Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:02 AM

Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass (12538 Views)

Nigerian Lecturers Enter Their Students-Made Airplane : Funny But True / 6 ways Nigerian Lecturers,frustrate their student. / Why Are Nigerian Lecturers Wicked To Their Students? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 9:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
Some times I begin to wonder if Nigeria university lecturers really poses the quality they tend to boast with around the campus.

During my final year days, we had a lecturer who was telling us that though is course is very voluminous, and "we would have to do a lot of cramming before we can pass it".

Should this kind of statement be coming out from our lecturers?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by oluwadanie1(m): 9:41pm On Feb 05, 2015
what school did you attend sir??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 9:44pm On Feb 05, 2015
oluwadanie1:
what school did you attend sir??

Please I don't want to mention school, for protection sake.. thanks for your understanding
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 1:55am On Feb 06, 2015
I don't know if this is true, I believe it is half-true.

Although I remember majority of students cramming to pass, I also remember the ones who received the most praise were those who studied to understand.

The cramming part of your question is due to the huge ego of lecturers; they love reading examinations scripts with words printed verbatim as their lectures. Everyone loves listening to their own voice and teaching students to cram reinforces the saying.
However, students who study to understand exercise critical thinking when answering questions. Lecturers treasure this skill but "forget" to advise students to hone it.

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by obiak4(m): 2:05am On Feb 06, 2015
craming is not advisable, study to show urself approved don't cram my 10000 cowries contribution to students out here is to learn how to use mnemonics with that you gat endless possibilities instead of craming.
disclaimer you must study effectively to use it's full potential not reading few weeks to exams and expecting a miracle

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 6:47am On Feb 06, 2015
charix:
I don't know if this is true, I believe it is half-true.

Although I remember majority of students cramming to pass, I also remember the ones who received the most praise were those who studied to understand.

The cramming part of your question is due to the huge ego of lecturers; they love reading examinations scripts with words printed verbatim as their lectures. Everyone loves listening to their own voice and teaching students to cram reinforces the saying.
However, students who study to understand exercise critical thinking when answering questions. Lecturers treasure this skill but "forget" to advise students to hone it.

Why do people think all story posted on NL are false story, why would I come here and lie? What is my gain, despite the fact that they call it faceless forum I still put my picture to clear away doubt.

I don't want to name the school in other not to tarnish the image of the school and the lecturer, what is my gain in spoiling people's name.

I posted this here just to know if such has ever happened to them before.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 6:50am On Feb 06, 2015
obiak4:
craming is not advisable, study to show urself approved don't cram my 10000 cowries contribution to students out here is to learn how to use mnemonics with that you gat endless possibilities instead of craming.
disclaimer you must study effectively to use it's full potential not reading few weeks to exams and expecting a miracle

Yes I understand, I just don't like cramming myself, what is the essence of cramming to the exams and after pouring it down you now forget everything you were thought, so I also advice people also to read and know it.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by onosprince(m): 9:11pm On Feb 08, 2015
I never heard of that before, My lecturers instead tell us to come and block, even if you know the course.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by teemanbastos(m): 9:12pm On Feb 08, 2015
cramminq reminds me of calculus in '3 idiots' undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by searay(m): 9:12pm On Feb 08, 2015
wink wink grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed undecided kiss
Most of them are muopic and very lazy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by remoranger(m): 9:12pm On Feb 08, 2015
Cos they usually have nothing to offer and do not know their course in detail

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by SELENAqueensy(f): 9:13pm On Feb 08, 2015
I don't know o
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:13pm On Feb 08, 2015
Cramming aka Agberugbeso.

Most of those lecturers are olodo jare, they don't want students to grow academically.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by lifestyle1(m): 9:13pm On Feb 08, 2015
Because majority of them (Lecturers) crammed to pass their exams

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by AbuMikey(m): 9:13pm On Feb 08, 2015
My Lecturers don't tell us to cram nothing, You just write down the necessary points and submit Your answer booklet.
Except for Graphics and Design lecturers, whom You really need to do Your Best Possible to get an A, Design especially. gringringrin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by frostland(m): 9:13pm On Feb 08, 2015
becus da are too lazy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by dante23: 9:14pm On Feb 08, 2015
Lecturers cram their notes before coming to class. Marking scheme is the reason why their inability to understand what teach hasn't been revealed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by trisha01(f): 9:16pm On Feb 08, 2015
story...
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Rapsodee(m): 9:16pm On Feb 08, 2015
The best you can do for some courses during exams in order to get quality marks is to GIVE THEM THE WAY THEY GAVE YOU,therefore,cramming will be required for this,some lecturers won't give you full marks if you use your own words and apart from that,the lecturer may give out his marking scheme for others to mark,if your answer differs a bit,you may not get full marks....

When you are told to cram,you had better do!

#Rapsodee

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by bright007(f): 9:18pm On Feb 08, 2015
Because Nigerian tertiary institutions lack equipments to do the praticals of what is taught in class.
hence you must cram everything including things you dont understand.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:18pm On Feb 08, 2015
That's stereotyped teaching!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Libkid(m): 9:19pm On Feb 08, 2015
cramming no easy o.a good crammer will always remember no mata wat
final bullet:abeg who no dey cram ni??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 08, 2015
Because the educational system is crap, globally.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 08, 2015
Do whatever you need to do to pass your exams. Am all for studying meticulously but If your lecturer says you need to cram to pass, then so be it.
N.B: We hear worse in my school. Imagine a lecture telling us that we need to request for extra sheet to get an A. And many more...

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by musicwriter(m): 9:23pm On Feb 08, 2015
That's as a result of the failed education system.

Believe me, I best understand what you're talking about and it's part of my ongoing research work.

Education is dead in this country and the trend seems to be the same in some other African countries. No matter what the teacher told you, I'll advise you never to cram your studies. You are meant to "conceptualize" a subject or branch of study not cram it. Cramming can only help you pass exams.

The best that cramming a subject can do is help you pass your exams but it doesn't mean you know it. It's very worrying the structure of education we operate seems to focus on preparing students to pass exams and it's very wrong because this's why we keep on churning out students who can't get employed or science students who don't even know science means job. Most can't get job because when tested by prospective employers have nothing to show for their many years in school because they've spent their school years cramming.

I'm not blaming students or teachers though but the system of education. The teachers themselves are no different as they're a product of the same failed system. There's something wrong with the system of education in Africa as a whole.

I've offered solution as it relates to science education in Africa. Check my signature for details.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 08, 2015
bright007:
Because Nigerian tertiary institutions lack equipments to do the praticals of what is taught in class.
hence you must cram everything including things you dont understand.
Not all courses require equipments and practicals. Am a student of politics and sometimes you just gotta cram to ace your exam.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Chrisx1x(m): 9:32pm On Feb 08, 2015
Am stil a student.i combine all types of reading techniques including cramming..all i need is the grade.
The truth is that cramming dont work for all courses.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 08, 2015
That's why most graduates don't know shii. Mindless cramming without understanding the subject matter. But what can we do if that is what the lecturers want?

Some of our lecturers need to be reoriented.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by kelobestline(m): 9:35pm On Feb 08, 2015
I understands what you're saying, eye witness

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 08, 2015
every 1 just dey form

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unaab: 2009/10 Admission: / : Nov/dec Neco Gce 2010/2011 Result Will Be Out On Net Soon. Call O81.6115146o / UNILAG VC Wins €38,000 Global Biodiversity Information Facility Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.