Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. (1534 Views)

Conditions For Marriage In Mountain Of Fire Ministries (pics) / Misconceptions You Should Clear Of Your Mind As Saints Of God / Dealing With Misconceptions : 10 Things The Bible Never Said About Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 6:20am On Jan 21, 2015
Misconception 1: Polygamy.
Truth: Polygamy is not the ideal plan of God for marriage, however it is not a sin. Jesus said in Matthew 19:4: And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made[a] them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?[c] 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate. He was simply stating the ideal plan for marriage.
In exodus 21:10, it states, If he takes another wife, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights. The only people who were advised to not have multiple wives were kings. It was a rule not because of sin but so that the king's mind would not be turned.
Wealth and inheritance was at the hands of the males so that he could take care of the wife he married. Females were not educated. So in order for women to not turn to prostitution, or die, they were married to a man. Polygamy decreased because of the rise of Christianity which influenced many cultures.

[b]#2. First - Cousin Marriage
: I was scrolling through a thread about how Saudi Arabia was trying to end inbreeding and the person mentioned that the Judeo-Christian religion ended marriage between first cousins. The only place people quote is leviticus 18:7 "'No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the LORD." The problem with that is that it doesn't end first cousin marriage. The next verses actually state which close relatives God was talking about. If God could mention uncle and aunts, was he too lazy to slot in cousins? Even from a scientific point of view, a chances of a child having a birth defect from cousins is the same as a 40 year old woman and nobody stops a 40 year woman from giving birth. In fact two cousin marriages are performed after the laws of Leviticus were said. Eleazar's daughters married their cousins. 1 chronicles 23:22. Zelophehad's daughters also married their cousins. These were the women who were fighting for their right to claim inheritance from their father since the father bore no son, Numbers 36:11. Why would Moses consecrate a marriage between cousins if it was forbidden by God. In fact it can be said that the israelites were an inbreeding nations because they were advised to not marry outside each clan/tribe, for inheritance sake and nations, for holiness sake.
Cousin marriage for the most part is lesser among people who see their cousins regularly and popular among people who rarely see or know their cousins. Someone in my family of my mother married his cousin although his mother didn't want him to. What is popular now is Endogamy which is marrying within one ethnicity while rejecting others.

I shall be adding more by the grace of God but in the mean time, please feel free to add yours and if there is any question, feel free to ask.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Unionised(m): 6:40am On Jan 21, 2015
OP, feel free to lead by example.

Marry your own cousin from your father's side.

Then take a second wife too ( I suggest a cousin from your mother's side).

To finally convince us, please arrange your first daughter with your brother's son.

Not forgetting your son.
I'm sure he would love your sister's daughter.

Trouble dey sleep, yanga go wake am.
SMH

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 6:58am On Jan 21, 2015
Unionised:
OP, feel free to lead by example.

Marry your own cousin from your father's side.

Then take a second wife too ( I suggest a cousin from your mother's side).

To finally convince us, please arrange your first daughter with your brother's son.

Not forgetting your son.
I'm sure he would love your sister's daughter.

Trouble dey sleep, yanga go wake am.
SMH

Where did I say I was going to do it. I was only stating that the people who do it are not sinning against the law of God although Believers are advised to obey the laws of the land. So if a state was to ban it, Christians have to respect the law. Jesus turned water to wine, he didn't drink out of it. He spoke about marriage, yet he didn't perform any nor did he marry. Peter spoke about eating pork not being sinful, he did not eat it as he still followed his Jewish customs but said it so that gentiles who came to Christ would not be discouraged. Same for circumcision. A preacher who preaches that drinking is not sinful except drunkenness does not mean the preacher would go an start drinking star. My point is just because you no like something no mean say God hate am.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by ayoku777(m): 7:27am On Jan 21, 2015
Just because something is not explicitly or formally forbidden in scripture doesn't mean we should indulge our lust in it. That's a carnal abuse of the privilege of choice.

I believe we should mature and love God to a point in our christian walk where we would desire Christ-likeness so much that we would not do what Christ won't do even if the scripture doesn't formally forbid such an act.

I've heard someone say only bishops and deacons are mandated to be husbands of one wife. That the option is open for other believers.

The issue is, is polygamy an option in Christ-likeness even if not formally forbidden?

All these excuses are raised by people who want to indulge their lust without guilt; so they use what scriptures didn't formally forbid to justify practising their excesses.

We should try and be like Paul who said;

1Cor 6v12 -All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful unto me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

To prove its important, he repeated it again:

1Cor 10v23 -All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expenient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

It think we should have this motto too over many things the bible did not formally forbid but that Christ wouldn't do.

I for one believe drinking alcohol is not a sin, except you get drunk. Even so, the last time I took wine was new year's day 2013. I'm not saying drinking is bad or that I will not drink it ever again. No, but I just haven't taken it since 2013 January.

And that was becasue I discovered alcohol, caffeine etc leave toxins in the blood that makes fasting thrice as hard as it should be (and I wait on the Lord regularly). And secondly is the fact that they have addictive substances that make you long for the next taste.

Christ-likeness is becoming more important to me than my comfort, even if it is a comfort not forbidden by scripture. We should all try to do that too.

You see, there are things bible doesn't call sins, but it calls them "weights" -that easily beset.

Hebrews 12v1 -Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside EVERY WEIGHT, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.

Some things are not sins, but they are weights all the same, and can sabotage your strive at being your best as a christian, or make it extra hard. Such habits won't cost you Christ but can cost you Christ-likeness.

Let's esteem Christ-likeness even over carnal comforts not formally forbidden in scripture.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Unionised(m): 7:37am On Jan 21, 2015
naijaboyof4life:

Where did I say I was going to do it. I was only stating that the people who do it are not sinning against the law of God although Believers are advised to obey the laws of the land. So if a state was to ban it, Christians have to respect the law. Jesus turned water to wine, he didn't drink out of it. He spoke about marriage, yet he didn't perform any nor did he marry. Peter spoke about eating pork not being sinful, he did not eat it as he still followed his Jewish customs but said it so that gentiles who came to Christ would not be discouraged. Same for circumcision. A preacher who preaches that drinking is not sinful except drunkenness does not mean the preacher would go an start drinking star. My point is just because you no like something no mean say God hate am.

Preach what you practice sir.

Don't mislead people.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Nutase: 7:59am On Jan 21, 2015
grin
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 5:40pm On Jan 21, 2015
ayoku777:
Just because something is not explicitly or formally forbidden in scripture doesn't mean we should indulge our lust in it. That's a carnal abuse of the privilege of choice.

I believe we should mature and love God to a point in our christian walk where we would desire Christ-likeness so much that we would not do what Christ won't do even if the scripture doesn't formally forbid such an act.

I've heard someone say only bishops and deacons are mandated to be husbands of one wife. That the option is open for other believers.

The issue is, is polygamy an option in Christ-likeness even if not formally forbidden?

All these excuses are raised by people who want to indulge their lust without guilt; so they use what scriptures didn't formally forbid to justify practising their excesses.

We should try and be like Paul who said;

1Cor 6v12 -All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful unto me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

To prove its important, he repeated it again:

1Cor 10v23 -All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expenient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

It think we should have this motto too over many things the bible did not formally forbid but that Christ wouldn't do.

I for one believe drinking alcohol is not a sin, except you get drunk. Even so, the last time I took wine was new year's day 2013. I'm not saying drinking is bad or that I will not drink it ever again. No, but I just haven't taken it since 2013 January.

And that was becasue I discovered alcohol, caffeine etc leave toxins in the blood that makes fasting thrice as hard as it should be (and I wait on the Lord regularly). And secondly is the fact that they have addictive substances that make you long for the next taste.

Christ-likeness is becoming more important to me than my comfort, even if it is a comfort not forbidden by scripture. We should all try to do that too.

You see, there are things bible doesn't call sins, but it calls them "weights" -that easily beset.

Hebrews 12v1 -Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside EVERY WEIGHT, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.

Some things are not sins, but they are weights all the same, and can sabotage your strive at being your best as a christian, or make it extra hard. Such habits won't cost you Christ but can cost you Christ-likeness.

Let's esteem Christ-likeness even over carnal comforts not formally forbidden in scripture.

Everyone seem to not get the point of the post. I never said it was advisable or people should do it. We Christians like to call what is not sin, sin either from misinterpretation or from what we are told. I for one don't like polygamy but I am talking about it not being a sin. I was talking in response to people who say it is a sin. The Apostles said it was not sin to eat meat like pork but they themselves didn't do it as they still adhere to their Jewish customs. All I'm saying is those who did it in the past and those who do it right now have not committed sin. That is the point I'm trying to bring out. If you look at the old testament, the kings WERE the only ones God restricted it to so that their minds wouldn't be turned. Paul also said a bishop has to have one wife. It makes sense for leaders of the church have to be an example for the people in the church. In my church, the pastor's wife don't wear earrings nor have they condemned it. That was point. May God help us the more.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 6:20pm On Jan 21, 2015
Unionised:

Preach what you practice sir.

Don't mislead people.
I was not preaching. I was only stating what is not sinful but it does not mean it is advisable. When Paul told people what eating pork is not a sin, that doesn't mean he or any other jew christian at the time ate pork. God's plan was the Children of Israel would be ruled by him through the prophets but they wanted a king and it wasn't counted as sin. Jesus explicitly said that the Disciples should never be lord over themselves. So there was no such as G.O, in fact they were never to accept being called teacher or father by the people they were preaching to but there were to be shepherds. That was why in the early church, the elders were the ones shepherding the church not one person. The church setting has strayed away from the plan of God but yet it is not counted as sin. Hope you are getting what I'm trying to say.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Unionised(m): 7:05pm On Jan 21, 2015
naijaboyof4life:

I was not preaching. I was only stating what is not sinful but it does not mean it is advisable. When Paul told people what eating pork is not a sin, that doesn't mean he or any other jew christian at the time ate pork. God's plan was the Children of Israel would be ruled by him through the prophets but they wanted a king and it wasn't counted as sin. Jesus explicitly said that the Disciples should never be lord over themselves. So there was no such as G.O, in fact they were never to accept being called teacher or father by the people they were preaching to but there were to be shepherds. That was why in the early church, the elders were the ones shepherding the church not one person. The church setting has strayed away from the plan of God but yet it is not counted as sin. Hope you are getting what I'm trying to say.

What's the aim of your post then?

If you can't do it, why preach it?

Don't mislead people.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 7:12pm On Jan 21, 2015
Unionised:

What's the aim of your post then?

If you can't do it, why preach it?

Don't mislead people.

My aim was to say that there are things that are not sin. If I say not paying tithe is not a sin, it doesn't mean I would stop paying tithe. My point is those who happen to do it are not sinning. I have seen people being told that they are Christian enough because they are a polygamous family.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Unionised(m): 7:32pm On Jan 21, 2015
naijaboyof4life:

My aim was to say that there are things that are not sin. If I say not paying tithe is not a sin, it doesn't mean I would stop paying tithe. My point is those who happen to do it are not sinning. I have seen people being told that they are Christian enough because they are a polygamous family.

If you say it's not a sin, then it's permissible.

But you can't do it.

And you are encouraging others to do same?

Is that not two-faced on your part?

PREACH ONLY WHAT YOU PRACTICE.

Leave well alone what you do not fully understand.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 8:57pm On Jan 21, 2015
Unionised:

If you say it's not a sin, then it's permissible.

But you can't do it.

And you are encouraging others to do same?

Is that not two-faced on your part?

PREACH ONLY WHAT YOU PRACTICE.

Leave well alone what you do not fully understand.
Where was I encouraging others? I was talking in terms of people who do it that those who do it are not doing anything sinful. I clearly stated that One man one woman is the ideal plan of the creator. So many we times we stray from the ideal of the creator but it is not counted as sin. This is about what would lead to salvation or damnation not what is ideal. I can't marry more than one wives because it is of interest to me and I'm not that type of person but there are people who do it and they are told that they are sinning or they are less of a christian. Not going to church is not a sin but we are advised to not forsake the assembly of brothers and sisters in Christ. Am I advocating for people to not go to church? No. Is it something that I would advise someone to do? No. I am talking in terms of people who don't and they are seen as less of a Christian.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Vinx4Christ(m): 9:12pm On Jan 21, 2015
naijaboyof4life:

Where was I encouraging others? I was talking in terms of people who do it that those who do it are not doing anything sinful. I clearly stated that One man one woman is the ideal plan of the creator. So many we times we stray from the ideal of the creator but it is not counted as sin. This is about what would lead to salvation or damnation not what is ideal. I can't marry more than one wives because it is of interest to me and I'm not that type of person but there are people who do it and they are told that they are sinning or they are less of a christian. Not going to church is not a sin but we are advised to not forsake the assembly of brothers and sisters in Christ. Am I advocating for people to not go to church? No. Is it something that I would advise someone to do? No. I am talking in terms of people who don't and they are seen as less of a Christian.

what is d aim of ur post then?

because all I see here is heresy

this teaching cannot convice a sinner to change instead, it will convice him to continue

what is really on ur mind?
To gain attention or to win soul?

Is dis a carnal teaching? Or holy spirit leading?

So if u see sombody involving in dis act u will tell d fellow bravo u are ontrack?

Ha pls examine ur salvation very well
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 9:53pm On Jan 21, 2015
Vinx4Christ:

what is d aim of ur post then?

because all I see here is heresy

this teaching cannot convice a sinner to change instead, it will convice him to continue

what is really on ur mind?
To gain attention or to win soul?

Is dis a carnal teaching? Or holy spirit leading?

So if u see sombody involving in dis act u will tell d fellow bravo u are ontrack?

Ha pls examine ur salvation very well
The aim of the post is to tackle misconceptions. What do you know about heresy. You should check the meaning of heresy. This has nothing to do with attention gaining or winning soul but instead to show that just because we don't like something does not make it sinful. This was about marriage not lust, so how will I act someone in something that is not an act. Someone told me polygamy and I did my research and I saw that it was the contrary. Though it is not ideal plan of God, however those who are in a polygamous marriage are not committing sin. That is my point. This has nothing to do with salvation as there is no marriage in heaven. This is about tackling misconception. Growing up I was taught drinking was a sin and then I did research and found out it wasn't a sin but instead getting drunk was the sin.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Unionised(m): 10:07pm On Jan 21, 2015
naijaboyof4life:

I think you are confused sir.

You can't be encouraging people to do what you cannot do.

Where is the moral there?
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 12:28am On Jan 22, 2015
Unionised:

I think you are confused sir.

You can't be encouraging people to do what you cannot do.

Where is the moral there?

I did no where encouraged it. I said one man one woman is the ideal plan but anyone who finds themselves in a polygamous marriage are not committing sin. A pastor running for office is not something I encourage but those who find themselves in such a situation have not committed sin. It is not a matter of moral but a matter of ideality.
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by Vinx4Christ(m): 7:55am On Jan 22, 2015
naijaboyof4life:

The aim of the post is to tackle misconceptions. What do you know about heresy. You should check the meaning of heresy. This has nothing to do with attention gaining or winning soul but instead to show that just because we don't like something does not make it sinful. This was about marriage not lust, so how will I act someone in something that is not an act. Someone told me polygamy and I did my research and I saw that it was the contrary. Though it is not ideal plan of God, however those who are in a polygamous marriage are not committing sin. That is my point. This has nothing to do with salvation as there is no marriage in heaven. This is about tackling misconception. Growing up I was taught drinking was a sin and then I did research and found out it wasn't a sin but instead getting drunk was the sin.

hmmmm bro pls can u quote a Bible verse that says drink but dont be drunk?

If u are a pastor I wonder what u will be feedind ur members?
Re: Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible. by naijaboyof4life(m): 4:36pm On Jan 22, 2015
Vinx4Christ:

hmmmm bro pls can u quote a Bible verse that says drink but dont be drunk?

If u are a pastor I wonder what u will be feedind ur members?

Proverbs 23:20 Don't drink too much wine and get drunk; don't eat too much food and get fat.

Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit,

Proverbs 31:6 Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish!

Psalm 104:15 wine that gladdens human hearts, oil to make their faces shine, and bread that sustains their hearts

1 Timothy 5:23 No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

I am not a pastor, neither do I wish to be one. Pastors preach posterity and demons affecting people's prosperity instead of teaching the word of God so that people will understand it. I am not the type to go to church and come back and leave my bible till next meeting. God bless.

(1) (Reply)

Some Examples Of How The Qur’an Corrects The Bible - Part 1 / Moringa seed growth hormone / After 20 Years Of Marriage Israel Houghton And Meleasa Are Officially Divorced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.