Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters (47797 Views)

FRA Williams On Buhari And Court Orders: Has Buhari Changed? / What Has Buhari's Administration Achieved This Year? / Buhari Shot Himself In The Leg. Gaffes On Palestine And Israel Issues UN Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by rayzzz: 10:09am On Feb 03, 2015
Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? by Chinedu Rylan

At some point it all looked like Gen. Buhari and his All Progressives Congress (APC) team would pose a deadly serious threat to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and wreck their chances of returning the incumbent President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to power come May 29. But all the early good works and concerted efforts to win the sympathy and support of the masses, and gain their votes have been undone, almost single-handedly by the party itself.

Few weeks ago, it was safe to say that the winner of the February 14 Presidential election was anyone’s guess, bearing in mind that the two frontrunners in the elections were – and still are – neck-and-neck in terms of the number of core supporters they have been able to amass. Both, however, would have – and may still be – banking on the support of millions of undecided eligible Nigerian voters whose minds were yet to be made up on who to support and who not to support. Unfortunately, it now seems that the bulk of those erstwhile undecided voters are moving further away from the Progressives, if online sentiments and those in the streets are anything to go by.

I’ve come across several previously undecided voters, both online and offline, who are now almost certain that they will camp under the Umbrella. I went ahead to require of them what informed their decisions and almost all of them were united in their rationales for settling for the PDP. Assuming that I queried 50 persons about their reasons for shifting to the PDP, 45 of them told me that the APC and Muhammadu Buhari have played into the arms of the PDP.

Now, how has the APC and Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) played into the hands of the People's Democratic Party?

The PDP in their campaign trails and in their online push for reelection have never failed to remind us of how intolerant of any form of opposition, ideological or otherwise, GMB has been. They went as far back as his 1983-85 military regime where he put a host of opposing voices behind bars to buttress their point. One would have expected that the general, as a seasoned and elite politician that he is, would in response guard his utterances and be more watchful of what he says or does in the public and to the media, but the reverse has so far been the case.

In a protest letter recently channeled through the legal director of the APC Presidential Campaign Organization, Chukwuma-Machukwu Ume (SAN), General Buhari threatened to file a lawsuit against the federal government-owned Nigerian Television Authority and the privately owned African Independent Television for what he described as “hate documentaries” against him that were aired in the tail end last month by the stations, unless they retract them and issue a formal apology. Such threats and disposition by an aspiring office holder (or even a serving office holder) are rather uncalled for in a democratic setting. The world over, leaders and politicians are scrutinized and castigated by the media on a daily basis and it’s seen as part of their obligations as watchdogs in the society.

If world leaders should file a lawsuit for every alleged calumny or supposed act of “hate” they've been subjected to, then the mountain of lawsuits that would be filed by the likes of Barack Obama, David Cameron, Vladimir Putin or even our very own Goodluck Jonathan will take several generations of humanity to tackle. These leaders are lampooned on a daily basis yet you rarely hear them threatening to sue anyone for it. His own case shouldn't be any different. So my advice to the General is that the sooner he develops a thick skin to withstand all the media "assault," the better for him, because he will be receiving a truckload of it should he eventually win.

In like manner, the leadership of the APC is doing their presidential and vice presidential aspirants and their image as a whole no good by backing out of a series of debates organized by different corporate bodies and organizations within the country in the run-up to the Valentine’s Day polls. Their no-show at the Nigerian Elections Debate Group (NEDG)’s Vice Presidential debates and their anticipated no-show at the presidential debates to be organized by the trio of the Newspaper Proprietors’ Association of Nigeria (NPAN), Arise News and ChannelsTV do nothing to gainsay the allegation leveled against them by the People’s Democratic Party of being fight shy of a public face-off in which they will have to tackle tough questions and defend their manifestos and party agenda before Nigerians.

Though the APC has come out to deny this allegation and have done their best to repudiate the "dodging theory" of the PDP by citing perceived bias on the part of the organizers of the debates as their reason for backing out, the average and neutral Nigerian on the streets is not buying it. The rebuttal has done very little to convince neutrals who are beginning to toe the PDP’s line. My advice to them is that they should vet their options and come up with a positive decision in time, before the election sets in.

For the sake of time and space, I will stop at these. These and many more PR missteps and political miscalculations have conspired to put the party in a precarious position and rob them of the people's goodwill which they once owned. In an election that will likely be decided by the undecided voters, the APC are fast losing speed and direction. Concerted efforts must be made to repair what has already been damaged and put their push for the country's top job back on track, else they run the risk of losing by a wide margin at the poll.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/02/02/has-buhari-shot-himself-foot

133 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:11am On Feb 03, 2015
Did I just hear the sound of defeat from Sharia Reporters?

197 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by jars9: 10:15am On Feb 03, 2015
Ok

129 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by moneypassmadam: 10:15am On Feb 03, 2015
The attacks on this man is just too much. Just know that when problem starts, there were people who ignited it.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Bevista: 10:15am On Feb 03, 2015
There is no way PDP and GEJ can get back to Aso Rock. The discontentment in the land has reached unimaginable proportions.

How about I tell you that out of the 50 persons I have queried, 35 are voting GMB.

How about you ask AIT and Reno Omokri the results they got when they tried to test GEJ's popularity & acceptability compared to GMB.

GMB shooting GEJ in the foot since 2014.

Come feb14th, I'm righting the wrong of April 2011.

#TeamGMB2015

221 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by kekakuz(m): 10:16am On Feb 03, 2015
that is what happens when u give an uneducated Fulani man a riffle

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by foliman(m): 10:16am On Feb 03, 2015
Notwithstanding, what I believe is this; neither GEJ nor GMB can rule us the way we want, only God can heal our land... GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Burger01(m): 10:16am On Feb 03, 2015
People should leave Buhari alone. I wonder if these people shouting Buhari this Buhari that ever have anything important in their lives to do. na wa o

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by fpeter(f): 10:16am On Feb 03, 2015
Free this man already!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by BlackPeni5: 10:16am On Feb 03, 2015
No he didn't shoot himself, GMB used explosives on himself.

If GEJ sued everybody who called him clueless, the whole of Nairaland (myself inclusive) would be in Jail by now.

Politics of today requires a thick skin to withstand criticism.

296 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
I dey come

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
Interesting, when even APC official media outlet is doubting Buhari's choice to back out of debates, then you know water don pass garri.
Anyway, I have decided, GEJ till 2019

201 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by otijah(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
The problem is that as an illiterate he doesn't know when and how to come in, in filing a case against someone or a firm, he is only shooting his feet, I promise after the election he would surely kill himself
SAI GEJ

58 Likes 6 Shares

Plain silly, anyways
Click like for GMB
Click share for GEJ

190 Likes 128 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by MillionDollars: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
irony

2 Likes

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by aristocrazzy: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
Na wa for this kind news oo.
Any way Buhari all the way.

33 Likes

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Decapo: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
I be think say he cari gun shoot himsef for leg ni

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by HrtBrkSteve(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
He's plain
Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Firefire(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
shocked

APC experiencing Failure at the edge of inflated miracles. cheesy

the God of our land be praised. cool

Read more here:

https://www.nairaland.com/2127486/buhari-shot-himself-foot-sahara/2#30383839

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by pekeyim: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
Even Sahara.

I think they've hacked them.

No wonder APC couldn't attend the presidential debate, by Channels TV.
Probably they've been Hacked also.

Confusion every where.

Even Tinubu saying Certificate or. No certificate!!!

#Sai. GEJ

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by money121(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
Which kin Headline be this?? I don fear ooo..

Hmmmmm but..

Original/authentic stone coated roofing tile.. From Ds Rooftile south korea....

PRICE :#2,600 naira per sqm direct to your site.. So don't bother about the transportation fees @all

Guage/Thickness:0.55mm

Warranty:50yrs warranty

Call Ayyub on 08085310359
Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by jars9: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
Ok

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by greatbaba(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
How does this affect the price of garri in the market? ;o

3 Likes

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by frodobee: 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
Unfit old man, that should be resting with his ancestors.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by EmoBoy(m): 10:17am On Feb 03, 2015
Was sahara reporters hacked?

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by sunnydayasaba(m): 10:18am On Feb 03, 2015
Am still an Undecided voter

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by peteruuu(m): 10:18am On Feb 03, 2015
Story for the gods...the gods o

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Nutase: 10:18am On Feb 03, 2015
a sponsore post?
Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by itetemi: 10:18am On Feb 03, 2015
in the united states, townhall meetings are crucial but debate is compulsory because it is recognised in the constitution and that is why you have the united states commission of presidential debates.the commission is non partisan in its duties.

it is not like here when anyone can just decide to do debate and probably the underdog candidate jumps more at it.

look at in 2011, jonathan did not bother to debate because he probably felt more confident of his chances.

it is okay to debate but it is not compulsory and a lot of things determine victory at the polls not one.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by mencade4: 10:18am On Feb 03, 2015
an attack on boko haram is an attack on the North - Buhari

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters by Descartes: 10:18am On Feb 03, 2015
We already know.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What They Won't Tell You About The New Minimum Wage (Screenshot) / Stephanie Hegarty Reacts To Magu's Rejection By Nigerian Senate / Dino Melaye Meets Goodluck Jonathan And His Wife, Mama Peace (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.