Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,564 members, 7,955,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:42 PM

Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life (21860 Views)

[VIDEO] 3 Fatal CV Mistakes You Must NEVER Make / Why Weak Students Usually End Up Being The Most Successful In Life / Do Simple Nigerian School Jobs Here, Get Paid! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Lagusta(m): 11:10pm On Jan 23, 2015
armadeo:

This guy is a proffesor of peadiatric neurosurgery.

Why won't I know who Ben Carson is??

Chooi, you have poured dust on my hair.... embarassed
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Revolva(m): 12:47am On Jan 24, 2015
grin grin i laff i am a drop out...due to circumstances but i belive i will make it more than any university graduate...i swear

3 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by armadeo(m): 1:18am On Jan 24, 2015
Lagusta:

Why won't I know who Ben Carson is??

Chooi, you have poured dust on my hair.... embarassed

grin grin grin.

Didn't check who posted before I mentioned it.

Following your diary reminds me of back in the day.
PS youth service is a shocker. You'll see.
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by AreaFada2: 1:20am On Jan 24, 2015
hatux:
What bout Papa Adedibu? That papa receive pension till he enter six feet even without a primary school certificate...

The few exceptions we see don't make it routine that people succeed as drop-outs.
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by pekeyim: 5:59am On Jan 24, 2015
100Cents:

And become what ?

Well the possibilities are endless.
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by DanjaNinja(m): 9:02am On Jan 24, 2015
hahn:
Lol. Tell that to the ibo boys in Idumota, Alaba etc, the hausa abokis who have their own businesses, land and cattle and compare their numbers with the amount of unemployed graduates including graduates that can't fill their NYSC forms and the ones that can't compose a simple essay. Don't forget the graduates that have been employed by these drop outs and then you can come back and delete this thread

From your response, its pretty obvious that You miss the point of this article. Please re-read the article objectively, i believe you might eventually get it. The so called examples you cited - Alaba traders, Hausa cattle rearers - all require some form of training/apprenticeship. I guess you will agree with me that more educated/efficient/packaged competitors in such sectors will do better. For example, Alaba might be hot today but its evident that Konga and Jumia would eat them up in the nearest future. Hausa cattle rearers might be doing fine but mechanized cattle rearing would destroy their current business model. Whether you believe it or not, "schooling" helps.

Am not a drop out but i can relate to the OP's post. After NYSC, i left several job offers to "focus" on my business and it failed woefully. In retrospect, i failed for several reasons which the Op had highlighted - insufficient funds, non-existent soft landing, no partner and a few more. These are lessons i wished i had learned earlier but learnt the hard way. My advise to any would be entrepreneur is simple: work for a while to build up cash flow - you will need it and experiment with your business idea on a small scale to confirm its viability. If the idea proves financially viable, by all means drop out/quit that job and focus on your business. If it fails, remain in school/your day job and life goes. Repeat this process till you make your millions.That way, your not left broke or educationally bankrupt. Running a business is EXTREMELY hard when you don't have adequate financial backing. Please note my use of "adequate" cos there's this pervasive mentality that assumes you need lots of capital to start. You don't. You just need enough to get you going through the initial testing phase. It might be much, it might be little. What really matters is that you "have it".

I have shared my experience, those who have ears, let them hear.

P.s: I miss the good old days when Nairaland was a place to learn and engage in enlightening discussions such as this one. Now, its an eyesore. Every piece of shit with no atom of intellectual utility makes it to the front page. I weep for nairaland. The end might be near.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by merits(m): 9:09am On Jan 24, 2015
adedayourt:

Even u too??
what do i do wrong?
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Lagusta(m): 9:49am On Jan 24, 2015
armadeo:

grin grin grin.

Didn't check who posted before I mentioned it.

Following your diary reminds me of back in the day.
PS youth service is a shocker. You'll see.

Haaa, never knew I was talking to a senior colleague...

Twale baba!!!
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by hahn(m): 11:21am On Jan 24, 2015
DanjaNinja:

From your response, its pretty obvious that You miss the point of this article. Please re-read the article objectively, i believe you might eventually get it. The so called examples you cited - Alaba traders, Hausa cattle rearers - all require some form of training/apprenticeship. I guess you will agree with me that more educated/efficient/packaged competitors in such sectors will do better. For example, Alaba might be hot today but its evident that Konga and Jumia would eat them up in the nearest future. Hausa cattle rearers might be doing fine but mechanized cattle rearing would destroy their current business model. Whether you believe it or not, "schooling" helps.

Am not a drop out but i can relate to the OP's post. After NYSC, i left several job offers to "focus" on my business and it failed woefully. In retrospect, i failed for several reasons which the Op had highlighted - insufficient funds, non-existent soft landing, no partner and a few more. These are lessons i wished i had learned earlier but learnt the hard way. My advise to any would be entrepreneur is simple: work for a while to build up cash flow - you will need it and experiment with your business idea on a small scale to confirm its viability. If the idea proves financially viable, by all means drop out/quit that job and focus on your business. If it fails, remain in school/your day job and life goes. Repeat this process till you make your millions.That way, your not left broke or educationally bankrupt. Running a business is EXTREMELY hard when you don't have adequate financial backing. Please note my use of "adequate" cos there's this pervasive mentality that assumes you need lots of capital to start. You don't. You just need enough to get you going through the initial testing phase. It might be much, it might be little. What really matters is that you "have it".

I have shared my experience, those who have ears, let them hear.

P.s: I miss the good old days when Nairaland was a place to learn and engage in enlightening discussions such as this one. Now, its an eyesore. Every piece of shit with no atom of intellectual utility makes it to the front page. I weep for nairaland. The end might be near.

You didn't read my second comment either

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Will Employ A Chef & Turn Him Into Nanny, Gateman, Others For N17,500 / Npower Site Reopening- All Previous Applications Remain Intact / MURIC Condemns FRSC For Excluding Muslim Women From Recruitment Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.