Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,601 members, 7,827,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) (22753 Views)

Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by cardoctor(m): 12:57pm On Sep 08, 2016
It is not without reason that we call engine oil the lifeblood of the engine. And it is not necessarily for just the reason that oil runs through the engine. It is called so because the engine oil performs several critical functions that assist in maintaining optimum engine performance and maximizing engine life as well as cooling the engine. And it is necessary to follow oil service intervals as recommended by the respective manufacturers of your brand. To ignore or extend the oil service intervals will lead to several risks and we list some major ones.

1. Increased sludge and oil soot levels.

One of the main duties of engine oil is to keep the engine parts running smoothly by collecting and suspending the dirt particles. By extending the oil change interval, you also increase the amount of soot (mass of impure carbon particles resulting from the incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons) in the oil that will inadvertently cause sludge, thus decreasing the engine’s ability to work efficiently.

2. Reduced crankshaft bearing life.

The reduction of bearings’ life will be reduced through many factors including fuel dilution, coolant leaks, abrasive wear and corrosion. With extended oil change intervals, the levels of abrasives, fuel and coolant increase in the oil thus leading to removal of the bearing overlay and cause damage to the bearing linings.

3. Damage to engine.

Missing the oil change interval will lead to engine damages, resulting in minimizing engine durability and safety. Extended oil change interval will also lead oil contamination eventually leading to loss of engine power.

4. Cam shaft failure.

To lower emissions, manufacturers have been continuously improving cam metals, hardness, surface finishes etc to increase fuel injection pressures. If the soot in the engine oil goes overboard, the abrasive wear between rocker shaft and rocker bearing will increase leading to rocker arm failure.

5. Increased metal particles in oil.

When you extend your oil drain interval, the metal particles suspended in the oil also increase along with the kilometres your engine does.

Here are some photos below of a clean, regularly serviced engine and one that has been damaged due to sludge.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Coolgent(m): 7:16pm On Oct 07, 2016
Very educative and informative post, keep it up Bro.
I will patronise your service very soon

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Rapmoney(m): 6:24am On Oct 08, 2016
I love this thread. I need to service my ride today! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by rottennaija(m): 6:24am On Oct 08, 2016
Just imagine

2 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by asumo12: 6:25am On Oct 08, 2016
What if am not driving my vehicle at all!

undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by orlaryhincah(m): 6:26am On Oct 08, 2016
So how long do one have to change the engine oil often?

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by ibroh22(m): 6:28am On Oct 08, 2016
ok,,,I will come back to read this,when I get a car,,,,next!!

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Kobicove(m): 6:28am On Oct 08, 2016
Very educative article

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by drkay(m): 6:29am On Oct 08, 2016
@op, how frequent do u think one should be doing dis considering the type of oil and car usage. I service the car I use regularly every 60days ( 04 toyota Corolla sport) using 5l Mobil 1000 and a regular oil filter while I do the servicing of our sienna which we only use on weekends once in 3months. Is this fair enough?

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Realali(f): 6:30am On Oct 08, 2016
Cool
Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by fotadmowmend(m): 6:30am On Oct 08, 2016
Reading incase..

2 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by abitex577(m): 6:31am On Oct 08, 2016
Good one after so much thrash making front page.

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Ugogenius(m): 6:31am On Oct 08, 2016
How many months can we change engine oil

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by omoiyalayi(m): 6:32am On Oct 08, 2016
I ve nt change my engine oil 4 abt 2 months
Now. May God help me

I'm nt proud 2 say it though, na buhari cause am

Beside I don't out wit d car everyday, even wen I do its just 4rm my house to work & back

I don't go unnecessary places

U ve 2 think of fuel too

May God help us all.

4 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by memud001(m): 6:32am On Oct 08, 2016
very informative.

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by omoiyalayi(m): 6:32am On Oct 08, 2016
Now. May God help me

Beside I don't go out wit d car everyday, even wen I do its just 4rm my house to work & back

U ve 2 think of fuel too

May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Bishop4bella(m): 6:35am On Oct 08, 2016
[quote author=asumo12 post=50014383]What if am not driving my vehicle at all!

Your vehicle is at Rick too for not driving it at all

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Bishop4bella(m): 6:38am On Oct 08, 2016
[quote author=omoiyalayi post=50014490]I ve nt change my engine oil 4 abt 2 months
Now. May God help me

Beside I don't out wit d car everyday, even wen I do its just 4rm my house to work & back

U ve 2 think of fuel too

May God help us all.
You may not change it 2~3minths. It depend on vehicle distance cover [milage]

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by 989900: 6:46am On Oct 08, 2016
omoiyalayi:
Now. May God help me

Beside I don't go out wit d car everyday, even wen I do its just 4rm my house to work & back

U ve 2 think of fuel too

May God help us all.

It's more about oil type and mileage.

3 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by africanjink(m): 6:46am On Oct 08, 2016
Alright

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by localblood(m): 6:50am On Oct 08, 2016
Abeg oil too cost this days......

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by kenyguy(m): 6:53am On Oct 08, 2016
Nice info, remember to use the oil recommended by the manufacturers.
Thank You!!!

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by donciccio: 7:03am On Oct 08, 2016
Guys, it depends on mileage. IMO, for 2005 model cars upward use specified synthetic class oil and service atmost mileage coverage of 3000. Although often times I service mine before covering 3000 and I use Honda specified oil 5W20.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by ironheart(m): 7:08am On Oct 08, 2016
Going synthetic can do a lot of magic on your car. Most especially when the right oil grade is used.

2 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by d33types: 7:10am On Oct 08, 2016
The summary of the post is simply damaged engine.

Majority of Nigerian car owners don't know squat about crankshaft,camshaft failure ,sludge etc.they don't even care as far the car can crank and move

I just hope Oga gaz,ik etc dont deactivate too, like siena.

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by xandro101(m): 7:16am On Oct 08, 2016
Guys, I have Mobil 1 5W-20 and Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil 5qts (4.73litres) imported from the US. I have over 100 jugs. Contact me on 09054039108. I will ship to any part of the country. If you are in Port Harcourt, I will deliver it to you in person.

2 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by Coolcash1: 7:21am On Oct 08, 2016
I normally advise for used cars its better to use month than mileage to determine frequency of service. This is due to a lot of factors affecting reliability of some used cars and to avoid any disappointment, i usually recommend it to be done at minimum 4 times a year ( depending on usage).

I take this issue very seriously and I make bold to say there has never been any regrets so far.

Another thing that elongates useful life of a vehicle is proactive/preventive maintenance culture and not reactive. I have observed that most Nigerians have this terrible attitude of waiting for the car to break down or almost before doing the needful. that's why their cars mess them up when its unexpected. Don't wait until your car breaks down before you visit a mechanic workshop for early detection and fixing.

I practice preventive maintenance a lot and whenever I want to upgrade , I give warranty to whoever is buying my car..Just for the buyer to know he's buying a Car and not "Mortoo"... grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by stankezzy: 7:25am On Oct 08, 2016
I don't believe this , I have been driving my toyota corola car for almost two years now with out changing the oil and still , e no de develop fault

3 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by lonelydora: 7:26am On Oct 08, 2016
xandro101:
Guys, I have Mobil 1 5W-20 and Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil 5qts (4.73litres) imported from the US. I have over 100 jugs. Contact me on 09054039108. I will ship to any part of the country. If you are in Port Harcourt, I will deliver it to you in person.

How much per gallon? I'm in PH.

2 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by lonelydora: 7:26am On Oct 08, 2016
stankezzy:
I don't believe this , I have been driving my toyota corola car for almost two years now with out changing the oil and still , e no de develop fault

Say good bye to that engine soon.

12 Likes

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by perfectwazobia1: 7:34am On Oct 08, 2016
lonelydora:

Say good bye to that engine soon.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) by d33types: 7:38am On Oct 08, 2016
stankezzy:
smh. Such ignorance

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When An Engine "Knocks" - These Are Some Likely Causes / The Rate At Which Fuel Burn So Fast Right Now Scares Me / Lagos To Auction 108 Forfeited, Abandoned Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.