Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass (12556 Views)

Nigerian Lecturers Enter Their Students-Made Airplane : Funny But True / 6 ways Nigerian Lecturers,frustrate their student. / Why Are Nigerian Lecturers Wicked To Their Students? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 6:33am On Feb 09, 2015
hbpeze:

who talk say na false story you posted,abeg make we hear word because you post one stupid topic you dy rant

If you are not comfortable with this thread go to court tongue

By their fruits you shall know them tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by ijiini(m): 6:39am On Feb 09, 2015
...u go.fear.....one law lecturer for my school.can.cram the whole law textbook....u go.c am as he dey hit his hand on his head as he dey pour am.down.....so.who are u students not to cram!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 7:01am On Feb 09, 2015
wunmi590:
Some times I begin to wonder if Nigeria university lecturers really poses the quality they tend to boast with around the campus.

During my final year days, we had a lecturer who was telling us that though is course is very voluminous, and "we would have to do a lot of cramming before we can pass it".

Should this kind of statement be coming out from our lecturers?

poor educational system no room for creativity
it as to be status quo
give back exactly what you were given

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by excess4luv: 7:16am On Feb 09, 2015
LA CRAM LA POUR LA FORGET, that's the trend in some higher institutions pre-dominantly art based courses,

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by yettyfad(f): 7:29am On Feb 09, 2015
Libkid:
cramming no easy o.a good crammer will always remember no mata wat
final bullet:abeg who no dey cram ni??
no one can cram without reading or gettng full understanding of wot u re readng.any student wu can read n remember all in d exam abeg u don cram.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by CyberTerrorist: 7:48am On Feb 09, 2015
Some of them will tell you to give them exactly what they gave you... angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by rhamses: 7:52am On Feb 09, 2015
Cram, cram, cram. That is an important learning technique. Ever heard of Mnemonics? That is still part of cramming and believe me, some info must be crammed or memorized.
There is no need faulting cramming dear poster, it's done every where by students and lecturers alike. Notwithstanding, what is important is remembering and applying what you learnt in school. Memory is complex (ask a neuroscientist) and different techniques are used to consolidate it.
I have nothing against/for cramming, but what is vital is your ability to produce that info when needed.
The major difference between education in developed,developing and under-develop countries is the availability of research institutes and modern practical aid/guide.

"You only remember few of what you read, much of what you see and almost all of what you see and touch".

Developed countries have devise better ways of assessing memory by using applied questions and other examination tools. Thats what we lack in our educational system. However, some lecturers are gradually shifting from the archaic methods.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by AbuMikey(m): 7:58am On Feb 09, 2015
dnacrystal:
What is your course of study?

Architecture.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by dnacrystal: 8:47am On Feb 09, 2015
AbuMikey:

Architecture.
Oh. I asked because you mentioned graphic design.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by tosyne2much(m): 8:48am On Feb 09, 2015
wunmi590:

You can't believe that lecturer was telling us with boldness, he even told us that during his days he did the course and he also crammed it to pass. But I don't know why people don't believe what people say here.
That's the way our lecturers are

I remembered one said, I need your handout definition

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by rsleeky(f): 9:15am On Feb 09, 2015
Yea true..Also heard such from two or three of my lecturers

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by AbuMikey(m): 9:45am On Feb 09, 2015
dnacrystal:
Oh. I asked because you mentioned graphic design.

they are different courses actually.

Architectural Graphics.
Architectural Design.

Are You a Fine/Applied Arts Student?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by justmenoni: 10:20am On Feb 09, 2015
Exactly..some lecturers might even fail you for writing word to word and if you challenge the result you might be told to reqrite the exam(different question though) and this might be unexpected..u sabi the course abi oya write a new exam lol seriously i enjoy lectures/coourses that you can answer or interpret with your own words it will show that you really udnerstand it.

charix:
I don't know if this is true, I believe it is half-true.

Although I remember majority of students cramming to pass, I also remember the ones who received the most praise were those who studied to understand.

The cramming part of your question is due to the huge ego of lecturers; they love reading examinations scripts with words printed verbatim as their lectures. Everyone loves listening to their own voice and teaching students to cram reinforces the saying.
However, students who study to understand exercise critical thinking when answering questions. Lecturers treasure this skill but "forget" to advise students to hone it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by npn001(f): 10:38am On Feb 09, 2015
This is because, more than half of what you're taught in school is irrelevant after school and because they know this they tell you to cram so that at least you'll be called a graduate.

Na personal development sure pass!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by laplace19(m): 5:12pm On Feb 09, 2015
The lecturer handling us on PRESTRESSED CONCRETE DESIGN this final year told us same.... the course has many formula coupled with the design code.... in this course cramming those numerous formulas is indispensable since we ain't entering exam hall with the full design code... we no get choice shaa

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by misshoree(f): 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2015
The truth is that our educational system is sosososososososososo weak.people don't longer go to school to learn,they go to school to earn grades.lecturer no longer teach to mk students learn but to make students pass. And its so pathetic . Smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II / ANSU COOU 2016/2017 Post Utme Screening Form Is Officially Out / 2016/2017 Jamb Biology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.