Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? (928 Views)

"A Good Nigeria Is Better Than A Good Arewa, Oduduwa, Or Biafra" - Facebook User / A Good Nigeria Is Better Than A Good Arewa, Oduduwa Or Biafra / In PDP 16 Years Misrule Nigeria Didn't Experience Recession. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:23pm On Jan 19, 2015
The qualification of any country's national football team for competition is a thing of joy, wether it's continental or intercontinental. In Nigeria, it's always celebrated. Beginning from the qualifying matches, you find out that, as against every other thing, football matches unite us. They can make us forget our tribal, religious and political differences.

I've always argued that if Nigeria had qualified, the interest that is currently being seen in us as regards our polity, the youths especially, might not be there. If not for threads on the ongoing AFCON that hit the front page, I wouldn't have known that there is a continental football competition currently taking place in Equitorial Guinea. I've not heard any youth on the street discuss it. I've not seen any viewing centre displaying any fixtures. Is it that anything other than football matches - election can make us show more interest in our country? There is no doubt that anywhere you go people are discussing the February 14 Presidential Election. Of all the candidates, Buhari and Jonathan stand out. The divide among the youths today is not Nigeria vs Ghana, Ivory Coast vs Gambia or Cameroun vs South Africa.

I remember in 1994 when Nigerians reacted to the incarceration of MKO Abiola, after he declared himself President. No sooner had the USA 94 started than Nigerians forgot that Abiola was in detention. They're carried away by the world cup to the extent that they left more pressing national issues. That same year was AFCON 1994 in Tunisia.
Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by Fortifive: 6:27pm On Jan 19, 2015
It's all for a purpose. Now we are more interested in what goes on politically.
Otherwise, we would have all been talking on how keshi didnt do this and that instead of
focusing on the meat of the matter, Febuhari 14th.
Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:54pm On Jan 19, 2015
Oga Seun, do the needful by moving this to the front page.
Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by PhockPhockMan: 7:23pm On Jan 19, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Front page done suffer. Mtcheeeew.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 8:03pm On Jan 19, 2015
I didn't see it as a blessing imagine a number of people who had died few day in the year, we heard of bad news everybody and left us with nothing to console us at least if we had qualified we will be having something to distract us, now that the pressure is much it would have even been reduced
Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by Oklander: 8:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
hehe, its good sha, allows us focus on kicking out cluelessness!

GMB all the way!
Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by Oklander: 8:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Edit the topic, "Opinion: It's good Nigeria didn't qualify for CAF". Something like that, and hala d mods again, make we see. grin
Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by bakila: 8:56pm On Jan 19, 2015
Those are little signs that determine political fortunes. When your case is put under the microscope, you are in trouble.
Re: Opinion: Is It Good Nigeria Didn't Qualify For AFCON 2015? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:04pm On Jan 19, 2015
Oklander:
Edit the topic, "Opinion: It's good Nigeria didn't qualify for CAF". Something like that, and hala d mods again, make we see. grin
Done. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Lawyer Says Buhari Had No Need To Show Education Certificates / I Fulfilled My 2011 Campaign Promises –jonathan / INEC Adhoc Staff Screening 26-28 Jan.2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.