Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass (12558 Views)

Nigerian Lecturers Enter Their Students-Made Airplane : Funny But True / 6 ways Nigerian Lecturers,frustrate their student. / Why Are Nigerian Lecturers Wicked To Their Students? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by makazona(m): 9:38pm On Feb 08, 2015
i hate cramming wt passion
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 08, 2015
Because they can't teach or make students understand the outdated crap that they teach. So they believe that cramming is the only way out.

Illiterate teaching illiterate cry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Missmossy(f): 9:52pm On Feb 08, 2015
Not everyone can cram and remember. The lecturer isn't supposed to say so, only very few people will pass that way
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 08, 2015
wunmi590:
Some times I begin to wonder if Nigeria university lecturers really poses the quality they tend to boast with around the campus.

During my final year days, we had a lecturer who was telling us that though is course is very voluminous, and "we would have to do a lot of cramming before we can pass it".

Should this kind of statement be coming out from our lecturers?
What will you say about a lecturer who tells the class A is for God, B is for him and students can fight for the rest.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Lescott7(m): 9:56pm On Feb 08, 2015
Dat makes me remember a business admin course where d lecturer told us we need to cram to get an A which I did so and had the A

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 08, 2015
wunmi590:
Some times I begin to wonder if Nigeria university lecturers really poses the quality they tend to boast with around the campus.

During my final year days, we had a lecturer who was telling us that though is course is very voluminous, and "we would have to do a lot of cramming before we can pass it".

oga shutup. Nothing like nigerian lecturers. If a lecturer said such is not enough reason for you to brand all nigerian lecturers as same. All my days in school no lecturer in my skul has ever used the word cram on any of my course mate.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Kbdon(m): 10:00pm On Feb 08, 2015
come to usman danfodiyo and you will see great crammers.a student will cram 50 pages in 2 hrs bt dnt know what d handout is all abt.some might even forget d course.mhen all those sokoto.kebbi.zamfara indegens can cram sha.proudly danfodite
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by tartar9(m): 10:08pm On Feb 08, 2015
becoz they are simply teaching you the nonsense they have been taught by their own lecturers
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by ramalot(m): 10:12pm On Feb 08, 2015
Chrisx1x:
Am stil a student.i combine all types of reading techniques including cramming..all i need is the grade.
The truth is that cramming dont work for all courses.

This is the reason the average Nigerian graduate is semi-illiterate.

Of what use is a grade if one month down the line you can't defend that grade? undecided

Yes, you might land a job if you get a good grade, but what value do you then bring to the workforce?

You're still a student, so it's not too late to change your mindset.
Learn the material for the sake of the material, and the good grades just come with the territory. Good luck.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by shadelek(m): 10:15pm On Feb 08, 2015
I wonder why those lecturers behave as if they were not once in there students shoe. I could remember a lecturer that will ask us to give like ten definitions of a term according to the names in quote. The funniest part of it is if u refused to put comma or full stop where the said name put it, OYO lo wa
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Abdulleeh: 10:19pm On Feb 08, 2015
What do u expect from a dull system?

Dull lecturers invariably yielding dull students.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by itzWarner(m): 10:31pm On Feb 08, 2015
Its simply because they crammed in skool also,aint got a much knowledge bout the course

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by FAVOUR13: 11:06pm On Feb 08, 2015
wunmi590:

Why do people think all story posted on NL are false story, why would I come here and lie? What is my gain, despite the fact that they call it faceless forum I still put my picture to clear away doubt.

I don't want to name the school in other not to tarnish the image of the school and the lecturer, what is my gain in spoiling people's name.

I posted this here just to know if such has ever happened to them before.

HOW DO WE BELIVE U WHEN U CANT TELL US THE NAME OF UR SCHOOL. OF COURSE U ARE A LIAR
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by lyrikx(m): 11:48pm On Feb 08, 2015
Reasons not to school in nigeria just keep piling up..no wonder graduates of nw can't really praticalize wot dey learnt in skol.diz coms back to haunt d country as it leads to brain drain

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by AreaFada2: 12:18am On Feb 09, 2015
Cramming has never been my strength. That's why I hated art subjects like history.

In science, you go by first principle.

Is either you know what adrenaline does to your body or you don't. You either know what HIV does to your white blood cells or you don't.

Same with Newton's laws or what cartesian tensor has to do with Euclidean space.

Either you know the principles & how to apply them or you don't. Cramming is useless.

Lecturers who encourage cramming are not preparing students for the real deal out there in the world.

I didn't go through 9ja tertiary education system. Very different in the West.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by alijusty: 1:23am On Feb 09, 2015
Let's all tell ourselves the truth. We mostly cram our way through the university and it is not just a Nigeria issue. It is also the same thing here in Germany where i am studying for my Master's Degree. It is la Cram, La pour all through. But the differentiating factor is the emphasis on the practical aspects which you can't really cram. You need to understand it. Take for instance, I am studying Information Technology. In one of the courses i took, Data Structures and Algorithm, we were taught things like Linear Search, Binary Search, FIFO, LIFO, Selection Sort, Depth First Search etc. You need to cram the concepts to actually pass the exam but then the course had a practical aspect to it and here you had to actually write Java Codes for the above things. Infact you needed to achieve a total of 65% and above in the practical assignments before you can be allowed to register for the exam. This is the major difference between education here in Germany and what is obtainable in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by tosyne2much(m): 1:34am On Feb 09, 2015
ramalot:

This is the reason the average Nigerian graduate is semi-illiterate.

Of what use is a grade if one month down the line you can't defend that grade? undecided

Yes, you might land a job if you get a good grade, but what value do you then bring to the workforce?

You're still a student, so it's not too late to change your mindset.
Learn the material for the sake of the material, and the good grades just come with the territory. Good luck.
God bless you bro.. You saved me from typing stress

La cram La pour principles applied just to get good grades is the main reason why the numbers of half baked graduates will always outweigh the numbers of the fully baked ones. However, you will lack confidence if your life revolves around cramming and it fails you

There's a dude rocking my dept with this cramming principle of a thing. I remembered a time he sat beside me during a test. He must have crammed his life out when the lecturer asked a brain storming question which requires high level of thinking NOT cramming. You won't believe this dude was just hissing because cramming principles had failed till he ran out of time

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 2:17am On Feb 09, 2015
I always wonder why we humans make things hard for ourselves..

why lecturers be like this sef?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by upros(m): 3:09am On Feb 09, 2015
http://youthincome.com/?user=13919 online money making ..easy nd 100% real..
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 3:13am On Feb 09, 2015
FAVOUR13:

HOW DO WE BELIVE U WHEN U CANT TELL US THE NAME OF UR SCHOOL. OF COURSE U ARE A LIAR

Thanks, if you have finished reading you can leave this thread tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by dnacrystal: 3:16am On Feb 09, 2015
AbuMikey:
My Lecturers don't tell us to cram nothing, You just write down the necessary points and submit Your answer booklet.
Except for Graphics and Design lecturers, whom You really need to do Your Best Possible to get an A, Design especially. gringringrin
What is your course of study?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 3:19am On Feb 09, 2015
mikketech:
oga shutup. Nothing like nigerian lecturers. If a lecturer said such is not enough reason for you to brand all nigerian lecturers as same. All my days in school no lecturer in my skul has ever used the word cram on any of my course mate.

Oga shutdwn, speak for yourself. If you are not happy with this thread go to court tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by dnacrystal: 3:20am On Feb 09, 2015
wunmi590:

Thanks, if you have finished reading you can leave this thread tongue
I dont need it but there's really no big deal in mentioning just the name of the school. Schools are mentioned everyday for even worse things.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 3:23am On Feb 09, 2015
dnacrystal:
I dont need it but there's really no big deal in mentioning just the name of the school. Schools are mentioned everyday for even worse things.

But I guess is not good to mention such, but why do people believe everything people say here is not real?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 3:30am On Feb 09, 2015
tosyne2much:
God bless you bro.. You saved me from typing stress

La cram La pour principles applied just to get good grades is the main reason why the numbers of half baked graduates will always outweigh the numbers of the fully baked ones. However, you will lack confidence if your life revolves around cramming and it fails you

There's a dude rocking my dept with this cramming principle of a thing. I remembered a time he sat beside me during a test. He must have crammed his life out when the lecturer asked a brain storming question which requires high level of thinking NOT cramming. You won't believe this dude was just hissing because cramming principles had failed till he ran out of time

You can't believe that lecturer was telling us with boldness, he even told us that during his days he did the course and he also crammed it to pass. But I don't know why people don't believe what people say here.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 3:34am On Feb 09, 2015
Lescott7:
Dat makes me remember a business admin course where d lecturer told us we need to cram to get an A which I did so and had the A

You can see, but some people here won't believe you, they would rather call you a lier.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by makaveli16(m): 3:45am On Feb 09, 2015
That's the kind of system that we have built overtime in Nigeria. Placing more focus on results, and less focus on the process that lead to the results. That's why the average Nigerian graduate (yours truly included) cannot extend his knowledge and range of reasoning beyond the 2 + 2 = 4 level. My current professor/advisor keeps telling me that as a doctoral candidate, I need to start asking why things happen, and that knowing how things happen is never enough.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by wunmi590(m): 3:58am On Feb 09, 2015
Thanks mod. For moving this thread to FP for proper contribution. The third for this month and the fourth in this year.

Long live me and my generation
Long live Seun Osewa
Long live the moderators
Long live Nairaland
Long live Nairalanders
Long live The Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Respect01(m): 5:28am On Feb 09, 2015
Nigerian lecturers are "education soldiers", they only hear go. come is not in thire dictionary.....they hardly make research. u see most of them going to lecture hall without a note, forming guru.....the course has become thire daily, weekly,monthly and yearly routine. so they have crammed everything, since no research If u go outside what they give u....Lolz u ar out of the game.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Aida13: 5:32am On Feb 09, 2015
wunmi590:

Just give them what they ask for because the moment you start showing initiative, they won't even know what the hell you're talking about because they sef, crammed their way through their education. Cram me I cram you. Just study for your own personal upliftment, while giving them what they want on paper. They are just termite brain as my mom will say.... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 09, 2015
wunmi590:

Why do people think all story posted on NL are false story, why would I come here and lie? What is my gain, despite the fact that they call it faceless forum I still put my picture to clear away doubt.

I don't want to name the school in other not to tarnish the image of the school and the lecturer, what is my gain in spoiling people's name.

I posted this here just to know if such has ever happened to them before.

who talk say na false story you posted,abeg make we hear word because you post one stupid topic you dy rant
Re: Why Do Nigerian Lecturers Tells Studnts To Cram Their Course Befre They Can Pass by Lepetitechic(f): 6:28am On Feb 09, 2015
Because they too crammed to pass, it's the circle of life grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ANSU COOU 2016/2017 Post Utme Screening Form Is Officially Out / Facts&photos: A Trip Back To World War I And II / 65 Bowen University Students Graduate With First Class Out Of 868

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.