Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Gen Buhari Interview With BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen Buhari Interview With BBC (1998 Views)

Aisha Buhari's Interview With BBC Hausa (Full Text) / Aisha Buhari's Interview With BBC: Reno Omokri Reacts / Aisha Buhari's Interview: BBC Defies Pressure From Presidency, Dogara & Daura (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gen Buhari Interview With BBC by YoungExec: 1:29pm On Jan 25, 2015
I just read this transcript of Gen. Buhari's interview with the BBC Hausa Service and was struck by his response to the last question:

For the non-Hausa speaking listeners, here is a transcript of the interview the Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammadu Buhari (GMB), granted the BBC Hausa service:

GMB: The right thing to do, since it was vandalism, is for the police to have arrested them and interrogated them, and then if they say they are my supporters, then the media can report such. But that’s not what happens. The media takes sides and reports these assumptions as facts even if it hasn’t been established that that’s what really happened.

Interviewer: Not long ago, Bola Akinyemi asked both the APC and PDP to sign an agreement that your supporters would not cause any trouble whichever way the elections pan out. Many would think the reason why we are already seeing hints of political intolerance is because such an agreement wasn’t signed.

GMB: That’s not true, It’s not about signing documents. Since when have we been cautioning our supporters to not even say offensive things in the name of support? We have been saying that, that’s what’s in my power to do.

Interviewer: People say it’s the kind of utterances you (politicians) make that is responsible for such (violent) behaviour.

GMB: Can you give me an example of any such utterance I have made? What I talk about mostly is the state of insecurity, which affects every one of us in this country. Look at the North East, people are being killed and property being destroyed, children in school are being murdered in their sleep, people are being killed in universities, at the market, in mosques, bus parks…what do you call that?

Interviewer: Not so long ago, the president said past governments were responsible for the state of our security. He specifically said when you were the head of state, you did not buy even one rifle for the army and that’s why they are in the state they are in now.

GMB: No, that’s sheer ignorance. We were only at the helm of affairs for 20 months. Any one who knows Nigerian history knows we were only there (in power) for 20 months. In those 20 months, he should go and find out how many military aircraft we bought, not to talk about guns. It is evident that he clearly doesn’t know what he is saying. I watched that his speech in Lagos myself, he was angry but who he was angry at, I don’t know. He has been at the helm of affairs for 6 years. 6 years! Nigerians remember, General Gowon was in power for 9 years. And 30 months out of those were spent fighting a civil war (with weapons) but Nigeria didn’t owe a single kobo. (How much do we owe now?)

Interviewer: They say the problem with insecurity is that once it gets bad, it is hard to fix. If you were to be elected president, what steps will you take to ensure that you bring an end to it?

GMB: That fact (about fixing insecurity) is true. But in the Army I know and the one I served in for 23-25 years, you would never have a situation where a soldier would go to the press to discuss anything about his duty/job. Compare that to what obtains now, because I listen to the news every morning—except something comes up—and I hear stories in the press about soldiers saying they are being sent to confront terrorists with no guns or support. For a soldier of Nigeria to come out and say such, you know things have gone really bad.

Interviewer: Some security experts say that the military is already gone beyond repair, regardless of what weapons you give them. Are you considering getting soldiers besides these ones from elsewhere?

GMB: Get them from where? Who will protect Nigeria if not Nigerians? We are citizens of Nigeria. The ones that would cause havoc have homes and companies to run to with their families abroad. People like us can’t run away, this is our fatherland; we have no other place but this one.

http://www.ekekeee.com/president-jonathan-clearly-didnt-know-saying-buhari-interview/
Re: Gen Buhari Interview With BBC by YoungExec: 1:40pm On Jan 25, 2015
This just caused me to reflect on our true situation in Nigeria. It's not about APC or PDP or whatever other party. It's simply about the have's and the have-nots.

Think about this:

Who does an ASUU strike affect? The APC or PDP Chieftain whose children are all schooling in the US and UK or the poor widow who struggles on her teacher salary to put her 3 kids through a Nigerian Univerity?

Who does an increase in fuel price affect? The APC or PDP chieftain who can't remember when last he bought fuel himself or the graduate barber whose little profits are wiped away by fuel costs?

These are the questions we must begin to ask...

Feel free to add your own examples..

1 Like

Re: Gen Buhari Interview With BBC by Mubarack44(m): 2:06pm On Jan 25, 2015
nice one GMB
Re: Gen Buhari Interview With BBC by sherrylo: 2:27pm On Jan 25, 2015
GMB please help save Nigeria
Re: Gen Buhari Interview With BBC by tuborme: 2:38pm On Jan 25, 2015
Why is this dude always going to bbc hausa? When is he going to bbc english....somebody should tell these northerners that nigeria is not always about them. Buhari is contesting for the presidency of nigeria and not some hausa community. How many times have you heard Goodluck Jonathan going to Ijaw radio to campaign?

(1) (Reply)

Naija Boys In Durban,south Africa Mobilize To Fight Back The HOSTILE HOST / Tension In The Military / Again, TCN Records New Power Transmission Peak Of 4662MW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.