Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Kalabari People! - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (115405 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 07, 2013
ijaw citizen:

MR ABAGWORO
I THINK YOUR MAJOR PROBLEM IS THAT YOU LACK THE MOST PRELIMINARY KNOWLEDGE AND COMPREHENSION OF THE DYNAMICS OF PEOPLES & CULTURES ALONG THE BOUNDARIES OF DIFFERENT ETHNIC GROUPS.

BEFORE YOUR DESCRIBE IJAW MAINLAND AS "MIXED WITH IGBOS" PLS DO SOME "REAL", NOT "VERBAL" INVESTIGATION OF NDOKI, NDONI, UKWANNI(NDOKWA), EGBEMA(IMO & RIVERS) AND EVEN OTHER IGBO GROUPS IN RIVERS STATE THAT HAVE ADOPTED ASPECTS OF IJAW CULTURE LIKE MODE OF DRESSING & MASQUERADES.

FYI -IJAWLAND DO NOT HAVE A "DIRECT" BOUNDARY WITH IGBOS. OUR NEIGHBOURS IN AKWA IBOM @ANDONNI(OBOLO) TERRITORY ARE THE EFIK & IBIBIOS. @BONNY/OPOBO -IBIBIO & OGONI GROUPS
@OKRIKA KINGDOM -IKWERRE & OGONI
@KALABARI -IKWERRE, NDONI,EGBEMA, AHOADA
@ABUA/ODUA -IKWERRE, NDONI, EGBEMA, AHOADA
@OGBIA & ENGENNI -AHOADA & EKPEYE
@NORTHERN BAYELSA -AHOADA, NDOKWA(UKWANNI) & NDONI
@PATANI -NDOKWA, ISOKO & URHOBO
@BOMADI -URHOBO
@BURUTU -URHOBO
@WARRI -URHOBO & ITSEKIRI
@EDO IJAWS -BINIS & Itsekiri
@ONDO IJAWS -ILAJE & IKALES (YORUBA)

ALL OF THESE GROUPS YOU CLAIM AS IGBOS ABOVE, THEY CLAIMED EITHER NOT HAVE ANY ANCESTRY FROM IGBO, MIGRATED FROM ELSEWHERE OR ARE HIGHLY MIXED WITH IJAWS AND IGBOS.

ANYTHING BEYOND THOSE LINE IS AS GOOD AS FULLY INTEGRATED INTO EITHER IJAW OR IGBO. UNLESS YOU WANT TO INSIST THAT THERE WERE NO MIGRATION FROM IJAW INTO IGBO MAINLAND.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

VERY CORRECT.. The thing is Igbo people continue to claim Ikwere while the IKWERES have always denied being Igbos. People mistakenly use the language of a people to refer to where the people are from. Would any one say JAMAICANS ARE from ENGLAND just cos JAMAICAN PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH ?
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 07, 2013
ijaw citizen: Mr Abagworo, kalabari, okrika, ibani and other ijoid groups
are not independent tribes on their own. The only reason
why they still cling to their clannish identities is because of
bloody wars they have fought in the past. They all know
themselves as being of the same Ijaw stock and different
from all others (Igbo, Efik, Urhobos etc). As such, despite
the difference their dialects, they are still mutually
intelligible (some to some extent).

Very correct and there is absolutely no difference in their dialects. What we see as difference were caused by the non natives the people adopted. The words of their dialect became wrongly pronounced mostly in KALABARI while in Bonny the people rather adopted the dialect of the non natives and so the IBANI as spoken by a few is the purer form of the eastern Ijaw dialect.
Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 1:45am On Feb 08, 2013
killayut:

VERY CORRECT.. The thing is Igbo people continue to claim Ikwere while the IKWERES have always denied being Igbos. People mistakenly use the language of a people to refer to where the people are from. Would any one say JAMAICANS ARE from ENGLAND just cos JAMAICAN PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH ?

Abua is not ijaw and have never been,infact early colonial study of their language,showed that their language is a proto ibibio language,abua is believed to have split off from ibibio some thousand years ago.

So,mr ijaw man,stop claiming people that don't claim you.

How can ijaw have boundary with igboland? There is no particular land called igboland,what we have is tribal lands in that form igboland. Ijaw clans can only have boundary with igbo clans like egbema and ndoni,and not with whole of igboland. *laughs*
Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 1:48am On Feb 08, 2013
And by the way,kalabari,okirika and ibani are not ijaws,they are ijoid groups. There are no ijaws in rivers state,if in doubt,go visit official rivers state website, what we have in rivers state are ijoid groups,the ijaws are only found in bayelsa state.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 6:37am On Feb 08, 2013
pazienza:

Abua is not ijaw and have never been,infact early colonial study of their language,showed that their language is a proto ibibio language,abua is believed to have split off from ibibio some thousand years ago.

So,mr ijaw man,stop claiming people that don't claim you.

How can ijaw have boundary with igboland? There is no particular land called igboland,what we have is tribal lands in that form igboland. Ijaw clans can only have boundary with igbo clans like egbema and ndoni,and not with whole of igboland. *laughs*

We naturally do not even consider Abua as Ijaw but I have to go by what the people claim. They claim to be proto Ijaw. So go and argue with them and not me. The majority of the people at the Abua fringe are even the Odual. The Odual are Obulom people speaking Obulom language and Obulom is a proto Engenni dialect which make them Epie Attisa Ijaws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odual_language
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 08, 2013
pazienza: And by the way,kalabari,okirika and ibani are not ijaws,they are ijoid groups. There are no ijaws in rivers state,if in doubt,go visit official rivers state website, what we have in rivers state are ijoid groups,the ijaws are only found in bayelsa state.

You Idiots don't learn. I think it's just time to start ignoring your ignorant asses. I am KALABARI and I am Ijaw by tribe. My KALABARI dialect is an Ijaw Language. We say Bo aas come which is pure Ijaw. We say Tebara as how are you which is pure Ijaw. KALABARI/OKRIKA and IBANI are the same people and their language is Ijaw. Go and suck your mother's pum.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 08, 2013
Abagworo:

I'm not the one to say who they are but when Killayut entered this thread to deviate it, he was cautioned by a reputable Kalabari man not to call Kalabari, Ijaw. He committed a lot of fallacies that he was corrected by Kalabarians. I'm not interested in that any way because we all have our issues. Where I had problem with your claims is when you differentiate various Igbo groups and amalgamate different Ijaw groups(Kalabari, Okrika and Bonny) as well as non-Ijaw groups like Degema, Abua, Engenni and Andonni to claim majority in Rivers State. You and I know that Ikwerre is majority in Rivers State today. I only corrected those wrong notions and nothing more.

Punk.. The word KALABARI itself is an Ijaw word and the full name is PERE BO KALABARI. It is not Igbo but a PURE ijaw word.
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 5:37pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hey Killayut,

You said, and I quote:

LOL.. This is superstition . Back in the days what moved people in those KALABARI shrine was the booze ( kai kai ) and the song ( gyration ). It was that intoxication and possession which in KALABARI they call DJOODJOO ( JOOJOO ) that came to be JUJU. To conjure Juju is to make a person be in that state of trance. Now when is in that state , Kalabari PEOPLE SIMPLY SAY O joojoo te which means he is confused, in trance or possessed . INE was not the name of that spirit. In KALABARI INE is used to call a respectable woman and it is derived from IGBO. Many KALABARI water deity are feminine and so INE is used to call them . The spirit of deity has a proper name anyways. I know in IYALLA compound they have the AKU and the AKU shrine is by the water bank near the Churh in Iyalla compound. There are how ever lots of other shrine and another one is right behind the POLO square by the right when going towards the River bank.. Go and see a doctor if you are hearing any kind of voice or sound. It means your ear drum needs to be corrected. And as per all those banging stuffs, they are imagination. I hope you are not single and boozing a lot.

You know what? The problem that I'm facing right now, as regards the restless spirits in my house, is NOT to be sniggered at or dismissed off-hand as anything but. It is not about superstition either - nothing to do with that because it is what it is - happening, in actuality. Yes, there are spirits in my house and I need to get rid of them fast.

As regards your saying that I might have problems with my ear drums - hey c'mon!! Are you kidding or taking the piss or what? Why would I ever say I've got a problem with spirits in my house, if I haven't? Why? Yes, there are spirits in my house that's why I'm here asking you lot to tell me how to kick them out of the house. I posted about them four or so years ago, in the Religion (Muslim) section of Nairaland. Maybe you can check it out and then come back here to tell me that there are no spirits in my house.

Killayut, I really don't mean to be unfriendly or nasty to you in any way, shape or form. Having said that, you seem to think that you know it all, don't you? Mr Know It All, are we now? How on earth could you tell me things about my own town, Bakana? How? Let alone, my own compound - Iyalla's compound? How? Yeah, my own compound!! That's a bloody joke, innit? Ey? Innit? You, trying to tell me things about my own town or compound. Don't make me laugh man, cha... Telling me about my own compound, as if I've never lived there before or that I wasn't born in Bakana.

You go into all sorts of history about this and that, including the name Ine. Do you know there was (or still is) a prayer House in Bakana called BAKANA TEKE WARI. Do you? Do you know that the lady that used to run it was called Ine? Do you? Do you know her grandson is called Teke? Do you? I bet you don't. The least that you could do, when you don't know something, is to learn to keep quiet. Many a time, it is far better to keep quiet, instead of exposing the one's ignorance.

You talk about kai kai (native gin) 'an all - do you know how it is distilled? Do you? I bet you don't, haha...

There are no shrines in Iyalla's compound, I can assure you. I originate from Iyalla's compound and so, should know everything about my own compound, even though I don't live at home.

Now, would you please do me a favour - can I ask you (or anybody that's living in Bakana or Port Harcourt) to please go to Bakana Prayer House and see if you could possibly get me a contact number for them, so I could ring them up and find out which spirits have been coming to my house, what they want from me and what to do, inorder to get rid of them. Surely, that's the least you could do for me, is it not? Wasn't it you who said you are related to the Berepikis? Aren't you my Auntie Ilo's son and a brother to Alun anymore? Well, I am both a Berepiki and an Iyalla true and true, so there.

Oh yeah, you must stop fighting with Abagworo. He is an Ikwerre and most definitely one of us. Yeah, one of us. The Ikwerre's have a long history with the Kalabaris by being our friendly neighbours, through cultural ties and trading - Iwofe market, to name but only one. Most of all, they, the Ikwerre's saved a lot of the people of Bakana, when the town was evacuated by the Biafrans during the Nigerian Civil War, at the time our people got dumped at Abonnema Wharf, with nowhere to go. Who took them in? I mean who gave shelter to many of them? The Ikwerres - yes, you heard it - the Ikwerres did. Big up to the Ikwerres and thank you for the kindness shown to the people of Bakana in times of their need - Ikwerre emeka o! Eee.... Very much appreciated and never to be forgotten, no matter where we are in this world.

Killayut, I'd go up the wall if you ever tell me anything different, 'cos I was there. Okay? Yes, I bloody was there. I have the feeling that you'll dispute it, so, I'm pre-empting your reaction, knowing how you respond to other people's views. Remember, this is not a view I'm expressing here - rather, giving factual information so that you'll lay off Abagworo.

Now, please go on my mission to Bakana Prayer House and get some tangible info for me. Scram! Thank you.

kiwi992.

2 Likes

Re: Kalabari People! by AndreUweh(m): 11:58pm On Feb 08, 2013
Kiwi, nice to have you back.
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 3:59pm On Feb 09, 2013
Hi Andre,

Thanks. Good to see you too.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 11:53pm On Feb 10, 2013
pazienza: And by the way,kalabari,okirika and ibani are not ijaws,they are ijoid groups. There are no ijaws in rivers state,if in doubt,go visit official rivers state website, what we have in rivers state are ijoid groups,the ijaws are only found in bayelsa state.
LET ME DEFINE SOME TERMS CLEARLY TO ENABLE SOME COCONUT HEADS TO ASSIMILATED SOME KNOWLEDGE THAT WILL BENEFIT THEM FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES
1. THE DEFINITION OF "IGBOID GROUPS" IS NOT THE SAME AS THE DEFINITION OF "IJOID GROUPS".

2. WHILE MOST IGBOID GROUPS DON'T TRACE THEIR ANCESTRY TO IGBO LAND, ALL IJOID GROUPS STILL DO. THATS THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BTW IGBOID AND IJOID GROUPS.

3.WHILE MOST IGBOID GROUPS ARE ONLY ATTACHED TO IGBOS BY THE LANGUAGE THEY SPEAK-VOID OF ANCESTRIAL AND CULTURAL CONNECTIONS, ALL IJOID GROUPS ARE ONLY DETACHED FROM MAINSTREAM IJAWS BY THEIR LANGUAGE- ANCESTRY AND CULTURE IS STILL THE SAME AS MAINSTREAM IJAWS.

4. AS SUCH, KALABARI, OKRIKA & IBANI ARE MAINSTREAM IJAW DIALECTS AND NOT IJOID DIALECTS.

5. THE IJOID DIALECTS AS DESCRIBED IN (3) ABOVE ARE ANDONNI, IBENO, ABUA-ODUAL, EPIE ATTISSA, OGBIA, APOI (ONDO), ETC

6. THERE ARE NO "IJOID PEOPLE" IN IJAWLAND, ONLY IJOID LANGUAGES & THE SPEAKERS OF THESE IJOID LANGUAGES ARE STILL MAINSTREAM IJAWS UNLIKE THE CASE WITH YOUR "IGBOID PEOPLE"....EVEN THE URHOBOS OF EWU & UVWIE CLANS ARE IJOID PEOPLE, YET WE IJAWS DONT CLAIM THEM.

7. THE ONLY IJOID PEOPLE I KNOW OF HAVE EITHER BEEN CLAIMED BY IGBO (NDOKI) OR ARE PROTESTING AGAINST IGBO ENCROACHMENT (UKWANNI, NDOKWA, EKPEYE, NDONI, OGBA ALL HAVE ELEMENTS OF IJAW ANCESTRY.

EGBEMA CLAN WHICH EXTENDS TO IMO STATE STILL CLING TO THEIR "ORU" IJAW ANCESTRY, EVEN IKWERRE AND INDEED ALL RIVERS PEOPLE NOW DRESS LIKE IJAWS, SOME HAVE COPIED IJAW DANCE STEPS AND MASQUERADES JUST TO MENTION A FEW

8. ALL IJOID PEOPLE HAVE NEVER AT ANY TIME CONTESTED THEIR IJAWNESS,THEY PROUDLY PARADE THEMSELVES AS IJAW PEOPLE AND MEMBERS OF IJAW SUPREME BODIES (I.N.C & I.Y.C) UNLIKE YOUR IGBOID PEOPLE. HOW MANY OF THESE IGBOID PEOPLE ARE MEMBERS OF OHANEZE NDI'IGBO?

SO IGBOID PEOPLE IS NOT AT THE SAME LEVEL WITH IJOID PEOPLE...TO WHOM BRAIN IS GIVEN, SENSE IS EXPECTED!!! SHALOM
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
kiwi992: Hey Killayut,

You said, and I quote:

You know what? The problem that I'm facing right now, as regards the restless spirits in my house, is NOT to be sniggered at or dismissed off-hand as anything but. It is not about superstition either - nothing to do with that because it is what it is - happening, in actuality. Yes, there are spirits in my house and I need to get rid of them fast.

As regards your saying that I might have problems with my ear drums - hey c'mon!! Are you kidding or taking the piss or what? Why would I ever say I've got a problem with spirits in my house, if I haven't? Why? Yes, there are spirits in my house that's why I'm here asking you lot to tell me how to kick them out of the house. I posted about them four or so years ago, in the Religion (Muslim) section of Nairaland. Maybe you can check it out and then come back here to tell me that there are no spirits in my house.

Killayut, I really don't mean to be unfriendly or nasty to you in any way, shape or form. Having said that, you seem to think that you know it all, don't you? Mr Know It All, are we now? How on earth could you tell me things about my own town, Bakana? How? Let alone, my own compound - Iyalla's compound? How? Yeah, my own compound!! That's a bloody joke, innit? Ey? Innit? You, trying to tell me things about my own town or compound. Don't make me laugh man, cha... Telling me about my own compound, as if I've never lived there before or that I wasn't born in Bakana.

You go into all sorts of history about this and that, including the name Ine. Do you know there was (or still is) a prayer House in Bakana called BAKANA TEKE WARI. Do you? Do you know that the lady that used to run it was called Ine? Do you? Do you know her grandson is called Teke? Do you? I bet you don't. The least that you could do, when you don't know something, is to learn to keep quiet. Many a time, it is far better to keep quiet, instead of exposing the one's ignorance.

You talk about kai kai (native gin) 'an all - do you know how it is distilled? Do you? I bet you don't, haha...

There are no shrines in Iyalla's compound, I can assure you. I originate from Iyalla's compound and so, should know everything about my own compound, even though I don't live at home.

Now, would you please do me a favour - can I ask you (or anybody that's living in Bakana or Port Harcourt) to please go to Bakana Prayer House and see if you could possibly get me a contact number for them, so I could ring them up and find out which spirits have been coming to my house, what they want from me and what to do, inorder to get rid of them. Surely, that's the least you could do for me, is it not? Wasn't it you who said you are related to the Berepikis? Aren't you my Auntie Ilo's son and a brother to Alun anymore? Well, I am both a Berepiki and an Iyalla true and true, so there.

Oh yeah, you must stop fighting with Abagworo. He is an Ikwerre and most definitely one of us. Yeah, one of us. The Ikwerre's have a long history with the Kalabaris by being our friendly neighbours, through cultural ties and trading - Iwofe market, to name but only one. Most of all, they, the Ikwerre's saved a lot of the people of Bakana, when the town was evacuated by the Biafrans during the Nigerian Civil War, at the time our people got dumped at Abonnema Wharf, with nowhere to go. Who took them in? I mean who gave shelter to many of them? The Ikwerres - yes, you heard it - the Ikwerres did. Big up to the Ikwerres and thank you for the kindness shown to the people of Bakana in times of their need - Ikwerre emeka o! Eee.... Very much appreciated and never to be forgotten, no matter where we are in this world.

Killayut, I'd go up the wall if you ever tell me anything different, 'cos I was there. Okay? Yes, I bloody was there. I have the feeling that you'll dispute it, so, I'm pre-empting your reaction, knowing how you respond to other people's views. Remember, this is not a view I'm expressing here - rather, giving factual information so that you'll lay off Abagworo.

Now, please go on my mission to Bakana Prayer House and get some tangible info for me. Scram! Thank you.

kiwi992.

My Brother Kiwi, You have forgotten I am your cousin. My Mom is an ABITE BEREPIKI . And aunty Ilo is my aunt. Alun is my cousin and his sister Igboba is my cousin too. My mom's brother was later Lowell Berepiki, late Filmore Berepiki.. and Lolo Berepiki is my mom's cousin. his dad Late C.I berepiki who I think is your dad is my mom's uncle .. NOW, Can you even tell us the meaning of BAKANA ? And tell us if it is an Igbo word or Ijaw word ? INE or NNE is an IGBO word borrowed by the Eastern Ijaws and used to call elderly women instead of mentioning their names. It is a respect. So a female deity would be called NNE although the deity has a proper name. The NNE Teke wari You talked about was assocaited with the same TEKE WARI of KALA Degema. You do not know abything about Kalabari. Now look.. KALABARI was a little town and the Ijaws of that little town came from Obu Amafa WHO WERE THE ANCESTORS of PERE BO KALABARI whose father was MEIN OWEI.. Do all the names mentioned sound like Ijaw names ? YES and they are Ijaw names. But at that time ,Towns like KE, MINAMA, ABISSE, IFOKI, ANGULAMA, SOKU, KULA, IDAMA, OPOROAMA, SAMA, SANGAMA, KRAKRAMA, BILLE and so on were existing side by side.. The making of a AMAKIRI a king in KALABARI town which we call Elem Ama led to some sort of imperialism where Elem Ama people took control of the affairs and leadership of all the other towns mentioned. While that was happening, In Okoloma, Chief Perekule was doing the same thing. As he became King of Okoloma, he annexed Finima and other neighboring Ijaw towns to be under his control. Now Amakiri and Perekule fought wars to control as many clans as possible resulting in the Bonny kingdom and KALABARI kingdom. King Amakiri called his domain KALABARI kingdom while Perekule simply used IBANI kingdom. This was how the names KALABARI and Ibani people came about. The towns and people have always been Ijaw people. The Igbos in and among them were freed slaves. AMAKIRI AND PEREKULE were the biggest slave merchants of the NIGER DELTA and they owned more slaves than any other king of the Niger delta. The freed slaves became part of the society and influenced the dialect. While in Bonny kingdom , the leadership barred the natives from using THE DIALECT to interact with the non natives and so with time every one started speaking Igbo instead of ibani Ijaw. This was because the leadership thought that way IBANI secrete would not be leaked to the non natives and their war tactics revealed to their rivals. But In KALABARI kingdom it was the other way round. The Non natives being Igbos were fully assimilated and forced to learn Kalabari Ijaw.. Now kalabari and IBANI were similar and the same dialect but having different names due to the created Kingdoms by the two war lords PEREKULE AND AMAKIRI. In KALABARI any Igbo man or non native who could not imbibe the IJAW CULTURE AND SPEAK THE LANGUAGE was picked up and killed. These forced the non natives to speak the dialect leading to distortion and adulteration of the dialect.. This is a little piece to educate all those NON IJAWS who are still confused about the IJAWS OR RIVERS STATE. OKRIKA had similar problem,,

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 7:59am On Feb 13, 2013
ijaw citizen: LET ME DEFINE SOME TERMS CLEARLY TO ENABLE SOME COCONUT HEADS TO ASSIMILATED SOME KNOWLEDGE THAT WILL BENEFIT THEM FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES
1. THE DEFINITION OF "IGBOID GROUPS" IS NOT THE SAME AS THE DEFINITION OF "IJOID GROUPS".

2. WHILE MOST IGBOID GROUPS DON'T TRACE THEIR ANCESTRY TO IGBO LAND, ALL IJOID GROUPS STILL DO. THATS THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BTW IGBOID AND IJOID GROUPS.

3.WHILE MOST IGBOID GROUPS ARE ONLY ATTACHED TO IGBOS BY THE LANGUAGE THEY SPEAK-VOID OF ANCESTRIAL AND CULTURAL CONNECTIONS, ALL IJOID GROUPS ARE ONLY DETACHED FROM MAINSTREAM IJAWS BY THEIR LANGUAGE- ANCESTRY AND CULTURE IS STILL THE SAME AS MAINSTREAM IJAWS.

4. AS SUCH, KALABARI, OKRIKA & IBANI ARE MAINSTREAM IJAW DIALECTS AND NOT IJOID DIALECTS.

5. THE IJOID DIALECTS AS DESCRIBED IN (3) ABOVE ARE ANDONNI, IBENO, ABUA-ODUAL, EPIE ATTISSA, OGBIA, APOI (ONDO), ETC

6. THERE ARE NO "IJOID PEOPLE" IN IJAWLAND, ONLY IJOID LANGUAGES & THE SPEAKERS OF THESE IJOID LANGUAGES ARE STILL MAINSTREAM IJAWS UNLIKE THE CASE WITH YOUR "IGBOID PEOPLE"....EVEN THE URHOBOS OF EWU & UVWIE CLANS ARE IJOID PEOPLE, YET WE IJAWS DONT CLAIM THEM.

7. THE ONLY IJOID PEOPLE I KNOW OF HAVE EITHER BEEN CLAIMED BY IGBO (NDOKI) OR ARE PROTESTING AGAINST IGBO ENCROACHMENT (UKWANNI, NDOKWA, EKPEYE, NDONI, OGBA ALL HAVE ELEMENTS OF IJAW ANCESTRY.

EGBEMA CLAN WHICH EXTENDS TO IMO STATE STILL CLING TO THEIR "ORU" IJAW ANCESTRY, EVEN IKWERRE AND INDEED ALL RIVERS PEOPLE NOW DRESS LIKE IJAWS, SOME HAVE COPIED IJAW DANCE STEPS AND MASQUERADES JUST TO MENTION A FEW

8. ALL IJOID PEOPLE HAVE NEVER AT ANY TIME CONTESTED THEIR IJAWNESS,THEY PROUDLY PARADE THEMSELVES AS IJAW PEOPLE AND MEMBERS OF IJAW SUPREME BODIES (I.N.C & I.Y.C) UNLIKE YOUR IGBOID PEOPLE. HOW MANY OF THESE IGBOID PEOPLE ARE MEMBERS OF OHANEZE NDI'IGBO?

SO IGBOID PEOPLE IS NOT AT THE SAME LEVEL WITH IJOID PEOPLE...TO WHOM BRAIN IS GIVEN, SENSE IS EXPECTED!!! SHALOM

Haha! See madness abi nah ignorance. I almost fell off my chair reading this post.

2 Likes

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 13, 2013
killayut:

You Idiots don't learn. I think it's just time to start ignoring your ignorant asses. I am KALABARI and I am Ijaw by tribe. My KALABARI dialect is an Ijaw Language. We say Bo aas come which is pure Ijaw. We say Tebara as how are you which is pure Ijaw. KALABARI/OKRIKA and IBANI are the same people and their language is Ijaw. Go and suck your mother's pum.

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/carticles/communique_of_the_ijaw_youth_cou.htm

COMMUNIQUÉ OF THE SIXTEENTH SESSION OF THE MOBILE PARLIAMENT OF THE IJAW
YOUTHS COUNCIL (IYC) HELD IN BUGUMA, KALABARI CLAN OF THE IJAW NATION IN
NIGERIA BETWEEN THE 19TH AND 20TH OF AUGUST 2000.

INTRODUCTION

The sixteenth session of the Mobile Parliament of the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) was held in Buguma, capital town of the Asaritoru Local
Government Area of Rivers State, Nigeria. The session was hosted by the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) Kalabari se Kpangi (Kalabari Clan). The
session elected Hon. Oronto Douglas Esq as Speaker, Hon. Patterson Ogon, Clerk of Parliament and Welman Warri as Sgt-At-Arms.

The session began on Saturday the 19/8/2000 at 10:30pm and came to a close on Sunday 20/8/2000 at 6:36 am. Parliament thanked
representatives from human and environmental rights organisations for coming to observe the proceedings of parliament. In particular the
parliament noted representatives from groups such as the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO), the Environmental Rights
Actions/Friends of the Earth, Nigeria (ERA/FOEN), the Niger Delta Human and Environmental Rescue Organisation (ND-HERO), the Ijaw
Council for Human Rights (ICHR); Public Interest Lawyers League (PILL), Women in Nigeria (WIN) and the Niger Delta Women for Justice
(NDWJ). Parliament urged the groups to always send representatives to observe the proceedings of the IYC parliament.

After exhaustive deliberations on a number of issues of National (Ijaw), State (Nigeria) and International (oil and the visit of the
US President) importance, Parliament noted and affirmed as follows:

CLEAN AIR FOR PRESIDENT CLINTON

The American number one citizen and those in his entourage must not be subjected to the kind of fouled air that we breathe in the Niger
Delta and Nigeria as a whole. The Niger Delta is heavily polluted by a variety of chemicals especially those from hydrocarbon and its
allied industries. Although, the majority of corporations that have brought about the pollution of our air are from America, we are
committed to the health and safety of this very important August visitor to Nigeria. Gas Flaring, and certain chemicals used in the
oil and gas industry have made humankind and the animal kingdom air unsafe especially for those who live in the area where the activities
are most intense. The safety of President Bill Clinton is of utmost importance to us especially when that safety will help to protect the
entire biosphere where we the Ijaws and our neighbours in the Niger Delta and Nigeria live. To ensure that Mr. President is protected
from the direct harm of oil and gas related inconveniences, the IYC REQUEST that all the oil companies operating in the Ijaw area of the
Niger Delta SHUT DOWN all their OIL AND GAS PRODUCTION activities from the 25TH---27TH OF AUGUST 2000. This is the second time Ijaw
Youths in their mass will be requesting that oil facilities be shut down for a given period. A positive demonstrative step on the part of
the oil companies in this regard will signal to us and to the world that they are committed to peace and non-violence in their operations
in the Niger Delta. The government of Nigeria in alliance with the oil and gas companies had continued to take our oil and our gas
resources without our consent and our support. This is undemocratic and it is armed robbery.

IJAW LAND STILL UNDER MILITARY RULE

The Ijaw nation of the Niger Delta is still under military rule going by the presence and activities of the military forces deployed to
most parts of the oil rich Niger Delta especially the Ijaw area. At Mbiama, a town on the East-West road, soldiers deployed there under
the general Abubakar Abdulsalam military dictatorship have remained at Mbiama Junction. We have confirmed that the soldiers have
continued to terrorise the Ijaws of the Niger Delta. Life has remained unsafe, unsure and deadly for us citizens in this part of
the world. The Nigerian Navy in collaboration with the oil companies regularly organise raids on villages and fishing settlements. Some of
the communities that have been most recently invaded includes: Okigbene; Ferebaghabene; Akamabubou; Brass; Obama; Azuzama;
Olugbobiri; Epebu; Ologoama; Ogodobiri and Tugogbene. The Navy justified these raids and attacks on defenceless Ijaws on the excuse
of maintaining Law and Order and to ensure the uninterrupted flow of oil. The IYC said that the only law and the only order in the Niger
Delta are that which nurtures injustice, environmental despoliation and corporate rule. And that the demands of the Ijaws to control
their resources is sanctioned and supported by God the Almighty. Parliament affirmed its determination to struggle for the
democratization of the Niger Delta in the way and manner the people of the Niger Delta especially the Ijaws have worked for the emerging
democracy in Nigeria.

BILLS FOR RESOURCE CONTROL

There is the urgent need for all the States of the South-South where Ijaws have their ancestral homes to initiate and carry through
democratic programmes aimed at meeting the demands of our people for resource control and self-determination. We have noted the public
approval that followed the recent declaration of the governors of the south-south states for resource control, a position taken at the
historic Kaiama Declaration in 1998. We urge the governors and the legislatures to give effect to these declarations because they are
the best for the present and for the future of Nigeria and for Africa.

SUPPORT FOR THE IJAW NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMITTEE (INEC)

Parliament received a briefing on the coming election of the Ijaw National Congress (INC). Parliament noted that the election is
important to us as a people and as a nation and that it must not fail. Parliament urged all contestants and supporters to exercise
restraint and that all matters must be resolved in the interest of the Ijaw nation.

CONSTITUTIONAL ACTIONS

The constitution of the Ijaw Youths Council that was approved at the Bomadi constitutional assembly be further, reviewed and a clean copy
ratified in the next meeting of the Mobile parliament of the Ijaw Youths Council. Parliament said the copy of the constitution remains
a draft until ratification has taken place. Parliament also said that the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) must not dabble into partisan politics.
The IYC must be built around and on the values of Ijaw total commitment to truth, peaceful coexistence and to justice. The IYC
must ensure that matters affecting the Ijaw nation are resolved peacefully and to the satisfaction of all parties following African
tradition of conflict resolution. Parliament urged the executive to take all necessary steps towards ensuring that Ijaw interest is
protected at all times.

Summary of RESOLUTIONS:

(1) Parliament urged all oil and gas companies operating in the Ijaw area of the Niger Delta to shut down between the 25th and the 27th of
August 2000, as a contribution to the safety of the US President and his entourage. The voluntary closure of the oil and gas facilities
will be a demonstration of the Companies commitment to peaceful and non-violence business activities.

(2) That all military personnel deployed to the Ijaw area of the Niger Delta withdraw form our land immediately. The Ijaw nation ought
to enjoy civilian government that all other parts of Nigeria seem to be enjoying. At the moment we are still under military rule.
Parliament advised the foreign governments not to support the suppression of the peoples of the Niger Delta especially the Ijaws by
arming the Nigerian Navy or the entire Armed forces of the undemocratic government of Nigeria to the detriment of our
aspirations for democracy.

(3) That all States' legislative houses in the South-South should give effect to our aspirations for resource control without any
delay.

(4) That the Ijaw National Electoral Committee (INEC) has the support and confidence of all Ijaw youths and that the IYC will give all
necessary support to INEC so that it can carry out its assignment.

(5) The IYC constitution remains a draft until its ratification in the next Mobile Parliament of the Council.

Felix Tuodolo

felixtuodolo@phca.linkserve.com

President

Ijaw Youths Council
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 13, 2013

You said, and I quote:

kiwi992.

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/carticles/communique_of_the_ijaw_youth_cou.htm

COMMUNIQUÉ OF THE SIXTEENTH SESSION OF THE MOBILE PARLIAMENT OF THE IJAW
YOUTHS COUNCIL (IYC) HELD IN BUGUMA, KALABARI CLAN OF THE IJAW NATION IN
NIGERIA BETWEEN THE 19TH AND 20TH OF AUGUST 2000.

INTRODUCTION

The sixteenth session of the Mobile Parliament of the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) was held in Buguma, capital town of the Asaritoru Local
Government Area of Rivers State, Nigeria. The session was hosted by the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) Kalabari se Kpangi (Kalabari Clan). The
session elected Hon. Oronto Douglas Esq as Speaker, Hon. Patterson Ogon, Clerk of Parliament and Welman Warri as Sgt-At-Arms.

The session began on Saturday the 19/8/2000 at 10:30pm and came to a close on Sunday 20/8/2000 at 6:36 am. Parliament thanked
representatives from human and environmental rights organisations for coming to observe the proceedings of parliament. In particular the
parliament noted representatives from groups such as the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO), the Environmental Rights
Actions/Friends of the Earth, Nigeria (ERA/FOEN), the Niger Delta Human and Environmental Rescue Organisation (ND-HERO), the Ijaw
Council for Human Rights (ICHR); Public Interest Lawyers League (PILL), Women in Nigeria (WIN) and the Niger Delta Women for Justice
(NDWJ). Parliament urged the groups to always send representatives to observe the proceedings of the IYC parliament.

After exhaustive deliberations on a number of issues of National (Ijaw), State (Nigeria) and International (oil and the visit of the
US President) importance, Parliament noted and affirmed as follows:

CLEAN AIR FOR PRESIDENT CLINTON

The American number one citizen and those in his entourage must not be subjected to the kind of fouled air that we breathe in the Niger
Delta and Nigeria as a whole. The Niger Delta is heavily polluted by a variety of chemicals especially those from hydrocarbon and its
allied industries. Although, the majority of corporations that have brought about the pollution of our air are from America, we are
committed to the health and safety of this very important August visitor to Nigeria. Gas Flaring, and certain chemicals used in the
oil and gas industry have made humankind and the animal kingdom air unsafe especially for those who live in the area where the activities
are most intense. The safety of President Bill Clinton is of utmost importance to us especially when that safety will help to protect the
entire biosphere where we the Ijaws and our neighbours in the Niger Delta and Nigeria live. To ensure that Mr. President is protected
from the direct harm of oil and gas related inconveniences, the IYC REQUEST that all the oil companies operating in the Ijaw area of the
Niger Delta SHUT DOWN all their OIL AND GAS PRODUCTION activities from the 25TH---27TH OF AUGUST 2000. This is the second time Ijaw
Youths in their mass will be requesting that oil facilities be shut down for a given period. A positive demonstrative step on the part of
the oil companies in this regard will signal to us and to the world that they are committed to peace and non-violence in their operations
in the Niger Delta. The government of Nigeria in alliance with the oil and gas companies had continued to take our oil and our gas
resources without our consent and our support. This is undemocratic and it is armed robbery.

IJAW LAND STILL UNDER MILITARY RULE

The Ijaw nation of the Niger Delta is still under military rule going by the presence and activities of the military forces deployed to
most parts of the oil rich Niger Delta especially the Ijaw area. At Mbiama, a town on the East-West road, soldiers deployed there under
the general Abubakar Abdulsalam military dictatorship have remained at Mbiama Junction. We have confirmed that the soldiers have
continued to terrorise the Ijaws of the Niger Delta. Life has remained unsafe, unsure and deadly for us citizens in this part of
the world. The Nigerian Navy in collaboration with the oil companies regularly organise raids on villages and fishing settlements. Some of
the communities that have been most recently invaded includes: Okigbene; Ferebaghabene; Akamabubou; Brass; Obama; Azuzama;
Olugbobiri; Epebu; Ologoama; Ogodobiri and Tugogbene. The Navy justified these raids and attacks on defenceless Ijaws on the excuse
of maintaining Law and Order and to ensure the uninterrupted flow of oil. The IYC said that the only law and the only order in the Niger
Delta are that which nurtures injustice, environmental despoliation and corporate rule. And that the demands of the Ijaws to control
their resources is sanctioned and supported by God the Almighty. Parliament affirmed its determination to struggle for the
democratization of the Niger Delta in the way and manner the people of the Niger Delta especially the Ijaws have worked for the emerging
democracy in Nigeria.

BILLS FOR RESOURCE CONTROL

There is the urgent need for all the States of the South-South where Ijaws have their ancestral homes to initiate and carry through
democratic programmes aimed at meeting the demands of our people for resource control and self-determination. We have noted the public
approval that followed the recent declaration of the governors of the south-south states for resource control, a position taken at the
historic Kaiama Declaration in 1998. We urge the governors and the legislatures to give effect to these declarations because they are
the best for the present and for the future of Nigeria and for Africa.

SUPPORT FOR THE IJAW NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMITTEE (INEC)

Parliament received a briefing on the coming election of the Ijaw National Congress (INC). Parliament noted that the election is
important to us as a people and as a nation and that it must not fail. Parliament urged all contestants and supporters to exercise
restraint and that all matters must be resolved in the interest of the Ijaw nation.

CONSTITUTIONAL ACTIONS

The constitution of the Ijaw Youths Council that was approved at the Bomadi constitutional assembly be further, reviewed and a clean copy
ratified in the next meeting of the Mobile parliament of the Ijaw Youths Council. Parliament said the copy of the constitution remains
a draft until ratification has taken place. Parliament also said that the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) must not dabble into partisan politics.
The IYC must be built around and on the values of Ijaw total commitment to truth, peaceful coexistence and to justice. The IYC
must ensure that matters affecting the Ijaw nation are resolved peacefully and to the satisfaction of all parties following African
tradition of conflict resolution. Parliament urged the executive to take all necessary steps towards ensuring that Ijaw interest is
protected at all times.

Summary of RESOLUTIONS:

(1) Parliament urged all oil and gas companies operating in the Ijaw area of the Niger Delta to shut down between the 25th and the 27th of
August 2000, as a contribution to the safety of the US President and his entourage. The voluntary closure of the oil and gas facilities
will be a demonstration of the Companies commitment to peaceful and non-violence business activities.

(2) That all military personnel deployed to the Ijaw area of the Niger Delta withdraw form our land immediately. The Ijaw nation ought
to enjoy civilian government that all other parts of Nigeria seem to be enjoying. At the moment we are still under military rule.
Parliament advised the foreign governments not to support the suppression of the peoples of the Niger Delta especially the Ijaws by
arming the Nigerian Navy or the entire Armed forces of the undemocratic government of Nigeria to the detriment of our
aspirations for democracy.

(3) That all States' legislative houses in the South-South should give effect to our aspirations for resource control without any
delay.

(4) That the Ijaw National Electoral Committee (INEC) has the support and confidence of all Ijaw youths and that the IYC will give all
necessary support to INEC so that it can carry out its assignment.

(5) The IYC constitution remains a draft until its ratification in the next Mobile Parliament of the Council.

Felix Tuodolo

felixtuodolo@phca.linkserve.com

President

Ijaw Youths Council
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 13, 2013
Re: Kalabari People! by oturugo(m): 6:55pm On Feb 13, 2013
Long live the Kalabari people. Kalabari people are peace loving people. They hardly make troubles with their ijoo neighbors despite the fact ijoos keep claiming them all the time.
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 12:50pm On Feb 14, 2013
Hi Killayut,

My Brother Kiwi, You have forgotten I am your cousin. My Mom is an ABITE BEREPIKI . And aunty Ilo is my aunt. Alun is my cousin and his sister Igboba is my cousin too. My mom's brother was later Lowell Berepiki, late Filmore Berepiki.. and Lolo Berepiki is my mom's cousin. his dad Late C.I berepiki who I think is your dad is my mom's uncle ..

Good to know. I thought Ilo was your mum.

Very sad to hear that Filmore as well as Lowell, are both dead. May their souls rest in peace. Amen.

Having said that, can I just say that I'm not concerned about the so-called connection between the Kalabaris and the Ijaws, about which you seem to be constantly harping on, in this Forum. Indeed, it's the least of my concerns right now. Can you see? Your opinion is your opinion and you have a right to express it, but what you don't want to do is to try and force it upon others. Coming here to post a statement issued by the Ijaw Youth Council after a meeting, is most definitely not going to change my mind about the Kalabaris not being Ijaws, or is it? Why should it? As you've read on this Forum, many others dispute what you say about the Kalabaris being a part of the Ijaws. The only person that seems to agree with you on this point is your forever-angry friend by the name of IjawCitizen. Oops,!!!!! Looks like we've opened a can of worms and Mr Angry would be coming here soon, to shout and scream, LOL!!! What have we done now? I've done it again, haven't I? Put my big foot in it. Mr Angry - our Internet warrior would be coming here soon, to try and chew everybody up and spit them out. No wonder his keyboard is ready to pack up on him, saying "enough, enough - I can't take the battering anymore" Ey up, oy, oy!! LOL....

Listen man, I think you should drop that subject and move on. Don't waste your energy on it. I guess you've got bills to pay, have you not? Family to feed? Yeah? Why bother with insignificant matters that would never improve the quality of your life? I tell you what? There are far better things to do in life than this business of the Kalabaris and the Ijaws. How about getting new skills to enable you earn more? New challenges in life - such as learning how to fly, scuba-dive, perhaps writing a book or making a feature film (being that you like posting video clips about the Kalabaris on Youtube). How about that? Ey? Ideas, ideas, these are the ideas that you've always wanted, to keep you busy and challenged. How about that? Don't you guys ever re-train? The days of having just one skill are over, especially in this globalised economy that we live in.

Now then, now then... is there any chance that you or somebody else in this Forum could please get in touch with Bakana Prayer House for me? I ask because I need to get rid of the spirits in my house and I'm sure that the prayer house could do it for me. I really mean that.

Boda Ibiduo

(oops, sorry - kiwi992).

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by ijawcitizen(m): 4:55pm On Feb 14, 2013
LOLS......THIS KIWI GUY MUST BE A COMEDIAN......NEW SKILLS?....RETRAINING....NEW CHALLENGES....IN A GLOBALIZED ECONONOMY? THIS WRITE UP IS TRUELY HUMOUROUS.....SO YOU SEE I'M NOT AS ANGRY AS YOU IMAGINED, I'M ALWAYS FULL OF JOY .......I'M JUST DISAPPOINTED THAT DESPITE UR "SKILLS IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY" YOU'RE HAVING AN IDENTITY CRISIS.

I UNDERSTAND YOU'VE BEEN AWAY FOR TOO LONG & YOU PROBABLY LEFT AT A TIME WHEN YOU WERE NOT EVEN AWARE THAT THERE ARE OTHER KALABARI COMMUNITIES APART BAKANA-- OR AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T KNOW ALL OF THEM, JUST AS YOU SAW OKRIKA PEOPLE, NEMBE, ANDONNI & IBANI AS DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM UR BELOVED "KALABARI NATION THAT FELL FROM THE SKIES WITHOUT ANCESTORS"

I ALSO FEEL SORRY FOR YOU 'COS IF YOU KNOW THE "IJAW MAN" IN YOU, SPIRITS WON'T BE HAVING A FIELD DAY IN YOUR HOUSE. MY ADVICE IS GO DOWN ON UR KNEES, USE UR AUTHORITY AS A CHILD OF GOD, PRAY TO "TAMUNO" & CHASE OUT THOSE SPIRITS OUT OF UR HOUSE. THE DAY YOU STAND UP TO CONFRONT THEM BY "ORDERING" THEM OUT OF UR HOUSE, IS THE DAY THEY'D LEAVE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET HOLY WATER FROM THE NEAREST CATHOLIC CHURCH IF YOU'RE NOT TOO CONVINCED ABOUT THE FORMER.

HAVE A NICE DAY BROS KIWI & PLEASE READ A REAL HISTORY OF KALABARI PEOPLE & STOP HOLDING ON TO THOSE TOLD BY UR IGBO FRIEND AND RELATIVES.
Re: Kalabari People! by oturugo(m): 6:24pm On Feb 14, 2013
ijaw citizen: LOLS......THIS KIWI GUY MUST BE A COMEDIAN......NEW SKILLS?....RETRAINING....NEW CHALLENGES....IN A GLOBALIZED ECONONOMY? THIS WRITE UP IS TRUELY HUMOUROUS.....SO YOU SEE I'M NOT AS ANGRY AS YOU IMAGINED, I'M ALWAYS FULL OF JOY .......I'M JUST DISAPPOINTED THAT DESPITE UR "SKILLS IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY" YOU'RE HAVING AN IDENTITY CRISIS.

I UNDERSTAND YOU'VE BEEN AWAY FOR TOO LONG & YOU PROBABLY LEFT AT A TIME WHEN YOU WERE NOT EVEN AWARE THAT THERE ARE OTHER KALABARI COMMUNITIES APART BAKANA-- OR AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T KNOW ALL OF THEM, JUST AS YOU SAW OKRIKA PEOPLE, NEMBE, ANDONNI & IBANI AS DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM UR BELOVED "KALABARI NATION THAT FELL FROM THE SKIES WITHOUT ANCESTORS"

I ALSO FEEL SORRY FOR YOU 'COS IF YOU KNOW THE "IJAW MAN" IN YOU, SPIRITS WON'T BE HAVING A FIELD DAY IN YOUR HOUSE. MY ADVICE IS GO DOWN ON UR KNEES, USE UR AUTHORITY AS A CHILD OF GOD, PRAY TO "TAMUNO" & CHASE OUT THOSE SPIRITS OUT OF UR HOUSE. THE DAY YOU STAND UP TO CONFRONT THEM BY "ORDERING" THEM OUT OF UR HOUSE, IS THE DAY THEY'D LEAVE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET HOLY WATER FROM THE NEAREST CATHOLIC CHURCH IF YOU'RE NOT TOO CONVINCED ABOUT THE FORMER.

HAVE A NICE DAY BROS KIWI & PLEASE READ A REAL HISTORY OF KALABARI PEOPLE & STOP HOLDING ON TO THOSE TOLD BY UR IGBO FRIEND AND RELATIVES.
He is not Ijaw and will never be Ijaw. He is simply a Kalabari. Why is this difficult for you. Kiwi is a Kalabari from a royal household. There is no better person to do this than a royalty. Respect the wishes of Kalabari people, Biko.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 14, 2013
kiwi992: Hi Killayut,

Good to know. I thought Ilo was your mum.

Very sad to hear that Filmore as well as Lowell, are both dead. May their souls rest in peace. Amen.

Having said that, can I just say that I'm not concerned about the so-called connection between the Kalabaris and the Ijaws, about which you seem to be constantly harping on, in this Forum. Indeed, it's the least of my concerns right now. Can you see? Your opinion is your opinion and you have a right to express it, but what you don't want to do is to try and force it upon others. Coming here to post a statement issued by the Ijaw Youth Council after a meeting, is most definitely not going to change my mind about the Kalabaris not being Ijaws, or is it? Why should it? As you've read on this Forum, many others dispute what you say about the Kalabaris being a part of the Ijaws. The only person that seems to agree with you on this point is your forever-angry friend by the name of IjawCitizen. Oops,!!!!! Looks like we've opened a can of worms and Mr Angry would be coming here soon, to shout and scream, LOL!!! What have we done now? I've done it again, haven't I? Put my big foot in it. Mr Angry - our Internet warrior would be coming here soon, to try and chew everybody up and spit them out. No wonder his keyboard is ready to pack up on him, saying "enough, enough - I can't take the battering anymore" Ey up, oy, oy!! LOL....

Listen man, I think you should drop that subject and move on. Don't waste your energy on it. I guess you've got bills to pay, have you not? Family to feed? Yeah? Why bother with insignificant matters that would never improve the quality of your life? I tell you what? There are far better things to do in life than this business of the Kalabaris and the Ijaws. How about getting new skills to enable you earn more? New challenges in life - such as learning how to fly, scuba-dive, perhaps writing a book or making a feature film (being that you like posting video clips about the Kalabaris on Youtube). How about that? Ey? Ideas, ideas, these are the ideas that you've always wanted, to keep you busy and challenged. How about that? Don't you guys ever re-train? The days of having just one skill are over, especially in this globalised economy that we live in.

Now then, now then... is there any chance that you or somebody else in this Forum could please get in touch with Bakana Prayer House for me? I ask because I need to get rid of the spirits in my house and I'm sure that the prayer house could do it for me. I really mean that.

Boda Ibiduo

(oops, sorry - kiwi992).

OK MY UNCLES FILMORE AND LOWELL DIED AGES AGO. LIKE 20 YEARS AGO OR MORE NOW. YOU DID NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THAT. I AM SURE YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW BEREPIKI COMPOUND LOOKS LIKE. YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT TEKE WARI IN BAKANA. I AM SURE YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW BAKANA LOOKS LIKE BY NOW. NO WONDER YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW THAT THE AVERAGE BAKANA YOUTH CONSIDERS HIMSELF IJAW EVEN MORE THAN HE CONSIDERS HIMSELF OF THE KALABARI BOND. THE IGBANIBO DECLARATION IS ALMOST A REALITY IN BAKANA AND I MUST TELL YOU THAT BAKANA PEOPLE TODAY CONSIDER THEMSELVES IJAW MORE THAN BEING CALLED KALABARI AND IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT YOU MUST KNOW THAT CHIEF IYALLA OR YELLOWE THAT YOU KEEP CLAIMING WAS NOT EVEN FROM ELEM AMA BUT FROM TOMBIA AND SUCH WAS NEVER A KALABARI MAN. I AM NOT FORCING YOU TO KNOW BUT LETTING YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR IGNORANCE SO STOP MISREPRESENTING THE BAKANA PEOPLE. IN THE WHOLE OF BAKANA ONLY THE IGBANIBO OR BRAIDE FACTION WERE FROM ELEM KALABARI. EVEN BEREPIKI WAS FROM KULA AND NEVER FROM KALABARI. KULA ONLY ALIGNED WITH KALABARI TO FORM A KINGDOM. IFOKO WHICH IS ALSO CALLED FOUCHE WERE FROM ELEM IFOKO AND NEVER FROM ELEM AMA AND IBOROMA WAS A COMPOUND IN IFOKO THAT IGBANIBO MET. YET AGAIN I AM NOT TRYING TO FORCE YOU TO AGREE BUT YOU SEEM TO HAVE BEEN LOST AND A BIT RETARDED AND PERHAPS SOME ONE EXILED SO YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TALK ABOUT A PLACE YOU DO NOT KNOW ANY THING ABOUT . THE IJAW YOUTHS COUNCIL OF BAKANA NOW CONTROLS THE AFFAIRS OF BAKANA. AS AT NOW BAKANA DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A KING AND SUCH A KING MUST BE APPROVED BY THE YOUTHS COUNCIL. SO YOU SHOULD KNOW. THE KALABARI FAMILY MEMBERS WHO WERE SETTLED IN KENGEMA TOWN THAT BECAME KNOWN AS ELEM AMA WERE CHILDREN OF PERE BO KALABARI WHO WAS A CHILD OF MEIN OWEI WHO CAME FROM KOLOKUMA TO SETTLE IN OBU AMA FA MARKET NEAR EMOHUA ON THE RIVER CALABAR OF TODAY CLOSE TO UNIPORT OF TODAY. AT THAT TIME THE PEOPLE DOING BUSINESS WITH THE IKWERES AT THAT MARKET WERE IJAWS FROM DIFFERENT IJAW SETTLEMENTS MAJORITY OF WHO WERE THE MINAMA, KULA, NEMBE, BILLE, KE, OPOROAMA, SANGAMA, ANGULAMA, OKOLOMA, FINIMA, TOMBIA. A FRACA BETWEEN THE IKWERES AND THE OBU AMA FA IJAWS CAUSED THE IJAWS TO RUN AWAY. THEY WENT TO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS AND SETTLED AT DIFFERENT PLACES. THE PEREBO KALABARI FAMILY MADE UP OF HIS CHILDREN LED BY ENDE MOVED TO THE KENGEM SETTLEMENT AND LIVED WITH THE KENGEMA PEOPLE THERE AND BECAME DOMINANT. THEIR DOMINANCE MADE THE TOWN BECOME KNOWN AS KENGEME AMA BE KALABARI AWOME. THAT BECAME THE SLOGAN KENGEMA KALABARI . THAT SLOGAN IS STILL USED BY THE ABONNEMA, BUGUMA AND BAKANA PEOPLE OF THE TODAY KALABARI KINGDOM. WHEN KING AMAKIRI ASSUMED LEADERSHIP IN KENGEMA TOWN , THE WAR BETWEEN THEM AND OKOLOMA OVER CONTROL OF VARIOUS IJAW SETTLEMENTS STARTED. AMAKIRI OF KENGEMA KALABARI CONTROLLED ALL THE IJAW SETTLEMENTS WEST OF HIS PORT EXCLUDING BILLE WHO REFUSED TO JOIN HIM, WHILE PEREKULE OF OKOLOMA TOOK CONTROL OF FINIMA AND ABALAMA BIE AND KALA IBIAMA ( FOUNDED BY KE PEOPLE ) . THE KINGDOMS OF BONNY AND KALABARI WERE THEN BORN BY KING AMAKIRI AND KING PEREKULE AND THAT ARRANGEMENT BECAME BONNY AND KALABARI TILL TODAY.......... THIS IS A SMALL PIECE OF HISTORY YOU NEED TO KNOW....WHAT BROUGHT ABOUT BAKANA , BUGUMA AND ABONNEMA WAS THE REBELLION IN KENGEMA KALABARI TOWN OF CHIEF IGBANIBO WHO LEFT THE TOWN TO SETTLE IN BAKANA AND ALIGNED WITH BONNY TO WAGE WAR AGAINST THE REMNANTS. THE WAR MADE THE REMNANTS LEAVE KENGEMA KALABARI TO ESTABLISH ABONNEMA AND BUGUMA AND DESERT KENGEMA KALABARI TOWN WHICH THEY NOW CALL ELEM KALABARI MEANING OLD KALABARI TOWN.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 14, 2013
ijaw citizen: LOLS......THIS KIWI GUY MUST BE A COMEDIAN......NEW SKILLS?....RETRAINING....NEW CHALLENGES....IN A GLOBALIZED ECONONOMY? THIS WRITE UP IS TRUELY HUMOUROUS.....SO YOU SEE I'M NOT AS ANGRY AS YOU IMAGINED, I'M ALWAYS FULL OF JOY .......I'M JUST DISAPPOINTED THAT DESPITE UR "SKILLS IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY" YOU'RE HAVING AN IDENTITY CRISIS.

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT HE IS ON DRUGS. POSSIBLY A CRACK HEAD IN ENGLAND. HE S NEVER BEEN HOME FOR OVER 30 YEARS OR MORE. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE EVENTS BACK HOME. HE DOES NOT KNOW THAT ALL THE UNCLES AND WHO EVER HE CLAIMS TO KNOW ARE DEAD. HE JUST INFORMED US OF HOW HE HEARS VOICES BUT HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT HIS INSANITY IS DUE TO THE DRUGS HE TAKES. MANY OF SUCH CRACK HEADS IN BAKANA WERE SHOT BY MILITANTS LED BY YOUTHS LOYAL TO TOM ATEKE. HE DOES NOT KNOW WHEN IJAW YOUTHS TOOK OVER CONTROL OF AFFAIRS OF THEIR CLAN IN RIVERS STATE . I LL FORGIVE HIM COS HE IS NOT NORMAL BUT A VERY RETARDED MAN . IJAW CITIZEN PLS LET US FORGIVE HIM, HE IS SICK. IGNORE HIM FROM NOW ON COS HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW HOW BAKANA LOOKS LIKE. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE HISTORY OF HIS FAMILY. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THAT TONYE OR BOMA ARE IJAW NAMES. HE CAN NOT EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT THE DIALECT HE SPEAKS THAT IS IF HE SPEAKS IT AT ALL, IS AN IJAW LANGUAGE. HE SAYS TOBARA WITHOUT KNOWING THAT TOBARA IS AN ADULTERATED FORM OF TE BARA BUT HE SAYS TE ANGA OR TE JU OR TE BIRI ? THATS HOW MYOPIC PEOPLE LIKE HIM ARE. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE PROPER WAY OF SAYING TIYE ( TE NYE ) MEANING WHAT OR WHICH THING. PLS FORGIVE HIS IGNORANCE.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 10:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
oturugo:
He is not Ijaw and will never be Ijaw. He is simply a Kalabari. Why is this difficult for you. Kiwi is a Kalabari from a royal household. There is no better person to do this than a royalty. Respect the wishes of Kalabari people, Biko.

OTUROGU, SHUT UP. KIWI IS A MAD MAN WHO CLAIMS MY FAMILY WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING US. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE BAKANA HE CLAIMS. I AM FEELING HE IS A CHILD OF A SLAVE ADOPTED BY CHIEF ABITE BEREPIKI. WE HAVE A LOT OF THEM AND WE CALL THEM OMONI FURO. THEY ARE IGBO PEOPLE MAINLY FROM AROCHUKWU . MANY OF THEM WERE EVEN OSU. HE HAS NOT EVEN BEEN HOME FOR ALMOST 30 YRS AND FROM HIS WORDS I AM SURE HE IS CLOSE TO 60 YRS OLD.
Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 1:49am On Feb 15, 2013
killayut:

OTUROGU, SHUT UP. KIWI IS A MAD MAN WHO CLAIMS MY FAMILY WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING US. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE BAKANA HE CLAIMS. I AM FEELING HE IS A CHILD OF A SLAVE ADOPTED BY CHIEF ABITE BEREPIKI. WE HAVE A LOT OF THEM AND WE CALL THEM OMONI FURO. THEY ARE IGBO PEOPLE MAINLY FROM AROCHUKWU . MANY OF THEM WERE EVEN OSU. HE HAS NOT EVEN BEEN HOME FOR ALMOST 30 YRS AND FROM HIS WORDS I AM SURE HE IS CLOSE TO 60 YRS OLD.

Ewu. Shut up. Arochukwu never practised osu caste system.

No amount of rubbish u write will make kalabari or okirika,ijaw. They associate with ijaw mainly for political reasons. You can never ask an okirika or kalabari man his ethnic group,and he would say 'ijaw', never!

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 1:56am On Feb 15, 2013
ijaw citizen: LET ME DEFINE SOME TERMS CLEARLY TO ENABLE SOME COCONUT HEADS TO ASSIMILATED SOME KNOWLEDGE THAT WILL BENEFIT THEM FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES

Go and die. Ijaw is not recognized as an ethnic group in rivers state, there is a reason for that. The kalabaris,okirikas,ibanis are not comfortable with the ijaw tag. Their continued association with you bayelsa desperados is purely political.

The ethnic groups in rivers state are ijoid,igboid,igbo and the rest. Under the igboid, we have ikwerre,ogba,ekpeye,etche,ndoni. Under igbo we have asa,egbema and ndoki.

That is how things stand in rivers state,non of your silly rantings here would change that.

The current deputy secetary general of Ohaneze is an ikwerre man by the name Engr innocent wonwu. Ajoku emmanuel alerechi is the ohanaeze national vice president rivers state,and he is an ikwerre man.

Now, go and die.

2 Likes

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 15, 2013
pazienza:

Go and die. Ijaw is not recognized as an ethnic group in rivers state, there is a reason for that. The kalabaris,okirikas,ibanis are not comfortable with the ijaw tag. Their continued association with you bayelsa desperados is purely political.

The ethnic groups in rivers state are ijoid,igboid,igbo and the rest. Under the igboid, we have ikwerre,ogba,ekpeye,etche. Under igbo we have asa and ndoki.

That is how things stand in rivers state,non of your silly rantings here would change that.

The current deputy secetary general of Ohaneze is an ikwerre man by the name Engr innocent wonwu. Ajoku emmanuel alerechi is the ohanaeze national vice president rivers state,and he is an ikwerre man.

I am a Kalabari man and Kalabari. IS an. IJAW. people. Case closed

Now, go and die.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 4:26am On Feb 15, 2013
pazienza:

Ewu. Shut up. Arochukwu never practiced osu cast system.

No amount of rubbish u write will make kalabari or okirika,ijaw. They associate with ijaw mainly for political reasons. You can never ask an okirika or kalabari man his ethnic group,and he would say 'ijaw', never!

OK IGBO MAN GO AND SUCK. OTU.I AM A KALABARI AND WE ARE IJAW.
Re: Kalabari People! by oturugo(m): 1:02pm On Feb 15, 2013
killayut:

OK IGBO MAN GO AND SUCK. OTU.I AM A KALABARI AND WE ARE IJAW.
You are Ijaw and not Kalabari. While Kiwi is Kalabari and not Ijaw. Respect the wishes of Kalabaris who has always maintained that they are not Ijaws but Kalabaris. Why do yo force an identity unto them, even an identity they do not wish.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 3:16am On Feb 16, 2013
Hey Killayut,

You said, and I quote:

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT HE IS ON DRUGS. POSSIBLY A CRACK HEAD IN ENGLAND. HE S NEVER BEEN HOME FOR OVER 30 YEARS OR MORE. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE EVENTS BACK HOME. HE DOES NOT KNOW THAT ALL THE UNCLES AND WHO EVER HE CLAIMS TO KNOW ARE DEAD. HE JUST INFORMED US OF HOW HE HEARS VOICES BUT HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT HIS INSANITY IS DUE TO THE DRUGS HE TAKES. MANY OF SUCH CRACK HEADS IN BAKANA WERE SHOT BY MILITANTS LED BY YOUTHS LOYAL TO TOM ATEKE. HE DOES NOT KNOW WHEN IJAW YOUTHS TOOK OVER CONTROL OF AFFAIRS OF THEIR CLAN IN RIVERS STATE . I LL FORGIVE HIM COS HE IS NOT NORMAL BUT A VERY slow MAN . IJAW CITIZEN PLS LET US FORGIVE HIM, HE IS SICK. IGNORE HIM FROM NOW ON COS HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW HOW BAKANA LOOKS LIKE. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE HISTORY OF HIS FAMILY. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THAT TONYE OR BOMA ARE IJAW NAMES. HE CAN NOT EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT THE DIALECT HE SPEAKS THAT IS IF HE SPEAKS IT AT ALL, IS AN IJAW LANGUAGE. HE SAYS TOBARA WITHOUT KNOWING THAT TOBARA IS AN ADULTERATED FORM OF TE BARA BUT HE SAYS TE ANGA OR TE JU OR TE BIRI ? THATS HOW MYOPIC PEOPLE LIKE HIM ARE. HE DOES NOT EVEN KNOW THE PROPER WAY OF SAYING TIYE ( TE NYE ) MEANING WHAT OR WHICH THING. PLS FORGIVE HIS IGNORANCE.

You know what, I am most amazed at your outrageous statement that I'm on crack cocaine and all what not, to think that I don't even drink, let alone smoke. All I've ever drank in my life is Red Bull. Ah well, it takes all sorts. I won't even condescend to your level. Moreover, I'm far too civilised to fall for this kind of empty talk that smacks of desperation on your part.

All I can say is this - for someone about whom you don't know a thing, never met or seen before, one that rarely ever lived in Bakana, let alone, visited Nigeria from the day that I set foot in the UK, you took it upon yourself, purporting to know me, by coming here to post false and malicious allegations about me, saying that I'm on crack cocaine and all what not, in addition to attempting to tarnish my reputation and family background. Thank your stars that I don't live in Nigeria. I'd have sued you for defamation of character, so as to teach you a lesson never to utter such slanderous statements in public or private. That way, you'd know for sure, that the Internet doesn't provide complete anonymity and that anybody could easily be traced and served a Court Summons.

Maybe you should ask yourself as to how on earth, someone, who claims to be related to the Berepiki's, as you do, would have dared behave the way that you have, through a feat of rage, anger and frustration, merely because I disagree with you, when you say that the Kalabaris are Ijaws. Do you honestly think that people like Ben, Bekinbo, Lolo, Otonye, Gloria, or whoever, would ever behave this way? I'll leave that to your judgement. It takes one to know one, they say.

Let me tell you something - if there is any true Bakana citizen out there, I am the one, bar none. In the UK they say 'true blue'. I am the true blue.

Talking about how long I've lived abroad, well, that's my choice. Don't you think? Thirty eight years (38) to be precise and still going strong. The other two Berepikis in the UK that you see on the Internet (apart from me) are my sons - Dr Adokiye Berepiki and Kamate Berepiki. Me - a Chartered Management Accountant, Systems Engineer, SAP Consultant and a Private Pilot, in addition to other ground-breaking skills that I've got. My postings in the various threads on Nairaland speak volumes for themselves, not simply about the Kalabaris and Ijaws, as you forever seem to do. My dad, who was very close to me (Dr C. I. Berepiki) is no longer alive, no mum alive either, so, what do I need to come to Nigeria for? Come and be envied upon and get killed? Hey, at least, I'm most happy here.

Since you claim to be related to the Berepikis, I've been asking you to go to Bakana Prayer House on my behalf. Did you go? No. Who made helpful suggestions to me yesterday? Your friend IjawCitizen - yes IjawCitizen did, even though I don't agree with what he says. At least he had the decency to suggest something for me to do, inorder to get rid of the spirits in my house (thanks for that, IjawCitizen). Moreover, he's smart enough to have picked up on the humour in my last posting. You couldn't. How so sad.

Everybody here tells you that The Kalabaris are NOT Ijaws, yet you won't listen. You have been trying to push your Ijaw agenda and have now gone into the habit of insulting people in your postings, simply because you couldn't get your own way.

Maybe you think that I hate the Ijaws - well, I don't. I was even going to marry an Ijaw girl - Dr Nengi Alazigha, whose dad was a friend of my late dad's when both of them worked in the Rivers State Ministry of Education, Port Harcourt. Sadly, my dad died just before my family members in Iyalla's compound could go and perform the native engagement ceremony on my behalf. In the end, it didn't happen (talk about having a cold feet). Why on earth would I have anything against the Ijaws? I just happen to have my own opinion, like the rest of the people in this Forum, that have also been telling you that the Kalabaris are NOT Ijaws.

Like I said, you go and ask any true Kalabari citizen out there and the one would tell you that the Kalabaris are not Ijaws. Perhaps you have direct family ties with the Ijaws on your paternal side - nothing wrong with that. Maybe you have political ambitions - all well and good, but preaching that the Kalabaris are Ijaw is not what's going to get you elected into a political office.

Can I just say that the one's history, culture and tradition is something that the one never forgets, no matter where the one is located in this world. I'm most proud to be able to recall everything that I was taught as a child. I am a true Berepiki and an Iyalla. My late dad - Dr C. I Berepiki, was the last son of the daughter of the founder of Bakana - Paramount Chief Iyalla (Yellowe)- Pina Pina Inai - Yellowe's Compound. We lived in Iyalla's compound as opposed to Berepiki's compound. My mum was from Sokunoma's compound - daughter of John Ekwe Duke. I know my roots, despite many years abroad. I don't need to come here to prove anything to anyone, let alone you. Of all my late father's children, I was the one that was closest to him and the one that he loved the most. Indeed, the people of Bakana knew that, when they plotted to kidnap me from Port Harcourt to Bakana, so that my dad would go looking for me, and for them to capture and assassinate him, on account of their trumped up charges, of him supposedly supporting the Biafrans. The whole of Iyalla's compound knew me as a friend of my dad's - 'dabo ikia bo' they used to say.

Having said that, I am not in any way, better than anybody. Never! The so-called slaves that you have referred to, didn't ask to be sold. They were victims of the unfortunate circumstances that they found themselves in. Sadly, because of people the likes of you, our West Indian and African-American friends have still got a hang-up about the slave trade, culminating in a hatred towards Africans.

Worst still, you keep exhibiting discrimination - Ibo this, Ibo that. Aren't the Ibos human beings anymore? I don't suppose you've faced any racial discrimination in your life, have you? I'm most amazed about this level of discrimination. Guess what, I have very good Ibo friends over here. Indeed, my best friend, when we lived in Lagos is an Ibo - John Oti - from Ibom Village, Arochukwu. The girl that I loved with all my heart, bar none, is half Ibo - Anuli Onyeabo - a High Court Judge and daughter of the late Dr Onyeabo of Tottenham (that hails from Onitsha), and partly from Bakana. My mechanic over here is an Ibo - John. The guy that services my washer is an Ibo - Joe, and very hard working too. Joe has even offered to bring me some Holy Water from the Catholic Church that he goes to, inorder for me to pray with, and sprinkle all over my house. In case you didn't know, even the current Nigerian President has an Ibo middle name (Eberechi). What's so wrong with the Ibos that you hate them so much? Why the constant anti-Ibo rhetoric? Why hate? Why? If only you'd faced racial discrimination in your life, you'd know how it feels when someone hates you on account of your race, colour or creed, just like you are doing with the Ibos. Most of all, if ever you saw how the innocent Ibos were slaughtered by the Hausa soldiers near Ebute Metta market, when I lived in Lagos with my dad, just prior to the Nigerian Civil War, you'd have felt pity on them, for the injustices they have suffered and indeed, are still suffering today, for fighting for their survival in the face of near-extermination. Enough said.

As I've always maintained, there are spirits in my house. Oh yeah, and spirits do exist too, in case you didn't know or believe that they do indeed, exist. Perhaps you should go to Youtube and do a search on Britain's Most Haunted. Spirits can manifest themselves in many ways. They'll do everything possible to communicate with the living, if they had to. Back in 2004, I was printing some document from the Internet when all of a sudden, the document that I was printing got paused (I saw a tick alongside it!), whilst a completely different document got printed, with strange characters on it, similar to bar codes on food items in the supermarkets. This happened twice and I've still got those two documents. I did mention this to my Indian friend in Canada. She was amazed, to say the least. In 2008, someone whistled in my ears, whilst I was listening to music in my mobile phone. Up 'til today, they still acknowledge me by whistling into my netbook when I log on to play chess online, in the evenings. They whistle at me inside the netbook and without any microphone plugged in, I'd whistle back at them, before the game starts. If they whistled at me after the game, I'd know they'd written something in the main room, so I'd go there. In most cases, it's 'Good game' but in very bright yellow - maybe to attract my attention, I don't know. Yesterday, one of them typed 'how are you?'. I have no problem with all of this, being that they haven't done anything to scare me. However, what I don't like is when they start banging in the house - kitchen door, stairs, the window in the third bedroom, when the central heating comes on, the loft and so on.

My advice to you - never try and force your opinion on others 'cos it won't work. Being cheeky or insultive to others only makes you look smaller and insignificant than you already are.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by aljharem(m): 9:25am On Feb 16, 2013
kiwi992, Please I am new and read some of your post. Can you please explain why Kalabari is not part of the Ijaw group ?

please make it simple and short
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 16, 2013
alj harem: kiwi992, Please I am new and read some of your post. Can you please explain why Kalabari is not part of the Ijaw group ?

please make it simple and short

The man is sick. He even claims to be a Berepiki when he does not even know the meaning of Berepiki and does not know where Berepiki migrated to Bakana from.
He does not even know the meaning of Bakana. He has not even been in Nigeria for about 30 or 40 yrs now and is not in touch. He told us he is hearing voices and thinks he is disturbed by some evil spirit LOL. Am sure he does not speak Kalabari if not he d know Tobara ( te bara ) is Ijaw, Bo is Ijaw . Even the KALABARI goddess That they call WAYINGI is WOYINGI the Ijaw goddess. He never read the history of KALABARI that says Pere-bo KALABARI was born by Mein Owei WHO CAME FROM KOLOKUMA to settle at Obu Amafa. The guy is demented I swear.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 16, 2013

You said, and I quote:

You know what, I am most amazed at your outrageous statement that I'm on crack cocaine and all what not, to think that I don't even drink, let alone smoke. All I've ever drank in my life is Red Bull. Ah well, it takes all sorts. I won't even condescend to your level. Moreover, I'm far too civilised to fall for this kind of empty talk that smacks of desperation on your part.

All I can say is this - for someone about whom you don't know a thing, never met or seen before, one that rarely ever lived in, or indeed, visited Bakana from the day that I set foot in the UK, you took it upon yourself to post false and malicious rumours about me, making up stories (lying) that I'm on crack and all what not, in addition to attempting to tarnish my reputation and family background. Thank your stars that I don't live in Nigeria. I'd have sued you for defamation of character, so as to teach you a lesson never to utter such slanderous statements in public or private. That way, you'd know for sure, that the Internet doesn't provide complete anonymity and that anybody could easily be traced and served a Court Summons.

Maybe you should ask yourself as to how on earth, someone, who claims to be related to the Berepiki's, as you do, would have dared behave the way that you have, through a feat of rage, anger and frustration, merely because I disagree with you, when you say that the Kalabaris are Ijaws. Do you honestly think that people like Ben, Bekinbo, Lolo, Otonye, Gloria, or whoever, would ever behave this way? I'll leave that to your judgement. It takes one to know one, they say.

Let me tell you something - if there is any true Bakana citizen out there, I am the one, bar none. In the UK they say 'true blue'. I am the true blue.

Talking about how long I've lived abroad, well, that's my choice. Don't you think? Thirty eight years (38) to be precise and still going strong. The other two Berepikis in the UK that you see on the Internet (apart from me) are my sons - Dr Adokiye Berepiki and Kamate Berepiki. Me - a Chartered Management Accountant, Systems Engineer, SAP Consultant and a Private Pilot, in addition to other ground-breaking skills that I've got. My postings in the various threads on Nairaland speak volumes for themselves, not simply about the Kalabaris and Ijaws, as you forever seem to do. My dad, who was very close to me (Dr C. I. Berepiki) is no longer alive, no mum alive either, so, what do I need to come to Nigeria for? Come and be envied upon and get killed? Hey, at least, I'm most happy here.

Since you claim to be related to the Berepikis, I've been asking you to go to Bakana Prayer House on my behalf. Did you go? No. Who made helpful suggestions to me yesterday? Your friend IjawCitizen - yes IjawCitizen did, even though I don't agree with what he says. At least he had the decency to suggest something for me to do, inorder to get rid of the spirits in my house (thanks for that, IjawCitizen). Moreover, he's smart enough to have picked up on the humour in my last posting. You couldn't. How so sad.

Everybody here tells you that The Kalabaris are NOT Ijaws, yet you won't listen. You have been trying to push your Ijaw agenda and have now gone into the habit of insulting people in your postings, simply because you couldn't get your own way.

Maybe you think that I hate the Ijaws - well, I don't. I was even going to marry an Ijaw girl - Dr Nengi Alazigha, whose dad was a friend of my late dad's when both of them worked in the Rivers State Ministry of Education, Port Harcourt. Sadly, my dad died just before my family members in Iyalla's compound could go and perform the native engagement ceremony on my behalf. In the end, it didn't happen (talk about having a cold feet). Why on earth would I have anything against the Ijaws? I just happen to have my own opinion, like the rest of the people in this Forum, that have also been telling you that the Kalabaris are NOT Ijaws.

Like I said, you go and ask any true Kalabari citizen out there and the one would tell you that the Kalabaris are not Ijaws. Perhaps you have direct family ties with the Ijaws on your paternal side - nothing wrong with that. Maybe you have political ambitions - all well and good, but preaching that the Kalabaris are Ijaw is not what's going to get you elected into a political office.

Can I just say that the one's history, culture and tradition is something that the one never forgets, no matter where the one is located in this world. I'm most proud to be able to recall everything that I was taught as a child. I am a true Berepiki and an Iyalla. My late dad - Dr C. I Berepiki, was the last son of the daughter of the founder of Bakana - Paramount Chief Iyalla (Yellowe)- Pina Pina Inai - Yellowe's Compound. We lived in Iyalla's compound as opposed to Berepiki's compound. My mum was from Sokunoma's compound - daughter of John Ekwe Duke. I know my roots, despite many years abroad. I don't need to come here to prove anything to anyone, let alone you. Of all my late father's children, I was the one that was closest to him and the one that he loved the most. Indeed, the people of Bakana knew that, when they plotted to kidnap me from Port Harcourt to Bakana, so that my dad would go looking for me, and for them to capture and assassinate him, on account of their trumped up charges, of him supposedly supporting the Biafrans. The whole of Iyalla's compound knew me as a friend of my dad's - 'dabo ikia bo' they used to say.

Having said that, I am not in any way, better than anybody. Never! The so-called slaves that you have referred to, didn't ask to be sold. They were victims of the unfortunate circumstances that they found themselves in. Sadly, because of people the likes of you, our West Indian and African-American friends have still got a hang-up about the slave trade, culminating in a hatred towards Africans.

Worst still, you keep exhibiting discrimination - Ibo this, Ibo that. Aren't the Ibos human beings anymore? I don't suppose you've faced any racial discrimination in your life, have you? I'm most amazed about this level of discrimination. Guess what, I have very good Ibo friends over here. Indeed, my best friend, when we lived in Lagos is an Ibo - John Oti - from Ibom Village, Arochukwu. The girl that I loved with all my heart, bar none, is half Ibo - Anuli Onyeabo - a High Court Judge and daughter of the late Dr Onyeabo of Tottenham (that hails from Onitsha), and partly from Bakana. My mechanic over here is an Ibo - John. The guy that services my washer is an Ibo - Joe, and very hard working too. Joe has even offered to bring me some Holy Water from the Catholic Church that he goes to, inorder for me to pray with, and sprinkle all over my house. In case you didn't know, even the current Nigerian President has an Ibo middle name (Eberechi). What's so wrong with the Ibos that you hate them so much? Why the constant anti-Ibo rhetoric? Why hate? Why? If only you'd faced racial discrimination in your life, you'd know how it feels when someone hates you on account of your race, colour or creed, just like you are doing with the Ibos. Most of all, if ever you saw how the innocent Ibos were slaughtered by the Hausa soldiers near Ebute Metta market, when I lived in Lagos with my dad, just prior to the Nigerian Civil War, you'd have felt pity on them, for the injustices they have suffered and indeed, are still suffering today, for fighting for their survival in the face of near-extermination. Enough said.

As I've always maintained, there are spirits in my house. Oh yeah, and spirits do exist too, in case you didn't know or believe that they do indeed, exist. Perhaps you should go to Youtube and do a search on Britain's Most Haunted. Spirits can manifest themselves in many ways. They'll do everything possible to communicate with the living, if they had to. Back in 2004, I was printing some document from the Internet when all of a sudden, the document that I was printing got paused (I saw a tick alongside it!), whilst a completely different document got printed, with strange characters on it, similar to bar codes on food items in the supermarkets. This happened twice and I've still got those two documents. I did mention this to my Indian friend in Canada. She was amazed, to say the least. In 2008, someone whistled in my ears, whilst I was listening to music in my mobile phone. Up 'til today, they still acknowledge me by whistling into my netbook when I log on to play chess online, in the evenings. They whistle at me inside the netbook and without any microphone plugged in, I'd whistle back at them, before the game starts. If they whistled at me after the game, I'd know they'd written something in the main room, so I'd go there. In most cases, it's 'Good game' but in very bright yellow - maybe to attract my attention, I don't know. Yesterday, one of them typed 'how are you?'. I have no problem with all of this, being that they haven't done anything to scare me. However, what I don't like is when they start banging in the house - kitchen door, stairs, the window in the third bedroom, when the central heating comes on, the loft and so on.

My advice to you - never try and force your opinion on others 'cos it won't work. Being cheeky or insultive to others only makes you look smaller and insignificant than you already are.

kiwi992.

You are not haunted. Stop taking cheap drugs and you ll be fine. and if you go to BAKANA and say They are not Ijaws you might get shot. They wont insult you but Shoot you. You are one very unreasonable person. Facts of events have been posted to you to see and you are still being Myopic I am sure you do not even have any friend out side KALABARI so you are ignorant of others or you simply can not put things together to get a real view. Maybe due to the drugs you take. KALABARI was a town and am sure you know that punk. Elem ama was just a fishing port with only about 300 fishermen. Now are you saying 300 fisher men made a tribe when they were speaking the same language with the Bille, Okoloma and even Okrika , Minama, Kula, Ke,Soku, Tombia.. Now are you saying each of these towns I mentioned were Tribes of their own ? and how come they speak similar language with Nembe, Oruama and Kolokuma ? Your dad was a reasonable man. You better be reasonable too or perhaps the drugs you take have messed your brain up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 311
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.