Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Nigeria’ll Gain From Buhari’s Experience – Are - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’ll Gain From Buhari’s Experience – Are (597 Views)

Zahra Buhari's Experience At The Burial Of The 7 Soldiers / Nigeria’ll Overcome Present Challenges — Jonathan / Nigeria’ll Disintegrate If Uwazuruike Is Arrested – MASSOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’ll Gain From Buhari’s Experience – Are by DEUNSTOPPABLE(m): 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2015
In this interview with OLUFEMI ATOYEBI, a former Chief Executive Officer, Ogun/Oshun River Basin Development Authority and Chairman of Kakanfo Inn and Conference Centre, Ibadan, Oyo State, Dr. Lekan Are, says the criticisms against the All Progressives Congress presidential candidate, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), are needless

What’s your view of Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari?

I met him for the first time in 1984 at the Dodan Barrack, Lagos, after he came into power in December 1983. I was the Chief Executive Officer of the Ogun/Oshun River Basin Development Authority at the time. He later called all heads of parastatals and ministries to a meeting in Abuja, where we defended how we ran our various agencies. We all took turns to do so. When it was my turn, I presented a detailed report and Buhari expressed satisfaction at my presentation.

However, he was not happy with some of those who presented their reports before me and he made it known immediately at the meeting. He told them to learn from my presentation and how I ran the office.

When I was asked to defend having a guest house and a school inside the premises of the Ogun/Oshun River Basin Development Authority in Abeokuta, I explained that because our location was some miles away from the main community, at least three hours of working time would be lost if my staff had to take their children to school in the morning and bring them back in the afternoon. I said the school was meant for their children and that we also accommodated pupils from the rural community around us.

I also explained that the guest house was meant for staff that had to travel from far places on official duty to our location and anyone among the public who wished to stay there. I told Buhari that it was not free. He was satisfied with my explanation. He said that he was impressed with the way I have managed our resources and time. When we were to leave, he called me and asked if I needed more money and I said that I would be happy. I got a 17 per cent raise in allocation. That was when the heads of parastatals were given the authority to have direct access to their finances instead of through the ministers of supervising ministries.

What I am saying here is that Buhari appreciates efficiency, honesty, competence and hard work. He does not associate himself with corruption and dishonesty. I met him again when he visited the Ikere Gorge Dam that we built in a remote part of Iseyin in Oyo State. He asked me why we were yet to erect the gate to the site and I told him that the gate was manufactured in Germany but it required an import licence to bring it to Nigeria. I also explained that even though I had applied for it, the ministry in charge was not ready to give me because the staff demanded illegal money which I was not ready to give. The minister in charge of the ministry was with us on the tour. Buhari told him immediately that he should personally deliver the licence to me immediately after the tour. The minister personally brought the licence to my office in Abeokuta.

I met Buhari again in 1997 when Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, invited me for a conference on irrigation. Buhari was also there. When he saw me, he came down from the raised platform to greet me. When it was time for lunch, he came to me again and held my hand and that of my friend, leading us to where we took our food. If you do your work diligently and honestly, Buhari will not forget you because he does not associate himself with corruption and indolence.

Some people have criticised Buhari for being desperate to rule this country. They are of the opinion that only a desperate person will contest for the same position since 2003. What is your opinion on this?

It is unfair to bring up issues like this because there is no need for it. Abraham Lincoln, who was a former president of the United States, contested and lost many elections. He ran for state legislature seat and lost in 1832. He lost again in 1843 and 1854 when he ran for a senate seat. He was also rejected when he sought to be land officer in his home state. Two years later, he lost in his bid to be considered as vice-president at his party’s convention. After losing his senate bid again in 1858, he got the US people’s votes to become president in 1860. We all know his great work as US president. People set a goal and get there when they are consistent. If Buhari does not have something to offer the nation, he will not be seeking their support since 2003.

One other criticism of Buhari is that he truncated civilian rule when he overthrew the Shehu Shagari government in 1983. Don’t you think this will have a negative effect on his quest to become president?

We have had military coups in Nigeria in the past. He was the Head of State at the time but are we sure he organised the coup? I am not defending him on that but since 1966 we have been having coups in Nigeria and we even had coups after Buhari. Buhari is not the only person to have been involved in a coup in Nigeria. But like I said, that is not enough reason to criticise him.

Are you satisfied that we could have a 72-year-old former soldier as Nigeria’s next president?

I am happy to read an analysis written by someone in the newspaper recently where he tabled the ages of Nigeria’s former Heads of State and presidents. Many of them reached the position in their 40s or a bit older. In other words, younger people have ruled Nigeria but is Nigeria a better country today?

We have countries with older presidents who are doing well. If I am given the opportunity to lead the nation today, will I do it badly? At my age, I know better and I understand the dynamics of leadership and governance because of the experience I have garnered through the various positions I have held. Age has a lot to do with experience, which also teaches us how to do things better.

For people like us who have followed Nigerian history and have been part of it, we cannot be happy with the way things are now. I graduated from the University of Ibadan in 1958 when Nigeria had not attained independence, so I witnessed colonial rule. I also witnessed governance in the independence era till date.

What’s your impression about the controversy surrounding Buhari’s certificate?

It is very irrelevant to the issue on the ground. If you have a degree certificate, can we say that you do not have a secondary school leaving certificate? The records show that Buhari possesses superior qualifications which he could not have acquired if he did not have secondary school certificate. Record shows that he attended courses with former President Olusegun Obasanjo, the late Shehu Yar’Adua, and other colleagues in the Army. He could not have been considered for these courses if he did not possess a secondary school certificate.

We even have people who proceeded to secondary school from Standard Five in those days. Let me give you a personal experience. I don’t know where my primary school and secondary school certificates are today. I don’t also know where my other certificates are but can someone challenge me and say that I don’t posses secondary school certificate after attaining the height in my academic and professional pursuits? It is impossible because records will show in places where I have worked and where I obtained other certificates that I have even higher qualifications. It is an issue that should not have come up because there was no need for it. I am happy that a former Head of State has warned that we should not politicise the Nigerian Army.

Are you satisfied with Buhari’s choice of running mate?

I am aware that Buhari was involved in choosing his running mate. People say that he is a religious fanatic but I think he has answered them now. If he was a fanatic, he would not want to have anything to do with Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, who is a pastor at the Redeemed Christian Church of God. Buhari is not a fanatic but people like to politicise issues in Nigeria. Buhari’s personal assistant, driver and cook are Christians. If he is actually a religious fanatic, he would have employed Muslims to work with him instead of having anything to do with those Christians who work for him.

How will you rate Nigeria under President Goodluck Jonathan?

Today’s Nigeria is not the best we hoped for. The nation has not improved as expected under this administration. I attended one of the best secondary schools in Nigeria, Government College, Ibadan. Our final examination results were usually 100 per cent. In other words, every pupil passed his papers. Today, it is sad that the last examination recorded a 16 per cent pass in the school. That is just a school in Ibadan. We have a poor education system in Nigeria today because this government keeps changing the school syllabus. I have only talked about the education sector. If you say that your economy is improving, it must have a direct impact on the people. This is the first time that Nigeria will record more poor percentage of its population.
Re: Nigeria’ll Gain From Buhari’s Experience – Are by THUNDER4real(m): 8:51pm On Jan 28, 2015
STORRY FOR THE gods.

(1) (Reply)

Why I Will Vote For Goodluck Jonathan ----- Audu Maikori / Why PDP Failed For 16 Years - Oshiomhole / What’s Wrong With This PDP Weird Ojuju Calabar Newspaper Adverts? [see Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.