Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,903 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim (1432 Views)

TRUE STORY: Praying Against Boko Haram After 70days Fasting / Real Life Story I Need Help To Leave Occult Group Ogboni / Pastot Tunde Bakare Shares An Amazing Story: I Remember The Day Buhari Screamed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by ireneony(f): 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
Hi!

I'm P, a human  just like you! I go to high school and love it! Well, except for all the work. Anyway, here's the deal. Have you ever had anyone judge you just because of the way you look? Or even worse, had someone label you because of what something someone else has done? As a Muslim girl, I've had many incidents like that. I'm sure many of you have also met with someone who didn't like you because of your race, skin color, etc. Once, at my school cafeteria, a boy who was serving lunch looked at me and called me "Saddam Hussein." I've never met him! Another time we had to share our family tree with the class, a boy raised his hand and asked me, "Are you related to Osama bin Laden?" My teacher took my back, but I still felt so helpless. We all have so many problems, but there's one I want to talk about because I think many of us are feeling the same way.

We're growing up in a little bit of a scary generation. There are wars, violence, and an increasing amount of fear in the hearts of many people. But along with all this comes a much more nerve-wracking thing: Stereotypes. Stereotypes are rumors that people make up based on opinions. An example of a stereotype would be that in the times of slavery, every Southerner wanted slavery. That's not true. Some Southerners even helped slaves to escape! I want to talk about a stereotype that I have in mind.

Right now, there isn't much love for Muslims in the world. Why? You may have heard that Islam is a violent religion and that the women in Islam aren't treated well. What you heard was a stereotype. Now, I'm not an Islamic scholar or anything, I'm still pretty young, so I have more to learn. But I have a lot of knowledge about my religion and I can tell you for a fact that Islam is not a violent religion, neither is Christianity, neither is Buddhism, neither is Judaism, etc. Stereotypes hurt a lot of people. Haven't you ever been called a name because of people's negative opinions? I've been called a terrorist, and people have made horrid remarks to me because I'm Muslim. I've never hurt anyone, and I never will! Every religion has its share of fanatics. They're crazy about religion the same way most girls are crazy about Zac Efron. But these fanatics take things to the extreme and make their own rules while bending others. We shouldn't have to suffer for others' actions! Why do we allow ourselves to suffer?! Only we, the upcoming generation, can stop this violence and pain. I welcome anyone's opinions and questions! I'd be more than happy to answer your questions! But treat me with the same respect that you would want to be treated with because although I don't know any of you, I respect you for reading this letter of mine. Remember: I'm just one voice in the crowd, YOU can help fight stereotypes and prejudice too! I welcome you to share you experiences! I'll post up another letter next week - it will address the ten most known misconceptions about Islam. Thank you sooo much! Take care! Bye!

Yours Truly,
From p.

http://ireneonyebuchi..it/2015/01/true-story-am-discriminated-because-am.html?m=1
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by Rich4god(m): 3:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
Just passing by...
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by Alexk2(m): 3:06pm On Jan 19, 2015
sorry dear...i understand your pain lyk seriously. we all truely need a re-orientation to bye-pass this stage. It is sad to tag som1 a terrorist just because he/she is a muslim. islam isnt boko-haram or isis or taliban.
i'm planning to create a thread on this soon.
I speak the voice of a nigerian, nt religious bigot!
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by laykhorn(m): 4:23pm On Jan 19, 2015
Spare me that crap Liar! Ireneony, are you doing this to just get attention or what? Are you not the one talking about not being seen as holy enough for not covering your head in church on the other thread
Fake People

1 Like

Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by ireneony(f): 4:27pm On Jan 19, 2015
laykhorn:
Spare me that crap Liar! Ireneony, are you doing this to just get attention or what? Are you not the one talking about not being seen as holy enough for not covering your head in church on the other thread
Fake People
the op is asking for help, she actually send me an email to advise her, so I decided to post it here
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by laykhorn(m): 6:19pm On Jan 19, 2015
ireneony:
the op is asking for help, she actually send me an email to advise her, so I decided to post it here
I thought It was you. What advice does she seeks? She should slap whoever insults her or what You see, I have a principle to never give a thought to whatever I cant change. Why give yourself unnecessary headache. Just stay cool. I'm also a muslim, I rarely face such problems though or maybe because I stay in Lagos and school in a place of such nature too where Everyone mind their business and care less about what deity you worship or what you believe
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
Lol. Laykhorn, I'm a muslim myself too. I'm a Muslim that you won't mistake, because I never forget to go out in my head-wear. The girl in question has a problem; and her problem is being apologetic. I've faced the same, and I just laugh it off. When I'm in a good mood, I take it up. They know that your religion is one of peace; at least they've heard it before. All they want to do is taunt you. Never stop to explain things to them. They've heard it over a hundred times. It just makes you look stupid and apologetic when you deserve no one an apology. Infact, you deserve one.

Learn to ignore. A smile sometimes. Sometimes, make it look like you heard nothing. And sometimes, you just have to walk up to the person and tell him to his face. "Man, try that shit next time and I beat the hell out of you. Last Bullet." (Do this if the person looks learned only. They are the ones who really like to taunt. Most of them guys know the real deal).

May God deliver us.
Ayamlaykorn

1 Like

Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 19, 2015
ireneony:
grin
Ire, don't tell me you're born-again now. You just spared the guy. shocked
Ayamlaykorn
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by laykhorn(m): 6:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
laykorn:
Lol. Laykhorn, I'm a muslim myself too. I'm a Muslim that you won't mistake, because I never forget to go out in my head-wear. The girl in question has a problem; and her problem is being apologetic. I've faced the same, and I just laugh it off. When I'm in a good mood, I take it up. They know that your religion is one of peace; at least they've heard it before. All they want to do is taunt you. Never stop to explain things to them. They've heard it over a hundred times. It just makes you look stupid and apologetic when you deserve no one an apology. Infact, you deserve one.

Learn to ignore. A smile sometimes. Sometimes, make it look like you heard nothing. And sometimes, you just have to walk up to the person and tell him to his face. "Man, try that shit next time and I beat the hell out of you. Last Bullet." (Do this if the person looks learned only. They are the ones who really like to taunt. Most of them guys know the real deal).

May God deliver us.
Ayamlaykorn
Dude! How have you been? We got unfinished business, remember? Your goodnight message the other day got me startled, I was like 'this guy no well o'
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by Anas09: 11:27pm On Jan 19, 2015
From when I can speak, I have been hearing Islam is a religion of Peace. Ask yourlf pls, is it a religion of peace by words or by actions? because from wen I was a child till this day, I have never heard of any other religion killing believers of another god only islam. One person does or says something in one abstract country and so many christians get killed for it. Over and over again. Wait. R u guys not ashamed to still open ur mouths to say Islam is a religion of peace? Ok fine, mention one religion that kills others for not believing in wat they believe. Do u think by saying that islam is a religion of peace u can Make pipo feel comfortable around u, even wen we know u can be wearing a Bomb?
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by wiegraf: 12:52am On Jan 20, 2015
Hello op! I love how you simplify stuff and make it seem like people 'discriminate' against Islam solely because we think you all terrorists.

It's a lot more subtle than that, and you ALL support this nonsense, tacitly or no.

Eg, not too long my good muslim friends, educated, kindly and all, told me that had my father wished, he could have had me killed for being an apostate. And he would have been right.

They were serious and, as far as Islamic doctrine is concerned, their views are valid.

I asked them what of the reverse? What if their parents were atheist and had them killed for converting to Islam? Their answer? "That's a different scenario"

This is just the tip of Islamic folly. You think yourselves special. Special rules for just special you.

Silly insidious posts like these only tell half of the story.

Well, they might not be insidious per say, as no matter how much gloss and make up you apply, Islam's core philosophy inevitably rears it's unparalleled (in the modern world), ugly head, so you're not deceiving that many people.

Stop asking or suggesting people tolerate intolerance. Until you really show you are ready to join the rest of us in the 21'st century, you should expect many to be justifiably weary of your nonsense. Or you could, you know, simply remain in your caves. Keep your cancer to yourselves, instead of displaying your hypocrisy so proudly.

Kind regards.

Islamphobia my nyash. lol.

2 Likes

Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by italo: 3:58am On Jan 20, 2015
Let the OP send her letter to the parents of the Chibok girls.

Rubbish!
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:58am On Jan 20, 2015
grin grin grin

I can't laugh.....so no one is buying the op's story?

See life!
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by joseph1832(m): 8:10am On Jan 20, 2015
I didn't even need to read the story to the end before I laughed.

However this girl is should direct this question to her fellow moslems up north. I have lived in the north and the abysmal way they treat people of other religion is unbelievable!.

How come these moslems are always quick to accuse others of victimizing them when their brothers and sisters up north do the same victimizing there for free?.
Re: True Story: I Am Discriminated Because Am A Muslim by Anomnity: 1:54pm On Jan 20, 2015
The Op is an age long advanced Islamic tactic to make them look like the oppressed even when they oppress.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Prayer? / Confused Question About Adam And Eve Story / SERMON Jotters:the Tragic Famine. {dr. D.K Olukoya}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.