Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,007 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Issue Of Outcast 'osu' - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Issue Of Outcast 'osu' (1856 Views)

How Can One Handle The Issue Of Trust? / How To Enjoy Your Marriage without the Issue Of Unfaithfullness / On The Issue Of lifepartners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Debbiemma(f): 9:49am On Feb 04, 2015
A friend of mine who is in his early thirties was looking for a wife,after much searching,he finally met a lady,they fell in love and they were planning to get married.Preparations have been made,cards have been printed,wedding gown have been hired,hall rented,brides maid and grooms man have been arranged infact every preparation needed to make it a bliss have been put in place.suddenly my friends family found out that the lady is an outcast.they told him the wedding cannot hold again,to make matters worst,his elderly mother told him to prepare for her burial if he marries the girl.Nairalander's, does the issue of outcast still exists in your town,and if you were in my friend's shoes,what will you do?

1 Like

Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Ukeachu1(m): 10:31am On Feb 04, 2015
Debbiemma:
A friend of mine who is in his early thirties was looking for a wife,after much searching,he finally met a lady,they fell in love and they were planning to get married.Preparations have been made,cards have been printed,wedding gown have been hired,hall rented,brides maid and grooms man have been arranged infact every preparation needed to make it a bliss have been put in place.suddenly my friends family found out that the lady is an outcast.they told him the wedding cannot hold again,to make matters worst,his elderly mother told him to prepare for her burial if he marries the girl.Nairalander's, does the issue of outcast still exists in your town,and if you were in my friend's shoes,what will you do?

the osu tin is a dent on the ibo culture. takes only a real man to jettison it. if ur friends husband to be won't marry her then she is better for it. he probably is stil a boy. abi na the family day pay for the marriage
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Godmother(f): 10:37am On Feb 04, 2015
I thought this trend had died down. Guess there are some things that even education and time cannot erase.
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 04, 2015
He should have done his findings earlier, before they started getting serious. The lady too should have opened up. Two people coming together in a marriage should bare it all, not asking irrelevant questions like how many people a partner has slept with.

I know this osu issue to be very grave such that communicants in a parish declined taking holy communion from an osu reverend father.

Infact I advice people who know our society's prejudice against single mothers, divorcees, osu, etc to always let their partner know even before hitting the sheets so when he/shee leaves you won't feel cheated.

I think I'd worry more about a history of violence, abusive tendencies, epilepsy, extravagance, untimely death, dullness etc over Osu.

2 Likes

Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by lilmax(m): 12:43pm On Feb 04, 2015
I dont believe this
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by mutter(f): 4:31pm On Feb 04, 2015
It still exists.

When a young man takes the bold step to marry an osu- that is courageous and noble.

When his children are born osu - that is..... . The children are born with the same stigma their mother had.
So would you be able to raise your kid`s strong enough to cope with this?

There are sacrifices that can be made for such a marriage to take place.
However this seems to be known by few and has till date been done only by the rich as far as I know.
Some very prominent Igbo Nigerians are Osu.

3 Likes

Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by An0nimus: 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
Some one be kind enough to explain this Osu thing or share a good web link to it? Need to understand how it works.

Is it for life?
Can it be removed?
How does one become an Osu?
What's the origin?
Any spiritual implications?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Nobody: 5:52pm On Feb 04, 2015
This practice eeh.

Cococandy, show urself cos ur people r the number one culprit cheesy

What is even d origin?
And I heard they r always beautiful,handsome and wealthy.

I didn't check,didnt ask.
Will ask hubby if his people asked.

1 Like

Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by cococandy(f): 5:55pm On Feb 04, 2015
I don't know the origin o.

You need to see the way my parents used to shout at me when I was single because I used to say I won't even bother about that practice when I'm ready to marry.

It is all a mental prison. I wish I can make them see it for it for what it really is.
moca:
This practice eeh.

Cococandy, show urself cos ur people r the number one culprit cheesy

What is even d origin?
And I heard they r always beautiful,handsome and wealthy.

I didn't check,didnt ask.
Will ask hubby if his people asked.

1 Like

Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 04, 2015
cococandy:
I don't know the origin o.

You need to see the way my parents used to shout at me when I was single because I used to say I won't even bother about that practice when I'm ready to marry.

It is all a mental prison. I wish I can make them see it for it for what it really is.
U know why I called u out?
Sorry I use ur peopl(not for bashing pls).

They r so much into this thing. Infact, see adrenaline pumping anytime we argue about it.
An osu dare not join them in kporakpo meeting.
An osu dare not live in d same room with them,rather they will go and squat.
If 3 or 4 of them r gathered and discussing,an d they sight an osu, they will all leave as if something is on their tail.
these r young school gals.

As per d guys, even during friendship, they hv started asking,inquiring if she is an osu.

It was soo bad we yab and taunt them a lot.

I know that thing exist but some people take it way too serious.
See marginalization. So what do they preach in church abi church people r also part of d ish?

No vex o.
Just remembering school days.
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by cococandy(f): 6:10pm On Feb 04, 2015
Vex ke? If I vex, it will be for the people who still hold onto such mindset tenaciously. It is even worse among the Christians because according to them the osu belong to the gods as such don't have business with Christians.

Such nonsense undecided
moca:

U know why I called u out?
Sorry I use ur peopl(not for bashing pls).

They r so much into this thing. Infact, see adrenaline pumping anytime we argue about it.
An osu dare not join them in kporakpo meeting.
An osu dare not live in d same room with them,rather they will go and squat.
If 3 or 4 of them r gathered and discussing,an d they sight an osu, they will all leave as if something is on their tail.
these r young school gals.

As per d guys, even during friendship, they hv started asking,inquiring if she is an osu.

It was soo bad we yab and taunt them a lot.

I know that thing exist but some people take it way too serious.
See marginalization. So what do they preach in church abi church people r also part of d ish?

No vex o.
Just remembering school days.
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 04, 2015
cococandy:
Vex ke? If I vex, it will be for the people who still hold onto such mindset tenaciously. It is even worse among the Christians because according to them the osu belong to the gods as such don't have business with Christians.

Such nonsense undecided
Osanubua!! cheesy
Naija!
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by corisande: 6:56pm On Feb 04, 2015
It still exists
I just smh at those that argue that it doesn't

just that nobody cares if you're one UNTIL when marriage comes up. especially if you're igbo

I get same replies as cococandy from my parents too when I say I don't care osu or not if I meet the one

1 Like

Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by Debbiemma(f): 6:58pm On Feb 04, 2015
According to my own understanding,an OSU is a child of an oracle
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by cococandy(f): 7:09pm On Feb 04, 2015
corisande:
It still exists
I just smh at those that argue that it doesn't

just that nobody cares if you're one UNTIL when marriage comes up. especially if you're igbo

I get same replies as cococandy from my parents too when I say I don't care osu or not if I meet the one
but I don't believe it works or affects anyone who marries an osu. All of that is superstition.
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by iseleiyanu(m): 7:55pm On Feb 04, 2015
Pls what is d meaning of 'OSU'?
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by prissyluv(f): 8:22pm On Feb 04, 2015
The osu thing is a very strong one in Igbo land.
I dont even know where to start self.
As for the young man if he loves the lady dearly and ready to face his peoples actions,he should go ahead and marry the lady. There are no consequences but the stigma.
The thing is,once he marries that lady,the family has been contaminated. They might even ostracise him from the umunna meeting and may never allow him to eat and drink with them in any gathering. This happens where the osu ish is strong.
Personally I dont share in this osu idealogy. We are all one.
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by iseleiyanu(m): 8:36am On Feb 05, 2015
prissyluv:
The osu thing is a very strong one in Igbo land.
I dont even know where to start self.
As for the young man if he loves the lady dearly and ready to face his peoples actions,he should go ahead and marry the lady. There are no consequences but the stigma.
The thing is,once he marries that lady,the family has been contaminated. They might even ostracise him from the umunna meeting and may never allow him to eat and drink with them in any gathering. This happens where the osu ish is strong.
Personally I dont share in this osu idealogy. We are all one.

I'm a Yoruba guy, can u pls explain OSU to me?
Re: Issue Of Outcast 'osu' by prissyluv(f): 9:12am On Feb 05, 2015
iseleiyanu:

I'm a Yoruba guy, can u pls explain OSU to me?
You will understand it better dear if you google it.
In a common parlance though,osu people are referred to as those belonging to the gods. Their fathers or forefathers ran to the gods during time of war or conflict and the gods spared their lives. Those too who were brought from war as slaves are being referred to as 'osu' or 'oru' and as such those that call themselves free born dont want to marry them or associate with them for fear of being contaminated.

(1) (Reply)

Proud Father! Vincent Enyeama Groom’s His Beautiful Daughter’s Hair (photo) / If Your Mum Did This To You, You Are One Of Them [see Photo] / Kindly Read A Miraculous Testimony & Know That Holy Spirit God Is Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.