Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools (9064 Views)

The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words / Why Do Muslims Talk In Arabic? / How To Inspire Our Children To Gain Knowledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 27, 2015
Assalam alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.

I put my children in a school that provides secular education to enable them to take care of their dunya and give them a profession.
I made sure that the school is also offering an Islamic curriculum, mode of dressing and background so as to take care of their akhira.
But Islam is NOT a religion of rote recitation of the Qur'an or blind memorisation of hadith. Islam is a way of life; that enshrines Justice, Mercy, Empathy and good manners to every member of the community... young and old. And of course, the best way to impart those attributes to our children is for you, their respected ustadhis and ustadhas, to show them by example; because you are their first contact with Islam outside the home.
Please stop teaching our children that might is right. That Muslims are unjust and arbitrary in punishment.
Why would a whole class of 4year olds go home with stripes on their backs because one or two of them made noise and you were unable to identify the culprits? How do I tell my child that the punishment was justified? Or should I have told my son to snitch on his muslim classmates? Or was it my son's fault that you could not control your class?
How should I feel when my 8year old child says that her worst subject is Qur'an memorisation, because Ustadh insists on using the cane as his favored memory aid? I wonder how many children can memorise the Qur'an with a cane hovering over their heads. Or what permanent feelings they associate with the memorisation of the Qur'an.
What should I tell my children was the cause of the stray stroke of the cane given at random during Jumat service, presumably done to prevent noisemaking before the child thinks of making noise?
I did not send my children to a Muslim oriented school to be turned to craven slaves cowering at the next stroke of the cane. I sent them to learn that Islam hates injustice, cruelty and inflicting pain. I want them to be proud to be Muslims.
Please. If any of you are out there, correct your approach. Cane them by all means; if they break the rules; but learn to use the option of mercy, then justice. Many have said that they left Islam because of its association with 'alfa' and his cane. For many who still remain muslim, the cane hovering over their heads is the only memory they have of their 'ile kewun' days.
I do not want my children to be any of those.

I humbly apologise if I have offended anyone. It was not my intention.

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by maclatunji: 5:48pm On Jan 29, 2015
Abuamam:

I put my children in a school that provides secular education to enable them to take care of their dunya and give them a profession.
I made sure that the school is also offering an Islamic curriculum, mode of dressing and background so as to take care of their akhira.
But Islam is NOT a religion of rote recitation of the Qur'an or blind memorisation of hadith. Islam is a way of life; that enshrines Justice, Mercy, Empathy and good manners to every member of the community... young and old. And of course, the best way to impart those attributes to our children is for you, their respected ustadhis and ustadhas, to show them by example; because you are their first contact with Islam outside the home.
Please stop teaching our children that might is right. That Muslims are unjust and arbitrary in punishment.
Why would a whole class of 4year olds go home with stripes on their backs because one or two of them made noise and you were unable to identify the culprits? How do I tell my child that the punishment was justified? Or should I have told my son to snitch on his muslim classmates? Or was it my son's fault that you could not control your class?
How should I feel when my 8year old child says that her worst subject is Qur'an memorisation, because Ustadh insists on using the cane as his favored memory aid? I wonder how many children can memorise the Qur'an with a cane hovering over their heads. Or what permanent feelings they associate with the memorisation of the Qur'an.
What should I tell my children was the cause of the stray stroke of the cane given at random during Jumat service, presumably done to prevent noisemaking before the child thinks of making noise?
I did not send my children to a Muslim oriented school to be turned to craven slaves cowering at the next stroke of the cane. I sent them to learn that Islam hates injustice, cruelty and inflicting pain. I want them to be proud to be Muslims.
Please. If any of you are out there, correct your approach. Cane them by all means; if they break the rules; but learn to use the option of mercy, then justice. Many have said that they left Islam because of its association with 'alfa' and his cane. For many who still remain muslim, the cane hovering over their heads is the only memory they have of their 'ile kewun' days.

It is not a Muslim teacher only thing. Teachers in schools that don't ban corporal punishment usually use the cane.

Your role as a parent is to observe the trend, is it a case of outright abuse of the children or is it a case of "spare the rod, spoil the child"?

I am in the middle on this: I don't support caning children indiscriminately. However, I do know that corporal punishment has its advantages in moulding children. Hence, I am not a supporter of let children do whatever they want and expect them to reason with you like adults.

Do many adults reason well? Some of them got spoilt during childhood and become 'damaged goods' as adults. Balance is the operative word here.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2015
maclatunji:

It is not a Muslim teacher only thing. Teachers in schools that don't ban corporal punishment usually use the cane.

Your role as a parent is to observe the trend, is it a case of outright abuse of the children or is it a case of "spare the rod, spoil the child"?

I am in the middle on this: I don't support caning children indiscriminately. However, I do know that corporal punishment has its advantages in moulding children. Hence, I am not a supporter of let children do whatever they want and expect them to reason with you like adults.

Do many adults reason well? Some of them got spoilt during childhood and become 'damaged goods' as adults. Balance is the operative word here.

You are right. Sometimes the child seeks to test the limits of the patience of his parents and teachers. Sometimes, a child commits seriously wrong actions, which no parent in his right mind would want his child to grow up with; stealing for example, or blatant lying. I will support the teacher if he canes my child for such, because I know that there is nothing to reason for. At that point, the child knows he is committing a bad act, and most importantly, THE PUNISHMENT IS JUST.
Unjust is where the teacher is frustrated and unable to control his class, he has no right to vent on innocent children, many of whom will be petrified, knowing that their teacher will inflict pain on all of them, for the crime of a few. What fault do children have for getting to school late, in a setting where their parents drop them at school? Why not cane the parent for bringing them late? That would be just. Or a child did not memorise a verse? Come on. I have a small son who has memorised the last 2juz' of the Qur'an with tajweed... except for surat alBayyinah. Why that specific chapter confuses him I do not know, but caning him because he misses it is not the ultimate solution.

Why did I vent on only Islamic studies teachers?

1. They seem to be more prone to it, but I can concede that maybe that is only my own misguidance and I am wrong.
2. Also, because, in the main, I don't really care if my son hates his home economics or civics or science class due to the teacher's wrist being superbly oiled. But I very much care when my child hates Qur'an memorisation or Arabic or Islamic studies class... for the same reason.
3. And finally, because we muslims teach our children to take their approach and their manners from those who are clearly knowledgeable in Islam... their ustadhis. Where the ustadh punishes them unjustly; and believe me, children KNOW when it is unjust, then the child will either absorb the lesson that injustice is part of Islam, and grow up to be an ustadh; unjust to those who are powerless to resist; or grow up to believe that mindless violence and injustice are part of Islam, and if he is averse to acting that way himself, he rejects Islam. Quite a number of adults blame their early 'ile kewun' memories for their current ignorance of our deen.

I believe caning; especially by ustadhis; should be the LAST option, after all other options have been exhausted. I think the ACTUAL culprit ONLY should be caned. I think that one, (or more if necessary) designated 'executioner' should be assigned in a school; and culprits sent to him for caning. Because, when every tired teacher has a cocked cane in his hand, misapplication of justice is inevitable.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by Empiree: 5:59am On Jan 30, 2015
I support maclatunji 100% on this. I also reason with op, too. A way in between is the way to go.
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by surawilly(m): 12:25pm On Jan 30, 2015
hmmmm...I rememember Alfa Jamiu back then...won ma jaa wa lore(koboko) gan

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by femi2u: 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2015
Assalam alaikum iqwan, caning isn't part of impacting knowledge on children there are many ways to do it than caning .for instant by giving gifts to the best of them ,by playing them ,talking to them as a friend ....

2 Likes

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by jaylehk(m): 1:36pm On Jan 30, 2015
Assalaam alaykum wa rahmatullah.I strongly oppose d use of cane as an all time measure for punishing students.this does not aid the fight against brutality and terrorism that has been. Libelled against muslims.let us take heed.
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by nurey(m): 2:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
I have had course to befriend many christian both male and female and the ones that had been muslim before always claimed they stopped going to ile kewu because of alfas egba infact ile kewu is now associated with cane

During my secondary school days there is this ustadz with beards and when he gets to teach us and you don't get things right prepare to receive his lashes

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by threadstone(m): 3:43pm On Jan 30, 2015
I Remember back in then in primary four. After sch was ile kewu eveey week day and on saturdays at a mosque beside my house. Our closing prayer was to recite suratul bakarah aloud before leaving.

There was a day i didnt recite it aloud and the only thing on the imans mind was to strike me in the head twice with a fat cane. I just stood up crying, picked up my quran and went home straight. It took a lot of cajoling begging and a bottle of coke to make me return the next day plus she had a word with the imam about his excessiveness. That was the first and last time his cane touched me.

Even after higher school, i wonder if he feels the cane helps. The only thing it does is chase those kids away from islam and have a bad mindset about the religion from outside. Im sure most of us can relate to how we were brutalized by our ustaz and imams during quarinic lessons and i wonder why. Even those studying ifa dont go through all these.

The person that will touch my child for a minor offense will hear o.

3 Likes

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by hybeenoni: 6:06pm On Jan 30, 2015
I strongly reason wt d op, coz @ dat stage, d kids to be made to enjoy d Arabic class nd nt d oda way round

1 Like

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
Do yu think its easy tto control kids w/o using cane?
Am well knwn in mai aous, I don't beat kids andd I hate pple beatin kids wt serious passion.
Whn I took a teaching job, I stil maintained mai stand, bt I get home everyday wt serious headache. I tried every method possible tto control these kids cos I rily don't want tto use cane, bt it neva worked. No choice, I later resorted tto cane.
I don't beat unjustly thou, I beat dem forr a reason andd I wl mk dem knw the reason forr beatin dem.
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 30, 2015
You are right. When I was in Secondary school, the IRS teacher then can beat the hel,l out of you,they took him away, then the following one was more brutal. In my JSS too,our Arabic teacher can use cane to cut your hears. Although they play with use sometimes and we do enjoy it but the other part is like hel,l. Me and my friends used to wonder what makes all those Arabic and IRS teachers cruel.
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by ONETIMESMS: 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2015
ASWW, the sch in question is acting (if what u said is correct) against the ethics of islam. i teach in islamic college and hardly do we use can. the sch proprietor should be informed or reported to imam (or elder Muslim around), not only for your sake but for the future of the sch, the pupils in the sch, the community and islam at large.

what happened simply showed that those staff members called teachers are NOT teachers but 'cheaters'. they do not have teaching and islamic ethics.

summarily, correcting them in a good manner is the best for you.
Abuamam:

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
ONETIMESMS:
ASWW, the sch in question is acting (if what u said is correct) against the ethics of islam. i teach in islamic college and hardly do we use can. the sch proprietor should be informed or reported to imam (or elder Muslim around), not only for your sake but for the future of the sch, the pupils in the sch, the community and islam at large.

what happened simply showed that those staff members called teachers are NOT teachers but 'cheaters'. they do not have teaching and islamic ethics.

summarily, correcting them in a good manner is the best for you.

How do you 'summarily correct them in a good mamner'?
I have pointed the issue out to them a number of times, but this tends to backfire on the child in different ways, depending on the teacher concerned. And the child consequently, then feels reluctant to complain the next time. Or the school authorities might be too heavy handed in their attempt to correct the problem. Again, getting someone fired is not my objective.

Kudos to your school if as you say, you rarely use the cane.... rather 'with hikmah' should be the operative phrase here. But brother, scroll through the comments and you will see that your school seems to be the exception, rather than the rule.
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by abisquare(f): 11:56pm On Jan 30, 2015
Asalamu alaikum. Pls I want help with any islamic model school address within ipaja and abesan estate. Thanks
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by maclatunji: 12:23am On Feb 01, 2015
hormordunneey:
Do yu think its easy tto control kids w/o using cane?
Am well knwn in mai aous, I don't beat kids andd I hate pple beatin kids wt serious passion.
Whn I took a teaching job, I stil maintained mai stand, bt I get home everyday wt serious headache. I tried every method possible tto control these kids cos I rily don't want tto use cane, bt it neva worked. No choice, I later resorted tto cane.
I don't beat unjustly thou, I beat dem forr a reason andd I wl mk dem knw the reason forr beatin dem.

Thank you for being honest.
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by obinrinrere: 12:57pm On Feb 01, 2015
You can try almeerath
@ponle bstop iyanapaja.quote author=abisquare post=30288227]Asalamu alaikum. Pls I want help with any islamic model school address within ipaja and abesan estate. Thanks[/quote]
Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by onegig(m): 7:20pm On Feb 01, 2015
What's the aim of the beating?

To inflict pain or make them learn?

I like when things are based on facts. A look at most Muslim kids who grew up has shown that the beating received at the various madrasas did nothing to reinforce their beliefs or knowledge but just fuelled their quest for freedom from such harrowing experience.

No wonder most who went to the so called Ile Kewus returned back to secular,nonchalant and carefree lifestyles after they attained freedom or came off age, forgetting whatever they were taught.

Examples abound around us. To make a known example is 9ice the Hip hop singer.

There are some better punitive measures you use in correcting kids and not outright caning. In most cases, such canning are barbaric and give these students life long scars. You see them using horse whips with 8 mouths and stuff.

Lets call a spade a spade. Most madrasas and alfas are just torture weapons and not in any way impacting any knowledge. I have once thought and I have attended Madrasas in the past. The only fond memories I have is that of a Mallam who was firm but never used the cane and we all loved him and always made extra efforts to learn what he was teaching us back then. No one is advocating spearing the rod but don't use the rod so arbitrarily like our Alfas do. Ile kewus are now synonymous with caning, torture and horror stories and not centres for education.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools by AbdulFattah2016(m): 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
Assalam alaykum!
Are you interested in qualitative Islamic education comprising Arabic language, Qur'anic sciences and general Islamic knowledge for yourself or wards, within the environs of Lagos, and at your convenience in time and venue (home, office, shop e.t.c)? contact us at Islamic tutors on this line: 09054987246 or through this email address: abdulalao13@gmail.com.
We seek to build in our students the so desired Islamic personality for them to stand out uniquely among their contemporaries despite the prevalent social vices and negativities embedded in the socio-cultural trend of today's society.
We look forward to to your patronage...

(1) (Reply)

Feeling ‘reborn’ As A Muslim, Ex-playboy Bunny Insists On Keeping Chinese Name / The Last Sermon Of Rasullulah (may Allah Have Mercy Upon Him) / Suggested Time-table For Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.