Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,560 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Black People And Christmas Gift - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black People And Christmas Gift (3260 Views)

Racism/Colorism Prejudice Against Lightskin & Mixed "Black" People / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? / Igbos And Christmas Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2008
ummmm, why is it that black people find it hard to share christmas gift? we have the black awareness org in my schl. i am closed to 5 people in that org all black smiley. I send out christmas gift to 3 nigerians among them and 2 of the AA. i get something too from the AA even when i don't send anything. . . but for the nigerian ones, nothing not even a thank you card. na wa are we that broke?

i think i better keep my money from now on and give it to salvation army cheesy
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 6:39pm On Dec 22, 2008
Has a Nigerian ever given you a Christmas present?

why would you give them anything?

Only time they do is when they are FORCED to, with 'secret santa" at most work places. Other than that, they dont

Cant say I really blame them cos in naija Christmas is more about the celebration than gift giving.

either way, dont give them unless you know they're gonna give you something jare.

I got a lovely Jessica Simpson bag from a coworker. I think Im gonna get her the Arden perfume set.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 6:56pm On Dec 22, 2008
true am begining to think again. this is the 3rd christmas in a role that i have wrapped gifts for all. seems i will have to return the 3 gifts to the store and get my money back. the first and second time, i didn't care but now i do because it is like habit that is hard to break. even last year that i didn't have enough to go round, i still was able to get something little like make up set, scarves etc. i just wanted them to know how to share. . .

i could tell they loved the gift the past years. i am giving the AA ones the gifts and taking the rest back to the store later grin
am yet to open the gifts from the AA ladies cheesy
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by AloyEmeka9: 7:02pm On Dec 22, 2008
Has a Nigerian ever given you a Christmas present?

why would you give them anything?

Only time they do is when they are FORCED to, with 'secret santa" at most work places. Other than that, they don't

can't say I really blame them because in naija Christmas is more about the celebration than gift giving.

either way, don't give them unless you know they're going to give you something jare.

I got a lovely Jessica Simpson bag from a coworker. I think I'm going to get her the Arden perfume set.

Who tell you that one? Wetin be christmas now without gifts and food. We just don't wrap them because that way, you will know when tribalists like TPIA are giving you a box full of shit. Christmas gifts in igbo land is one sided though because it's always from the working class to the non working class. You don't know how many cousins, nephews and nieces am owing gifts this xmas. They will troop into my house from 25th until 1st to collect their goodies. It's fun, I tell you.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:10pm On Dec 22, 2008
Aloy your obesession with Tpia is just creepy now. Is your "fiancee" aware that you are obsessed with another woman? Wetin concern Tpia in this thread?

and NO Naija doesnt give gifts. Most you here is family buying or sweing Christmas clothes for their kids. People make food but gift giving? Um No.

*Hauwa*:

true am begining to think again. this is the 3rd christmas in a role that i have wrapped gifts for all. seems i will have to return the 3 gifts to the store and get my money back. the first and second time, i didn't care but now i do because it is like habit that is hard to break. even last year that i didn't have enough to go round, i still was able to get something little like make up set, scarves etc. i just wanted them to know how to share. . .

i could tell they loved the gift the past years. i am giving the AA ones the gifts and taking the rest back to the store later grin
am yet to open the gifts from the AA ladies cheesy

Yea just give the AAs. You'll surely get something back. Return the stuff for the Nigerians and give it to Salvation Army. At least then you know that your money is helping others who actually do appreciate it. Like soup kitchens, homeless shelters, heating people's homes, etc. The ones you are dealing with are just shameless
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by JJYOU: 7:17pm On Dec 22, 2008
nigerians mostly give to people they can get from.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:18pm On Dec 22, 2008
JJYOU:

nigerians mostly give to people they can get from.

yet omoge's coworkers arent. shameless bunch.

Its one thing not to just give for the sake of it. It's another to STILL not give when someone gives you something. Embarrassing
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 7:21pm On Dec 22, 2008
Alloy Emeka i think family yes but not others.

thanks Karma i will definitely do that. i hope they don't observe it that nothing for them this year but for the others AA's. for those far away, am send out cards. guess what i have many cards here already sent to me and all are from the oyinbos in my church none from the naija in the church. we all know each others o. so Emeka, you are wrong.

we have to learn how to share and to do for others. imagine if they eventually have lots of money. . . i doubt it if they are going to give back.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by AloyEmeka9: 7:22pm On Dec 22, 2008
Aloy your obesession with Tpia is just creepy now. Is your "fiancee" aware that you are obsessed with another woman? Wetin concern Tpia in this thread?  

and NO Naija doesnt give gifts. Most you here is family buying or sweing Christmas clothes for their kids. People make food but gift giving? Um No.

You wan tell me wetin we dey do again? What are these gifts anyway? bicycles, clothes etc. we do it but the only difference is we dont tell kids they are from santa. We tell them they are from us. Because our gifts may not match with the toys they buy in America doesn't mean we don't exchange gifts. Employers are mandated to make gifts to their staff(at least igbo employers) etc.

Why u no come home sef make I give you GT this christmas?. You for come home now and take a breathe of fresh air from Tpia. na only GT i wan give you before you will claim that I am chasing you. I don't want any  trouble from my woman.  Merry christmas jare.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by AloyEmeka9: 7:25pm On Dec 22, 2008

You give to your girlfriends, employees, orphanages via the church etc. Do Americans give to people walking by the street else I will tell you to get one for me? . They give to those in their family, fellow employees, bosses, mistresses etc.

Funny enough, our girlfriends rarely give us christmas gifts. they always take away from us.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:27pm On Dec 22, 2008
*Hauwa*:

thanks Karma i will definitely do that. i hope they don't observe it that nothing for them this year but for the others AA's. for those far away, am send out cards. guess what i have many cards here already sent to me and all are from the oyinbos in my church none from the naija in the church. we all know each others o. so Emeka, you are wrong.

we have to learn how to share and to do for others. imagine if they eventually have lots of money. . . i doubt it if they are going to give back.

Dont give the AAs the gifts in front of the "naijians" jo o! before they place juju upon your head tongue

Just give them cards
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 22, 2008
its not part of our culture really. think back to when you were a child . . . who was wrapping gifts for you every christmas besides your parents?

All these forcefull attempts to adopt American lifestyle just because they seem civilized seems to be more obsessive these days.  undecided

Get a reality check people. If you give gifts and no nigeria gives you one in return why are you bothered? Are you gifting with the sole purpose of getting something back?

I dont remember any of my friends and i exchanging anything for christmas but we always hung out together and had fun for the 25-26th . . . far better than any gifting.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by JJYOU: 7:29pm On Dec 22, 2008
KarmaMod:

yet omoge's coworkers arent. shameless bunch.

Its one thing not to just give for the sake of it. It's another to STILL not give when someone gives you something. Embarrassing
it is better to give people you dont expect anything from
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:30pm On Dec 22, 2008
who's talking about adopting "american culture" now?  
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:30pm On Dec 22, 2008
JJYOU:

it is better to give people you don't expect anything from

indeed which is why I said she should give it to charity instead
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 7:31pm On Dec 22, 2008
haha i will go to one dollar store to get a less than a dollar's card that way my money still not lost.

true not in their presence. it would have been fun to watch their reaction bringing the gift to our last get together before hols (if i wan do wicked)
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:32pm On Dec 22, 2008
*Hauwa*:

true not in their presence. it would have been fun to watch their reaction bringing the gift to our last get together before hols (if i wan do wicked)

lol tempting yes. but don't even bother

If they want to be shameless THREE years in a row, let them. At leats you've now learned a lesson.

abeg there are other people who need it more
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 7:37pm On Dec 22, 2008
JJ
that's true. i never expected anything from them year 1 and 2. when you see pple like what you do to them, you will feel good to do more. but when it is like you are the only one giving, you will begin to think.

even if not for me, it would be nice to see you wrapping gifts for others. we all live in the sch aprt housing so i know (before anyone ask how did you know grin). maybe they are broke undecided
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:40pm On Dec 22, 2008
Broke doesnt stop you from being courteous enough to give a thank you card or offer a plate of cookies.

abeggggi

I bet they are expecting your yearly gifts now sef. Awon long throats oshi grin grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KB1(m): 11:36pm On Dec 22, 2008
Well I guess this discussion once again proves that most of you go waaaay overboard in your claims of that we AA are mean and nasty to you'all (Africans, in general). From what I've observed and as the OP has expressed; you'all receive much more negativity from your own than you do from AA, and you know it's true so don't fib and say it's not.

When it comes right down to it, we are generally a fair, honest goodhearted people, though I'd admit that we do like to take the JOKING to the extremes sometimes. Just to let you know; if we really didn't like you, then we would even bother with you. We'd just simply ignore you, It'll be as though you didn't even exist to us as is the case with many other groups of people.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KB1(m): 11:47pm On Dec 22, 2008
By the way, isn't the name Hauwa of Hausa origin? What is a Hausa girl doing celebrating Christmas? I thought they were a Muslim ethnic group. undecided
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by tRoOE(f): 1:05am On Dec 23, 2008
Nigerians are useless when it comes to gifts!! Selfish people lipsrsealed
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 2:17am On Dec 23, 2008
KB1, now go snuff some tobacco and play with AA okay. who invited you here?

how did you know Hauwa is hausa and can't be christian? walahi mai da hankali fa before i snuff off your head with a Northern dagger tongue i see you are a nigeria AA wanna be ;

now merry christmas Hero grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 2:18am On Dec 23, 2008
Phew!! i have returned the gifts. i feel so good! money back guaranteed

lol tRoOE, so you have your own experience too haha. i thought it was only me o.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by 4Play(m): 2:22am On Dec 23, 2008
Christmas gifts. . . .God, I hate them. Women will love it because it's just another excuse for shopping.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 2:26am On Dec 23, 2008
not really, we feel being loved and love in return.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by 4Play(m): 2:37am On Dec 23, 2008
*Hauwa*:

not really, we feel being loved and love in return.

Yes, love as expressed by shopping.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 2:45am On Dec 23, 2008
right, christmas is a time to share remember that.

i hope you are done wrapping gift for your babe 4Play. if that's too much work, gift card should be fine. don't come empty cool
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by 4Play(m): 2:47am On Dec 23, 2008
*Hauwa*:

right, christmas is a time to share remember that.

i hope you are done wrapping gift for your babe 4Play. if that's too much work, gift card should be fine. don't come empty cool

There are ways to share that do not involve whipping out your debit/credit card. Wrapping gifts? That's rocket science to me, there are pre-wrapped gifts.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 2:51am On Dec 23, 2008
glad that you are aware there are pre wrapped gift smiley that's what am saying. you've got it, thanks. make sure you don't return it like i did.
i had to unwrap and look for the receipt to return the gifts. that felt so good though grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by LadyT(f): 2:52am On Dec 23, 2008
4 Play:

There are ways to share that do not involve whipping out your debit/credit card. Wrapping gifts? That's rocket science to me, there are pre-wrapped gifts.

Whatever your getting me it better be good!!!!!!!!!

angry

I hate present shopping very stressful
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by 4Play(m): 2:55am On Dec 23, 2008
*Hauwa*:

glad that you are aware there are pre wrapped gift  smiley that's what am saying. you've got it, thanks. make sure you don't return it like i did.
i had to unwrap and look for the receipt to return the gifts. that felt so good though grin

I once mooted the idea of a blender as xmas gift, very practical, and was given the impression I must be the dumbest lover on the planet.  sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Tribe Where Big Is Definitely Beautiful: Ethiopian Men Compete To Be The.... / Which Ethnic Nationality Has The Most Diverse / Best Dance Moves? / Did You Know About The Igbo People Of Jamaica?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.