Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,711 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? (26129 Views)

5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) / Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan / Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jan 20, 2015
Guys I use Mobil xhp oil. Most times, I do not know when the vehicle is due for oil change. Please I would like good professionals to give me details on how to know when the vehicle is due for oil change.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by DECOtech(m): 7:06am On Jan 21, 2015
jusRadical:
Guys I use Mobil xhp oil. Most times, I do not know when the vehicle is due for oil change. Please I would like good professionals to give me details on how to know when the vehicle is due for oil change.

Firstly, what car do you drive? We wld like to know your engine config, your last oil change date and how often you use this car.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by AutosBay(m): 7:29am On Jan 21, 2015
Check if the engine oil in the dip stick is black, pay close attention to your dashboard, the oil change light would come on if it's due.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by zinaLPF: 11:51pm On Jan 21, 2015
AutosBay:
Check if the engine oil in the dip stick is black, pay close attention to your dashboard, the oil change light would come on if it's due.

I am by no means a car expert, just a gal who enjoys reading about cars and learning from this forum. However, I know enough to know that the above is terrible advice. I am not certain that the dashboard tells you when an oil change is due! It will indicate low oil pressure and tell you when a service is due. 2 totally different things! Besides, the OP did not say what type of vehicle he has, how do you know if he has a newer vehicle with modern electronics?

@ OP -
Most people would do an oil change either based on mileage or time. I use synthetic oil and change my oil (and filter) every 5000 miles or 3 months.

Hope that helps?

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by DECOtech(m): 12:59am On Jan 22, 2015
zinaLPF:

I am by no means a car expert, just a gal who enjoys reading about cars and learning from this forum. However, I know enough to know that the above is terrible advice. I am not certain that the dashboard tells you when an oil change is due! It will indicate low oil pressure and tell you when a service is due. 2 totally different things! Besides, the OP did not say what type of vehicle he has, how do you know if he has a newer vehicle with modern electronics?

@ OP -
Most people would do an oil change either based on mileage or time. I use synthetic oil and change my oil (and filter) every 5000 miles or 3 months.

Hope that helps?

Nice one

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by kayswag100(m): 7:08am On Jan 22, 2015
I drive a Nissan Altima 2006 2.5L.

It's an everyday-use car. I changed my oil (Total) about 4 months back but have driven only about 1500 miles since.

my office isn't that far from home though.

Question is: Am I due for oil change yet? (pls leave oil colour outta it because research has shown that oil clod change to black as early as 1 week after previous oil change).

pls I need urgent answer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by 9icetoo(m): 9:43am On Jan 22, 2015
kayswag100:
I drive a Nissan Altima 2006 2.5L.

It's an everyday-use car. I changed my oil (Total) about 4 months back but have driven only about 1500 miles since.

my office isn't that far from home though.

Question is: Am I due for oil change yet? (pls leave oil colour outta it because research has shown that oil clod change to black as early as 1 week after previous oil change).

pls I need urgent answer
How long exactly is your office from your house in kilometers? (this will help). What is your total travel time from house to office? (this will also help). What brand of Total oil did you use? Is it the fully synthetic Quartz 9000?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by kayswag100(m): 11:35am On Jan 22, 2015
9icetoo:

How long exactly is your office from your house in kilometers? (this will help). What is your total travel time from house to office? (this will also help). What brand of Total oil did you use? Is it the fully synthetic Quartz 9000?

It's a 7mins drive (max 11). No traffic and I ply any extra smooth express way in IB.

Yes. It's fully synthetic Quartz 9000 (as was told to me by d total attendant).

Thanks.

Also, '' Service Engine Soon'' light is not on.

I'm just worried that I've driven for that long and may need servicing

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by xerxes456(m): 12:22pm On Jan 22, 2015
zinaLPF:

@ OP -

Hope that helps?
Unless your car is serviced by a professional autocare in which case a mtce schedule card will be updated after each service, and the next due date given, I will advice you go with the three months schedule... I service mine every three months used or not.... If I happen to travel far I will service before and after the journey, you may change the filter after every two services etc...

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by jamesatoy(m): 12:32pm On Jan 22, 2015
My dear,their's'nothing to bother about then,but i suggest you change it in feb irrespective of the speedometre covered.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by 9icetoo(m): 5:11pm On Jan 22, 2015
kayswag100:

It's a 7mins drive (max 11). No traffic and I ply any extra smooth express way in IB.

Yes. It's fully synthetic Quartz 9000 (as was told to me by d total attendant).

Thanks.

Also, '' Service Engine Soon'' light is not on.

I'm just worried that I've driven for that long and may need servicing
Okay. This qualifies for 'severe driving'. At seven minutes, you engine oil never really gets warmed up. good news is you are using synthetic so you are okay. I would advice a change after 5,000 miles. However, take the car for an extended highway run (average speed of 100km/hr for 15 minutes or more) at least once a month to properly warm up that oil and get rid of condensation and other stuffs currently building up.
That 'service engine soon' light is actually your check engine light. It means your ECM has stored a code and you should scan the car as soon as possible.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 26, 2015
zinaLPF:

@ OP -

Hope that helps?
lol, all of you in CarTalk section wn't join hands and kill Autosbay for us..o!

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by treatise: 12:29am On Jan 28, 2015
Could the use of air conditioner be an alternative to 15 minutes drive you advised because I also fall within daily short distance drive ? Thank you.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by anochuks08(m): 2:39am On Jan 28, 2015
Same thing dey disturb me sef, I do city driving and I don't even cover up to 5000 miles in 1 year. My question is should I wait to reach the 5000 miles even if it takes more than 1 year? or just change after like every 3 months? Car is 1999 camry, 4 cylinder engine.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 12:11pm On Jan 28, 2015
anochuks08:
Same thing dey disturb me sef, I do city driving and I don't even cover up to 5000 miles in 1 year. My question is should I wait to reach the 5000 miles even if it takes more than 1 year? or just change after like every 3 months? Car is 1999 camry, 4 cylinder engine.
To me every 6 months or 2000km is not bad since it is a 15 years old car. Otherwise, Toyota recommends 10,000km or 6 months for most of their brand new vehicles but they however advise that after 100,000km, servicing should be done at 5,000km or 6 months intervals, whichever comes first. But, I usually suggest 2,000km for most used car owners since you don't know for sure whether the initial owner has followed the manufacturer's instructions to the later.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by anochuks08(m): 2:09pm On Jan 28, 2015
FlyboyZee:
To me every 6 months or 2000km is not bad since it is a 15 years old car. Otherwise, Toyota recommends 10,000km or 6 months for most of their brand new vehicles but they however advise that after 100,000km, servicing should be done at 5,000km or 6 months intervals, whichever comes first. But, I usually suggest 2,000km for most used car owners since you don't know for sure whether the initial owner has followed the manufacturer's instructions to the later.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by zinaLPF: 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2015
FlyboyZee:

Time or mileage, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. Please Do NOT leave engine oil in your car for 1 year because you have not hit 3000 miles! That is key, especially in Nigeria where people drive short distances, over rough terrain and sit in traffic for long stretches. In Lagos, I average 6000 miles per year; in the US, I average 18,000 miles per year. In Lagos I use time (3 months), in the US I use mileage (5000 miles). In both cases, I average 3 - 4 oil (and filter) changes per year. Simple. No car wahala.

House experts, if I may make a suggestion? Seems like we have a lot of people who do not really understand the basics of vehicle use and maintenance. Would be really cool to have a simple vehicle maintenance topic pinned to the Car Talk landing page. Nothing fancy, just explaining oil changes, manufacturer recommended maintenance schedules (and where to find and print them) etc. Reading through a lot of comments, it is clear that 1. Folks mix up maintenance / service with oil changes, and 2. Folks either do not read their manuals or do not have manuals! Perhaps that may explain why we have so many requests for new engines etc.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 6:53pm On Jan 28, 2015
zinaLPF:

Time or mileage, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. Please Do NOT leave engine oil in your car for 1 year because you have not hit 3000 miles! That is key, especially in Nigeria where people drive short distances, over rough terrain and sit in traffic for long stretches. In Lagos, I average 6000 miles per year; in the US, I average 18,000 miles per year. In Lagos I use time (3 months), in the US I use mileage (5000 miles). In both cases, I average 3 - 4 oil (and filter) changes per year. Simple. No car wahala.

House experts, if I may make a suggestion? Seems like we have a lot of people who do not really understand the basics of vehicle use and maintenance. Would be really cool to have a simple vehicle maintenance topic pinned to the Car Talk landing page. Nothing fancy, just explaining oil changes, manufacturer recommended maintenance schedules (and where to find and print them) etc. Reading through a lot of comments, it is clear that 1. Folks mix up maintenance / service with oil changes, and 2. Folks either do not read their manuals or do not have manuals! Perhaps that may explain why we have so many requests for new engines etc.

Guy! What are you saying? You are only rephrasing my post and still trying to paint me black. Hian!

Did I say anything about leaving oil in a car for 1 year? I clearly said "TOYOTA RECOMMENDS... 6 MONTHS OR 5,000 KM, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST". For those who don't understand, it simply means change your car's oil and filter when you have driven the car for about 5,000 kms or if you haven't achieved that mileage by 6 months, please change your oil and filter.

Honda advises that you change your engine oil every year if the oil change reminder fails to come on after the last servicing. Recent Honda cars have their engine oil change reminders set at 10,000 km and as such would keep showing you the oil life in percentage. I use that to do my servicing and resets the reminder after servicing and it has always been 10,000 km. I also use the recommended 5w20 oil to avoid complications. I have attached snapshots of 2 Honda cars, a Pilot and a Civic as well as a pix of the relevant page to let you know I know what I am saying. When I get to the Office tomorrow, I'll update with a pix of Toyota recommendation from the manual.

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 10:39pm On Jan 28, 2015
See some...

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 10:40pm On Jan 28, 2015
Some more...

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 10:43pm On Jan 28, 2015
See also...

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by zinaLPF: 11:12pm On Jan 28, 2015
FlyboyZee:

Guy! What are you saying? You are only rephrasing my post and still trying to paint me black. Hian!

Did I say anything about leaving oil in a car for 1 year? I clearly said "TOYOTA RECOMMENDS... 6 MONTHS OR 5,000 KM, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST". For those who don't understand, it simply means change your car's oil and filter when you have driven the car for about 5,000 kms or if you haven't achieved that mileage by 6 months, please change your oil and filter.

Calm down and read through the entire topic! "Paint you black" how?

I simply emphasized a sentence from your post. I happen to agree with you, as you can see from my previous post. I bolded your statement because in my earlier post I failed to write "whichever comes first" as I assumed most people know this. It is clear from the follow up questions that we should make no such assumptions. My response was more clearly directed @anochuks08 who asked about 1 year and 5000 miles.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 7:23am On Jan 29, 2015
zinaLPF:

Calm down and read through the entire topic! "Paint you black" how?

I simply emphasized a sentence from your post. I happen to agree with you, as you can see from my previous post. I bolded your statement because in my earlier post I failed to write "whichever comes first" as I assumed most people know this. It is clear from the follow up questions that we should make no such assumptions. My response was more clearly directed @anochuks08 who asked about 1 year and 5000 miles.
Okay! Dearie. No probs. Maybe I misunderstood you. Its all good.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 1:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
Like I promised yesterday, here are pix from the Toyota Owner's Manual...

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by FlyboyZee: 1:41pm On Jan 29, 2015
Like I promised yesterday, here are pix from the Toyota Owners manual...

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2016
Its all a function of the type of engine oil used. Synthetic engine oils are available in different grades. For the XHP (commonly available oils), an interval of 5000km or 3000Miles or every three months which ever comes first is the recommendation.
PLEASE Note that a vehicle that is not driven need to be serviced every three months on the basis of this recommendation.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by seunlayi(m): 6:34am On Oct 12, 2016
Thank you mod, orí ẹ pe

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by nairaman66(m): 6:34am On Oct 12, 2016
Dashboard!!
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:34am On Oct 12, 2016
Service your Car by mileage..

I do mine every 4000 Miles or 5000 Km
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by erico2k2(m): 6:35am On Oct 12, 2016
AutosBay:
The colour of your Oil won't tell you it's due date Boss.cos even if you ran your engine for just 10 mins oil is going black . However I recon if you are using the recommended Oil for your car then you should go by what the service manual for such car says . These are freely available on line.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by erico2k2(m): 6:36am On Oct 12, 2016
Okijajuju1:
Service your Car by mileage..

I do mine every 4000 Miles or 5000 Km
Brilliant
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by namuguibe(m): 6:37am On Oct 12, 2016
Okijajuju1:
Service your Car by mileage.. I do mine every 4000 Miles or 5000 Km
I've heard a recommendation of 5000 miles = 8000 km ( 1mile = 1.6 km).
Modern day cars utilizing synthetic oils can even go 7500 miles between oil changes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ahh Ahh!!! See How These Dogs Tore A Car Apart / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! / How Reliable Are Innoson Buses For Transport Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.