Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,848 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) (19912 Views)

Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear / "Meet Me At Mega Hilton Hotel": An Interviewer Told Me. I Have Suffered / This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by coolxpat(m): 5:58pm On Jan 23, 2015
Hehe... OP u're so on point. I had the worst interview ever this week. I'm glad I was in jeans and shirt + a pams slippers.

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by FredHandsome(m): 5:59pm On Jan 23, 2015
All these peeps quoting this long post should stop it before I provoke...
Beautiful piece... U made lotsa sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by konny1(m): 6:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
Mstchewwww!>:/ After all these Employers will be only looking for graduates with minimum of 2.1 or 2.2, for employment whereas wat we need to qualify Buhari as eligible candidate for presidency is jst his common WAEC result. Employers plz letz learn frm our leaders. Well, thank God I hv my original WAEC/NECO statement of result and certificate, Presidency here I come, year 2019. You can go and confirm.

3 Likes

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Naijasinglegirl: 6:09pm On Jan 23, 2015
coolxpat:
Hehe... OP u're so on point. I had the worst interview ever this week. I'm glad I was in jeans and shirt + a pams slippers.
hahahahahahahhahaha. I don't wear jeans and pams though. I wear my Church clothes to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Tashaamania(f): 6:16pm On Jan 23, 2015
So on point, Naijasinglegirl..
I love this piece grin grin
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by coolxpat(m): 6:24pm On Jan 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
hahahahahahahhahaha. I don't wear jeans and pams though. I wear my Church clothes to be on the safe side.
The place is a private organisation and I ran a background check on them. A guy here on NL shared his worst nightmares when he was with them and how they always go to NYSC camps to deceive corpers. The only reason I attended was because I hv an aptitude test the following day with PSIN. I so much like ur post because u nailed it. We need more of it.

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Teespice(f): 6:32pm On Jan 23, 2015
Nihilist:
This girl just doesn't understand the job market.

The job market is like the relationship market.

Employers/Objects of desire must wade through the myriad of applicants/suitors to get the one that is just perfect for the position of employee/lover.

There is so much choice out there and Employers/Object of desire know that they don't have to settle for less...potential employees/lovers know this too. That's why they obtain certifications/swaggy objects to improve their chances in the job/love game and make the attraction mutual between all parties involved.

Judging by her silly demands, it seems like the OP is the only one who doesn't understand this simple principle..

That's why she's still jobless...and single grin grin

I am sure you weren't smiling when you typed this epistle.

ease up abeg.

life is meant to be enjoyed not endured.

naijasinglegirl, I really enjoy all your posts both here and on your blog.

5 Likes

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by UjSizzle(f): 6:36pm On Jan 23, 2015
Funny asssed something grin

Love your blog btw.
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by pappythinko(m): 6:46pm On Jan 23, 2015
Thanks dearie for this wonderful piece.
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by pappythinko(m): 6:47pm On Jan 23, 2015
You got me grinning this evening, and i feel relieved...... Thanks dearie for this wonderful piece. Some of us are currently on our MSc. Programme at the University of first choice due to unemployment. Hoping fortune n luck will smile on us very soon.

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Missmossy(f): 6:52pm On Jan 23, 2015
I really concur grin some people in charge of the interview be screening their candidates like they are contestants for beauty pageant cheesy

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by doublezero7(m): 6:59pm On Jan 23, 2015
Nihilist:
This girl just doesn't understand the job market.

The job market is like the relationship market.

Employers/Objects of desire must wade through the myriad of applicants/suitors to get the one that is just perfect for the position of employee/lover.

There is so much choice out there and Employers/Object of desire know that they don't have to settle for less...potential employees/lovers know this too. That's why they obtain certifications/swaggy objects to improve their chances in the job/love game and make the attraction mutual between all parties involved.

Judging by her silly demands, it seems like the OP is the only one who doesn't understand this simple principle..

That's why she's still jobless...and single grin grin

Mehn...u're so dumb!!! Really? Do you even think before you comment on people's post? BTW, what's you fvcking business with what she wants on her new job? U don't even know anything other than igbo, shayo and ashewo (so says your profile)!

Whenever you grow some balls and a brain, come back here and say something menaingful! Ode!

If the story aint good for you, go write yours!

2 Likes

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by powerblaze(m): 7:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
Once had the pleasure of being a guest at an interview panel. Some of these guys are terrible perverts!

A gorgeously attractive lady came in, and the interviewer promptly lost his head.

After all the professional questions, which she answered brilliantly, the next thing I heard him say was "When in the month does your monthly cycle fall"?

I was like Wtf? The girl looked embarrassed.

" sir I dont quite understand ", she replied shyly.
" I mean umm".. He looked at me, hoping I was on the same page. I gave him a Blunt look. He looked at the others on seat. We all looked back at him in shock.

"wen is your... "
" Thanks for your time. We will be in touch ", I cut in sharply..

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by doublezero7(m): 7:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
Buchman1:
My friend zip it! Your sense of humour is nil. Op made very valuable points yet you are here applying textbook theory. Any viable/ up to date graduate can very well fit into most jobs out there so far its their field or discipline. All these your classless comparison is laughable at its best. Thumbs up @ Op, you gat potentials.

Nice one bruh!

NSG, you're the bestest!!! Muah!

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Abbey2sam(m): 7:14pm On Jan 23, 2015
Going for an interview with a double pierced ear that have an earring on it

you never ready to work

nice piece though ......i always enjoy your articles
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Naijasinglegirl: 7:16pm On Jan 23, 2015
powerblaze:
Once had the pleasure of being a guest at an interview panel. Some of these guys are terrible perverts!

A gorgeously attractive lady came in, and the interviewer promptly lost his head.

After all the professional questions, which she answered brilliantly, the next thing I heard him say was "When in the month does your monthly cycle fall"?

" I mean umm".. He looked at me, hoping I was on the same page. I gave him a Blunt look. He looked at the others on seat. We all looked back at him in shock.

"wen is your... "
you've got to be kidding me
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Naijasinglegirl: 7:18pm On Jan 23, 2015
[quote author=doublezero7 post=30066039]

James Bond

1 Like

Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by eduxerxes: 7:33pm On Jan 23, 2015
God will bless the day I finish this my M.Sc in personnel Mgt. When I eventually become a HR Manager

1. I won't demand for passport, (maka gini?) Na full picture where I can all the hips and curves of the female applicants...grin

2. I won't demand for CV, na biography I go demand.

3. If u're a male applicant or u're a potential applicant (male) and u're reading this, don't just bother to apply for a non-engineering position in my Company. (Only guys sabi do Engineering lol)m. All other position will be for 'em ladies with ass-ets

4. I reserve my comment.

Signed: Edu Harry
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Whobedatte(m): 7:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:

Thank you. You can read more at http://www.naijasinglegirl.com
nice write up, ff u now on twitter
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by doublezero7(m): 7:45pm On Jan 23, 2015
[quote author=Naijasinglegirl post=30066624][/quote]

Yup boo!
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by powerblaze(m): 8:37pm On Jan 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
you've got to be kidding me

No kidding. A 3 piece suit can't hide an aszhole
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Jamean(f): 9:31pm On Jan 23, 2015
No. 2 really interests me. I had job waka earrings to cover my two holes. I even had nude colored nail polish, so as not to pass a message I didn't intend to. undecided

But right now, na story cheesy
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by fritiyo: 9:48pm On Jan 23, 2015
I enjoyed ur interview story, it quit annoying wen u gv d best sstil yet u are shown d door . may GOD punish satan weel
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Chinum: 9:55pm On Jan 23, 2015
kilokeys:

the most witty post i have read this year..

i loved the cliches, the sad humor.. i love u

lipsrsealed learn to quote biko undecided
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by blakky97(m): 10:13pm On Jan 23, 2015
powerblaze:

"wen is your... "
find this hard to believe.
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by powerblaze(m): 11:45pm On Jan 23, 2015
blakky97:

find this hard to believe.

Yea. Me too. Except I was there.
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by hclacid(m): 12:46am On Jan 24, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
I am addressing this letter to every past ( & prospective HR) I have encountered in the cause of my job hunt because I want my next interview to be my last in a long time.

Dear Sir
I'm guessing you have my résumé since I have literally applied for every vacancy listed online.
You may send your invitation email tomorrow, next week, next month or next year but just as you listed the requirements for your ideal candidate, permit me to state my own prerequisites so there won't be any conflict of interest when we eventually meet.

1. I will not wear my Christmas clothes for the interview.
As a lady, I am expected to appear in a D&G suit with a 4 inch heel shoe to represent the image of your company. I'm sorry to announce that's not going to happen. How do I gallantly represent the image of somewhere I am not guaranteed?
Oga Interviewer, have you ever felt the pain that comes with leaving the interview room with one's best clothes after the HR says "I'm sorry, you failed the GMAT so you will not be moving on to the next stage." Or stares from passersby, wondering why you are roaming with your CV dressed in a corporate attire during work hours.
That does not mean I wouldn't look decent. I like to keep my dressing simple in the event I find myself local pub where I can drink & pretend I was successful in your recruitment.

2. My double ear piercings does not make me the wrong person for the job.

I know tattoos are wrong on all count but piercings on the ear? The last time I checked, the position was not a choir mistress for an Apostolic Church. I have been putting on inconspicuous studded earrings since I began job hunting. How else do I show I'm professional enough? Do I have to cut off my ears? Dear HR of ABC company, how would a tiny ring affect my ability to use microsoft? Just say I remind you of your ex-girlfriend!

3. Four-person slot is not graduate trainee position

Okay, this is the first time your company needs as much as 4 candidates to fill up a position. I understand you are doing unemployed graduates a favour but why did you have call it graduate trainee recruitment, subsequently deceiving thousands of job seekers online with the aim of achieving free publicity for your company?
How do you intend to pick the best four from the 15,000 applications you received. I'm guessing you stopped reading CV's after the first 100. This is the reason we never met cos my awesome résumé was the 12751th.

4. Be very specific with you ideal candidate before I show up

She must be on low cut, must not be more than 27, must have had at least 4 years cognate experience; 1 in a managerial position, must have ACII but ICAN is preferable, must be multilingual, must be a graduate of a private university; foreign university is preferable, must have flat tummy, must be living at most 30 metres from the company, must be able to work without pay for the first three months ( na so! Is it because some churches are currently running a 100 days dry fast program), must be able to market GNLD products?
State what you want in the vacancy.
I hate unrealistic surprises after I have wasted my transport money.

5. I won't give you my photograph.
If I don't stand a 70 percent chance of getting the job, I see no reason why I should come with all my certificates if it will eventually end up in your company's trash can.
Sir, photocopies are expensive. Taking passports are a chore, do you even know how difficult it is to smile these days with all the brouhaha happening in Nigeria? I'm guessing no. After all, you have lots of money and a job to keep you busy.

6. Open interviews? Keep your marketing offer!
Many people shy away from marketing jobs because of the poor pay. I am one of them. (Except you want me to use my blog to promote your product/service) After roaming the street like a mad man to find customers, one is offered only 0.1 percent commission. Like what the hell? If it were that easy to get marketers, why did your company use euphemisms like vacancy for the post of a 'brand activator', 'key tele agents', DSA! Chief marketing technician? Yimu
If marketing is part of the job requirement, let me know prior to that! I was offered a job as an accountant in a pension company in Benin and the next thing the HR said was, "You know, this is a new company so you also have to bring in clients or your salary will be slashed by more then 50%." I told him don't even know anyone or my way round Benin! He said "Don't you have rich aunties and uncles?" I said "no. If I had super rich relatives, would I be needing the job?"
Next thing I heard was "We will get back to you."
I'm still waiting...

7. Salary is a very sensitive issue
Please when its time to discuss my salary expectations, don't bring your colleagues to distract me. Its no time for jokes. I'm a sucker for compliments. For this singular reason, my mom stopped sending me market errands cos when she gives me N5000 for soup items. I hand the entire sum to the first trader that tells me 'Omalicha...Sweety mi...African Queen, come and buy my yams."
Dad also stopped sending me to make cash deposits cos when the beggar seated outside the bank says, "Fine girl, Angel, please gimme money. God go bless you for this life." I hand over the money to him.
Last year, an HR asked how much I wanted and before I could say N120000 is okay. lol, his colleague chipped in "Mr Aderemi this particular candidate looks so humble. . . Her smile is really infectious."
I heard that and stupidly said "You guys can pay me anything like. I will manage."
The HR said, "We will give you N20000 per month."
Yimu! Do you know how much it cost to maintain this smile?

8. ABC Company is not the place for salary earners.

I can see that's your company core values. I understand you need my salary to keep up with your biannual vacation to Seychelles. No problem.
I am going to work for you without pay. After all, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
But what other incentives are you offering? Am I going to learn on the job? No. Would it advance my career development? Maybe. Would I have to cross third mainland bridge to work everyday? Yes. Do you have a company bus? No.
Is your firm an advertising and communications firm, you know that's my dream career path? No.
So why do you want to 'eat' my salary? No answer.

Gentlemen, let him who has ears, hear!
From a pained job seeker.

Yours sincerely
Naijasinglegirl.com

You are very wonderful ma'am. It was an immense pleasure reading your piece, one of the best I've seen from anyone. Thank you again...
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Bonethugss: 2:04am On Jan 24, 2015
This is wow, I am highly impressed, glad to know we still have some intelligent Nigerian ladies with the right sense of humor.
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by Kevinoh: 7:11am On Jan 24, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
I am addressing this letter to every past ( & prospective HR) I have encountered in the cause of my job hunt because I want my next interview to be my last in a long time.

Dear Sir
I'm guessing you have my résumé since I have literally applied for every vacancy listed online.
You may send your invitation email tomorrow, next week, next month or next year but just as you listed the requirements for your ideal candidate, permit me to state my own prerequisites so there won't be any conflict of interest when we eventually meet.

1. I will not wear my Christmas clothes for the interview.
As a lady, I am expected to appear in a D&G suit with a 4 inch heel shoe to represent the image of your company. I'm sorry to announce that's not going to happen. How do I gallantly represent the image of somewhere I am not guaranteed?
Oga Interviewer, have you ever felt the pain that comes with leaving the interview room with one's best clothes after the HR says "I'm sorry, you failed the GMAT so you will not be moving on to the next stage." Or stares from passersby, wondering why you are roaming with your CV dressed in a corporate attire during work hours.
That does not mean I wouldn't look decent. I like to keep my dressing simple in the event I find myself local pub where I can drink & pretend I was successful in your recruitment.

2. My double ear piercings does not make me the wrong person for the job.

I know tattoos are wrong on all count but piercings on the ear? The last time I checked, the position was not a choir mistress for an Apostolic Church. I have been putting on inconspicuous studded earrings since I began job hunting. How else do I show I'm professional enough? Do I have to cut off my ears? Dear HR of ABC company, how would a tiny ring affect my ability to use microsoft? Just say I remind you of your ex-girlfriend!

3. Four-person slot is not graduate trainee position

Okay, this is the first time your company needs as much as 4 candidates to fill up a position. I understand you are doing unemployed graduates a favour but why did you have call it graduate trainee recruitment, subsequently deceiving thousands of job seekers online with the aim of achieving free publicity for your company?
How do you intend to pick the best four from the 15,000 applications you received. I'm guessing you stopped reading CV's after the first 100. This is the reason we never met cos my awesome résumé was the 12751th.

4. Be very specific with you ideal candidate before I show up

She must be on low cut, must not be more than 27, must have had at least 4 years cognate experience; 1 in a managerial position, must have ACII but ICAN is preferable, must be multilingual, must be a graduate of a private university; foreign university is preferable, must have flat tummy, must be living at most 30 metres from the company, must be able to work without pay for the first three months ( na so! Is it because some churches are currently running a 100 days dry fast program), must be able to market GNLD products?
State what you want in the vacancy.
I hate unrealistic surprises after I have wasted my transport money.

5. I won't give you my photograph.
If I don't stand a 70 percent chance of getting the job, I see no reason why I should come with all my certificates if it will eventually end up in your company's trash can.
Sir, photocopies are expensive. Taking passports are a chore, do you even know how difficult it is to smile these days with all the brouhaha happening in Nigeria? I'm guessing no. After all, you have lots of money and a job to keep you busy.

6. Open interviews? Keep your marketing offer!
Many people shy away from marketing jobs because of the poor pay. I am one of them. (Except you want me to use my blog to promote your product/service) After roaming the street like a mad man to find customers, one is offered only 0.1 percent commission. Like what the hell? If it were that easy to get marketers, why did your company use euphemisms like vacancy for the post of a 'brand activator', 'key tele agents', DSA! Chief marketing technician? Yimu
If marketing is part of the job requirement, let me know prior to that! I was offered a job as an accountant in a pension company in Benin and the next thing the HR said was, "You know, this is a new company so you also have to bring in clients or your salary will be slashed by more then 50%." I told him don't even know anyone or my way round Benin! He said "Don't you have rich aunties and uncles?" I said "no. If I had super rich relatives, would I be needing the job?"
Next thing I heard was "We will get back to you."
I'm still waiting...

7. Salary is a very sensitive issue
Please when its time to discuss my salary expectations, don't bring your colleagues to distract me. Its no time for jokes. I'm a sucker for compliments. For this singular reason, my mom stopped sending me market errands cos when she gives me N5000 for soup items. I hand the entire sum to the first trader that tells me 'Omalicha...Sweety mi...African Queen, come and buy my yams."
Dad also stopped sending me to make cash deposits cos when the beggar seated outside the bank says, "Fine girl, Angel, please gimme money. God go bless you for this life." I hand over the money to him.
Last year, an HR asked how much I wanted and before I could say N120000 is okay. lol, his colleague chipped in "Mr Aderemi this particular candidate looks so humble. . . Her smile is really infectious."
I heard that and stupidly said "You guys can pay me anything like. I will manage."
The HR said, "We will give you N20000 per month."
Yimu! Do you know how much it cost to maintain this smile?

8. ABC Company is not the place for salary earners.

I can see that's your company core values. I understand you need my salary to keep up with your biannual vacation to Seychelles. No problem.
I am going to work for you without pay. After all, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
But what other incentives are you offering? Am I going to learn on the job? No. Would it advance my career development? Maybe. Would I have to cross third mainland bridge to work everyday? Yes. Do you have a company bus? No.
Is your firm an advertising and communications firm, you know that's my dream career path? No.
So why do you want to 'eat' my salary? No answer.

Gentlemen, let him who has ears, hear!
From a pained job seeker.

Yours sincerely
Naijasinglegirl.com

Genial! Tu est tres drole et amusant! Puis-je etre ton petite ami? wink
Re: Oga Interviewer, Don’t Ever Call Me Beautiful! (A Letter To Hr’s In Nigeria) by calexix(f): 9:11am On Jan 24, 2015
Niceee

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Recruitment For Constables 2019 Begins. See Thread / Tony Elumelu Foundation 2021 Entrepreneurship Programme Application Opens / How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.