Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Writers' Checkmate - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers' Checkmate (20799 Views)

Main Story Thread For Checkmate Competition- Group 2! / Checkmate Competition- Group 2 Collaboration Thread / Checkmate Competition- Group 1 Collaboration Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 6:45am On Feb 14, 2015
TOLUENE1 - 4 (your grammer and sentence construction was very bad, a few tautology and errors in puntuation)

Evangelio - 6 [ grammer and some part; sentence constrution with a little puntuation problem ].

Thronekid -8

Divepen- 7

Kusibe77 - [ sentence construction at some point, typing error. ]

kizzykeziah - 8 [ great]

theorbiters - 9 [ awesome ]
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 7:23am On Feb 14, 2015
Great riter of NL i am part of d pple nominater dix month...pls kindly vote 4 me thru dix link https://www.nairaland.com/1804027/free-n5000-writer-here-every/49#30663858
Re: Writers' Checkmate by tattesco(m): 10:23am On Feb 14, 2015
I will be active as from 2day o
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 14, 2015
Kusibe77= 7+7=14/2=7
Divepen= 8+7+7=22/3=7.3=7
Thronekid=7+6+8=21/3=7
Theorbiters=5+6+9=20/3=6.6=7
Kizzykeziah= 5+7=12/2=6
Cybershow= 5 for rating
Evangelio=6 for rating+6=12
Toluene1=8+4=12/2=6
Stuff46= 6 for rating+ 3 for explanation=9

GROUP 1
97+12 (evang)+7(Divey)+7 (kusib)+ 5 (Cyber)+9 (stuffy)=137

GROUP 2

43 +6 (KIZZY)+ 7 (Throne)+ 7 (orbiter) +6 (tolu)=69
Re: Writers' Checkmate by VigorousV(f): 4:11pm On Feb 14, 2015
hi guys.....not a writer but i love reading stories..love what u guys are doing..........keep up d good work cheesy smiley

1 Like

Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 14, 2015
Please, I have 25 questions but I do not know which one to choose from first...
So, choose any number from 1-25

And I will post the q

Thanks Vigorousv

b 06
Grouping
Group A
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
tattesco
susrite
Evangelio
Group2
Theorbiter
kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Iosprince
princesssusan
Akposb
Re: Writers' Checkmate by pres01: 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2015
I want to join
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Champion001: 5:45pm On Feb 14, 2015
Can I still join?
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Champion001: 6:06pm On Feb 14, 2015
pres01:
I want to join
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 14, 2015
Divepen:
Please, I have 25 questions but I do not know which one to choose from first...
So, choose any number from 1-25

And I will post the q

Thanks Vigorousv

b 06
Grouping
Group A
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
tattesco
susrite
Evangelio
Group2
Theorbiter
kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Iosprince
princesssusan
Akposb
No. 14
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 6:28pm On Feb 14, 2015
Divepen No. 3
Re: Writers' Checkmate by kizzykeziah: 6:51pm On Feb 14, 2015
I'd go with No 9.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 6:54pm On Feb 14, 2015
Where are the questions??
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 14, 2015
Thronekid got it first
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 14, 2015
The Secrets of Sensational Stories Everybody loves a good story. But it’s just as true that everybody hates a bad one. There’s a lot on the line when you write fiction. Readers have high expectations. Many have been reading great stories by the world’s best writers since they were old enough to hold a book in their hands and turn the pages. Personally, I find this quite intimidating. I make no secret of the fact that I am afraid of writing fiction. But that doesn’t mean I won’t give it a try. Especially if I have a little help. A few years ago, I learned that if I want to write a good story, I need to know the Five Facts of Fiction: •Fact #1: Fiction is all about character. The best stories are built around rich, complex, extremely interesting characters. •Fact #2: Fiction is all about what your character wants. Your character wants one thing more than anything else in the world and that one thing drives everything your character does. •Fact #3: Fiction is all about how your character gets or does not get what he or she wants. Some characters get what they want, others fail. This is how you develop the plot of your story. •Fact #4: Fiction is all about how your character changes. After everything that happens, your character is forever changed. This is what makes your story meaningful. •Fact #5: Fiction is all about a world that you create. You choose the people, places, things, and ideas in your story. Your choices influence the meaning of the story and your readers’ level of interest. Fiction is the hardest kind of writing to do well. It challenges even the most competent professionals. But with the right tools, even fearful fiction writers like me can give it a good shot

Next Work
In word not as much as 500 words
Write a story using this five facts

DEADLINE: 8:30PM on Monday
TAG
Group A
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow
Kusibe77
Stuff46
tattesco
susrite
Evangelio

Theorbiter
kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Iosprince
princesssusan
Akposb
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 14, 2015
Champion001:
Can I still join?
Yes group 2
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 14, 2015
pres01:
I want to join

Welcome group 1
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 14, 2015
Divepen:
Thronekid got it first
Yet to see it oh!
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Evangelio(m): 9:14pm On Feb 14, 2015
Got it boss.

I want to suggest that any1 who wants to rate d stories should rate every story submitted, or the incomplete ratings should not be counted.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 8:36am On Feb 15, 2015
Lykwys me,got it boss
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 15, 2015
Evangelio:
Got it boss.

I want to suggest that any1 who wants to rate d stories should rate every story submitted, or the incomplete ratings should not be counted.

Oga...No na..
people might not have time to rate all
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 16, 2015
The day's brightness could not be as bright as Stanley's happiness as he walk down to his office because he had presented his great idea to the M.D, who embraced it happily.
Stanley turned to the secretary and gave her a bright smile which left her mouth being a gap because Stanley had never even bothered to give her a look ever since he started work in that office.
The moment Stanley got into his office, he smiled at the picture of his beautiful wife sitting on the table. Now, he would get his so-much-desired promotion because and increase in salary.
Happiness still radiating in his eyes, Stanley picked up his phone and called his beloved wife.
' Hello... Shade, he love it. The M.D will be presenting to the board of directors tomorrow'.
' Whoa... This call for celebration'.
' That right! And I won't waste time wit you, the brain behind the big idea'.
' Hmm.. I'm blushing... Don't stay long at the office', Shade replied.
' I love you', he blew a kiss into the air.
' I love you too'.
In the evening, he and his wife celebrated it with wine, kisses, handling and ...
Two days later, Stanley sat agitatedly as he expected the letter or call that will inform of his promotion; however, it did not come; instead, he heard rumours that the M.D gave the idea as his own and asked for a greater share in profit of which the Board of Directors agreed to.
Stanley felt bad and bittered about this, so he went to the M.D's office.
' Good morning sir', he greeted.
' Oh...Good morning Stanley'.
' I want to know why...'
' Ah...I've not given you the letter the Board asked me to give you'.
Stanley heart flipped in joy that he got his promotion at last. He opened the letter and read it. Read it again. Checked the person the letter was addressed to, to confirm if he was seeing well.
' But.. Sir', he said, looked at the paper. His emotion torn between surprise and anger,' what I've I done to warrant being sack'.
' The company do not need your service anymore'.
Stanley pleaded and begged but the M.D said there was nothing he was capable of doing. So, Stanley left the company a sad man, and promised never to divulge his plans to leader.
Later, because the idea was not the M.D's he missed some salient points which Stanley had not put in the file he gave him and this brought the company to bankrupt.
Meanwhile, Stanley had started another work and because the brain was his, his business was blossoming; in fact, he no longer crave for the promotion because people are now craving to be employed as a staff in his new company.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 10:10pm On Feb 16, 2015
*Breathin heavily, sweating profusely* ah jst back frm jamb lesin...pls pardon me group...divepen=9 cux e mak use of d 5fact o...*tryin 2 calm down* pardon me group1
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 8:10am On Feb 17, 2015
Cybershow:
*Breathin heavily, sweating profusely* ah jst back frm jamb lesin...pls pardon me group...divepen=9 cux e mak use of d 5fact o...*tryin 2 calm down* pardon me group1

we are repeating this work, dead line tomorrow 8:30pm. As directed by divepen
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 1:25pm On Feb 17, 2015
The Secrets of Sensational Stories
Everybody loves a good story. But it’s just as true that everybody hates a bad
one. There’s a lot on the line when youwrite fiction. Readers have highexpectations. Many have been reading great stories by the world’s best writers since they were old enough to hold a book in their hands and turn
the pages. Personally, I find this quite intimidating. I make no secret of the fact that I am afraid of writing fiction. But that doesn’t mean I won’t give it a try. Especially if I have a little help. A
few years ago, I learned that if I want to write a good story, I need to know the Five Facts of Fiction:
•Fact #1: Fiction is all about character. The best stories are built around rich, complex,
extremely interesting characters. •Fact #2: Fiction is all about what your character wants. Your character wants one thing more than anything else in the world and that one thing drives everything your character does. •Fact #3: Fiction is all about how your character gets or does not get what he or she wants. Some characters get what they want, others fail. This is how you develop the plot of your story. •Fact #4: Fiction is all about how your character changes. After everything that happens, your character is forever changed. This is what makes your story meaningful.
•Fact #5: Fiction is all about a world that you create. You choose the people, places, things, and ideas in your story. Your choices influence the meaning of the story and
your readers’ level of interest. Fiction is the hardest kind of writing to do well.
It challenges even the most competent professionals. But with the right tools, even fearful fiction writers like me can
give it a good shot

Next Work
In word not as much as 500 words.

Write a story using this five facts DEADLINE: 8:30PM on Monday wednesday

TAG
Group A
Divepen
Slap1
Cybershow Kusibe77
Stuff46
tattesco
susrite
Evangelio
Theorbiter kizzykeziah
Chinweblinkz
Thronekid
Iosprince
princesssusan
Akposb
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Cybershow(m): 2:40pm On Feb 17, 2015
stuff46:

we are repeating this work, dead line tomorrow 8:30pm. As directed by divepen
alrit sir
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 18, 2015
Hi broh, add me to the w]hatsapp group. Here z my number : 08179202689 !
Jah bless!
Cc: Divepen
Re: Writers' Checkmate by stuff46(m): 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2015
"Oga, the result is out and you did't win today" was all the cashier said and handed peter the slip.

Moving some distance backward, staring blankly at the man in front of him.
"Thank you" he muttered with an inaudible voice and walked away dejected.

It had been of him to always drop-by at this building to check for his settings. Today has been a bad day for him, he had lost a lot of money and now he is at the cause of loosing his car to a friend whom he had assured that he would pay when he wins his game this week. He had always known about the implications of the game before he started playing it years back, never fathomed that it would be bad as this. He had lost half a million, money of which he had collected half and quater of it from a friend.

Silently hee prayed that Mathew would not be at the bar to see him walking but his prayer i guess today God has a pile of unanswered prayer awaiting him.

"this one you are dodging our table today hope you are not trying to run away today like you always do when you loose?" the devil spoke up.

Silently I moved towards the table and handed him key to my Toyota, joined them in the table and ordered for more drink even if knew I had no enough cash to drink to my satisfaction.

Sipping my first shot, I was down in thought as at what would be the story I would give to my wife, others about the whereabouts of my car. It wa knew that I was a drunk and a gambler. I have lost alot today and my concience but hunt me even when I wanted to drink. Drunk I would get and be free for the time being.

Still could't think straight and get the loss off my mind for about an hour of drinking and meditating. Mattew, John noticed my silence but when they tried asking I waved it off as job stress. It had been a routine not to back jest of us that lost so they stayed at pace with my thoughts and kept on drinking.

Minutes more drinking I sensed I could not take it the situation as tho nothing is up, I made my way out of the joint.

Hours later I heard sound on my door only to find them at the door handing me my car key and making me vow to pay the debts I own at the end of the month.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2015
Divepen:

Oga...No na..
people might not have time to rate all
i want to join, how come i didn't see this since?. Divepen Abeg add me.
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 18, 2015
Bluestarry:
i want to join, how come i didn't see this since?. Divepen Abeg add me.
Welcome, Group 1
Re: Writers' Checkmate by Kusibe77(m): 8:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
Group 1
kusibe77.

Debo Man O war's gift.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

'Eh so be!! Eh so bey!!! Eh so bey!!!
The commander kept saying.

Debo continued to march in rhythm with the beats been drummed by the bands. He added vigour to his steps which makes him sweat profusely.

Today which was the Man O War recruitment programme. It was been witnessed by the hotness of the sun and the huge crowd of onlookers. Among the crowd was the girl he cherished so much because of her he was tagged 'loverboy' in secondary school.

When he was in SSS3, he sneaked out of school to buy snacks for the girl he loved. But regretted it when he was caught outside the class. He was flogged and the students named him lover boy. When he met his crush at the gate during closing hours salt was added to injury.

'Shey nah because of me you skipped class. Your mumu get level' she had said pointing to her head to mock him. He could only watched in perspiration.

'eh so bey! Eh so bey!!'
after matching for some more minutes. They started other activities. He was angered by her presence. She made him me went through lot of things,poured him dirty water when he went to her house 4 years back.He continued climbing ropes and she was still watching.

Finally, when the programme ended she was still there watching. She walked to him smiling.

'You just ignore me all this year' she said smiling.

Who is ignoring the other. For four years he ignored a light complexioned, 6 feet 5 inches tall. What did you want.

'I don't have your contact thats why'

'well,how are you doing' she continued playing with the strand of her hair.

'am fine and you' he asked.

They continued chatting and she continued smiling to his joke. Though he joked he maintained his straight face, maybe because what she did four years back.

'you did not have my contact?' she asked and he nodded.

'you did not give me since all this year' he replied.

'your phone?' she asked stretching her hand forth.

He gently bring the object out and give it to her. She typed her digit.

'call me' she said handing the phone back to him.

That was when he smiled for the first time through out the conversation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie At The Women Of The World Festival In London 2018 / The Story Of A Wise Business Man / Role Of Arts In National Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.