Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,511 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm (19509 Views)

My Car Has A High Idle Rpm / Please Help Solve Extremely High Idle !!! / Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by klipse: 7:51am On Jan 31, 2015
Hi Nlanders,

I had my injectors cleaned and changed my 4 plugs. My mechanic said he cleaned the injector head with thinner and applied oil treatment to stop a tampering sound from the engine. Now my car drives quieter but the idle is high. around 1500 to 1800 on cold start and drops to 1200 rpm.

How can I reduce the idle to the factory default at 700? I read stuff online and it said I have to perform the idle re-learn procedure, what is that?

Car: honda accord 2008, 4cyl
Thanks
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:01am On Jan 31, 2015
klipse:
Hi Nlanders,

I had my injectors cleaned and changed my 4 plugs. My mechanic said he cleaned the injector head with thinner and applied oil treatment to stop a tampering sound from the engine. Now my car drives quieter but the idle is high. around 1500 to 1800 on cold start and drops to 1200 rpm.

How can I reduce the idle to the factory default at 700? I read stuff online and it said I have to perform the idle re-learn procedure, what is that?

Thanks

1.what was wrong with your engine that you had to pour glue into it?

2.hope you dont have leaking vacuum on the intake (un metered air getting into combustion chamber)
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by Inception(m): 8:09am On Jan 31, 2015
You need to perform an idle relearn procedure(as long as every other thing as regards your car is ok o, no check engine light illumiated. if your check engine light is on please scan and determine fault codes first).

Here are the steps:
-Turn off all appliances (heater/ac, lights, radio etc) and make sure you do not operate the windows during this operation(or better still wind down before starting the engine).
-With your gear lever shifted to park(and left there),and parking brake engaged,start your engine, and then depress your throttle pedal until you hit 3000 rpm, and let it remain there.
- leave it at 3000 rpm until your coolant temperature reaches 90 deg. centigrade or your radiator fan kicks in(starts turning, if they have not tampered with it oh! grin) You will know if the radiator fan is working if you put your hand at the door mirror area as you are seated in and you feel hot breeze.
- Once you have noticed that your radiator fan has kicked in, release your feet form the throttle pedal and let the car idle for at least 5 minutes(do not switch on any appliance yet, not even your shoki track cool grin).
- After about 5 minutes, take the car for a ride to confirm performance and correct idle speed.
Hope this helps? undecided
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by klipse: 12:20pm On Jan 31, 2015
Thanks, I had to drive out to buy groceries and on my way back the check engine light came on. Now I couldn't perform the idle relearn plus i have a check engine light...what could be worse now. Did it come on due to the high idle? Can you recommend someone i can meet today to scan and fix this issue, i will be on the road to ibadan next week.
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:27pm On Jan 31, 2015
klipse:
Thanks, I had to drive out to buy groceries and on my way back the check engine light came on. Now I couldn't perform the idle relearn plus i have a check engine light...what could be worse now. Did it come on due to the high idle? Can you recommend someone i can meet today to scan and fix this issue, i will be on the road to ibadan next week.
My signature grin
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by Toksytoks(m): 9:15pm On Jan 31, 2015
This same thing happened to my 2009 Honda accord. I allowed a mechanic clean my injector head and he messed up my car. The idle went up and my car started consuming fuel and I found it hard to reduce my speed or slow down..the would push forward eachtime. I tried the idle re-learn it didnt work I went to oyingbo and had the black switch on the Injector head changed..the problem resolved but the check engine light is still on. I have tried all forms of scanning,the check engine light will dusappear onlybto reappear after few days. Change the black switch/sensor on the injector mouth or get a new injector head..the idle will normalize but as for the check engine light I have resigned my fate . Do not allow anyone clean your injector again.
klipse:
Hi Nlanders,

Thanks
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by klipse: 9:23pm On Jan 31, 2015
Toksytoks:
This same thing happened to my 2009 Honda accord. I allowed a mechanic clean my injector head and he messed up my car. The idle went up and my car started consuming fuel and I found it hard to reduce my speed or slow down..the would push forward eachtime. I tried the idle re-learn it didnt work I went to oyingbo and had the black switch on the Injector head changed..the problem resolved but the check engine light is still on. I have tried all forms of scanning,the check engine light will dusappear onlybto reappear after few days. Change the black switch/sensor on the injector mouth or get a new injector head..the idle will normalize but as for the check engine light I have resigned my fate . Do not allow anyone clean your injector again.

Exactly the same issue i am having now. It pushes forward even when i am braking. And its consuming plenty fuel. I disconnected the battery and reconnect after 10secs which cleared the check engine light but it came back on. Please how much did you pay for the injector head black switch?
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:42pm On Jan 31, 2015
the trouble free cleaning of injectors is done by a chemical (am UK based that how we do it on most our customers) there is a chemical you put in the fuel tank and it mixes with fuel and it cleans the injectors (this depends if a genuine working chemical is avilable in nigeria)

at our workshop we have never really take out and injector and clean it we always give the customers 2 options buy the injector cleaner if it doesnt work go for an new or used injector

this is very rare on petrol, injector failure is common on diesels

also UK petrol from most garages is not fake, not mixing of other chemicals to make more volumes and gas lossong its OCTANE that it would damage injectors but in african its another story the seller always want to

using thinners is not recommned as it eats away the rubber seal, you will end up having a leaking injector

the other best way of keeping your injector much saver is buying fuel from well known good quality service sation (there are people who buy fuel from BP SERIVCE SATION AND THEY ONLY PUT IN 97 OCTANE FUEL )

ABOUT ACTANE watch this vide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:28am On Feb 01, 2015
Zimdrill they are talking about electroninc throttle body cleaning, that resulted in high RPM.
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by disloman(m): 7:00am On Feb 01, 2015
klipse:
Hi Nlanders,

Thanks
D mech err when he used thinner to service ur injector nozzles.Tell him to check d seals of d injector nozzle.If bad,replace n see d result.Not rectified?scan n send d code
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by disloman(m): 7:11am On Feb 01, 2015
Toksytoks:
That last statement is nt right.
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by disloman(m): 7:14am On Feb 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Zimdrill they are talking about electroninc throttle body cleaning, that resulted in high RPM.
grin
GAZZUZZ:
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:39am On Feb 01, 2015
disloman:
grin

MATTHEW! WHY U DE SHINE TEETH?
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by disloman(m): 8:14am On Feb 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

MATTHEW! WHY U DE SHINE TEETH?
is it a crime to do that jim jones?
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:21am On Feb 01, 2015
klipse:

Exactly the same issue i am having now. It pushes forward even when i am braking. And its consuming plenty fuel. I disconnected the battery and reconnect after 10secs which cleared the check engine light but it came back on. Please how much did you pay for the injector head black switch?

your throttle seems to be a bit tight whether its carbon deposit or something else, hence when you brake you feel that the car is fighting to keep on going it, meaning when you brake you let go of the accelerator/gas pedal the throttle stay open let more air meaning car contiunes with same speed even when you foot is off the gas pedal

try by cleaning the throttle body check any carbon built up its a DIY job if you are good with your hands, use throttle body cleaner than any other unrecommended chemicals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yFXjibtLY

you still need to get your car scanned for the check engine light
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:23am On Feb 01, 2015
disloman:
grin

read again he also mentioned the cleaning of injectors so i was responding to that injector cleaning statement
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by disloman(m): 11:47am On Feb 01, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

your throttle seems to be a bit tight whether its carbon deposit or something else, hence when you brake you feel that the car is fighting to keep on going it, meaning when you brake you let go of the accelerator/gas pedal the throttle stay open let more air meaning car contiunes with same speed even when you foot is off the gas pedal

try by cleaning the throttle body check any carbon built up its a DIY job if you are good with your hands, use throttle body cleaner than any other unrecommended chemicals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yFXjibtLY

you still need to get your car scanned for the check engine light
frm what u mentioned might nt b what is causing d fault.cos d op didn't mention it as y he asked d mech to service d fuel line of the car.The mech should recheck d injector seals,the plugs n d air flowmeter hose if damaged.
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by mayor2013: 12:32pm On Feb 01, 2015
disloman:
frm what u mentioned might nt b what is causing d fault.cos d op didn't mention it as y he asked d mech to service d fuel line of the car.The mech should recheck d injector seals,the plugs n d air flowmeter hose if damaged.

Another beautiful rubbish
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by mayor2013: 12:36pm On Feb 01, 2015
klipse:
Hi Nlanders,

Thanks

@ op lets get something straight here. Are you talking about your throttle body locally called injector mouth or your injector noozles or both?
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by chukel(m): 4:56pm On Feb 01, 2015
I agree with disloman. They are having leaky injectors from the seals. While the car is off, fuel leaks thru the bad seals into the cylinders. Once they start, burning off the excess fuel gives high rpm. That's just my postulation. I may be wrong. But I have discovered a very wrong approach of injector cleaning by mechanics. Carb and choke cleaner which they use eats up the seal. They also do not apply voltage to the terminals to open up the valve during cleaning. I'm sure u guys will be getting rich codes like p0172 and or P0175 depending on how many cylinders u have. Change all seals of the nozzles. It's also possible the mechanic removed the original plugs and replaced with the wrong plugs.
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:59pm On Feb 01, 2015
mayor2013:

Another beautiful rubbish

what makes it beautiful rubbish? a leak from the injector seals re-introduces un-metered air into the intake, which would make the car rough idle and rpm would rise.

also a leak before the MAF would cause the car to stall or in some cases high idle.
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:05pm On Feb 01, 2015
chukel:
I agree with disloman. They are having leaky injectors from the seals. While the car is off, fuel leaks thru the bad seals into the cylinders. Once they start, burning off the excess fuel gives high rpm. That's just my postulation. I may be wrong. But I have discovered a very wrong approach of injector cleaning by mechanics. Carb and choke cleaner which they use eats up the seal. They also do not apply voltage to the terminals to open up the valve during cleaning. I'm sure u guys will be getting rich codes like p0172 and or P0175 depending on how many cylinders u have. Change all seals of the nozzles.

lets get something clear this is a typical injector
notice it has 2 seals? 1side seals off fuel from leaking from the fuel rail, while the other side seals up vacuum from the intake.

a leak from the intake side is more likely.

1 Like

Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by chukel(m): 5:12pm On Feb 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

lets get something clear this is a typical injector
notice it has 2 seals? 1side seals off fuel from leaking from the fuel rail, while the other side seals up vacuum from the intake.

a leak from the intake side is more likely.
gazzuz, please more explanation. Where are the seals. The annotations don't show any seals. Really want to understand this. Thanks for the diagram
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:17pm On Feb 01, 2015
chukel:
gazzuz, please more explanation. Where are the seals. The annotations don't show any seals. Really want to understand this. Thanks for the diagram

Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:26pm On Feb 01, 2015
more pics fuel rail.

intake with injectors

following now?

2 Likes

Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by mayor2013: 10:26pm On Feb 01, 2015
chukel:

Better still called "O rings"
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by chukel(m): 10:27pm On Feb 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
more pics fuel rail.

intake with injectors

following now?
Yes boss
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by chukel(m): 10:51pm On Feb 01, 2015
mayor2013:

Better still called "O rings"
very correct. Escaped my memory. In fact that's the name, not seal. Thanks.
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by klipse: 11:00pm On Feb 01, 2015
Well the mechanic said he did the following:

1. Changed my plugs (9k for four of them)
2. Cleaned the throttle head (that is where the air intake hose from the air filter joins) he said he did not remove the head just cleaned the area with thinner.
3. Serviced the four injectors, said he removed them and flush them, that they have 12 holes unlike the usual 6 older models have. Said he made sure the were spraying well then coupled them back

I noticed that some fluid (maybe fuel leak was on the first injector even after a long drive which heat from the engine should have had it evaporated, didn't check the others). Could it mean the seals on the injectors are bad due to removing and cleaning with thinner?
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
klipse:
Well the mechanic said he did the following:

1. Changed my plugs (9k for four of them)
2. Cleaned the throttle head (that is where the air intake hose from the air filter joins) he said he did not remove the head just cleaned the area with thinner.
3. Serviced the four injectors, said he removed them and flush them, that they have 12 holes unlike the usual 6 older models have. Said he made sure the were spraying well then coupled them back

I noticed that some fluid (maybe fuel leak was on the first injector even after a long drive which heat from the engine should have had it evaporated, didn't check the others). Could it mean the seals on the injectors are bad due to removing and cleaning with thinner?

did he touch the MAP sensor ? especially if the thinner got contact with MAP sensor
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by klipse: 9:00am On Feb 02, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

did he touch the MAP sensor ? especially if the thinner got contact with MAP sensor

No he just cleaned the throttle head and the 4 injectors
Re: Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm by disloman(m): 6:26pm On Feb 02, 2015
chukel:
very correct. Escaped my memory. In fact that's the name, not seal. Thanks.
hmmmmm.either u call it seal or O'ring.U right.I will called it injector O'ring cos we av alot of O'rings.cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Overcome A Driving Phobia (Photos) / Toyota Showcases A 2016 Camry Assembled From Plastic Building Blocks / I Just Got My First Car!!!!! Toyota Matrix 2005 Toks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.