Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,301 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Kalabari People! - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (115410 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2015
shota:

The BIKO you used confirms you to be an IGBO man.. Many Igbo people were brought to Abonnema and those Igbos are not Ijaws but Igbo and you are one of them.... God and find the meaning of KALABARI and also find out if Come in Kalabari is Igbo or Ijaw.. Also find out why Okrika, Kalabari, Bille and Ibani dialects are almost the same . Find out who the people of Ke, Kula, Minama, Soku are and tell me if they are Kalabari or Ijaw.. Confused people like you need to be first flogged in the public before teaching the right thing.. Igbo fool like you.. I am Kalabari and I am Ijaw by Tribe . We the Ijaws of KALABARI own KALABARI and not you the Igbos.

Abeg wetin bring all these insults? Wetin I do you oga? So because I say Biko I have becone your enemy number 1? Ok before I give feedback biko clarify na me you insult abi you quote the wrong post?
Abeg confirm before I give my own reply.
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 7:03pm On Jul 30, 2015
delishpot:

This man, you know a lot.

This is what KIWI does not know..

Elem Kalabari where Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana and Obuama people came from had nothing like POLO. What it had were AME which is called ward in English.. The various Ame ( groups ) Were people from different Ijaw clans... .. When we say BOMA ame we mean Boma and his group... At that time, About 9 AME were identified. And they were , KORO AME, AKI ALA AME, IGODO AME, ENDE AME, BUKO AME, and others... EACH OF THESE Ame grew in numbers and certain people among them who became wealthy became ALA APU... . Each of these AME was independent of the other and each of them protected themselves.. They had war canoes which they used to protect themselves and such war canoes were also used to guard their merchant boats.. The merchant boats were called GIGI cos of the toughness in paddling them.. With time certain men who became wealthy established their own domain and section and had to provide the needy security for the people within.. This was the beginning of the establishment of new CANOE sections .. These new Canoe sections are known as HOUSES.. House in this case does not mean BUILDING but family block.. Since the new family block depended entirely on the strength of the war canoe established .. This was how war canoe houses started.. War canoe houses grew up in size and in some war canoe houses close to 5 new sections could rise.. each of these new house became new segment of the war canoe house and so the entire ELEM ama became divided along AME- WAR CANOE HOUSE- POLO- SUB POLO- WARI.. .. This is why in todays Abonnema, Buguma and Bakana and Obuama you can find compounds who are of the same lineage with some compounds another town.. It was because the people did not move along the AME line but they moved along POLO lines because what happened in Elem Ama wasa civil war where different polo supported Amakiri and some Polo did not support.. It was not really along the AME as in Akiala ame, Ende ame... The Entire Braide compound of Bakana that fough against Amakiri were Ende Ame people and AMAKIRI also is an Ende ame group. The Entire Jackreece in Buguma are Koro ame people and the entire Black duke in Abonnema and Duke in Bakana are Koro ame also....
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2015
delishpot:

Abeg wetin bring all these insults? Wetin I do you oga? So because I say Biko I have becone your enemy number 1? Ok before I give feedback biko clarify na me you insult abi you quote the wrong post?
Abeg confirm before I give my own reply.

You are not my enemy but if you try to use Igbo in an Ijaw thread, you are my enemy .
Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 7:18pm On Jul 30, 2015
shota:

You are not my enemy but if you try to use Igbo in an Ijaw thread, you are my enemy .
My dear, you went about it the wrong way. Not good at all at all. I never claimed that igbos were ijaws. I never insulted anyone, you were rude and not a good custodian of the kalabari history. You will chase away instead of enlighten people about the kalabari people. This is a discussion where we all come to discuss share ehat we knoe and learn from each other. What is with the name calling? Not good at all. I did you no wrong please learn to talk to people with sone respect. No one is trying to draw your blood. This attitude will take you no where. To say the only person that speaks any igbo language is an igbo person? You call yourself a kalabari man yet you fail to know that many kalabari men marry igbo women and their kids may speak igbo? Its a shame your approach. Please you alone dont hold monopoly to insults you know.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 7:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
shota:

This is what KIWI does not know..

Elem Kalabari where Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana and Obuama people came from had nothing like POLO. What it had were AME which is called ward in English.. The various Ame ( groups ) Were people from different Ijaw clans... .. When we say BOMA ame we mean Boma and his group... At that time, About 9 AME were identified. And they were , KORO AME, AKI ALA AME, IGODO AME, ENDE AME, BUKO AME, and others... EACH OF THESE Ame grew in numbers and certain people among them who became wealthy became ALA APU... . Each of these AME was independent of the other and each of them protected themselves.. They had war canoes which they used to protect themselves and such war canoes were also used to guard their merchant boats.. The merchant boats were called GIGI cos of the toughness in paddling them.. With time certain men who became wealthy established their own domain and section and had to provide the needy security for the people within.. This was the beginning of the establishment of new CANOE sections .. These new Canoe sections are known as HOUSES.. House in this case does not mean BUILDING but family block.. Since the new family block depended entirely on the strength of the war canoe established .. This was how war canoe houses started.. War canoe houses grew up in size and in some war canoe houses close to 5 new sections could rise.. each of these new house became new segment of the war canoe house and so the entire ELEM ama became divided along AME- WAR CANOE HOUSE- POLO- SUB POLO- WARI.. .. This is why in todays Abonnema, Buguma and Bakana and Obuama you can find compounds who are of the same lineage with some compounds another town.. It was because the people did not move along the AME line but they moved along POLO lines because what happened in Elem Ama wasa civil war where different polo supported Amakiri and some Polo did not support.. It was not really along the AME as in Akiala ame, Ende ame... The Entire Braide compound of Bakana that fough against Amakiri were Ende Ame people and AMAKIRI also is an Ende ame group. The Entire Jackreece in Buguma are Koro ame people and the entire Black duke in Abonnema and Duke in Bakana are Koro ame also....

Thank you. I enjoy learning about our culture. FYI I am kalabari
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 4:41am On Jul 31, 2015
delishpot:

My dear, you went about it the wrong way. Not good at all at all. I never claimed that igbos were ijaws. I never insulted anyone, you were rude and not a good custodian of the kalabari history. You will chase away instead of enlighten people about the kalabari people. This is a discussion where we all come to discuss share ehat we knoe and learn from each other. What is with the name calling? Not good at all. I did you no wrong please learn to talk to people with sone respect. No one is trying to draw your blood. This attitude will take you no where. To say the only person that speaks any igbo language is an igbo person? You call yourself a kalabari man yet you fail to know that many kalabari men marry igbo women and their kids may speak igbo? Its a shame your approach. Please you alone dont hold monopoly to insults you know.

Bere ofori.. Kalabari are Ijaw people..
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 4:55am On Jul 31, 2015
delishpot:
All my life I was told the kalabari people are related to the ijaws. Though my dad never called himself an Ijaw man. He called himself kalabari man. The Ijaws to him were the Riverine people of the then Bendel state, people from Now Bayelsa state . Even those from Bendel now delta were sometimes called Izon.

Biko, can someone tell me the story behind wayingi and Akaso? I am very much interested. Though I am Kalabari Abonnema to be precise, I do not know much about them.

Wayingi is the Kalabari spelling for WOINGI... wa yingi means who produced us.. In Ancient Kalabari INGI refers to a mass of object as in blob or any given mass of object.. YI means to produce... You must have heard peeps saying, Fulo meh minji minji YI teh.. It means the soup has become watery ( produced water )... Wa means us in Kalabari and it is the distortion of WO in original Ijaw language.. Hence, WA YI INGI which means the Mass of body that produced us.. The mass of body could be imaginary or abstract and in this case it is Abstract cos we do not know that mass of body.. It refers to the God who created us.. The God that produced us... . Before this time, the God of Ijaw people was called OGI SO or OGINA SO. It means OGE the God or God of Oge.. Oge is the father of the Ijaw race today.. Apart from Oge who was seen as the God, So many other things have been seen as God and AKA was one of them.. AKA SO means AKA the God... SO means the natural being that is referred to as the INGI ( imaginary mass ) that produced us.. AKA was probably a human being like OGE ( OGI ) . And so when a strange white woman was found durinG the Portuguese colonial era by the KORO AME Ijaw people, They thought she was AKA SO that has come in human form so they picked her up and called her AKA SO the WA YI INGI ( WOINGI ).. Her love for little kids gave her the name AWO MINA AKA SO the WOINGI ( WA IYI INGI )..
Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 8:34am On Jul 31, 2015
shota:

Bere ofori.. Kalabari are Ijaw people..

I mie te.
Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 8:45am On Jul 31, 2015
shota:

Wayingi is the Kalabari spelling for WOINGI... wa yingi means who produced us.. In Ancient Kalabari INGI refers to a mass of object as in blob or any given mass of object.. YI means to produce... You must have heard peeps saying, Fulo meh minji minji YI teh.. It means the soup has become watery ( produced water )... Wa means us in Kalabari and it is the distortion of WO in original Ijaw language.. Hence, WA YI INGI which means the Mass of body that produced us.. The mass of body could be imaginary or abstract and in this case it is Abstract cos we do not know that mass of body.. It refers to the God who created us.. The God that produced us... . Before this time, the God of Ijaw people was called OGI SO or OGINA SO. It means OGE the God or God of Oge.. Oge is the father of the Ijaw race today.. Apart from Oge who was seen as the God, So many other things have been seen as God and AKA was one of them.. AKA SO means AKA the God... SO means the natural being that is referred to as the INGI ( imaginary mass ) that produced us.. AKA was probably a human being like OGE ( OGI ) . And so when a strange white woman was found durinG the Portuguese colonial era by the KORO AME Ijaw people, They thought she was AKA SO that has come in human form so they picked her up and called her AKA SO the WA YI INGI ( WOINGI ).. Her love for little kids gave her the name AWO MINA AKA SO the WOINGI ( WA IYI INGI )..

Haba I yinbere you wont believe I thought that name meant Our Mother grin And I also believe SO was the word for heaven or heavenlies.
Its all good. Tamuno I boma..
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 11:41am On Jul 31, 2015
delishpot:

Haba I yinbere you wont believe I thought that name meant Our Mother grin And I also believe SO was the word for heaven or heavenlies.

You are right. it means our mother. I only explained it in a way you d understand it better than just our mother.. our mother MEANS WA IYI INGI.. but the actual meaning of WA IYINGI was what I explained so you dont see it as female.... I said wa iyingi means the mass of object that produced us .... I explained INGI as either an imaginary mass or a physical mass.. The word INGI is an old Ijaw word and it does not mean mother. It means mass of object.. Mother is IYI INGI... Mass of object that produces... So God is seen as our producer which is WA IYI INGI .. I also explained what IYI means....

So is also the word for heaven.. It is used for heaven cos heaven is considered a natural place where the divine being dwells.. The divine form of nature where existence came from is SO and that is God.. In Ijaw land and indeed Kalabari, God is not an Object but a divine being . .The Divinity of the divine being is called SO and it is this SO that is termed as WA IYI INGI ( our producer ) or Tamuno ( creator )..
Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 9:57pm On Jul 31, 2015
shota:

You are right. it means our mother. I only explained it in a way you d understand it better than just our mother.. our mother MEANS WA IYI INGI.. but the actual meaning of WA IYINGI was what I explained so you dont see it as female.... I said wa iyingi means the mass of object that produced us .... I explained INGI as either an imaginary mass or a physical mass.. The word INGI is an old Ijaw word and it does not mean mother. It means mass of object.. Mother is IYI INGI... Mass of object that produces... So God is seen as our producer which is WA IYI INGI .. I also explained what IYI means....

So is also the word for heaven.. It is used for heaven cos heaven is considered a natural place where the divine being dwells.. The divine form of nature where existence came from is SO and that is God.. In Ijaw land and indeed Kalabari, God is not an Object but a divine being . .The Divinity of the divine being is called SO and it is this SO that is termed as WA IYI INGI ( our producer ) or Tamuno ( creator )..

Ok. Thank you so very much.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 9:49pm On Aug 21, 2015
delishpot:

You are correct "Wa iyingi" means our mother but not in the sense of Biological mother. It is an abstraction of the protectiveness of a mother for her children. In that sense it means "our supreme protective mother". In the biological sense it would be "wa mine iyingibo".

The name Akasso or A(wome) Kasso, meaning "Supreme Protector" (of the Awome) was not often used in deference. Also note that the name is Awome Kasso and not Awomina Kasso as most people often call. The Awomes were the Ward that subsequently became known as the Kuro-ame.

By the way, the explanation that Shota gave you is just plan wrong. The man does not know what he talks about quite often. He interprets what he hears without really understanding the Kalabari essence of the usage of the words he hears, and so often writes nonsense. Just the other day he wrote that "Benebo" meant someone born on a Friday, which was just ignorant.

While on that do please understand that "So" has several meanings: So means Abode of the gods, and So also means destiny of a person. The meaning is contextual. The creator God is often called "Wa temebo" while Tamuno is a generic. Sometimes Kininyanabo is also used to call God but more often used in the old to call the rulers in Kalabari because they had the power of life and death over people. Yet the term was distinctly used differently from "wa temebo" which was unequivocally God Almighty.
Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 10:08pm On Aug 21, 2015
nayeb:

You are correct "Wa iyingi" means our mother but not in the sense of Biological mother. It is an abstraction of the protectiveness of a mother for her children. In that sense it means "our supreme protective mother". In the biological sense it would be "wa mine iyingibo".

The name Akasso or A(wome) Kasso, meaning "Supreme Protector" (of the Awome) was not often used in deference. Also note that the name is Awome Kasso and not Awomina Kasso as most people often call. The Awomes were the Ward that subsequently became known as the Kuro-ame.

By the way, the explanation that Shota gave you is just plan wrong. The man does not know what he talks about quite often. He interprets what he hears without really understanding the Kalabari essence of the usage of the words he hears, and so often writes nonsense. Just the other day he wrote that "Benebo" meant someone born on a Friday, which was just ignorant.

While on that do please understand that "So" has several meanings: So means Abode of the gods, and So also means destiny of a person. The meaning is contextual. The creator God is often called "Wa temebo" while Tamuno is a generic. Sometimes Kininyanabo is also used to call God but more often used in the old to call the rulers in Kalabari because they had the power of life and death over people. Yet the term was distinctly used differently from "wa temebo" which was unequivocally God Almighty.

Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I can guess the difference between Sonate and Isoboye.
Thanks once again.
Do the kalabaris still worship wayingi?
Re: Kalabari People! by shota(m): 5:58am On Aug 23, 2015
nayeb:

Chief Benibo has come with his wrong views again..

Aka- so is the word and it is just like OGI-SO or Ogi na so.. AKA SO means AKA the deity.. AKA the deity was worshiped by the AWO AME Ijaws.. The AWO AME are also known as the Koro ame. They own or brought the worshiping of AKASO hence AWO AME AKASO and not A any other way.... You should also know that the Kalabari word WA is a corruption of the word WO which is the proper Ijaw word for we and us.. WO TEME OWEI or WO TEME NU BO became TEMENU and then TAMUNO ...

Alabo Benibo please come join us in our Ijaw language clinic where we are analyzing all the Ijaw dialects to get the original words.

https://www./416148448504253/
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 4:41pm On Aug 27, 2015
delishpot:

Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I can guess the difference between Sonate and Isoboye.
Thanks once again.
Do the kalabaris still worship wayingi?

You are welcome! I try to help when I can, as our culture is getting mangled and misinterpreted these days because the people at home do not care to learn it or even attend school any more, and besides, the culture is no longer even taught in the schools these days.

The wa yingi is not really worshipped any more as in the olden days. The last High Priest or So Alabo (in Kalabari) of the Awome bloodline that ministered to the affairs of the wa yingi was my great great grandfather, So Alabo Akoko, who was also the elder brother of Chief Dokubo Horsfall (aka Omekwe). She actually returned to wherever she came from (as the legend goes) sometime soon after the Kalabari people had relocated and settled at Old Shipping (also known as Elem Ama or Iwo Kalabari -Elem Kalabari was Obu amafor). Supposedly she left long before even Amakoromo (or Amakiri as he was known) took shelter in the Royal House of Kininyanabo Daba. The Oru Kuro-ereme of Buguma tend to act as if they worship the wa yingi, but they do not even know what the heck they do most times. They operate out of ignorance.

Good that you can now tell the meanings of Sonate where So in this word about the heavens (used as a synonym for "God" in deference as not to use the actual name); then of course, the meaning of Isoboye where the So in this word as used means the destiny of the father.

Finally as I had written previously, that shota fellow has no idea what he writes about most of the time. Consider for instance that there is no real Kalabari word as "Benibo" spelled with an "i"; rather the word is Benebo derived from the name "Feninbe ene" and a woman born on Feninbe ene is called "Be ene" but truncated to Bene and a man born on Feninbe ene is called "Be ene bo" also truncated to Benebo. Only people who are not informed of the origin of the name write it as Benibo. Well I need no longer advise you of the writing of Shota, he betrays himself.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 5:08pm On Aug 27, 2015
shota:

Chief Benibo has come with his wrong views again..

Aka- so is the word and it is just like OGI-SO or Ogi na so.. AKA SO means AKA the deity.. AKA the deity was worshiped by the AWO AME Ijaws.. The AWO AME are also known as the Koro ame. They own or brought the worshiping of AKASO hence AWO AME AKASO and not A any other way.... You should also know that the Kalabari word WA is a corruption of the word WO which is the proper Ijaw word for we and us.. WO TEME OWEI or WO TEME NU BO became TEMENU and then TAMUNO ...

Alabo Benibo please come join us in our Ijaw language clinic where we are analyzing all the Ijaw dialects to get the original words.

https://www./416148448504253/

Really, I have no idea when this your stupidity will end. I am bloodline descendant of the Awome family which joined the Kalabari family sometime between 1090 and 1100; and I am also bloodline descendant of Prince Awo who was born at about 1761/62 into the Kalabari family, and yet you parade your stupidity that Awome is Awo ame. You see that is what happens to people who do not know the history but try to interpret the little they have instead of doing research. First of all Awome is pronounced (A wor me as in or which reflects a diacritical mark beneath the 'o') and Awo as in Prince Awo is pronounced (A woo as the O in Orange which indicates the absence of a diacritical mark beneath the 'o'). Really were you truly of Kalabari origin you would have understood the differences, but you are not; so you continue to bumble around and deceive yourself into thinking as truly performing some service.

Now get this into your head, what you call the Kalabari language is the Kalabari language, formed mostly from the language of the Awome, who originated from the Congo basin where the language was in its purest form known as the Kwa Language. For instance, Omongibo is not the correct word, rather it is Omongigbo, Tubo is actually Tugbo, and Jumo which used to be Jubo is actually Jugbo. These words are found in the Kwa language and not in the Ijaw language. Eighty percent of the Kalabari language is of Kwa origin brought by the Awome family. Because the "g" of the "gbo" is often pronounced in the throat, the concept of diacritical marks were introduced to account for its effects while dropping the "g" altogether. That would mean that Awome would actually be spelled Awgbome, but you would not know that as you are of Igbo origin and so can only interpret the Kalabari words.

And you dare to suggest that I a bloodline descendant of the Kalabari founding two-wards (Ende-ame and Kuro-ame) should come and rub shoulders with reef-rafts as you, discussing Kalabari. You are so insolent and don't even know it -what Stupid Punk-ass kid you are
Re: Kalabari People! by delishpot: 9:56pm On Aug 27, 2015
nayeb:

You are welcome! I try to help when I can, as our culture is getting mangled and misinterpreted these days because the people at home do not care to learn it or even attend school any more, and besides, the culture is no longer even taught in the schools these days.

The wa yingi is not really worshipped any more as in the olden days. The last High Priest or So Alabo (in Kalabari) of the Awome bloodline that ministered to the affairs of the wa yingi was my great great grandfather, So Alabo Akoko, who was also the elder brother of Chief Dokubo Horsfall (aka Omekwe). She actually returned to wherever she came from (as the legend goes) sometime soon after the Kalabari people had relocated and settled at Old Shipping (also known as Elem Ama or Iwo Kalabari -Elem Kalabari was Obu amafor). Supposedly she left long before even Amakoromo (or Amakiri as he was known) took shelter in the Royal House of Kininyanabo Daba. The Oru Kuro-ereme of Buguma tend to act as if they worship the wa yingi, but they do not even know what the heck they do most times. They operate out of ignorance.

Good that you can now tell the meanings of Sonate where So in this word about the heavens (used as a synonym for "God" in deference as not to use the actual name); then of course, the meaning of Isoboye where the So in this word as used means the destiny of the father.

Finally as I had written previously, that shota fellow has no idea what he writes about most of the time. Consider for instance that there is no real Kalabari word as "Benibo" spelled with an "i"; rather the word is Benebo derived from the name "Feninbe ene" and a woman born on Feninbe ene is called "Be ene" but truncated to Bene and a man born on Feninbe ene is called "Be ene bo" also truncated to Benebo. Only people who are not informed of the origin of the name write it as Benibo. Well I need no longer advise you of the writing of Shota, he betrays himself.

Cheiii! You make me miss home. This your write up brought tears to my eyes. Made me remember Abonnema as a young child with mom, dad and my sibblings home for christmas and new year celebrations. How time flies and how seasonS change. The hammatarn breeze in the morning as we bathe outside. Wow.Thank you so very very much. My interest in traditional African religion made me ask about wayingi as a child I heard a lot about her from my mom. Though some claim she was a white woman and not a godess I never really saw or met anyone who has better or clearer information about her appearance and when she left.
Re: Kalabari People! by torusoeri(m): 4:38am On Aug 28, 2015
nayeb:

Really, I have no idea when this your stupidity will end. I am bloodline descendant of the Awome family which joined the Kalabari family sometime between 1090 and 1100; and I am also bloodline descendant of Prince Awo who was born at about 1761/62 into the Kalabari family, and yet you parade your stupidity that Awome is Awo ame. You see that is what happens to people who do not know the history but try to interpret the little they have instead of doing research. First of all Awome is pronounced (A wor me as in or which reflects a diacritical mark beneath the 'o') and Awo as in Prince Awo is pronounced (A woo as the O in Orange which indicates the absence of a diacritical mark beneath the 'o'). Really were you truly of Kalabari origin you would have understood the differences, but you are not; so you continue to bumble around and deceive yourself into thinking as truly performing some service.

Now get this into your head, what you call the Kalabari language is the Kalabari language, formed mostly from the language of the Awome, who originated from the Congo basin where the language was in its purest form known as the Kwa Language. For instance, Omongibo is not the correct word, rather it is Omongigbo, Tubo is actually Tugbo, and Jumo which used to be Jubo is actually Jugbo. These words are found in the Kwa language and not in the Ijaw language. Eighty percent of the Kalabari language is of Kwa origin brought by the Awome family. Because the "g" of the "gbo" is often pronounced in the throat, the concept of diacritical marks were introduced to account for its effects while dropping the "g" altogether. That would mean that Awome would actually be spelled Awgbome, but you would not know that as you are of Igbo origin and so can only interpret the Kalabari words.

And you dare to suggest that I a bloodline descendant of the Kalabari founding two-wards (Ende-ame and Kuro-ame) should come and rub shoulders with reef-rafts as you, discussing Kalabari. You are so insolent and don't even know it -what Stupid Punk-ass kid you are

1.. Gbo in Kalabari mean to invoke
2. An individual in Kalabari meaan BO not same pronunciation with the BO that is COME.
3. Tombo means person but it is the adulteration of TOM NI BO.. ( Check: Tomini iru-- Palm wine )
4. Omongi means Elder or OLD... hence OMONGI- BO means individual ( bo ) that is Old ( Omongi )-- Old person
5 Tubo is the adulteration of OTU-BO where OTU means Being in Ijaw and BO is individual hence Otubo means individual being . Otubo was adulterated to TUBO
6. Te bo or Te tubo means who or whose individual.. Te is a question in Ijaw... EG Te anga-- Where, Te bara-- How, Te ye-- What
7. Jumo is also an adulteration of Jubo which itself is an adulteration of JE BO where Je means Another in Ijaw and BO is Individual hence Je bo means another individual .... Je Anga-- ANOTHER PLACE.. Je nye-- Another thing.. Je nye bara -- Another method.
8. Awome actually means Children while Awo ame means people of Awo or Group of Awo people where AME in Ijaw means Group
1. Awo means children while AME means group making Awome ( awoame) mean Group of children...
9. Kalabari clan or kingdom speak the same dialect with the Okrika, Ibani, Bille while the same dialect has been heavily distorted in the other Ijaw clans... The distortion is due to the mixture of Isoko, Urhobo, Edo and even Yoruba languages.
10. Minama, Ke, Bille, Ifoko, Sangama, Oporoama, Soku, Kula, Ekulema, Krakrama, Oloma, Nyakpo ( Tombia and Finima ) have been several different Ijaw clans that have been speaking the same dialect till now .. That same dialect is the same Kalabari Dialect of today.
11. The first people to use the word Kalabari AS an Identity were the KORO AME Ijaws.. Their origin have not been told but I know.. We have to skip it for next lecture.. They were the natives of modern Calabar and the word CALABAR is KALABARI documented as Calabar By the Portuguese.. In Portuguese there is no K and the last R consonant is pronounced to give the Ri sound where C would be the K sound to make it KALABAR and pronouncing the last R to make it the KALABARI sound..
12. The Efiks were their neighbor and the Efik town of Atakpa was the town closest to them..
13. tHE LEFT the place during the Dutch rule due to slavery cos the Dutch decided to enslave the people instead of the normal Igbos the Portuguese took.. Their leader Owuere ye daba was the slave master that controlled the River Calabar where he met the AROCHUKWU Igbos at the mouth of the river.. It was in his days Kalabari PEOPLE used to go to Arochukwu which they called SUKU..
14 .They abandoned the place in the 1640s and the Efik people moved in taking alond with them their Obong..
15. The Koro ame were so called cos their ancestor was named OPU KOROYE.. In Andoni history they claim the Opukoroye WAS an Andoni man.. This was when the Andonis were speaking Pure Ijaw dialect also called Defaka.
16. The Koro ame dispersed to different places when they Abandoned Calabar. It is this history the Bille people are using to say Kalabari people are Calabar people that came to their region..
17. Some of the Koro ame ended up in Okoloma while the rest mobved with Owuere ye daba to Torusarama piri
18. Torusarama piri was a fishing port of KE people. It was a KE ANGA BE AMA..
19. Anga be ama means territory in the Ke and Bille dialect.. The Territory of Bille is called Bille anga be ama and that of Ke is Ke anga be ama.. It is this Ke anga be ama that transformed to Kengema and it was referred to the settlement of Torusarama piri.
20. In Torusarama piri different Ijaw people lived like the Ifoko, Minama, Oloma, Bille, Tombians and others from far away . They lived just along their various sections and it was not a one group settlement. It was a settlement where the people were scattered apart.
21. When the Koro ame came there , they were more civilized than the rest so they easily influenced the rest
22. They brought their own deity ( Amatemeso ) which they called AKASO... Mind you Oginaso was the deity of the Abisse and Oloma Ijaws.. So means divinity .
23. While they were there in Torusarama piri, The Okrikans invaded them and destroyed more than half of the Koro ame section.
24. That Okrika invasion was what made the people decide to form a united group. They formed that group and wanted a leader which they could not get from the Koro ame cos the child of the dead Koroame leader was too young and his mother did not want him to be in that position.. So an elder from the Koroame came out who was not accepted by the settlers.
25.. Meanwhile at another section called the Endeame, some one has been chosen to represent them and he was AMAKIRI..

26. Amakiri was an adopted child of the Ende ame leader .
27.. It was agreed that Amakiri and the Koro ame elder would have to do a gladiator kind of fight for the winner to become the leader of the community. Amakiri won and so Amakiri became the first leader of the united settlement....

28.. Amakiri then changed the name of the settlement from Torusarama piri to KALABARI . Perhaps because the Ende ame were also children of Perebo ye KALABARI who was the ancestor of the Opukorye koro ame people.
29. That settlement became known as KALABARI town and the solgan.. Ke anga be ama Kalabari became popular.

30.. Amakiri then went on to defend the rest of the Ijaw nearby settlements against NINI KON APU--
31.. NINI KON APU means raiders of people or kidnappers of people for either slavery purpose or even for food.. And the Bille people and Okrika people were the main NINI KON APU back then.
32.. Its was in that process King Amakiri brought those settlements under his rule and KALABARI became a large kingdom ALL SPEAKING the same DIALECT which is still the dialect of TODAY..

33.. It was the Kalabari CIVIL WAR that led to the splitting of Ifoko and eventual abandoning of the ancient Ifoko
34. It was the onslaught of Bille people that made Oporoama abandon its ancient settlement and became Sama and Oporoama today.
35. It was cos of Bille onslaught that a good number of the Sangama people which was founded by the Koroame to move to Buguma to become Jackrich. Sangama was under the control of JACK THE RICH..
36. The same Koro ame Ijaws founded Sangama in Bonny today.
37. Abalama people came from ancient Abalama in Bonny today and ABALAMABIE in Bonny is the second half of the same Abalama in Kalabari kingdom
38. The Aki ala Ijaws of Elem ama ( Torusarama piri ) were parts of the Oloma Ijaws of Abisse that fled due to Bille Onslaught.. The bulk of them went to Oloma town which is in Bonny today . Oloma was not mysteriously destroyed by fire as told by some people.. Fire destruction would not let a people run away. It was due to Bille onslaught ..
39. The bulk of Elem KALABARI Ijaws were from KE..

.This is from Modern day research. You are free to ask any question. And please be constructive if you want to criticize ..

Please There is no Ijaw family or ancestral land in Congo..
Re: Kalabari People! by pazienza(m): 3:44pm On Aug 28, 2015
This was supposed to be a Kalabari thread, yet I see Igbo being thrown around here, in a derogatory way.

Do you people want this thread derailed, cos I am more than capable of doing that.

You lots should face your history and leave the Igbo out of it.

Dalu kwanu.
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 5:33pm On Aug 28, 2015
torusoeri:

1.. Gbo in Kalabari mean to invoke
2. An individual in Kalabari meaan BO not same pronunciation with the BO that is COME.
3. Tombo means person but it is the adulteration of TOM NI BO.. ( Check: Tomini iru-- Palm wine )
4. Omongi means Elder or OLD... hence OMONGI- BO means individual ( bo ) that is Old ( Omongi )-- Old person
5 Tubo is the adulteration of OTU-BO where OTU means Being in Ijaw and BO is individual hence Otubo means individual being . Otubo was adulterated to TUBO
6. Te bo or Te tubo means who or whose individual.. Te is a question in Ijaw... EG Te anga-- Where, Te bara-- How, Te ye-- What
7. Jumo is also an adulteration of Jubo which itself is an adulteration of JE BO where Je means Another in Ijaw and BO is Individual hence Je bo means another individual .... Je Anga-- ANOTHER PLACE.. Je nye-- Another thing.. Je nye bara -- Another method.
8. Awome actually means Children while Awo ame means people of Awo or Group of Awo people where AME in Ijaw means Group
1. Awo means children while AME means group making Awome ( awoame) mean Group of children...
9. Kalabari clan or kingdom speak the same dialect with the Okrika, Ibani, Bille while the same dialect has been heavily distorted in the other Ijaw clans... The distortion is due to the mixture of Isoko, Urhobo, Edo and even Yoruba languages.
10. Minama, Ke, Bille, Ifoko, Sangama, Oporoama, Soku, Kula, Ekulema, Krakrama, Oloma, Nyakpo ( Tombia and Finima ) have been several different Ijaw clans that have been speaking the same dialect till now .. That same dialect is the same Kalabari Dialect of today.
11. The first people to use the word Kalabari AS an Identity were the KORO AME Ijaws.. Their origin have not been told but I know.. We have to skip it for next lecture.. They were the natives of modern Calabar and the word CALABAR is KALABARI documented as Calabar By the Portuguese.. In Portuguese there is no K and the last R consonant is pronounced to give the Ri sound where C would be the K sound to make it KALABAR and pronouncing the last R to make it the KALABARI sound..
12. The Efiks were their neighbor and the Efik town of Atakpa was the town closest to them..
13. tHE LEFT the place during the Dutch rule due to slavery cos the Dutch decided to enslave the people instead of the normal Igbos the Portuguese took.. Their leader Owuere ye daba was the slave master that controlled the River Calabar where he met the AROCHUKWU Igbos at the mouth of the river.. It was in his days Kalabari PEOPLE used to go to Arochukwu which they called SUKU..
14 .They abandoned the place in the 1640s and the Efik people moved in taking alond with them their Obong..
15. The Koro ame were so called cos their ancestor was named OPU KOROYE.. In Andoni history they claim the Opukoroye WAS an Andoni man.. This was when the Andonis were speaking Pure Ijaw dialect also called Defaka.
16. The Koro ame dispersed to different places when they Abandoned Calabar. It is this history the Bille people are using to say Kalabari people are Calabar people that came to their region..
17. Some of the Koro ame ended up in Okoloma while the rest mobved with Owuere ye daba to Torusarama piri
18. Torusarama piri was a fishing port of KE people. It was a KE ANGA BE AMA..
19. Anga be ama means territory in the Ke and Bille dialect.. The Territory of Bille is called Bille anga be ama and that of Ke is Ke anga be ama.. It is this Ke anga be ama that transformed to Kengema and it was referred to the settlement of Torusarama piri.
20. In Torusarama piri different Ijaw people lived like the Ifoko, Minama, Oloma, Bille, Tombians and others from far away . They lived just along their various sections and it was not a one group settlement. It was a settlement where the people were scattered apart.
21. When the Koro ame came there , they were more civilized than the rest so they easily influenced the rest
22. They brought their own deity ( Amatemeso ) which they called AKASO... Mind you Oginaso was the deity of the Abisse and Oloma Ijaws.. So means divinity .
23. While they were there in Torusarama piri, The Okrikans invaded them and destroyed more than half of the Koro ame section.
24. That Okrika invasion was what made the people decide to form a united group. They formed that group and wanted a leader which they could not get from the Koro ame cos the child of the dead Koroame leader was too young and his mother did not want him to be in that position.. So an elder from the Koroame came out who was not accepted by the settlers.
25.. Meanwhile at another section called the Endeame, some one has been chosen to represent them and he was AMAKIRI..

26. Amakiri was an adopted child of the Ende ame leader .
27.. It was agreed that Amakiri and the Koro ame elder would have to do a gladiator kind of fight for the winner to become the leader of the community. Amakiri won and so Amakiri became the first leader of the united settlement....

28.. Amakiri then changed the name of the settlement from Torusarama piri to KALABARI . Perhaps because the Ende ame were also children of Perebo ye KALABARI who was the ancestor of the Opukorye koro ame people.
29. That settlement became known as KALABARI town and the solgan.. Ke anga be ama Kalabari became popular.

30.. Amakiri then went on to defend the rest of the Ijaw nearby settlements against NINI KON APU--
31.. NINI KON APU means raiders of people or kidnappers of people for either slavery purpose or even for food.. And the Bille people and Okrika people were the main NINI KON APU back then.
32.. Its was in that process King Amakiri brought those settlements under his rule and KALABARI became a large kingdom ALL SPEAKING the same DIALECT which is still the dialect of TODAY..

33.. It was the Kalabari CIVIL WAR that led to the splitting of Ifoko and eventual abandoning of the ancient Ifoko
34. It was the onslaught of Bille people that made Oporoama abandon its ancient settlement and became Sama and Oporoama today.
35. It was cos of Bille onslaught that a good number of the Sangama people which was founded by the Koroame to move to Buguma to become Jackrich. Sangama was under the control of JACK THE RICH..
36. The same Koro ame Ijaws founded Sangama in Bonny today.
37. Abalama people came from ancient Abalama in Bonny today and ABALAMABIE in Bonny is the second half of the same Abalama in Kalabari kingdom
38. The Aki ala Ijaws of Elem ama ( Torusarama piri ) were parts of the Oloma Ijaws of Abisse that fled due to Bille Onslaught.. The bulk of them went to Oloma town which is in Bonny today . Oloma was not mysteriously destroyed by fire as told by some people.. Fire destruction would not let a people run away. It was due to Bille onslaught ..
39. The bulk of Elem KALABARI Ijaws were from KE..

.This is from Modern day research. You are free to ask any question. And please be constructive if you want to criticize ..

Please There is no Ijaw family or ancestral land in Congo..

I am free to ask questions -you suggest? Are you serious? I am a child of Kalabari and of Awome and you are not, and you think I should have questions to ask you on this gibberish you have written? Really? When I say to you that "I am child of Kalabari and of awome the implication is that I was raised in families that own the language, and therefore being taught the language properly, and also challenging you to assert that you are in fact as qualified to speak about the language or the origin.

Obviously you are fishing for information; now while I would prove you wrong in just about everything, I will still not disclose any information to you.

First of all, your statements of #1-7 betrays you as not intelligent. Consider that I wrote about the etymology of the language, to assert to you about the origin of the migration of the Awome and you are talking about modern day meaning of words. Again consider, did I even use the "gbo" as a standalone word? Do please recognize I used it as a syllable. Do you understand the concept of a syllable within a word? Does 'Gbo' the standalone word has the same phonetic sound as 'gbo' the syllable? Does Omongibo being an elder person take away from the etymology of being spelled as Omongigbo? Rational thinking escapes you. By the way if Tubo is adulterated from Otubo, then what did Atubo get adulterated into? Here is another, if Jubo is an adulterated word from Je bo then why is the name of King Jaja spelled as "Jugbo jugbo aa"?

Now to #8: First do get it into your head: Awome my family name is pronounce with long 'a' as in "aaa wo me" while the other word is pronounced with short 'a' as "a wome" though they both have the diacritical marks below the 'o'; but they are two different words. Also awome does not mean children, because children are human beings, yet the Kalabari people also say "Obiri awome" and obiri is not human being. Again you display your ignorance. By inference then Awome is not the same as Awoame. Awo does not have the diacritical mark under the 'o'. Another ignorance you show well, "ame" does not mean group, but I am also not telling you what it means.

Now onto #11 -#21: Kalabari was once known as Awome Kalabari and then known as Kengema Kalabari from when Kininyanabo Akeamaoloye ruled. It was called Awome Kalabari when King Awome, the first Bantu King of Kalabari ruled. Interestingly Awome was the grandfather of Opukuroye who was the grandfather of Owerre Daba, who was the great grandfather of So-alabo Akoko of whom I am a descendant. Now you were saying Opukuroye was an Andoni man? If so how was it that he was the grandchild of King Awome who was already in Elemu Kalabari? king Owerre Daba was ruling Kalabari even before the Portuguese met him at Old Shipping (Iwo Kalabari) in late 1599 -this is a written record of the Portuguese. You say the Koro-ame vacated the land of Calabar in the 1640s, but King Owerre Daba was already dead by 1640s, and Akeamaoloye's father Mgbessa was ruling Kalabari by then.

Finally one more lie you tell freely: The Koro ame had vacated the land and the Obong of Calabar had moved in to take over the land. The problem with this your lie is that Opukuroye was never in Bantu-land, and the Bantu Community near Duketown is still there. Awome and his people left but the Bantu community still exists till today. The Bantus migrated from Congo Basin and settled there.

Do go find out for yourself that King Owerre Daba told the Portuguese that his family group came from a community near Duketown. That Old Shipping was the new location of Kalabari, and that they moved from Obu amafor called Old Kalabari.

Now onto #22: Amatemeso was never the Awome Kasso. The Kalabari family had its own deity, and the Kuro-ame had its own deity. Goes to show your level ignorance.

Now onto #26: Nobody had even adopted Amakiri. Osimini Alali openly and publicly called him a "slave"; and the younger sister of Osimini named Gbana also came out into the public and called him a Slave, and challenged him to prove to the contrary that he was not a slave which he never could prove. By the way, Gbana gave birth to Ikoru who became the mother of Awoye Kio (aka Odum). Amakiri was a slave of the Kalabari family and was never adopted by any Kalabari child. He was never even allowed to Naturalize as Kalabari, so shut the hell up.

Regarding the word Kengema, started to be used from the reign of King Akeamaoloye, I will only say this to you, "go and review my recent profile in life, and you will realize that "a kengema te" Now go figure why Kengema is associated with Kininyanabo Akeamaoloye

I am going to stop here and not write anymore because your level stupidity, given the mounds of records in the oxford University Archives about Kalabari, I waste my time.
Re: Kalabari People! by torusoeri(m): 5:20am On Aug 29, 2015
nayeb:

I am free to ask questions -you suggest? Are you serious? I am a child of Kalabari and of Awome and you are not, and you think I should have questions to ask you on this gibberish you have written? Really? When I say to you that "I am child of Kalabari and of awome the implication is that I was raised in families that own the language, and therefore being taught the language properly, and also challenging you to assert that you are in fact as qualified to speak about the language or the origin.

Obviously you are fishing for information; now while I would prove you wrong in just about everything, I will still not disclose any information to you.

First of all, your statements of #1-7 betrays you as not intelligent. Consider that I wrote about the etymology of the language, to assert to you about the origin of the migration of the Awome and you are talking about modern day meaning of words. Again consider, did I even use the "gbo" as a standalone word? Do please recognize I used it as a syllable. Do you understand the concept of a syllable within a word? Does 'Gbo' the standalone word has the same phonetic sound as 'gbo' the syllable? Does Omongibo being an elder person take away from the etymology of being spelled as Omongigbo? Rational thinking escapes you. By the way if Tubo is adulterated from Otubo, then what did Atubo get adulterated into? Here is another, if Jubo is an adulterated word from Je bo then why is the name of King Jaja spelled as "Jugbo jugbo aa"?

Now to #8: First do get it into your head: Awome my family name is pronounce with long 'a' as in "aaa wo me" while the other word is pronounced with short 'a' as "a wome" though they both have the diacritical marks below the 'o'; but they are two different words. Also awome does not mean children, because children are human beings, yet the Kalabari people also say "Obiri awome" and obiri is not human being. Again you display your ignorance. By inference then Awome is not the same as Awoame. Awo does not have the diacritical mark under the 'o'. Another ignorance you show well, "ame" does not mean group, but I am also not telling you what it means.

Now onto #11 -#21: Kalabari was once known as Awome Kalabari and then known as Kengema Kalabari from when Kininyanabo Akeamaoloye ruled. It was called Awome Kalabari when King Awome, the first Bantu King of Kalabari ruled. Interestingly Awome was the grandfather of Opukuroye who was the grandfather of Owerre Daba, who was the great grandfather of So-alabo Akoko of whom I am a descendant. Now you were saying Opukuroye was an Andoni man? If so how was it that he was the grandchild of King Awome who was already in Elemu Kalabari? king Owerre Daba was ruling Kalabari even before the Portuguese met him at Old Shipping (Iwo Kalabari) in late 1599 -this is a written record of the Portuguese. You say the Koro-ame vacated the land of Calabar in the 1640s, but King Owerre Daba was already dead by 1640s, and Akeamaoloye's father Mgbessa was ruling Kalabari by then.

Finally one more lie you tell freely: The Koro ame had vacated the land and the Obong of Calabar had moved in to take over the land. The problem with this your lie is that Opukuroye was never in Bantu-land, and the Bantu Community near Duketown is still there. Awome and his people left but the Bantu community still exists till today. The Bantus migrated from Congo Basin and settled there.

Do go find out for yourself that King Owerre Daba told the Portuguese that his family group came from a community near Duketown. That Old Shipping was the new location of Kalabari, and that they moved from Obu amafor called Old Kalabari.

Now onto #22: Amatemeso was never the Awome Kasso. The Kalabari family had its own deity, and the Kuro-ame had its own deity. Goes to show your level ignorance.

Now onto #26: Nobody had even adopted Amakiri. Osimini Alali openly and publicly called him a "slave"; and the younger sister of Osimini named Gbana also came out into the public and called him a Slave, and challenged him to prove to the contrary that he was not a slave which he never could prove. By the way, Gbana gave birth to Ikoru who became the mother of Awoye Kio (aka Odum). Amakiri was a slave of the Kalabari family and was never adopted by any Kalabari child. He was never even allowed to Naturalize as Kalabari, so shut the hell up.

Regarding the word Kengema, started to be used from the reign of King Akeamaoloye, I will only say this to you, "go and review my recent profile in life, and you will realize that "a kengema te" Now go figure why Kengema is associated with Kininyanabo Akeamaoloye

I am going to stop here and not write anymore because your level stupidity, given the mounds of records in the oxford University Archives about Kalabari, I waste my time.

Do I need to respond to you or simply let Kalabari people laugh at you ?

Listen, Opobo was founded when the people have already lost their Ibani dialect. So the Jugbojugbo agha is not correct. .. I have explained to you that Bo is not Gbo cos Gbo in Kalabari means Invoke or summon ...
I am tired of teaching you..
Please tell me the dialect of Kula, Oporoama, Ke, Minama, Ifoko, Sangama, Akia ala, Igodo ame, Buko ame , Idama , Tombia and Bille...
Why do the speak the same dialect ?
Mind you the AWOAME ( Koroame ) can not lay claim to land in the present Kalabari KINGDOM Apart from Sangama owned by my ancestors where my Maternal grand mother's dad was the King as a Jackrich of the KOROAME ..

Amatemeso simply mean deity.. Yes the Koroame has its own called AKASO and the the amatemeso of the AKIALA group is OGINA SO.. The other groups have their own Ametemso also.

Owuere yedaba came from a community near Duketown.. I have explained this but cos you are just one daft man you could not understand.. Duketown was known as ATAKPA and the Owuere ye daba town near duke town was what is called Kalabari town that was documented as CALABAR.. The efiks moved their Obong from Duke town to Calabar when the Koroame left it.

There is no other meaning of kengema apart from what I wrote about Kengema.. It is not associated with any person but simply Ke Anga be Ama Kalabari...
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 4:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
torusoeri:

Do I need to respond to you or simply let Kalabari people laugh at you ?

Listen, Opobo was founded when the people have already lost their Ibani dialect. So the Jugbojugbo agha is not correct. .. I have explained to you that Bo is not Gbo cos Gbo in Kalabari means Invoke or summon ...
I am tired of teaching you..
Please tell me the dialect of Kula, Oporoama, Ke, Minama, Ifoko, Sangama, Akia ala, Igodo ame, Buko ame , Idama , Tombia and Bille...
Why do the speak the same dialect ?
Mind you the AWOAME ( Koroame ) can not lay claim to land in the present Kalabari KINGDOM Apart from Sangama owned by my ancestors where my Maternal grand mother's dad was the King as a Jackrich of the KOROAME ..

Amatemeso simply mean deity.. Yes the Koroame has its own called AKASO and the the amatemeso of the AKIALA group is OGINA SO.. The other groups have their own Ametemso also.

Owuere yedaba came from a community near Duketown.. I have explained this but cos you are just one daft man you could not understand.. Duketown was known as ATAKPA and the Owuere ye daba town near duke town was what is called Kalabari town that was documented as CALABAR.. The efiks moved their Obong from Duke town to Calabar when the Koroame left it.

There is no other meaning of kengema apart from what I wrote about Kengema.. It is not associated with any person but simply Ke Anga be Ama Kalabari...

So you say that in Kalabari "Gbo" means invoke or summon; yet,
(1) the statement "a 'o gbola mo" in reality means "I salute you" but literary means "I ask you all" being derivative of "o bate" which is a sentential question.
(2) the statement " 'i o gbola te" means "have you asked him"
Now in both cases the letters group "gbo" is use as a syllable in the word "gbola" and which has different meaning in each case, and the meanings are different from invoke or summon. I hope that you have learned about the concept of syllable.

Shame that you are so uneducated, and yet want to present yourself as educated. Now who is daft?

I will now write some statements I used to make as a boy at play, to further show you up as the daft and ignorant person that you are; and this time I will not give you any explanations:
(1) "Ani kengema"
(2) "Aniye kengeama"
(3) "A kengema te"
This is just to illustrate to you that Kengema has many meanings, the usage of which you have even admitted to being ignorant of.

Shame that you are so uneducated as to not understand the word "reflexively". Calabar was called Calabar reflexively, but that you can not understand. Now let me show you up once again: The record of the Portuguese has the Longitude and Latitude of the location in which they met with Owerre Daba, and the location record is not on Calabar but on New Calabar also known as Old Shipping - it was called New Calabar because Owerre Daba told them that this was their new location, or New Kalabari (Iwo Kalabari). In those days as now, all locations were marked with the Longitude and Latitude of the place. Even till today, properties in the Cities of the Western World are marked in Longitude and Latitude relative to a reference point. But you would not know that as you are uninformed of rational standard just as you are all about Kalabari. Owerre Daba was never in Calabar, because he was born in Old Shipping. When you get to understand reflexively then you will understand, the use of Calabar.

A little education, and a little research on record keeping, and you would have been aware of the use by Merchant Ships of Longitude and Latitude in marking off geographical locations.

Don't you have any friends from Ke or Minaama? Ask any of them and they will speak their language for you. I told you;, you were fishing for information? I am, of course, not about to give you any; really you should try working for it. You are indeed a very lazy brain.

Now look at who is tired of teaching anything.

Quite shameful you choose to display your ignorance with such boast instead of asking someone in your family about these things before you come out to write. Then, of course, there is most likely no one in your family of my intelligence and knowledge, who can set you straight, hence you have no choice but to parade your ignorance with such pride, while acting out an indictment of your family.

You know, Tom Alabaraba, you are an ass. BTW what does the "baraba" mean in your surname? I dare you, you do not know the answer.
Re: Kalabari People! by torusoeri(m): 7:28pm On Aug 29, 2015
nayeb:

So you say that in Kalabari "Gbo" means invoke or summon; yet,
(1) the statement "a 'o gbola mo" in reality means "I salute you" but literary means "I ask you all" being derivative of "o bate" which is a sentential question.
(2) the statement " 'i o gbola te" means "have you asked him"
Now in both cases the letters group "gbo" is use as a syllable in the word "gbola" and which has different meaning in each case, and the meanings are different from invoke or summon. I hope that you have learned about the concept of syllable.

Shame that you are so uneducated, and yet want to present yourself as educated. Now who is daft?

I will now write some statements I used to make as a boy at play, to further show you up as the daft and ignorant person that you are; and this time I will not give you any explanations:
(1) "Ani kengema"
(2) "Aniye kengeama"
(3) "A kengema te"
This is just to illustrate to you that Kengema has many meanings, the usage of which you have even admitted to being ignorant of.

Shame that you are so uneducated as to not understand the word "reflexively". Calabar was called Calabar reflexively, but that you can not understand. Now let me show you up once again: The record of the Portuguese has the Longitude and Latitude of the location in which they met with Owerre Daba, and the location record is not on Calabar but on New Calabar also known as Old Shipping - it was called New Calabar because Owerre Daba told them that this was their new location, or New Kalabari (Iwo Kalabari). In those days as now, all locations were marked with the Longitude and Latitude of the place. Even till today, properties in the Cities of the Western World are marked in Longitude and Latitude relative to a reference point. But you would not know that as you are uninformed of rational standard just as you are all about Kalabari. Owerre Daba was never in Calabar, because he was born in Old Shipping. When you get to understand reflexively then you will understand, the use of Calabar.

A little education, and a little research on record keeping, and you would have been aware of the use by Merchant Ships of Longitude and Latitude in marking off geographical locations.

Don't you have any friends from Ke or Minaama? Ask any of them and they will speak their language for you. I told you;, you were fishing for information? I am, of course, not about to give you any; really you should try working for it. You are indeed a very lazy brain.

Now look at who is tired of teaching anything.

Quite shameful you choose to display your ignorance with such boast instead of asking someone in your family about these things before you come out to write. Then, of course, there is most likely no one in your family of my intelligence and knowledge, who can set you straight, hence you have no choice but to parade your ignorance with such pride, while acting out an indictment of your family.

You know, Tom Alabaraba, you are an ass. BTW what does the "baraba" mean in your surname? I dare you, you do not know the answer.

If you really know the English meaning of ask you d know that Gbola is just as good as ask.. ASK some one means to Query the person or to summon the person to answer accusations. Gbo-la means to ask as in to summon the person to answer ...

Ani kengema means do not crack it .. In this case Kengema is not a word but a phrase.. Just as KE ANGE BE AMA is a sentence... Kengema means do not crack it where Kenge means to crack .

And this is not Tom Alabraba so stop dreaming.

what language or dialect were the people of Torusarama piri speaking when Owuere ye daba and his Koroame people arrived ? And what language or dialect is TORUSARAMA PIRI ? Since you are saying Owuere ye daba people are the true KALABARI that own the language Kalabari .. Tell the world what language the AKI ALA AME and the Ende ame and the rest were speaking ?
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 9:25pm On Aug 29, 2015
torusoeri:

If you really know the English meaning of ask you d know that Gbola is just as good as ask.. ASK some one means to Query the person or to summon the person to answer accusations. Gbo-la means to ask as in to summon the person to answer ...

Ani kengema means do not crack it .. In this case Kengema is not a word but a phrase.. Just as KE ANGE BE AMA is a sentence... Kengema means do not crack it where Kenge means to crack .

And this is not Tom Alabraba so stop dreaming.

what language or dialect were the people of Torusarama piri speaking when Owuere ye daba and his Koroame people arrived ? And what language or dialect is TORUSARAMA PIRI ? Since you are saying Owuere ye daba people are the true KALABARI that own the language Kalabari .. Tell the world what language the AKI ALA AME and the Ende ame and the rest were speaking ?

I see that you do not know the Kalabari word that is used to demand an answer which entails summon or command. I will also not tell you. As I have been saying you are fishing for information.

Though you have made a valiant attempt to address the usage of "gbo" as a syllable in gbola, you completely skipped the usage in the syllable of "I salute you" I guess you fall flat on your face there right?

BTW, Kengema does not mean crack it. Crack it is "ani ba" as in "apapa ba" or "ibin ba". You may want to try again. But what about the usage in "Aniye kengemam" and " a kengema te"? I guess you fall flat on your face there as well right?

Apparently, now you have no more issues with King Owerre Daba being met at Old shipping by the Portuguese now that you know you can be shown as ignorant with the matter of the Longitude and Latitude.

Now a lesson for you: Know this Owerre Daba was the grandfather of Kininyanabo Mangi Suku, who ruled from 1702 - 1710. Kininyanabo Igonibo (the first son of Kininyanabo Akeamaoloye) then followed from 1711 - 1720 and forced both Kula and Ke to capitulate to him, and consequentially subordinated their monarchies to him, and thereby became part of the Kalabari Clan. After the capitulation ( I am deliberately holding out some info here) which finalized the forming of the Kalabari Clan, Kininyanabo Igonibo then ordered that the Kalabari language as the lingua franca; and hence everybody spoke the Kalabari language. It was part of the process of forming the Kalabari Ethnic Nationality.

Obviously, it took Kininyanabo Igonibo in about 1713/14 (almost 100+ years after King Owerre Daba had died in early 1600+ s) to force everybody in the Clan to speak the Kalabari language. That Kininyanabo Igonibo would have to order Kalabari as lingua frnca should tell you that they each had their own language, because if everybody already spoke Kalabari, such order would not have been necessary to be issued. Moreover, sometime after that, Ke was made the Center of Trade in the Kalabari Clan, and the Okoloba people, Okirika people and other neighboring traders, including Ijaws, who came to trade there were required to speak and trade in the Kalabari language only, invariably making it the pervasively spoken language.

I hope that you have learned something today. Now what languages the other spoke before then? That you have to research and discover for yourself.

BTW, I have never said the Owerre Daba were the true Kalabari. Never have I said that. I said the Kuro-ame and the Ende-ame own the language, because they developed it amongst them from a combination of the Ijaw and Kwa languages, but the Kalabari language is 80% Kwa language and was brought to Kalabari by the Awome Families -that is what I have said.

Finally whether or not you are Tom Alabaraba, my challenge remains, what does the "baraba"' in the surname mean? I dare to assert that you do not know it.
Re: Kalabari People! by torusoeri(m): 5:19am On Aug 30, 2015
nayeb:

I see that you do not know the Kalabari word that is used to demand an answer which entails summon or command. I will also not tell you. As I have been saying you are fishing for information.

Though you have made a valiant attempt to address the usage of "gbo" as a syllable in gbola, you completely skipped the usage in the syllable of "I salute you" I guess you fall flat on your face there right?

BTW, Kengema does not mean crack it. Crack it is "ani ba" as in "apapa ba" or "ibin ba". You may want to try again. But what about the usage in "Aniye kengemam" and " a kengema te"? I guess you fall flat on your face there as well right?

Apparently, now you have no more issues with King Owerre Daba being met at Old shipping by the Portuguese now that you know you can be shown as ignorant with the matter of the Longitude and Latitude.

Now a lesson for you: Know this Owerre Daba was the grandfather of Kininyanabo Mangi Suku, who ruled from 1702 - 1710. Kininyanabo Igonibo (the first son of Kininyanabo Akeamaoloye) then followed from 1711 - 1720 and forced both Kula and Ke to capitulate to him, and consequentially subordinated their monarchies to him, and thereby became part of the Kalabari Clan. After the capitulation ( I am deliberately holding out some info here) which finalized the forming of the Kalabari Clan, Kininyanabo Igonibo then ordered that the Kalabari language as the lingua franca; and hence everybody spoke the Kalabari language. It was part of the process of forming the Kalabari Ethnic Nationality.

Obviously, it took Kininyanabo Igonibo in about 1713/14 (almost 100+ years after King Owerre Daba had died in early 1600+ s) to force everybody in the Clan to speak the Kalabari language. That Kininyanabo Igonibo would have to order Kalabari as lingua frnca should tell you that they each had their own language, because if everybody already spoke Kalabari, such order would not have been necessary to be issued. Moreover, sometime after that, Ke was made the Center of Trade in the Kalabari Clan, and the Okoloba people, Okirika people and other neighboring traders, including Ijaws, who came to trade there were required to speak and trade in the Kalabari language only, invariably making it the pervasively spoken language.

I hope that you have learned something today. Now what languages the other spoke before then? That you have to research and discover for yourself.

BTW, I have never said the Owerre Daba were the true Kalabari. Never have I said that. I said the Kuro-ame and the Ende-ame own the language, because they developed it amongst them from a combination of the Ijaw and Kwa languages, but the Kalabari language is 80% Kwa language and was brought to Kalabari by the Awome Families -that is what I have said.

Finally whether or not you are Tom Alabaraba, my challenge remains, what does the "baraba"' in the surname mean? I dare to assert that you do not know it.

proper Kalabari for salute is Bii... Kini bii...
kini gbola is to ask after the person..

Kenge is the proper word for crack in Kalabari.. Even when I was a kid playing Ngia in Bakana we carve the Osin and the process is to Kenge it.. . This Kalabari you Abonnema people do not know..
to ba groundnut is not the same as Kenge.. Ba means to apply pressure to burst it open.. you must have heard of Ba polo .. It means to burst to explode...

you have not answered any question I asked about Kula and Ke and the rest. You only keep ranting about the Koro ame and Owuere ye daba that came to the Ke territory .. Who were the KE people and what language or dialect did they speak ?

The people you call Okoloba are actually Okoloma people and the bulk of them were from Ke, Abisse and Bille.. The defunct OLOMA of Abisse produced the Oloma and Aki ama people of Bonny and the AKI ALA AME of KALABARI. Kala ibiama in Bonny was also founded by KE people while Kuru ama of Bonny was founded by Bille people.. Fibiri of Bonny was founded by Ifoko people .. In KALABARI, THE people of Abalama were from ancient Abalama in Bonny.. . Now you see the relationship of the people and why their dialect are intelligible or infact alike .. The people you have been calling Awome or Koro ame were children of OPU KOROYE who in Andoni history is claimed to be an Andonni man from ASARAMA.. But it seems he was a child of Perebo kalabari from Obu amafa which is why his offspring claim to be KALABARI people.

The actual name you are trying to mess with is ANABRABA and not Alabraba.. Anabraba is the distortion of AH ININA BARABAGHA.. ( Ah ininabarabaa ) which means I do not challenge you. to Baraba in Kalabari means to Challenge .

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by torusoeri(m): 5:38am On Aug 30, 2015
nayeb:

It was king Amakiri who issued that all the migrant Igbos both slaves and freed ones must learn Kalabari and the secrete society of the Ekine called KORONI OGBO was the squad used to commit that crime.. Every non native in the town who could not speak Kalabari was killed.. That was how Elem Kalabari people of Elem ama preserved Kalabari that made Kalabari people retain Kalabari if not they would have gone the Bonny way where IBANI was lost in Okoloma to Igbo..
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 4:44pm On Aug 31, 2015
torusoeri:

Kenge is the proper word for crack in Kalabari.. Even when I was a kid playing Ngia in Bakana we carve the Osin and the process is to Kenge it.. . This Kalabari you Abonnema people do not know..
to ba groundnut is not the same as Kenge.. Ba means to apply pressure to burst it open.. you must have heard of Ba polo .. It means to burst to explode...

you have not answered any question I asked about Kula and Ke and the rest. You only keep ranting about the Koro ame and Owuere ye daba that came to the Ke territory .. Who were the KE people and what language or dialect did they speak ?

The people you call Okoloba are actually Okoloma people and the bulk of them were from Ke, Abisse and Bille.. The defunct OLOMA of Abisse produced the Oloma and Aki ama people of Bonny and the AKI ALA AME of KALABARI. Kala ibiama in Bonny was also founded by KE people while Kuru ama of Bonny was founded by Bille people.. Fibiri of Bonny was founded by Ifoko people .. In KALABARI, THE people of Abalama were from ancient Abalama in Bonny.. . Now you see the relationship of the people and why their dialect are intelligible or infact alike .. The people you have been calling Awome or Koro ame were children of OPU KOROYE who in Andoni history is claimed to be an Andonni man from ASARAMA.. But it seems he was a child of Perebo kalabari from Obu amafa which is why his offspring claim to be KALABARI people.

The actual name you are trying to mess with is ANABRABA and not Alabraba.. Anabraba is the distortion of AH ININA BARABAGHA.. ( Ah ininabarabaa ) which means I do not challenge you. to Baraba in Kalabari means to Challenge .

First and foremost, your statement that gbola is the word demand/invoke/summon while "bii " is salutation is wrong.

Secondly, your remark about "ani kengema" and as being "kenge in relation to ngia is also wrong -the two expressions have different meanings. I said you made "valiant attempt" But I did not say you were correct.

Third, you seem awfully stupid or act out schizophrenic: After all, what is so difficult with this statement I have been making: " I know you are fishing for information and I am not giving you any". I also wrote this last: "Now what languages the others spoke before then? That you have to research and discover for yourself." What is so difficult to understand with these statements?

Here was my last statement on the same subject, that you seem unable to get into your head:
Hey Genius! If I told you anything I know, and then you repeated it later, how could I come out and be blabbing? Indeed, that would put us on the same side. Really, it would be better if you got your information from somewhere else so I could come out and be blabbing when you write nonsense. But seriously are you that mentally indolent as to ask me for information when you are the one doing the research and not me? Is there no one in your family who is my equal in intellect and capability of processing intricate issues as I do Quantum Mechanics, who can give you the information you seek? Oh I'm sorry, my bad! You do not have anybody in your family who is my intellectual equal, that is why you only had the nonsense information I have been discrediting all these while, you mentally lethargic punk-ass kid.

What is it you can not understand, about these responses?

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 5:02pm On Aug 31, 2015
torusoeri:

Your remark about the meaning of "baraba" in the name "Alabaraba" is just plain amazing. Your lack of capacity to even realize that if the real name is "ANABRABA" as you have opined, then you assert that the entire group of the family members answering to Alabaraba as surname do not know their names, and history. Do you even realize how presumptuous you are to make the statement? You are freaking out of your mind, that is what it is. And to think that you dare to even opine that the name I am "messing with", you stupid oaf.

Listen to me you worthless trash, the phrase of the name that is used by the family is "Alanabaraba", which some family members write as "Anabaraba" and others write as "Alabaraba" The two forms are extractions of the name-phrase and so are both correct within reason. Now shut the hell up and stop insulting people, when publicly displaying your ignoramus self.

Finally lest, I forget, the expression, "baraba" does not even have the meaning you have just given. Baraba does not mean challenge, you freaking oaf. Go study history in depth before you come out here to show up yourself as nothing more that a freaking bumbling blighted ignoramus.

I have been asking Tom Alabara of the meaning of "baraba" because there is a saying: Before you decide to talk about other peoples family you better learn about your own first. So I wanted to see if he has even studied his family history and even know history. Now if what you have presented is also his view then he clearly does not even know who is he; and so he is not even qualified to speak on Kalabari History. After all, as they say, "of all that knowing, know thyself".

BTW, I will also not tell you what "baraba" means. However, when you learn of the full expression of the name use by elder relative Chief Oruwari, then you will realize that "baraba" has never meant challenge. And yes Chief Oruwari, was my elder relative, after all I am also Duwein-ala (Akiala)
Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 5:17pm On Aug 31, 2015
torusoeri:

It was king Amakiri who issued that all the migrant Igbos both slaves and freed ones must learn Kalabari and the secrete society of the Ekine called KORONI OGBO was the squad used to commit that crime.. Every non native in the town who could not speak Kalabari was killed.. That was how Elem Kalabari people of Elem ama preserved Kalabari that made Kalabari people retain Kalabari if not they would have gone the Bonny way where IBANI was lost in Okoloma to Igbo..

What "King" Amakiri ? Amakiri was not even ever a Chief in Kalabari. Not even a Chief!

Customarily, when someone becomes a Chief in Kalabari, the person is never ever referred to, not even to talk of being described, as a "Slave". Yet Osimini Alali of the Duwein-ala family who was the regent for Kininyanabo Kalagbaa, whose task it was to supervise the enthronement of the next Kininyanabo after the death of Kininyanabo Kalagbaa, and therefore well-informed about the heritage of Amakiri and everybody else of the time, openly and publicly called out Amakiri as a slave to his face, risking his life and died for it. That Amakiri and his goons killed Osimini Alali was the greatest mistake Amakiri made, because the event then got recorded by both the Portuguese and the Dutch, forever establishing the fact that Amaikiri was a slave. Effectively providing an attestation therefore that Amaikiri was never ever even a Chief in Kalabari.

Furthermore, Gbana the younger sister of Osimini Alali also of the Duwein-ala family then proceeded and publicly and openly called out Amakiri as a slave and challenged him to prove otherwise which he was never ever able to do. Just to make sure that you realize this is not a fiction, in addition to the records of the Portuguese and the Dutch, Gbana was the grandmother of Awoye Kio, (aka Odum also Kala-Oba)

Amakiri was a "King"? Only in your freaking schizophrenic mind.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by nayeb: 5:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
torusoeri:

Now lets see; Kininyanabo Daba occasionally visited his friend of Amanyanabo of Ke, and did so because, Ke was the Center of Trade of the Kalabari Clan as of the time. Prior to Ke and Kula becoming part of the Kalabari Clan, the language, Kalabari, was primarily spoken only within the Kalabari Community and after the community was formalized into a Union by Kininyanabo Akeamaoloye, then it was spoken within the Kalabari Union. So it was until Kininaynabo Igonibo came to power, and ordered that every citizen of the Kalabari Clan speak Kalabari, establishing it as lingua franca. This is between 1711 -1720.

Several years later, Kininyanabo Kalagbaa, a nephew of Kininyanabo Igonibo then ruled, and died in 1770 - an event that is also recorded by Captain Hugh Crowe of the English, which information is in the Oxford University archives. Later, Amakiri had then killed Osimini Alali which dastardly act is also recorded as occurring later than 1770.

So here was Ke a Trade Center even earlier than 1735, which was the year when Amakiri sought shelter in the Royal House of Kininyanabo Daba. Indeed then everybody spoke Kalabari already in order to trade, and you blighted ignoramus suggest that it was Amakiri who ordered everybody to speak Kalabari? You are a fool.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 304
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.