost his life in the process.

5. FIFA banned India from soccer because they used black magic in that very game

With the help of common sense (not that it was absent back then), quick access to information and the internet, every right thinking Nigerian has come to realise that such a story should be filled under “Blatant Lies”.

Why Did This Story Thrive For So Long?

Most people like to pass off this story as true with the fact that no one has ever seen India in an International Football Match. Since no one actually saw India participate in most international soccer games, this gave a little credence to the story.

Another reason this lie could thrive for long was the fact that credible information was not readily available at our finger tips. It not like every Emeka, Audu and Ojo could visit Google in a matter of minutes and tell our ominous fabricators that they should stop spreading toxic lies.

And to be honest we have a tingling feeling that this lie was concocted by an elder of a community because, let’s be honest who questions the words of the elders in Nigeria. Remember, what an adult sees sitting down a child will never see even if he consults Google, Siri or Cortana.

The Element of Truth In This Story

On the 12th of August 1989, Nigeria lost Sam Okwaraji.

Sam Okwaraji was the player rumored to have lost his life in that game when in truth he died during a FIFA World Cup qualifying game against Angola in the 77th minute.

He collapsed and died of cognitive heart failure. May his soul rest in Perfect Peace. AMEN

So that is the only truthful thing about that story, the fact that a Nigerian player died during a football match. That’s it. The match was not against India, we did not lose the match and as you must have guessed, and there were no lions either.

Nairlanders, what do you think?

Op its not okwaraji dat scored d goal. It was thunder balogun! Having known dat india is using juju, he was with the ball playing and on reaching close to the post he saw lions as goal keeper and he ran and left the ball...this happened again and dis time on reaching the post with the ball, he unlace his booth and shoot the ball to score, his booth came off and the indian keeper was confused and caught his flying booth while the ball entered the net! Thats how nigeria scored 1 goal in the match...hehehehehehe very funneh.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by akunjohn(m): 11:41am On Jan 15, 2015
Ruffychuks:
these conditions?
barefooted.)
with jubilation.
was happening.
post so far.
revenge in the 2nd half.
what to say.
ma-magic.”

Oga,abeg tell me more,I'm drooling.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by RealYaks: 11:49am On Jan 15, 2015
History of the India
national football team
The history of the India national football team
dates back to the 1930s. They have never won
the World Cup, but qualified for one in 1950 ,
although they withdrew. They have had zero
entries in the tournament from 1950 onwards.
India have never won the final of the Asian
Championship but made the Final in the 1964
AFC Asian Cup . They have only made three
appearances since.
1930–1970
Indian teams started touring Australia, Japan,
Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand in the late
1930s. Soon after the success of several
Indian football clubs, the All India Football
Federation (AIFF) was formed in 1937. The
1948 London Olympics was India's first major
international tournament, where a
predominately barefooted Indian team lost 2–1
to France , failing to convert two penalties. The
Indian team was greeted and appreciated by
the crowd for their sporting manner. [1]
India qualified by default for the 1950 FIFA
World Cup finals as a result of the withdrawal
of all of their scheduled opponents. But the
governing body AIFF decided against going to
the World Cup, being unable to understand the
importance of the event at that time. Reasons
shown by the AIFF included the cost of travel
(despite the fact that FIFA agreed to bear a
major part of the travel expenses) [2] lack of
practice time, team selection issues and
valuing the Olympics over the FIFA World Cup.
[3]
Although FIFA imposed a rule banning barefoot
play following the 1948 Olympics[4][5] where
India had played barefoot, the popular belief
that the Indian team refused to play because
they were not allowed to play barefoot is not
entirely true, according to the then Indian
captain Shailen Manna , it was just a story to
cover up the disastrous decision of the AIFF.[2]
The team has never since come close to
qualifying for the World Cup. [6]
The period from 1951 to 1962 is considered
the golden era in Indian football. Under the
tutelage of legendary Syed Abdul Rahim[7]
India became the best team in Asia. The
Indian team started the 1950s with their
triumph in the 1951 Asian Games which they
hosted. India beat both Indonesia and
Afghanistan 3–0 to reach the final where they
beat Iran 1–0. [8][9] In 1952, India continued
their form by winning the Colombo
Quadrangular Cup held in Sri Lanka .[10]
Later that year they went on to participate in
the 1952 Olympics, but lost 10–1 to
Yugoslavia . As four years earlier, many of the
team played without boots. [11] After the result
AIFF immediately made it mandatory to wear
boots. [1]
India also won three further editions of the
Quadrangular Cup Colombo Cup, which were
held in Burma , Calcutta and Dhaka in 1953,
1954 and 1955 respectively. [12] India then
went on to finish second in the 1954 Asian
Games held in Manila .[13]
At the 1956 Olympic Games they finished
fourth, which is regarded as one of finest
achievements in Indian football. India first met
hosts Australia , winning 4–2 with Neville
D'Souza becoming the first Asian to score a
hatrick in the Olympics and also making India
the first Asian team to reach the Olympic
semi-finals. They lost 4–1 to Yugoslavia , and
lost the third place play-off match 3–0 to
Bulgaria .[14]
India later participated in the 1958 Asian
Games in Tokyo where they finished fourth, [15]
and the Merdeka Cup 1959 in Malaysia
finishing second. [16]
India started off 1960 with Asian Cup qualifiers
in which they failed to qualify.[17] India went
on to win the 1962 Asian Games where they
beat South Korea 2–1 in the final, [18] and two
years later finished second in the Asian Cup
which was held in round-robin format. [19]
India played in the Merdeka Cup in 1964, 1965
and 1966 where they finished 2nd, 3rd and 3rd
respectively. [12]
India later played in the Asian Games in 1966
in Bangkok but were eliminated in first round.
[20] India took third place in the 1970 Asian
Games , beating Japan 1–0 in the third place,
play-off [21] but have failed to qualify for other
major tournaments, other than as host, only
once since that time.
1971–2000
Failure in a series of qualification tournaments
meant that the next time India reach a
quarter-final stage was as host in the 1982
Asian Games .[22]
Indian Team during Asian Cup
2007 Qualifiers
In 1984 India qualified for the Asian Cup again,
[23] but failed to make any impact. [24] India
won gold medals in the SAF Games of both
1984 (in Dhaka) and 1987 ( Calcutta ). They
won the inaugural SAARC Cup in 1993 in
Lahore , and finished runner-up in Colombo two
years later. By 1997 the competition had been
renamed as the SAFF Cup, and India won it in
both 1997 and 1999 edition, when they hosted
it in Goa.[12]
2000–2010
Although India failed to qualify for the 2004
Asian Cup, the senior team shone in a silver
medal-winning performance in the inaugural
Afro Asian Games, with victories over Rwanda
and Zimbabwe (then 85 places ahead of India
in the world rankings) along the way, losing
the final by just 1–0 to Uzbekistan .[25]
As a result, Indian football has steadily earned
greater recognition and respect, both within the
country and abroad. In November 2003,
Stephen was named AFC Manager of the
Month. [25]
India could not do much not when they lost to
Pakistan and Bangladesh in the 2003 SAFF
Cup and defeats in the 2006 World Cup
qualifiers meant Stephen Constantine was
sacked. [25] The LG Cup win in Vietnam under
Stephen Constantine was one of the few bright
spots in the early part of the 2000s. It was
India's first victory in a football tournament
outside the subcontinent after 1974. India
defeated hosts Vietnam 3–2 in the final despite
trailing 2–0 after 30 minutes. [26]
In 2005 Syed Nayeemuddin was appointed as
India coach but he was sacked the following
year after heavy defeats in 2007 AFC Asian
Cup qualifiers. Bob Houghton was later
appointed coach of team in 2006.
2007 ONGC Nehru Cup India vs
Syria
His appointment saw a general progress in
India’s performances crowned by victory in
2007 Nehru Cup in August 2007. Houghton led
India to the 2008 AFC Challenge Cup title as
they beat Tajikistan 4–1 in August 2008.
Winning the AFC challenge cup eventually
qualified them for the AFC Asian Cup for the
first time since 1984. He also oversaw the
Indian team to its second consecutive Nehru
Cup trophy by winning 2009 Nehru Cup .[27]
AFC Asian Cup
In 2011, India started off their campaign by
participating in 2011 AFC Asian Cup for which
they qualified after 24 years. They were placed
in strong Group C along with South Korea,
Australia and Bahrain. [28] India lost all three
matches but did manage to perform well in
patches. Goalkeeper Subrata Pal won a lot of
accolades for his performances. [29]

Source

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_India_national_football_team
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Baddestguyp(m): 11:50am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:
am still planin on destroyin it $10million worth......so i cant am sori
I saw the video years ago but it was discovered by onion news and they are famous for lies
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by hilariousOjo: 11:52am On Jan 15, 2015
mumu
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Michky: 11:58am On Jan 15, 2015
Ruffychuks:
these conditions?
barefooted.)
with jubilation.
was happening.
post so far.
revenge in the 2nd half.
what to say.
ma-magic.”
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by docadams: 12:02pm On Jan 15, 2015
Back in yores, childhood fun was sustained by tales. The more the magic in it the sweeter it was.

I can never forget Azikiwe and the mummy water of Niger bridge in Onitsha.
It was said that at a stage during the construction of the bridge, a major problem arose with several casaulties and a stoppage of the project. In order not to be embarrased by the project not being completed, Azikiwe decided to find out the cause. He was told by the gods that a water spirit was responsible and not until it is captured work cannot progress. As the foremost leader of the Ibos, he took up the gauntlet and dived into river Niger with a corked bottle. At the bottom,luckily, he met a female mummy water. The river goddess spared his life because of his handsomeness. They became friends and started to play. Out of curiosity, the goddess asked him the essence of the bottle. He told her that it is for play as he can enter the bottle and come out succesfully. Mummy water said 'for where, you, an ordinary human. OK, try am na'. He enter and came out well. The goddess said 'Oh, you think I cannot do that?' He told her to try na. Fiam, in went the goddess. As a Niger sharp man brought up in Zugeru, he 'sharperly' corked the bottle and ascended to the surface with the goddess. The bridge was thereafter completed in record time.
For his gallantry, he was awarded the title ' Owelle of Onitsha'.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by zanogo(m): 12:05pm On Jan 15, 2015
...wen d world record for goals scored in an international match was won by australia 31 - 0 against american samoa...i cant even imagine a refree blowing and pointing to d centre line 100 times in 90 mins. although i believed d story dat tym bt its being long i realised its all false. indian do play football but its is not their no 1 sport. they were even thrashed 5- 0 by zambia nt too long ago in a friendly.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Mubashinho: 12:22pm On Jan 15, 2015
India was barred from playing because dey wanted to play with bare foot, dey said dey r not going to use soccer boot
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Steph7u: 12:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
Nice research though the story had existed before Okwraji ever played for Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua Loses to Andy Ruiz Jr. Knocked Out In The 7th Round (Pics) / How To Predict And Win Virtual Football League (vfl) / U-17 Eaglets To Receive 20k Each (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.