Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article (3030 Views)

Ambode Presents Gift To Fashola At Law Dinner (Photos) / Happy 52nd Birthday To Fashola: Checkout These His Lovely Pics With Tinubu / Agbaje’s Response To Fashola’s Tax Indictment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by eleven(m): 2:19pm On Jan 20, 2015
THE PRESIDENTIAL DECLARATIONS
By Peter Obi

Governor Babatunde Fashola’s piece entitled: “Presidential Declarations: My Take Away”, which appeared in many newspapers raised critical issues in the on-going electioneering campaigns and my decision to respond is predicated on the fact that the writer is one of the few contemporary Nigerian leaders whom I believe approaches public service and issues with seriousness. He is also one public office holder I can appropriately address as ‘His Excellency’, not because of his achievements in physical infrastructure but because of his character and conduct, especially in public. I have always maintained that character and values, when cherished by leaders, are far more important than their contributions in other areas of public service. It is also for the above reasons that I have chosen to engage him here today.

While I agree with Fashola that President Goodluck Jonathan should base his campaign on what he has done so far and also that core issues should occupy the front burner in this election campaign, I must invite his attention to the fact that President Jonathan actually told Nigerians what he had so far done in office. Close attention to the campaign of Mr. President shows that he discussed all the issues Fashola raised; and even more. On corruption, for instance, he emphasized the strengthening of the institutions like the EFCC and the ICPC, in addition to his resolve to follow due process of the law at all times; rather than arbitrarily arresting and jailing of people for countless number of years. The President explained that his Government has prosecuted more persons for corruption than any government before, but that the best way to fight corruption is to build institutions that will make it difficult for people to steal. Fertilizer distribution and the pension reforms were respectively cited as examples of where institutional measures eliminated the old, corrupt practices associated with pensions and fertilizer distribution, respectively.

The president also spoke of how his government drastically reduced, if not stopped, militancy in the Niger Delta and kidnapping in the East, while dealing with the international terrorism in the North-East. He educated Nigerians on the global dimension of the phenomenon and further pointed out that previous government had not equipped the nation’s armed forces for decades. The APC’s claim that it would stop insurgency, if elected, raises two major issues. The first is whether genuine patriots would wait until they are in office to proffer solutions to serious national problems. The second concerns the endorsement of the APC candidate by Boko Haram and the fact that the party and its candidate see nothing wrong with this endorsement.

Gov. Fashola used France as an example of how, within hours of terror attack, it was possible to bring things under control. But my brother knows that this is not a fair comparison, as he did not mention how everybody in France, including the opposition, came out with one voice and how on Sunday, President Francois Hollande held hands with the opposition in condemnation of evil. When last did such happen in Nigeria? Instead of doing so, the opposition was recently quoted to be encouraging mutiny and perhaps even celebrating terrorism in their fatherland. His Excellency is most likely aware that Boko Haram has the same flag as ISIS and Alshaba, which are renowned international terrorist organisations. He is also aware that the group celebrated the attack on France. Meanwhile, APC is yet to comment on the adoption of its candidate for the 2015 elections by Boko Haram.

I agree with Fashola that all matters relating to the forensic audit should be properly investigated, but I must also draw His Excellency’s kind attention to the fact that no money has been misappropriated; as the office of the Auditor General, which instituted the audit has confirmed to me that the audit is still on-going. The SURE-P monies have also not been used for politics, as we all know that the States and Local Governments received their own shares of the sure-p money. The Federal Government component of the money has been used to finance the 50 Billion Naira Lagos-Ibadan dual carriage road, the first and second sections of the Apapa-Oshodi dual carriage road, the Abuja/Kaduna rail line, among other federal projects.

The President showed that the sound economic policies of his government have brought about macro-economic stability. This has been acknowledged by the renowned economist and former Chairman of the Asset Management Division of Goldman Sachs Group, Dr. Jim O’Neill, who coined BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India and China and South Africa) and MINT (Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey) countries as the world’s fastest growing economies. He said: “the deliberate efforts by the Goodluck Jonathan administration to encourage entrepreneurs would go a long way in supporting the country’s growth.” Further he said: “I think the government’s efforts to allow more entrepreneurialism has been good and the government’s macroeconomic policies have been encouraging.” To show how highly Nigeria is rated under Jonathan, he continues “I think, like I said before, Nigeria should be included in the G-20. South Africa is in the G-20, whereas Nigeria is bigger.”

I agree entirely with his position and state that the highest growth among quoted companies was recorded between 2011 and 2013. The values and profits of many companies within the same period doubled, example is Dangote Cement Plc. Manufacturing, which was declining, had a reverse and Nigeria moved from massive importation to self-sufficiency in cement within the period. The country also witnessed resuscitation of auto companies, such as Peugeot Assembly of Nigeria (PAN) and ANNAMCO. New ones also came up such as INNOSON Motor Manufacturing Company, Nnewi and NISSAN and they are doing very well. All this created many jobs for our people. Multi billion dollars petrochemical industries are also being set up. While Dangote group are building their own ($9 Billion) at OK-LNG Free Trade Zone, between Ogun and Ondo states, President Goodluck Jonathan on the 14th of August 2014 performed the ground breaking ceremony for the construction of $1.5 Billion Dollars Methanol plant in Ibeano, Akwa Ibom State, by quantum Petrochemical Company Ltd, established by Mr. Jim Ovia. Many such projects are ongoing in the country.

Let us note that the creation of Mortgage Refinancing Institution; to make long term funds available and increase liquidity by funding primary mortgage institutions is a job creation initiative of the Jonathan government. The boom in the Housing sector, with an estimated 6 direct jobs and 4 indirect jobs for every house built, has done a lot so far. Many of the 2400 businesses under YouWin 1 and 2 have created about 22,000 jobs, translating into 9 jobs per winner. The turnaround in the agricultural sector has reduced our import bill by 50% and the effects of the recent collapse in oil prices and devaluation of our currency would have been worse, but for the diversification achieved through agriculture and other sectors. Due to the reforms in the sugar industry sector, the investment in the sector has moved from $100 Million Dollars in 2011 to $3 .2 Billion Dollars.

In Aviation, all of us can see the upswing in bilateral agreements, improved services and the on-going renovation and remodelling of our airports. There is also what I consider audacious building of 5 new terminals simultaneously in Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Enugu. This is in response to the perceived needs of the travelling public and businesses. On completion, they will change the face of our airports, improve commerce and tourism. So will the roads some of which I mentioned before, like the Lagos-Ibadan, Apapa-Oshodi are at various stages of completion, while some like the Benin-Ore road have been completed.

I should perhaps not say much on power, than just point out that the president has taken the most critical decision in that sector, by unbundling the generation and distribution of power in the country. We should all calmly watch out what will follow, going forward; as the revolution Nigeria witnessed when telephones were privatized will be replicated in the power sector.

Source: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1528960280712572

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by temitemi1(m): 2:30pm On Jan 20, 2015
Peter obi should leave fashola for his self destruction mission, all these their noise will soon be over wn GEJ takes it ALL... GEJ till 2019!!!

21 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by smsshola(m): 2:41pm On Jan 20, 2015
story for the gods.
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
He virtually agreed with all that Fashola said....he was merely looking for how to punch holes.

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Adegbodolu1: 2:46pm On Jan 20, 2015
Mr Anambra state, correction

Jim O'Neill did not coin MINT.
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Adegbodolu1: 2:49pm On Jan 20, 2015
Mr Anambra, another correction.

GEJ-jundice did not create micro-economic stability and the proof is the Naira was devalued by circa 15% just 2 months into the oil price slump. We don't call that micro economic stability in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by ndcide(m): 2:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
Sincerely, can you fault these?

When I see people promulgate despondency just because of Buhari/ APC. I wonder if other aren't under a spell.

9 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 20, 2015
ndcide:
Sincerely, can you fault these?

When I see people promulgate despondency just because of Buhari/ APC. I wonder if other aren't under a spell.
HONESTLY, I DONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FASHOLA AND A MOTOR PARK TOUT BECAUSE OF THE WAY HE RANTS LIKE A BROKEN ENGINE WITHOUT SILENCER.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2015
eleven:
THE PRESIDENTIAL DECLARATIONS
By Peter Obi

In Aviation, all of us can see the upswing in bilateral agreements, improved services and the on-going renovation and remodelling of our airports. There is also what I consider audacious building of 5 new terminals simultaneously in Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kano and Enugu. This is in response to the perceived needs of the travelling public and businesses. On completion, they will change the face of our airports, improve commerce and tourism. So will the roads some of which I mentioned before, like the Lagos-Ibadan, Apapa-Oshodi are at various stages of completion, while some like the Benin-Ore road have been completed.

Source: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1528960280712572
This whole paragraph makes no sense. Just a bunch of words strung together to confuse the reader. For example, tell me, who doesn't know that the airports are falling apart? And how the hell will airports or Apapa-Oshodi road improve tourism? Will foreigners go to your country just to stare at the road in Apapa, or what?

These are the kinds of dull clueless men that run Nigeria and people wonder why nothing works.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by anonimi: 4:11pm On Jan 20, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:
This whole paragraph makes no sense. Just a bunch of words strung together to confuse the reader. For example, tell me, who doesn't know that the airports are falling apart. And how the hell will airports or Apapa-Oshodi road improve tourism? Will foreigners go to your country just to stare at the road in Apapa, or what?

These are the kinds of dull clueless men that run Nigeria and people wonder why nothing works.

Will foreigners go to your country to ride on bad, bumpy roads abi in your CCBS infested mind na only stare people dey stare at roads.

No wonder you dey follow a semi-literate daft pensioner. Birds of the same feather flock together.

Kai Buhari!!!
#Liberate-Lagos

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by bokohalal(m): 4:28pm On Jan 20, 2015
Opposition leaders visited Borno State while the president and his supporters said it was unsafe.
Peter Obi lied there about Nigerians not United against Bokoharam.
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Montaque(m): 4:33pm On Jan 20, 2015
Education is known through how one presents his thought succinctly in words.
This what we call ISSUE BASED CAMPAIGN.
No glaring insult like Fayose's
I can't wait for the presidential debate.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by anonimi: 5:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
bokohalal:
Opposition leaders visited Borno State while the president and his supporters said it was unsafe.
Peter Obi lied there about Nigerians not United against Bokoharam.

Sorry but you are the LIAR here:

Jonathan visited Maiduguri in March 2013 and APC governors went there just a week before in a protocol & security BREACH since the Borno state governor involved in PLANNING Jonathan's visit allowed his fellow APC governors in for the paparazzi and DECEPTION that you are repeating here. In your opinion does such an OPPORTUNISTIC visit by the opposition show unity

Blasts Rock Maiduguri After President Jonathan’s Visit
MAR 9, 2013

Barely hours after President Goodluck Jonathan left the Borno State capital; multiple explosions were reported to have hit the city of Maiduguri.

Witnesses say they heard loud blasts, in Jajeri ward of Budum town, the heart of the insurgency shortly after President Goodluck Jonathan ended his trip there to try to galvanize support for his battle against terror.

Our correspondent in Borno Jonathan Gopep reports that the explosions, seven in all occurred within minutes of each other.

No casualties were reported in the incident.

It will be recalled that President Jonathan visited Maiduguri, the borno State capital to salute the courage of men of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in tackling the Boko Haram sect, could not hold his enthusiasm as to the level patriotism demonstrated by the JTF, by way of leaving their various families to come and stay under the scorching sun of Borno State in a bid to rid the state of insecurity.

He commended the officers for their patriotism since the violence began, while insisting that the JTF will not be pulled out of the state unless peace returns and called on the elders who asked for their withdrawal to sign a pact with him which will guaranty security of lives and property.

From: http://www.channelstv.com/2013/03/09/blasts-rock-maiduguri-after-president-jonathans-visit/

Kai Buhari!!!
#Liberate-Lagos

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by jdilight(m): 6:25pm On Jan 20, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:
This whole paragraph makes no sense. Just a bunch of words strung together to confuse the reader. For example, tell me, who doesn't know that the airports are falling apart. And how the hell will airports or Apapa-Oshodi road improve tourism? Will foreigners go to your country just to stare at the road in Apapa, or what?

If airports are falling apart then you were not in Nigeria when aeroplane were dropping from sky like rain.

Nigerians really have dwaf memory

6 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by jaso1(m): 6:34pm On Jan 20, 2015
The peter Obi. I know can't write this because he's not educated to to write complete sentence.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by KINGSNEEZE(m): 7:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
jaso1:
The peter Obi. I know can't write this because he's not educated to to write complete sentence.
do u really peter OBI or u just choose to talk bcus every other person(s) are talking? I'm not suppose to be doing this with you I believe u need to know incase you don't
Peter OBI was the former governor of anambra state . Here is his resume
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED:

* Christ the King College, Onitsha (W.A.S.C.)
* University of Nigeria, Nsukka, (B.A. Philosophy)
* Lagos Business School, Nigeria (Chief Executive Program)
* Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Mid to Mid Marketing)
* London School of Economics “L.S.E” (Financial Mgt./Business Policy)
* Columbia Business School, New York U.S.A. (Marketing Management)
* Kellogg Graduate School of Management U.S.A. (Advanced Exec. Prog.)
* Institute for Management Dev. (IMD), Switzerland (Snr. Executive Forum)

PRESENT AND PAST POSITIONS

* GOVERNOR: ANAMBRA STATE OF NIGERIA
* FORMER CHAIRMAN: FIDELITY BANK PLC
* FORMER CHAIRMAN: GUARDIAN EXPRESS MORTGAGE BANK LTD
* FORMER DIRECTOR: GUARDIAN EXPRESS BANK PLC
* FORMER CHAIRMAN: FUTURE VIEW SECURITIES LIMITED
* FORMER CHAIRMAN: PAYMASTER NIGERIA LIMITED
* FORMER CHAIRMAN: NEXT INTERNATIONAL (NIGERIA) LTD
* FORMER DIRECTOR: CHAMS NIGERIA LIMITED
* FORMER CHAIRMAN: DATACORP LIMITED
* FORMER DIRECTOR: CARD CENTRE LIMITED

PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION/ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBERSHIP:

* Member – Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG)
* Member – Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers
* Member – Common Wealth Business Council (CBC)
* Member – West African Business Committee (WABC)
* Member – British Institute of Directors (IOD)
* Member – British Nigerian Business Council (BNBC)
* Member – Nigerian South African Chamber of Commerce (NSACC)
YOU CAN THANK ME NOW IF U WANT (depending on how appreciative u are )

10 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by cooljude(m): 7:44pm On Jan 20, 2015
jaso1:
Clap for yourself, how do yo know him. Why are you filled with hate, stop attacking the person if you have nothing to oppose his view.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by FKO81(m): 7:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
[s]
jaso1:
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by ba7man(m): 8:01pm On Jan 20, 2015
Who is Peter Obi?? undecided

Is he related to Mikel Obi??
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Kororugged: 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2015
Peter Obi is a very intelligent man.

He is not stupid at all. Here is a man that was the leader of his party but abandoned the position so that his children will not suffer.

When GMB wins, Obi and his friends will be the first to leave Jonathan to his fate. He will seek political office under APC without any shame. He is the typical AGIP politician.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 20, 2015
Peter Obi is another clueless leader from the south especially east. He wants to succeed Jonathan. Chukwu aman kwe grin

Someone who should retire from politics like his peers; Mbadinuju, Ezeife to mention a few. He is here contesting in the same space with the Progressives. I just pray they ignore him and his "chatters", otherwise, he would be drowned in the current political high current waves.
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 20, 2015
What does a Fashola know, the only thing he has partial control over is his wife.

The senile frogeyed Bourdillion bandit with sunflower teeth have rendered the guy useless and turn him to puppet.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2015
You need the paramedics

Kororugged:
Peter Obi is a very intelligent man.

He is not stupid at all. Here is a man that was the leader of his party but abandoned the position so that his children will not suffer.

When GMB wins, Obi and his friends will be the first to leave Jonathan to his fate. He will seek political office under APC without any shame. He is the typical AGIP politician.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by bros12345: 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2015
This is a perfect leader's response to public issues. Nice one P.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Kororugged: 8:23pm On Jan 20, 2015
BuddahMonk:
You need the paramedics

Ah my very good friend. Kedu

How is your NBA dream going?

Oya, tell me, am i lying about Peter Adaobi's AGIP principles?

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Bruteforce1o1: 8:31pm On Jan 20, 2015
[s]
BuddahMonk:
What does a Fashola know, the only thing he has partial control over is his wife.

The senile frogeyed Bourdillion bandit with sunflower teeth have rendered the guy useless and turn him to puppet.
[/s]

Ebuka Phils, What do you know? Park well oga painter.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by tomakint: 8:59pm On Jan 20, 2015
ilugunboy:
He virtually agreed with all that Fashola said....he was merely looking for how to punch holes.
What are you talking about now re-read what Peter Obi put up there and learn......who the hell is Fashola? Can't you see the blueprints of Jonathan's administration Peter Obi reeled out. He is just trying to curry Fashola's ego, afterall he raised many salient points that are attached to Jonathan's achievements - I asked again, who is Fashola?

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Badgers14: 9:03pm On Jan 20, 2015
Am very disappointed how Peter turned his back and joined PDP during his last days in office. What a sell out.
Since he was defending GEJ, why didn't he address the Chibok girls what effort have GEJ made to bring back those girls. The Massacre at Baga almost 2000 dead, what did GEJ do about that, he could have supplied the military equipment to fight BH but he was busy adding another private jet to the presenditial fleet.
Peter should grab a seat somewhere and hide his head in shame. Since GEJ took over power, what have he done for Anambrarians What does Obi have to say about that .. angry angry
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 20, 2015
Nobody is missing, Chibox girls is hoax, wake up from the scam.

Badgers14:
Am very disappointed how Peter turned his back and joined PDP during his last days in office. What a sell out.
Since he was defending GEJ, why didn't he address the Chibok girls what effort have GEJ made to bring back those girls. The Massacre at Baga almost 2000 dead, what did GEJ do about that, he could have supplied the military equipment to fight BH but he was busy adding another private jet to the presenditial fleet.
Peter should grab a seat somewhere and hide his head in shame. Since GEJ took over power, what have he done for Anambrarians What does Obi have to say about that .. angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Alphaoscar: 9:08pm On Jan 20, 2015
[[I agree with Fashola that all matters relating to the forensic audit should be properly investigated, but I must also draw His Excellency’s kind attention to the fact that no money has been misappropriated; as the office of the Auditor General, which instituted the audit has confirmed to me that the audit is still on-going.]]

How can you say no money was appropriated when you are sure that that the audit is still ongoing?

Pre-empting the result of the audit Hmmmm

And this one below:
Gov. Fashola used France as an example of how, within hours of terror attack, it was possible to bring things under control. But my brother knows that this is not a fair comparison, as he did not mention how everybody in France, including the opposition, came out with one voice and how on Sunday, President Francois Hollande held hands with the opposition in condemnation of evil. When last did such happen in Nigeria? Instead of doing so, the opposition was recently quoted to be encouraging mutiny and perhaps even celebrating terrorism in their fatherland.

The current administration should have think about the need to carry everyone along before branding the opposition as the brains behind Terrorism and the most stupid thing is that the writer also end the paragraph by linking the same opposition to sponsoring, aid and supporting terrorism which is double standard on his part because I can't remember France President ever blaming or linking the opposition to terrorism. GEJ must lead by example and realize the fact that he is the President of the whole country now and not that of PDP.
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by Badgers14: 9:12pm On Jan 20, 2015
BuddahMonk:
Nobody is missing, Chibox girls is hoax, wake up from the scam.

Ebi like say they just buy phone give you abi undecided
Baga massacre was a hoax too. Go to sleep abeg
Re: Peter Obi's Response To Fashola's Article by OKDnigeria: 9:47pm On Jan 20, 2015
Fashola has bcom something else. He used to focus more on governance dan politics. Nowadays he plays more politics and talks anyhow. He must have smoked d supporter of APC

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP A Visionless Party (AIT) / Nairaland Official POLL: GEJ Or GMB / Iweala's Novel " Beasts Of No Nation" Has Gone Hollywood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.