Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,258 members, 7,818,884 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

What Does It Means When A Party Adopt Candidate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does It Means When A Party Adopt Candidate? (553 Views)

Governor Ortom And Wife Adopt Girl / AD, Labour Party Adopt Jonathan As Presidential Candidate-daily Trust / Mega Progressive Peoples Party Adopt Gej As Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Means When A Party Adopt Candidate? by lekejob(m): 1:37pm On Jan 31, 2015
Please i need clarification to the issue of party adopting a candidate from other party. When a party adopt a candidate that is not theirs, like APGA adopting Jonathan. If APGA party members now thumb print for APGA on the election day and not PDP will INEC count the vote for PDP.?
Re: What Does It Means When A Party Adopt Candidate? by johnie: 2:01pm On Jan 31, 2015
What it means is that the party is not presenting a candidate for the post in contention.

Such party expects its members to vote for the adopted candidate on the election day.

If any voter thumbprints beside the logo of a party (e.g. APGA) that is not presenting a candidate for that post, such a vote is invalid and would not count even in the party has adopted a candidate.

In the example you have cited, APGA members must thumbprint beside the PDP logo for their vote to count.

INEC is not bound by any agreements made between political parties in terms of coalition, etc.

That is why ANPP, CPC and A CN ceased to exist when APC was formed.

A greater danger in adopting candidates is that your members may end up voting for the other party is elections into other posts hold on the same day.

This is one of the factors that led AD to lose states to PDP in 2003.

AD adopted Obasanjo (the PDP candidate) as their presidential candidate for the elections. Unfortunately, a significant number of AD members went ahead to vote PDP candidates for other posts.

I read recentlly that Gov Obaino sacked one of his aides for a jingle which asked people to vote PDP (I.e Jonathan) without properly explaining that they should vote APGA for other posts.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Means When A Party Adopt Candidate? by lekejob(m): 8:22pm On Jan 31, 2015
johnie:
What it means is that the party is not presenting a candidate for the post in contention.

Such party expects its members to vote for the adopted candidate on the election day.

If any voter thumbprints beside the logo of a party (e.g. APGA) that is not presenting a candidate for that post, such a vote is invalid and would not count even in the party has adopted a candidate.

In the example you have cited, APGA members must thumbprint beside the PDP logo for their vote to count.

INEC is not bound by any agreements made between political parties in terms of coalition, etc.

That is why ANPP, CPC and A CN ceased to exist when APC was formed.

A greater danger in adopting candidates is that your members may end up voting for the other party is elections into other posts hold on the same day.

This is one of the factors that led AD to lose states to PDP in 2003.

AD adopted Obasanjo (the PDP candidate) as their presidential candidate for the elections. Unfortunately, a significant number of AD members went ahead to vote PDP candidates for other posts.

I read recentlly that Gov Obaino sacked one of his aides for a jingle which asked people to vote PDP (I.e Jonathan) without properly explaining that they should vote APGA for other posts.

I hope this helps.

thanks for d info. i appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

Over 20,000 Dump Niger PDP For APC -vatsa / Why We Should Vote Competent And Serious Leaders / DSS: We Have Invited Asari-dokubo Over Inflammatory Statements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.