Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

A Tale Of Two Worlds: Paris And Baga Killings. (punch Newspapers) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Tale Of Two Worlds: Paris And Baga Killings. (punch Newspapers) (568 Views)

Boko Haram Attacks Monguno And Baga / Obanikoro Sues Sahara Reporters, Premium Times & Punch Newspapers / Checkout General Buhari's Touching Messages On Insecurity And Baga Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Tale Of Two Worlds: Paris And Baga Killings. (punch Newspapers) by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 21, 2015
One of the myriad reasons why President Jonathan will not be re-elected come February 14th. A very apt article by Mr Emmanuel Nwachukwu.

On the same week this January, two events happened across two continents: One in Paris, France and the other in Baga, North-East Nigeria. They were both terrorists’ acts, one involving the murder of 17 French citizens and the other, the massacre of up to 2,000 Nigerian citizens by Boko Haram. Although federal authorities downgraded this estimate to 150, the account of locals was a slaughter of unprecedented proportions: “…the whole of Baga was full of bodies; people were killed like animals”. What was certain was that no one stayed behind to count the bodies, not even the military. Amnesty International’s satellite image of Baga after the massacre revealed the scale of the destruction, with more than 3,000 buildings set alight.

There are obvious parallels to be drawn from the events in Paris and Baga. Within days of the Paris shootings, the French president, Francois Hollande, declared a day of mourning for the dead and rallied his people round for a march in defiance of the terrorist attack. The march was unprecedented, attended by over 40 world leaders who joined hands to lead a procession of over 1.5 million Parisians. The murdered police officers were posthumously awarded France’s highest gallantry honour in a state funeral led by the French president. Such a privilege is only reserved for the political elite in Nigeria.

Whilst the world and its leaders rallied round France in expressing revulsion at the murders, the incident in Baga was almost a non-event. It was as if those who died in Baga had no brothers or sisters or parents or friends or even a nationality. They were lesser human beings, it seemed. In Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan and his All Progressives Congress opponent, Muhammadu Buhari, continued their campaigns for next month’s elections as if nothing had happened in Baga. Even the nation’s official TV station, the Nigerian Television Authority, barely gave the Baga massacre the airtime it deserved. Those that died were not human beings, they were flies. If this was not even news in Nigeria, how can you expect others to rally round you? A BBC commentator once remarked at the height of the #BringBackOurGirls world demonstrations that there were more people demonstrating in the streets of London and other world capitals than in Lagos or Abuja.

Whilst those who died in France had names, the dead in Nigeria nay Baga will remain unsung. There will be no cenotaph to remember where they fell. It is a tale of two worlds.

There are perhaps lessons our leaders will do well to draw from the way the French government handled their tragedy. On the same day of the shootings in Paris, the French president was on TV straightaway to address the nation and rally his people. In Nigeria, we are still waiting for our President to comment on Baga. We have heard from Amnesty International; we have heard from the CNN and the BBC; we have heard from Aljazeera and other world news media, but silence from our President. This is what is frustrating for Nigerian observers. At times like this, people need to see their President visible and leading from the front. They need to see their President empathising with the people and giving them hope. You don’t wait weeks or months to do this, at the prompting of the media. Likewise, you don’t delegate this assignment to a Mr Mike Omeri or any other government official. On matters of national importance like this, the world would expect to see none other than the President, as we saw in France. If you are not quick on your feet to tell your own narrative, others will tell it for you and put you on the defensive! This same pattern was played out when the Chibok girls were abducted. It took weeks after the international community had begun to express concerns for our President to address the nation and even much longer for him to meet with the families of the kidnapped girls. Even this was prompted by the visit of the Pakistani female activist, Malala Yousafzai.

Whilst Jonathan’s recent surprise visit to Maiduguri is welcome, one cannot help but ask the question, why now? This should have happened many months ago. There is no doubt that the President has recorded some key achievements, not least, the resurrection of the railways and the privatisation of power, (which will take some years to manifest), but his advisers have served him badly. They have shown very poor judgment on some critical decisions. You do not deal with a problem by pretending it is not there or by playing down its significance.

Within two days of the Paris killings, the Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, was in France commiserating with the families of the four Jews killed in the Paris attacks. He did not wait for the families of the bereaved to come to him; he went to them and arranged for the bodies of the deceased to be flown back to Israel for burial. This is the kind of empathy that is lacking in our leaders, across the political divide. You don’t invite bereaved families to Aso Rock like Jonathan did to the parents of the Chibok girls – you go to where they are, whether in Jos or Maiduguri – just the same way presidential visits are made often to the families of bereaved “big men”. It shows empathy and endears the leader to his people as we saw in France. It sends the message to the grieving families that they are not alone, and that the nation is with them in their grief.

Almost on a daily basis, the destruction of lives and property continues brazenly in Northern Nigeria, largely unreported. Whoever emerges as Nigeria’s president after the February elections must govern for the people and unite the nation against this Boko Haram insurgency. We must address the concerns of our foot soldiers and support our military in the fight against this enemy. President Jonathan must look again at the strategy being deployed to fight this war.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/a-tale-of-two-worlds-paris-and-baga-killings/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Tale Of Two Worlds: Paris And Baga Killings. (punch Newspapers) by youngice(m): 9:55am On Jan 21, 2015
can u believe this, the life of the indigenes of north eastern nigeria has been commonized
i feared that this day would come and now it has arrived,boko-haram has killed so much that
even WE nigerians in other geopolitical zones have accepted death of our brothers and sisters in the NE
as a norm

2 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Two Worlds: Paris And Baga Killings. (punch Newspapers) by ORACLE1975(m): 9:57am On Jan 21, 2015
but why?
Re: A Tale Of Two Worlds: Paris And Baga Killings. (punch Newspapers) by Stoical: 11:49am On Jan 21, 2015
I like your writeup and as such, I had to reason with you, thus;

Just like you've posited. The president maybe having a lot to do with regards to who he chooses as his Chief of Staff (from my believe, such a person informs/advices him of who to and who not to employ...be it an adviser, director or if possible, ministerial post. Yes, I feel whoever is the COS has failed and as such the president should seek for a better replacement.

The Paris event may not be a good comparison to baga event...reason not unconnected to my above comments and also Nigeria is still growing to that level(pardon my pessimism, but we are slowly getting there).

I would want to say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel with regards to giving the populace power to choose their leader(it may not be bright enough). So, I give kudos to this government for that. And, I pray we can find a way to accept the outcome of this election without violence, irrespective of who wins. So that we can build from there... Because the challenges for whoever leads will always be juxtaposed between serving the whole country and trying to appease a section of the country, which the later shouldn't be the case.

Yeah! In as much as I blame the President, whom with all the resources within his reach, has failed to utilise such, in order not to be seen as stepping on toes. Thereby recording dismal results...I still excuse him for some few reasons and I feel he may...I stress MAY act differently with regards to those: corruption fighting wise, security wise, etc.

So, I submit!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins Endorses (Akinwunmi Ambode) As The Next Governor Of Lagos State / Rivers State PDP Calls Amaechi / Boko Haram Nigeria Had Lost Over 20 Army Personel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.