Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Why Nigerians Must Wise Up And Rise Up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Must Wise Up And Rise Up (356 Views)

Taraba Governor - Christians In Southern Kaduna, Rise Up & Defend Yourself / When Will These IPOB DUNCES Wise Up? / This Is Terrible News From India! Let's Rise Up Against It Before It's Too Late! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Must Wise Up And Rise Up by Listic1: 4:17pm On Feb 03, 2015
WHY NIGERIANS MUST WISE UP AND RISE UP

The 2015 election isn't about APC vs PDP. It isn't about north vs south. And it is definitely not about Christians vs Muslims. For me, it's all about who can identify and fix the myriad issues facing Nigeria.

Sadly or more appropriately, curiously, everyone involved in the electioneering process - those canvassing for votes from the electorate - has either not identified these challenges or has deliberately refused to bring them to the front burner. All we keep hearing are just rhetorics which have no force. Some of which include: 'consulting with stakeholders'; 'dividends of democracy'; 'change!'; 'transformation'.

But who will address the pertinent question of reducing the cost of governance by, for instance, proposing a part time legislature which only gets sitting allowances; who will see to it that potable water flows in every single home in Nigeria; who will address the imminent bankruptcy of Nigeria because the only decent commodity we can offer to the world is (the very volatile) crude oil.

I still ask, who will put the right infrastructure in place that will prevent a sizeable portion of our people - not to even mention those in our citadels of higher learning - from defecating in the open. Who, and I repeat who, will ignite the creative and imaginative flame of our (young) people in order for them to come up with products and services that will bless the world. Who will set up that process that will trigger the rapid industrialisation of Nigeria and in the process address youth unemployment.

Fundamentally, I also ask, who will stand up for expunging the conspicuous immunity arrangement in our system when the act or conduct complained of has no positive relationship whatsoever with the functions of public office. How about putting a stop to the very troubling (I dare say, criminal) security vote which public officers spend however they please without any form of accountability.

There are other issues which beg for highlighting. Meantime, though, all I am concerned about as one who has found himself in these parts, especially as we go to the polls, is how the generality of the populace will be able to identify that one person or those groups of people who could do just one thing for them: 'MAKE THEM SMILE'. That is, elevate them from this animal existence to a level that accords with their humanity and global best practice.

I understand that all the changes and transformation we require and deserve cannot happen overnight or even in a day. That, however, is besides the point. At the heart of this very short thesis is the fact that the people for whom the government exists have all abandoned their roles as interrogators of those who seek their mandate and have instead been carried away by mundane issues.

We must halt at this point and realise that time is running out on us. As such, we must become more circumspect in our choices. Four years, perhaps eight, in the life of a person is an outrageously long time to waste. How much more in the life of a country that is in dire straits and in desperate need of a national ethos!

Humbly,
O. D. Nengim, Esq.
(Listic1)

(1) (Reply)

Questions For Nigeria's Presidential Candidates / How To Break News Online Without A Source. / INEC Resident Commissioners Reject Postponement Of Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.