Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,956 members, 7,838,410 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Black People And Christmas Gift - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black People And Christmas Gift (3264 Views)

Racism/Colorism Prejudice Against Lightskin & Mixed "Black" People / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? / Igbos And Christmas Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 3:03am On Dec 23, 2008
that's so lovely.

if it were me, i will love you forever. a lady who can cook loves kitchen stuff. but you know it might have been interpreted as ''see the naija man wants me to be a cook'' grin
kitchen gift for unmarried is a no no unless if the person loves cooking.

i don't want any kitchen gift from anyone unless from mom.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by 4Play(m): 3:04am On Dec 23, 2008
LadyT:

Whatever your getting me it better be good!!!!!!!!!
angry

I hate present shopping very stressful

The Lamborghini coffee maker. . .  . you can trust me to get the best things for you.  cool
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by LadyT(f): 3:12am On Dec 23, 2008
angry

Last time blender now this. 4play you better sleep in the spare room
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 3:18am On Dec 23, 2008
that's for you to be awake for business lipsrsealed
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by bluespice(f): 3:19am On Dec 23, 2008
he he he

i give pressies tho i must admit most 9gerians r not into the whole gifts xchange tradition

cant blame them

but hauwa ur friends sha grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 3:22am On Dec 23, 2008
yeah well, i have returned the gifts. if possible just a line of email saying merry christmas to them. a chain mail too.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KB1(m): 3:54am On Dec 23, 2008
Hauwa, I can tell that you're Hausa by your name. It's a typical Hausa name in which is easily noticed via the au (H[b]au[/b]wa) in it's spelling. Don't forget that I'm not you typical AA, in that I'm married to a Nigerian-American and thus have lot of Naija acquaintances. Oddly enough, I know more Hausa folks personally than any other group of Naija folks but Igbo in that my Wife's family is Igbo,  though her closes Naija friend is a Hausa sista, and one of our close neighbors who we often associate with is a Hausa sister who's married to this African-American Muslim brother. So yeah, don't assume what I know.

Now if you are, Christian, then that's just fine; I was just making light of the fact of that I've never met a Hausa who was not a Muslim. I hope you have a very nice holiday.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KB1(m): 4:10am On Dec 23, 2008
By the way, Hauwa, you used the term "Walahi". Typical of Muslims,  used to show honesty in your words, and meaning "Allah is my witness". Of course, this is not to say that you're Muslim,  in that I've noticed that many Arabic words have in time become standard within the Hausa language.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by tRoOE(f): 4:14am On Dec 23, 2008
[size=13pt]lol tRoOE, so you have your own experience too haha. i thought it was only me o.Too many
Have made up my mind not to befriend Naija people anymore
Am not into gifts , a card is enough for me
but single $2 card they can not give
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by SisiJinx: 5:18am On Dec 23, 2008
KB1:

By the way, Hauwa, you used the term "Walahi". Typical of Muslims,  used to show honesty in your words, and meaning "Allah is my witness". Of course, this is not to say that you're Muslim,  in that I've noticed that many Arabic words have in time become standard within the Hausa language.

Very observant of you!!  grin grin

See,  majority of the Hausas in Nigeria are Muslims, who read the Quran, so it it’s only natural that some Islamic (What you call Arabic) words would seep into our every day speak.

Eg

Madallah! – Excellent or perfect (Usually used when you get a desired result

Dan Allah – Please

Assalam Alaikum  -  Means peace be upon you. . . greeting uttered by someone who is about to enter another person’s home

Wa Aleykum As-Salaam,  which means and upon you be peace is the response from the person whose home is being entered

Wassalaam  - Goodbye

Allah kia ye – God forbid (said when you are ward off evil things, thoughts or deeds)

Allahu akbar – Mostly used to express surprise, loosely translated means "Great God/Good God"

Bismillah- often used to express shock or surprise. It is a short version of a long phrase which when loosely translated is equivalent to the

English/Christian “Lord have Mercy!”

Allah ya ishe mu or sometimes Allah Ya isa – God is more than everybody/ God is sufficient (This is used when two people are in dispute and one wants to concede without admitting fault. The rule of thumb is that the person who says this is not guilty because no one wants to call Allah to bear false witness)

Alhamdulillahi – means praise be to God but it is usually said by a person who sneezes (or at least that’s how I’ve heard it used)

Etc.
These words are spoken by Muslims and non-Muslims Hausa People

Sorry to derail your thread Hauwa but I couldn’t resist! It’s nice when people like KB1 show interest in things like this. grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 5:20am On Dec 23, 2008
KB1/Hero is an asshole, Sisi

Im disappointed in you sad
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Nobody: 5:24am On Dec 23, 2008
@ topic

Naija nor dey give when it's your birthday, but you expect them to give when it's someone else's birthday?

Na Jesus them born on the 25th, not you!
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by SisiJinx: 5:27am On Dec 23, 2008
KarmaMod:

KB1/Hero is an asshole, Sisi

I'm disappointed in you sad

Really! This is my first encounter with him fa!

Hehehehehe!
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 5:48am On Dec 23, 2008
hehehe Michelin89 bodiaye?

that was funny grin. the Lord said we should go and do good. the season is for sharing yet some don't know. you give give and give but they won't give you or anyone anything. like i said again, pwew it felt so good taking that gifts back. the refund is still in my purse grin

sisi, nagode kuma fa. ki fara makaranta hausawa grin

Hero is a proud son of the soil. will always tell you he married an igbo beauty Princess grin

i have a feeling he is a nig or maybe his parents are nig grin

KB1, am sure you know how to speak hausa by now.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 5:54am On Dec 23, 2008
He's an omo ale akata that disrespects Yorubas cos he's married to an alabajo
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by earTHMama: 6:50am On Dec 23, 2008
He's an omo ale akata that disrespects Yorubas because he's married to an alabajo
roflmao grin grin grin grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KB1(m): 7:10am On Dec 23, 2008
Sisi Jinx, that's for the lesson, although I knew all of those accept one. Many of my Muslim friends have taught me alot of stuff and I retain information very well. I enjoy speaking the Islamic lingo when I'm around them and other Muslims. Don't listen to the haters on here attempting to slander me, they love to ridicule me simply because I show a deep affinity for Igbo folks, which is only natural,  in that I'm married to an Igbo woman.  Yeah, I know what you're thinking, "How silly and foolish is that" right?   cheesy

I must admit that I'm not too happy about the things I hear about Hausa folks back in Nigeria,  though here in the US my experience with them has been very good. They tend to be a very kind, gentile and cordial people who I enjoy chatting with. They are also very charitable with what they have; always wanting to share something with you, and know something about you,  unlike some other Naija groups who tend to push you away if you're not of their group.  cheesy

Hauwa, I unfortunately don't know much Hausa though I like to hear them speak it. It's sounds very rhythmic and sexy when the women speak it, but most of all I like it when they haven't quite learned how to fluidly speak English and they attempt to say certain words; with the females it often sounds very cute the way they say them. I love it. Some have trouble sounding out certain letters in words and combination of letters,  though as always is the case, the young ones learn VERY quickly how to correct it and on top of that integrate all the new street lingo within their vocabulary. I'm sure you know all this though.

KarmaMod, It's not nice to refer to us as Akata. You should know by now that we don't like to be referred to by that name. And why are you calling my wife names? undecided
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 7:45am On Dec 23, 2008
maybe cos you're guilty of saying crap about Yorubas?
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by davidif: 8:39am On Dec 23, 2008
@poster
Its because we are not from as materialistic a culture as westerners (partly because we are from third world countries).
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by chisimdi(f): 9:09am On Dec 23, 2008
i usually dnt expect gifts frm my black co workers cos dey r nt givers at all.but i always embarrass dem wit one. grin grin grin grin grin grin i jst ope dey will change their attitude 2wards it. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by damiso(f): 12:50pm On Dec 23, 2008
chisimdi:

i usually dnt expect gifts frm my black co workers because dey r nt givers at all.but i always embarrass them wit one. grin grin grin grin grin grin i jst ope dey will change their attitude 2wards it. grin grin grin grin grin

Diffstrokes but my first chritmas card and gift this year was from a black caribbean co-worker that i normally do not get along with.i thinks she feels threatened by me wonder why undecided
as for nigerians gifts is not something we do at christmas.though i have always been a sucker for christmas gifts.my hubby is always saying that i am an onigbese wife reason being christmas is dec,my birthday is in jan,and i still want gift at valentine's day. grin poor bloke.i really will not mind if he skips onesha but sheeesh please don't tell him o wink
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by diasporian: 12:52pm On Dec 23, 2008
it is only a goat who genralises like you poster.

retract this thread or watch as your dik withers in between your legs.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by JustGood(m): 2:00pm On Dec 23, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

so you gave gifts because you expected them to give you something in return. Who is worse? You who gave in hypocrisy or those who did not give because they did not feel like giving?

Abeg make we hear word. Once una don dey oyibo land and una want dey do the things oyibo dey do, una come expect 9ja people to kill themselves just to do wetin oyibo dey do.

Christmas is about Jesus coming into the world to save sinners. It's about God giving us His most cherished in order for us to repent and be saved.

It is NOT about shamelessly sewing gifts in anticipation of getting return gifts.

Did those people come begging you for gifts? Do yu even know the meaning of a gift? Why do you expect something in return if you are GIVING? You expect someone to go and steal if he doesn't have money to buy gifts and you have given him a gift in anticipation of a return gift?
Please ask people if they have something to give you next time before giving gifts!

sheooorr
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by JustGood(m): 2:03pm On Dec 23, 2008
By the way, Nigerians cook food aplenty at christmas time and give generously to all and sundry in that way.

Must we do it the way you copied from oyibo? Haba shocked
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 2:16pm On Dec 23, 2008
so you gave gifts because you expected them to give you something in return. Who is worse? You who gave in hypocrisy or those who did not give because they did not feel like giving?

JustGood.

Hush jare.

Dont know what Nigeria you're from where people give you something and you cant show appreciation, not one, not twice, three times. Obviously some of us were raised differently to be grateful.

How do you give co-workers/housemates presents THREE YEARS IN A ROW and they cant even give one back or at the very least give a $1 dollar Thank You card.

At least for Salvation Army, they give you a tax write off as gratitude.

You people trying to make her feel bad have absolutely no idea on what you're talking about

Anyway thank God she returned the items sha. Nonsense. You say Nigerians are instead about making foos and such which is fine, what is stopping those greedy people from offering her even food.

abeg make we hear word. We're talkin about bad manners and you lot are bringing up "oyinbo culture", since when is having manners "oyinbo"

All these embarrassing excuses sha
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 4:27pm On Dec 23, 2008
@ diasporian

shocked shocked shocked

my dik withers? shocked grin
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 4:37pm On Dec 23, 2008
@ davidif?
not materialistic? you think so? i doubt it. i think Nigerians are more materialistic than an average oyinbo.

Justgood,

yes we give food during christmas. if we are in a different society, don't you think it is okay to go with the flow? no one needs your food oversea maybe the homeless and hungry student. . .but for friends you are closed to all year, work with, sch with etc don't you think it would be nice to share something with them? especially when they are giving you something during special hols. . .ummm giving is a good habit. .
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2008
Justgood,
she emi lo fun sheoor? wo sho ra e o, ma je kin ko werepe si ara e. emi o kin wa ija, sugbon, to ba wa ija mi, lipsrsealed

mo ni ori mewa sho o gbo?

read the original post again before you talk from your ass man. no curse here. share your thought and move.
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by KarmaMod(f): 6:14pm On Dec 23, 2008
I got your back jare

hehhe grin tongue
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by SisiJinx: 6:41pm On Dec 23, 2008
Me too!
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by Hauwa1: 6:44pm On Dec 23, 2008
abi o wink thank you Karma and Sisi. may your days be long on NL grin grin kiss

i don't know whatsup with Justgood. i have been reading him since he came on NL he always sounds bitter. i wonder who dumped him or didn't give him val, bday, and christmas gift. certainly not me. the guy hates anything starting with L, W, G.

i hope he settle down and may his wife born plent girls for am.

Now merry christmas Justgood.

my gift for you is a hug. come to mama kiss
Re: Black People And Christmas Gift by SisiJinx: 6:55pm On Dec 23, 2008
Haba, It is not that difficult to know how he operates. . . I mean it's just two things.

1) If you are a woman and you talk about Naija men in a way he doesn't like, you are bitter, you don't have a man, you will remain single for the rest of your life.

2) If you talk about Nigeria and it doesn't fit his way of thinking, You are a traitor, you like Oyinbo culture and it is better for you to remain there and leave Nigeria to the Nigerian lovers. . . people who think like him are Naija lovers.

What it basically boils down to is. . . it's his way or the Highway. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Ethnic Nationality Has The Most Diverse / Best Dance Moves? / D Igala Kingdom Has A New King , Attah Micheal Ameh Oboni / Why Do Calabar People Names Sounds Like Past Tense?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.