Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State (93956 Views)

The Origin Of Urhobo People / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by tonychristopher: 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2015
martineverest:
Somehow........ishan language is quite different from benin about 40% similar....though,isoko language is 80% similar to urhobo ...just as urhobo is 60% of combination of benin,ishan and afemai languages of edo

but are you tryng to tell me that urhobo wont understand isoko if they speak or wont ishan understand benin if they speak.

i want to know

will an urhob or isok man need an interpreter when they meet

same with benin or ishan

i know that in igbo even if you are cross rver, akwa ibom, edo igbo or anambra igbo, you wont need an interpreter to communicate with each other, there might be a bit difficulties but you will understand

so pls brother explain this for me, i want tyo know why the fragmentation of clans there in name of tribe

TO ME ISOKO AND URHOBO SHOULD JUST BE SOBO TRIBE. I DONT SEE MUCH DIFFERENCE

WHAT DO YOU THINK
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by isan(m): 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
martineverest:
Isoko and urhobo are closer and related dan ishan and benin.
can u allow a visitor to call your land a no man's land? undecided
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by erico2k2(m): 6:13pm On Feb 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

but are you tryng to tell me that urhobo wont understand isoko if they speak or wont ishan understand benin if they speak.

i want to know

same with benin or ishan

i know that in igbo even if you are cross rver, akwa ibom, edo igbo or anambra igbo, you wont need an interpreter to communicate with each other, there might be a bit difficulties but you will understand

so pls brother explain this for me, i want tyo know why the fragmentation of clans there in name of tribe

WHAT DO YOU THINK
if U check its always the non urhobos who always say Isokos are not Urhobo.its like saying Okpes are not Urhobos or Ijevwe are nkt urhobos When we all Bear same names.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by martineverest(m): 6:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
Read my comment and u ll get what i meant....urho and isoko re 80% similar and dont need an intertreper......ishan and benin need to some xtent....am ishan and i schooled in uniben....i only understand little benin and urobo when my frends speak..tho,benin is a bit closer to ishan.but urobo has more direct ishan element in it.
tonychristopher:

i want to know

same with benin or ishan

WHAT DO YOU THINK
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by odizeey(m): 7:31pm On Feb 09, 2015
martineverest:
Dont blame u and ur tribe...u dont tell me what i know.u know d truth.....to hell with u
don't beef us. u know what? you hate us cos you ain't us
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by martineverest(m): 7:51pm On Feb 09, 2015
No bro,no hating...am edo,y would i hate my brodas...one luv
odizeey:
don't beef us. u know what? you hate us cos you ain't us
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by 2SWT(f): 5:58am On Feb 10, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
Their females are unladylike and crude.
who said so?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by smallpeepee: 8:04am On Feb 10, 2015
KissQ com n see oo

Jessiecah, mavo
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by tonychristopher: 11:40am On Feb 10, 2015
Thanks for the clarification, i think isoko and urhobo are basically same...they are creating difference due to politics
erico2k2:

if U check its always the non urhobos who always say Isokos are not Urhobo.its like saying Okpes are not Urhobos or Ijevwe are nkt urhobos When we all Bear same names.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by jessiecah(f): 1:07pm On Feb 10, 2015
smallpeepee:
KissQ com n see oo

Jessiecah, mavo

Ai'ror
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 1:12pm On Feb 10, 2015
Odisco2:

Oyoma. me guono we vughe
dia wor guono vughe evu ro ma me
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 1:14pm On Feb 10, 2015
tonychristopher:

i want to know

same with benin or ishan

WHAT DO YOU THINK
there are lots of diffefence btween
Urhobo and isoko
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by erico2k2(m): 1:27pm On Feb 10, 2015
Evestar200:
Urhobo and isoko
whats the difference, B4 we go further what part of urhobo do you come from?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by macof(m): 1:41pm On Feb 10, 2015
Sophyrocks:

And that is what annoys me about your people. You guys dnt sit down to learn the different tribes of 9ja. Anyone who isnt hausa or yoruba to you, you call the person igbo. Abeg learn from this thread o. Address people by their appropraite tribes.

This only applies for ignorant people living in a bush it's nt a General thing

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by macof(m): 1:57pm On Feb 10, 2015
angelo82:
You didn't say the most important thing.....Where are they from?They must originate from somewhere......

Bini during the Ogiso dynasty era
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by macof(m): 2:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
tonychristopher:

i want to know

same with benin or ishan

WHAT DO YOU THINK

Exactly, The similarities and cultural assimilation between Isoko and Urhobo are too high for them to be considered different ethnic groups..Infact both groups are distant members of Edo ethnicity
It's jst Nigerian politics messing with Southern Nigerians
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by tonychristopher: 2:41pm On Feb 10, 2015
what are the differences....pls tell us
Evestar200:
Urhobo and isoko
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by maxiipriestt: 3:01pm On Feb 10, 2015
literarymathy, you have your story all stolen from my people the itsekiri. i'm itsekiri from koko and firstly, warri is not indigenously your town. the name "warri" is a corrupted form of a word in itsekiri "IWERE", meaning it's the way it is, translated literarily. you called other towns like sapele and a couple others and claim them for the urhobos, but incidentally, history tells us that sapele is an itsekiri town which was a hub for economic activity with the early itsekiri traders who traded with the west and who employed urhobo workers as slaves. and sapele was given up as a bargaining chip by Nanna Olomu to make peace with a warlord because of a breach in terms of agreement for a certain battle price. the soup which you made mention of "owo" is an itsekiri soup and owo is actually a borrowed word from us mister... i can pick out a myriad of false claims which i won't acquiesce to. warri is the ancestral home of the itsekiri people and we only conceded territory to your people because you have a healthy population there due to your high rate of proliferation, and your persistent clamouring for a stake in the city. well, i can understand where you are coming from because the urhobos and ijaw people have been slaves to us for too long and are out against us trying to carry out a vendetta, but it's not really the answer to anything. and you didn't mention the native attire which i saw in your pictures showing you wearing our "kemeje", would you say that that is indigenously yours too? and to stake more leverage on what i've said so far, we are a singular tribe without mixed dialects, probably the only tribe in nigeria which speak a singular dialect and who have just one singular king and not multiple kings. we have chiefs who report to our king, the Olu of Warri. so there are a lot of flaws and false claims about your heritage which i vehemently dispute. also, we have had a long running history with the benin people and our monarchs are intertwined with each other and we've both been the main custodians of the southern region of nigeria from the days when our history was been written. it's really not fair making erroneous remarks and statements because people who don't know the truth would be misled and made to think that this you've put up there is the case, whereas it's not. so please kindly do yourself a favour and get to know your history and people and don't get it mixed up.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by tonychristopher: 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
maxiipriestt:
literarymathy, you have your story all stolen from my people the itsekiri. i'm itsekiri from koko and firstly, warri is not indigenously your town. the name "warri" is a corrupted form of a word in itsekiri "IWERE", meaning it's the way it is, translated literarily. you called other towns like sapele and a couple others and claim them for the urhobos, but incidentally, history tells us that sapele is an itsekiri town which was a hub for economic activity with the early itsekiri traders who traded with the west and who employed urhobo workers as slaves. and sapele was given up as a bargaining chip by Nanna Olomu to make peace with a warlord because of a breach in terms of agreement for a certain battle price. the soup which you made mention of "owo" is an itsekiri soup and owo is actually a borrowed word from us mister... i can pick out a myriad of false claims which i won't acquiesce to. warri is the ancestral home of the itsekiri people and we only conceded territory to your people because you have a healthy population there due to your high rate of proliferation, and your persistent clamouring for a stake in the city. well, i can understand where you are coming from because the urhobos and ijaw people have been slaves to us for too long and are out against us trying to carry out a vendetta, but it's not really the answer to anything. and you didn't mention the native attire which i saw in your pictures showing you wearing our "kemeje", would you say that that is indigenously yours too? and to stake more leverage on what i've said so far, we are a singular tribe without mixed dialects, probably the only tribe in nigeria which speak a singular dialect and who have just one singular king and not multiple kings. we have chiefs who report to our king, the Olu of Warri. so there are a lot of flaws and false claims about your heritage which i vehemently dispute. also, we have had a long running history with the benin people and our monarchs are intertwined with each other and we've both been the main custodians of the southern region of nigeria from the days when our history was been written. it's really not fair making erroneous remarks and statements because people who don't know the truth would be misled and made to think that this you've put up there is the case, whereas it's not. so please kindly do yourself a favour and get to know your history and people and don't get it mixed up.

BUT ITSHEKIRI ARE MIGRANTS FROM MY EXPERIENCE IN WARRI, AND IF ITSHEKIRI OWNS WARRI WHY IS THE LINGUA FRANCA IN WARRI URHOBO. I DOUBT THE SLAVE THING

DID ITSHEKIRI WIN URHOBO IN ANY WAR AND WERE THEY COLONISED

PLS CLARIFY

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 10, 2015
maxiipriestt:

I won't acquiesce to your ethnic bigotry and racism. I won't even waste my intellectual prowess arguing with you on what is true or not. Our readers have books and the Internet at their disposal to find the truth. You are just a true representation of a typical Itsekiri man. As for the Warri and Sapele issue, it has caused wars, invectives and hatred over the decades, I refuse to be a part of it. Delta State belongs to all of us. There's no competition. Thank you for your insults to my person and my tribe. I refuse to answer as would any urhobo man. That is why we will always be a step ahead in the face of God.

3 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by erico2k2(m): 7:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
maxiipriestt:
My friend go and sit down,stop writting rubish, what do you mean the Urhobos where Slaves to you,you need to know your History, site any page in history that support all of your claims.This talk was what brought the Crisis in warri and you lot ran to sapele.U don start rubish talk here.Name the teritory in warri you own today

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by erico2k2(m): 7:39pm On Feb 10, 2015
literarymathy:

I won't acquiesce to your ethnic bigotry and racism. I won't even waste my intellectual prowess arguing with you on what is true or not. Our readers have books and the Internet at their disposal to find the truth. You are just a true representation of a typical Itsekiri man. As for the Warri and Sapele issue, it has caused wars, invectives and hatred over the decades, I refuse to be a part of it. Delta State belongs to all of us. There's no competition. Thank you for your insults to my person and my tribe. I refuse to answer as would any urhobo man. That is why we will always be a step ahead in the face of God.
My guy ignor this guy,he has no clue, this is how the wanted to try the Oghara people at Ajgbodudu, we all know what happened.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Odisco2(m): 8:13pm On Feb 10, 2015
Evestar200:
dia wor guono vughe evu ro ma me
Urhobo wena muoto mamor. ekwakwa roma wenijobi
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by macof(m): 12:45am On Feb 11, 2015
maxiipriestt:

All these talk about slaves...where's the record?
And every tribe speaks one dialect, that's what makes them a tribe.
So it's nt peculiar to Itsekiri

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by GooseBaba: 3:20am On Feb 11, 2015
macof:

All these talk about slaves...where's the record?
And every tribe speaks one dialect, that's what makes them a tribe.
So it's nt peculiar to Itsekiri

Me sef begin wonder how slavery take enter Urhobo migration/history.. Wahala dey ooo... cheesy
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by jared007: 8:43am On Feb 11, 2015
By april 2015 racist itsekiris will be forced to either choose the "devil"(tompolo-ijaw led government) or the "deep blue sea"(ogboru-urhobo led government). Lets see who they will vote.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by MDelgado(m): 12:22pm On Feb 11, 2015
Spydamannn:
I tell you,thunder go fire him father

Spydey,How far??No be so oo..
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 3:59pm On Feb 11, 2015
erico2k2:

whats the difference, B4 we go further what part of urhobo do you come from?
Olomu clan
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 4:09pm On Feb 11, 2015
tonychristopher:
what are the differences....pls tell us
Languages difference
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Spydamannn(m): 4:25pm On Feb 11, 2015
MDelgado:

Spydey,How far??No be so oo..
na so the thing go o
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by tonychristopher: 4:32pm On Feb 11, 2015
Evestar200:
Languages difference
how pls explain
Re: Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 5:20pm On Feb 11, 2015
tonychristopher:

how pls explain
the isoko language is 60% different from the. Urhobo languag, their is deeper while the Urhobo is lighter

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List / Misuzulu KaZwelithini: New Zulu King Had To Kill This Lion To Become Monarch / Photos From An Unclad Annual Virgin Dance That Holds In Abiriba Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.