Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

mODIFIED - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / mODIFIED (10448 Views)

modified / mODIFIED / mODIFIED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 10, 2015
luvinhubby:

Buhari was THE coupist himself, he just enlisted others like Joshua Dogonyaro, Abacha, IBB to achieve his aim.
Buhari was also actively involved the Gowon coup. He us a serial coupist.
Stop trying to re-write history
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
First, that we have a corrupt system does not mean we should continue with the corrupt system. We have the EFCC Act, ICPC Act and also the Anti Fraud Unit of the Police called the Special Fraud Unit which operate with the Criminal and other codes with respect to corruption. All these institutions and laws makes it very easy to fight the scourge of corruption to a standstill. Contrary to your claims, Nigeria's Democracy though ideally supposed to be party run but in practice it is individual based. Everyone must fall in line with the sentiment of the President/C-in-C or face the law. The President does not need the parliament to prosecute even the Senate President, there are existing laws. Immunity only covers President, his vice, Govs and their Deputies. No Senator or rep enjoys it, not even the Senate President. Going back history, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as EFCC Chairman arrested then Senate President Aldolphus Wabara and 5 other Senators along with Minister of Education Prof Fabian Osuji for bribery scandal. The DSS also arrested Sen Ali Ndume on Anti-corruption allegation. We have the laws, all we need is the political will to faithfully execute these laws. If doesn't matter whether APC or PDP or APGa! If a Governor is corrupt, the anti-corruption body only need to petition the State House to get them impeach the Governor and try him. This is what is ideal in a democracy. We have the laws already, all we need to implementation..

My point is that Buhari fighting corruption as a military head of state and Buhari fight corruption as a democratically elected president are different issue. I made a reference to the usual comments of most Nigeria even those in APC "Jonathan is good, he has good intention but has bad advisers"... In seeing a situation where we will be saying " Buhari is not corrupt but people around him are not helping him"

The issue of corruption for me goes beyond the person and character of the president but those who are saddle with the responsibility of checkmating the executive and making the system stronger in this case, i'm referring to the Judiciary and legislators. You made mention of Fabian Osuji, Wabara.. you can also add Adike Grange and Bode George to the list.. the question is, how many of them are in jail as at now? How many of them are freed by the same court because of technical issues like that of Bode George? How many ex-governors were arrested by the EFCC only to use the judiciary to seek for perpetual injunctions and the likes? Would you support a government who will not obey court injunctions?

I will cite the case of FFK as an example. When he was a member of the APC, El-Rufai describe the re-arraignment of FFK as politically motivated, as soon FFK decamped to the PDP, the same El-Rufai is calling him corrupt. Where do we draw the line? Do Buhari have the will to prosecute his benefactors?

As long we have the same constitution and judicial system in this country, no matter who becomes the president, the fight against corruption will always be frustrated, These politicians have mastered the act and with a good lawyer, they can always get away with murder. We need a system that will for example, establish special courts for trying corrupt officials, shifting the burden of proof from the accuser to the accused and these can only be done by change of constitution. Buhari alone cannot change the constitution no matter how good his intentions are. It is the same crooked politicians, who are now saints because they changed party will preside over such.

The fight against corruption cannot be individual based, it must be system / party based and from what I'm seeing, APC legislators are not so different from PDP legislators neither are the party chieftains different. My finals point, like I said before, should something happen to Buhari (and I pray against it) that he cannot continue his function as president, does that mean we should go back to ground zero? Putting the fight against corruption solely on the integrity of one man is a very big error of judgement.

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
No economy can be built when there is institutionalised corruption. This is a fact! Hence, I don't see any progress in what Jonathan is doing even if we give him 35years. As for Fashola and FOI, the Court ruled that FOI applies to every level of government and it doesn't need to be domesticated in states. Though Fashola government have no reason not to honor it, I see no reason for using it as an excuse for Jonathan or an indictment for Buhari. Buhari and not Fashola is running for President.

Point of Note: Nigeria cannot practice a party controlled government overnight because we have no "real" party. The legislators are birds of a feather, the changing of party by some ppl driven out of anger and bitterness and not based on ideology. Hence, we will continue a President controlled government until we get real parties. The election remains between GMB and GEJ, and not APC and PDP

I asked a few questions there which was, during Buhari 20 months rule (though short) what were his effort in diversifying the economy of Nigeria from solely oil dependent economy? During Buhari regime, agriculture contributed less to the GDP than the previous year and the food import bill went higher.

Recently, when Buhari was asked about the economy of the country, how he will rescue it, his focus was stabilizing the oil price. I think that APC have had enough time with very good brains to be able to present for Nigerians a 10 year action plan of economy diversification. You can check out UK Labour party's 10 year plan for the NHS. They are not in power yet, but they already have a plan for the next 10 years.

I don't subscribe to the notion of "when we get there, we will know what to do". So far, all we have heard or read are just short term plan of 4 years which is individual based. By tomorrow, if that individual is gone, another person will come with a different idea and we will keep going round and round. If have a party based ideology and not individual, anybody from the party can continue with the party's long term plan with little twist but the bottom-line will always be the same.

I used Fashola as example because I believe that if you are shouting change at the centre, at least, show us the change with the little power you are given and I gave example with Malaysian opposition party and public assets declaration.

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 10, 2015
Bro, forget story! I made mention of Political will. You are repeating the same thing, no legislator can or will or can ever interfere in corruption prosecution or any criminal prosecution. Their job is to make laws or strenghten existing laws, the executive worry about implementation. The so-called Judiciary can only make judgement based on evidence by the prosecuting and Defense teams. There is NO way that a judge will rule based on emotion or sentiment wjen evidence is strong. No way! That Bode George etal are free is due to the corrupt President and his prosecution. In the case of FFK, the EFCC failed to produce ANY witness against him, and he was freed. That is because Jonathan want him freed! An incorruptible Buhari won't tolerate that. I don't care what one elrufai says, I'm more of Buhari as President and let him preside over his government. I'm not voting el rufai. Lastly, there is no party in Nigeria, all the parties fall to the whimps of their leaders, hence, govt is individual and not party based in Nigeria.
Mykevp2p:

My point is that Buhari fighting corruption as a military head of state and Buhari fight corruption as a democratically elected president are different issue. I made a reference to the usual comments of most Nigeria even those in APC "Jonathan is good, he has good intention but has bad advisers"... In seeing a situation where we will be saying " Buhari is not corrupt but people around him are not helping him"

The issue of corruption for me goes beyond the person and character of the president but those who are saddle with the responsibility of checkmating the executive and making the system stronger in this case, i'm referring to the Judiciary and legislators. You made mention of Fabian Osuji, Wabara.. you can also add Adike Grange and Bode George to the list.. the question is, how many of them are in jail as at now? How many of them are freed by the same court because of technical issues like that of Bode George? How many ex-governors were arrested by the EFCC only to use the judiciary to seek for perpetual injunctions and the likes? Would you support a government who will not obey court injunctions?

I will cite the case of FFK as an example. When he was a member of the APC, El-Rufai describe the re-arraignment of FFK as politically motivated, as soon FFK decamped to the PDP, the same El-Rufai is calling him corrupt. Where do we draw the line? Do Buhari have the will to prosecute his benefactors?

As long we have the same constitution and judicial system in this country, no matter who becomes the president, the fight against corruption will always be frustrated, These politicians have mastered the act and with a good lawyer, they can always get away with murder. We need a system that will for example, establish special courts for trying corrupt officials, shifting the burden of proof from the accuser to the accused and these can only be done by change of constitution. Buhari alone cannot change the constitution no matter how good his intentions are. It is the same crooked politicians, who are now saints because they changed party will preside over such.

The fight against corruption cannot be individual based, it must be system / party based and from what I'm seeing, APC legislators are not so different from PDP legislators neither are the party chieftains different. My finals point, like I said before, should something happen to Buhari (and I pray against it) that he cannot continue his function as president, does that mean we should go back to ground zero? Putting the fight against corruption solely on the integrity of one man is a very big error of judgement.
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 10, 2015
We have no party in Nigeria. Buhari came to power majorly to stabilise the system already destroyed by Shagari and not to rule for a very long time. His coming to power was on emergency, not that he prepared for it. Hence, his major pre-occupation was to put the country in the right track before conducting an election. Whether he run or not isn't the issue. This is what every military Junta does eg Sisi of Egypt. You can't expect a junta to tell you about his long term economic plan when he wasn't elected to serve any term.
Nigeria has so many brilliant economic plans, so many. Even GEJ has his, Obj too and Yaradua had theirs. We had the SEED, NEED and LEED, Vision 20:20, Vision 2015 (of Obj), Vision 20:20-20, 2050 Agenda, Transformation Agenda, 7 Point Agenda, NEPAD(proposed by obasanjo), NAPEP, so so many of them. But what is lacking is sincerity to implement these plans. The government of Buhari can work with his party's blueprint reconsider the plans of his predecessors. All your other talks I have addressed them. I am not voting for Fashola but BUHARI.
Mykevp2p:

I asked a few questions there which was, during Buhari 20 months rule (though short) what were his effort in diversifying the economy of Nigeria from solely oil dependent economy? During Buhari regime, agriculture contributed less to the GDP than the previous year and the food import bill went higher.

Recently, when Buhari was asked about the economy of the country, how he will rescue it, his focus was stabilizing the oil price. I think that APC have had enough time with very good brains to be able to present for Nigerians a 10 year action plan of economy diversification. You can check out UK Labour party's 10 year plan for the NHS. They are not in power yet, but they already have a plan for the next 10 years.

I don't subscribe to the notion of "when we get there, we will know what to do". So far, all we have heard or read are just short term plan of 4 years which is individual based. By tomorrow, if that individual is gone, another person will come with a different idea and we will keep going round and round. If have a party based ideology and not individual, anybody from the party can continue with the party's long term plan with little twist but the bottom-line will always be the same.

I used Fashola as example because I believe that if you are shouting change at the centre, at least, show us the change with the little power you are given and I gave example with Malaysian opposition party and public assets declaration.
Re: mODIFIED by SweetyZinta(f): 11:34am On Feb 10, 2015
Barcanista, i don't know u bt my prayer 4u is may u live long so we can read more 4rm u. U are so enlighten, bold and smart. Each time i see ur post am eager 2read cos i know it will always make sense. Thank u so much!
Re: mODIFIED by tonte(m): 11:35am On Feb 10, 2015
but that was true anyway, he was actively involved in the coup that brought Gowon to power, I understand that you would intentionally not know about his role in that coup

barcanista:

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
Bro, forget story! I made mention of Political will. You are repeating the same thing, no legislator can or will or can ever interfere in corruption prosecution or any criminal prosecution. Their job is to make laws or strenghten existing laws, the executive worry about implementation. The so-called Judiciary can only make judgement based on evidence by the prosecuting and Defense teams. There is NO way that a judge will rule based on emotion or sentiment wjen evidence is strong. No way! That Bode George etal are free is due to the corrupt President and his prosecution. In the case of FFK, the EFCC failed to produce ANY witness against him, and he was freed. That is because Jonathan want him freed! An incorruptible Buhari won't tolerate that. I don't care what one elrufai says, I'm more of Buhari as President and let him preside over his government. I'm not voting el rufai. Lastly, there is no party in Nigeria, all the parties fall to the whimps of their leaders, hence, govt is individual and not party based in Nigeria.

It seems to me that you have little or no knowledge of APC manifesto. They acknowledge the fact that with the current constitution, it is near impossible to fight corruption. Here is what they propose

1: We shall establish special courts for corruption, after due and thorough review of the Penal Code

2: Placing the burden of proving innocence in corruption cases on person with inexplicable wealth

3: expanding the forfeiture and seizure of assets law with regards to people with inexplicable wealth, regardless of wether there is conviction for criminal conduct or not.

I don't know if you are aware, but Buhari in his capacity as a president cannot change these laws like he would have done using a decree in the military regime. There comes the federal and state legislators. No matter how good the intentions of Buhari is, he will need the corporation of the legislators and so far I have not seen the difference between the APC and PDP legislators that they will let such laws scale through.

3 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 10, 2015
SweetyZinta:
Barcanista, i don't know u bt my prayer 4u is may u live long so we can read more 4rm u. U are so enlighten, bold and smart. Each time i see ur post am eager 2read cos i know it will always make sense. Thank u so much!
Amen, God grant you long happy life too. Our prayers is good governance and a good leader. So many things are functioning abnormally. So many, we need a committed leader to put things back in line.
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
We have no party in Nigeria. Buhari came to power majorly to stabilise the system already destroyed by Shagari and not to rule for a very long time. His coming to power was on emergency, not that he prepared for it. Hence, his major pre-occupation was to put the country in the right track before conducting an election. Whether he run or not isn't the issue. This is what every military Junta does eg Sisi of Egypt. You can't expect a junta to tell you about his long term economic plan when he wasn't elected to serve any term.
Nigeria has so many brilliant economic plans, so many. Even GEJ has his, Obj too and Yaradua had theirs. We had the SEED, NEED and LEED, Vision 20:20, Vision 2015 (of Obj), Vision 20:20-20, 2050 Agenda, Transformation Agenda, 7 Point Agenda, NEPAD(proposed by obasanjo), NAPEP, so so many of them. But what is lacking is sincerity to implement these plans. The government of Buhari can work with his party's blueprint reconsider the plans of his predecessors. All your other talks I have addressed them. I am not voting for Fashola but BUHARI.

You missed the point.. all of these presidents, though from the same party had their seperate economic plans!! and that is the problem we are having in the country!. The economic plan should not be on individual, it should be continuous at least based on party ideology.

How many of the vision 20:20 plans of OBJ is being implemented now? How many of Yaradua's plan is working now? Even in companies, we have Vision and mission. OBJ privatized some companies, Yaradua revoked them, they are from the same party, what is the continuity? what is the future? Of all the little progress in the agriculture, cement and automobile industry, they are nothing if PDP does not have a plan to continue such irrespective of who become their presidential candidate tomorrow.

Yes, we have no party in Nigeria, and that is the problem we are having. I would have thought that APC, as a change agent, would address that not maintaining the status quo. We should move beyong individual ideology to party ideology. I voted GEJ not PDP easily come to mind

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 12:07pm On Feb 10, 2015
How does amending the penal code equate to changing the contitution? The Special Corruption tribunal is no different from the Special tribunal for industrial dispute otherwise known as the National Industrial Court. As a government, Buhari may decide to send an executive bill to the parliament to create this court to expedate trial of corruption cases rather than lump them in a High Court. This is a welcome development, the house will definitely attend to it. In the interim, prosecutors will be making use of the High Courts to prosecute corruption cases.

The number two is also in practice in our existing laws, Security Agencies have the right to question stupendious wealth and establish a case if explanation isn't satisfactory. However, the suspect may hide under the "innocent until proven otherwise" to make it difficult for prosecutors. That the APC want to amend that is a welcome development and can't be resisted by the house if tabled.

The third is already in force. What the APC wants to do is to strenthen it and make life more difficult for thieves. Hoever, we still have existing laws that any serious government can work with whether the aforementioned is passed or not.
Mykevp2p:

It seems to me that you have little or no knowledge of APC manifesto. They acknowledge the fact that with the current constitution, it is near impossible to fight corruption. Here is what they propose

1: We shall establish special courts for corruption, after due and thorough review of the Penal Code

2: Placing the burden of proving innocence in corruption cases on person with inexplicable wealth

3: expanding the forfeiture and seizure of assets law with regards to people with inexplicable wealth, regardless of wether there is conviction for criminal conduct or not.

I don't know if you are aware, but Buhari in his capacity as a president cannot change these laws like he would have done using a decree in the military regime. There comes the federal and state legislators. No matter how good the intentions of Buhari is, he will need the corporation of the legislators and so far I have not seen the difference between the APC and PDP legislators that they will let such laws scale through.
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 10, 2015
My brother, that APC or PDP lack ideology does not negate the attribute, zeal and sincerity of Buhari. If our laws allows for independent candidate, all these would have changed. In PDP today, I respect Ibrahim Shekarau, Nuhu Ribadu, Jimi Agbaje and few others for instance. These men are in PDP today because they needed a platform and not because they believe in PDP judging from their antecedents. Buhari is rolling with some extra-criminal elements because he needs a strong platform, not because he believes in some of them. All our political parties are just means to grab power, they are not really political parties. Should a Buhari assume Presidency, his task will be to reform our electoral sectors including his party and serve Nigerians. If the former is difficult for him, he could consider resigning his party membership and float a new one that suit the ideology he believes in. That will be the birth of a New Democracy in Nigeria. What we need at this time is leadership and every other will fall in line.
Mykevp2p:

You missed the point.. all of these presidents, though from the same party had their seperate economic plans!! and that is the problem we are having in the country!. The economic plan should not be on individual, it should be continuous at least based on party ideology.

How many of the vision 20:20 plans of OBJ is being implemented now? How many of Yaradua's plan is working now? Even in companies, we have Vision and mission. OBJ privatized some companies, Yaradua revoked them, they are from the same party, what is the continuity? what is the future? Of all the little progress in the agriculture, cement and automobile industry, they are nothing if PDP does not have a plan to continue such irrespective of who become their presidential candidate tomorrow.

Yes, we have no party in Nigeria, and that is the problem we are having. I would have thought that APC, as a change agent, would address that not maintaining the status quo. We should move beyong individual ideology to party ideology. I voted GEJ not PDP easily come to mind
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2015
He was a young officer then obeying orders. You can't count it against him.
tonte:
but that was true anyway, he was actively involved in the coup that brought Gowon to power, I understand that you would intentionally not know about his role in that coup

Re: mODIFIED by saint047(m): 12:51pm On Feb 10, 2015
grin grin grin

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
saint047:
grin grin grin
abeg stop to de troll angry
Re: mODIFIED by Chiaka(f): 12:58pm On Feb 10, 2015
CaptainAmerica1:
Nice write up! The end of corruption would be the beginning of Nigeria's progress

#IHaveDecided

Fighting corruption with corruption, with all those former corrupt DPD people filing behind Buhari, people who left politics not because
PDP is corrupt like they are crying now, these are men who left PDP for selfish reasons. Buhari as leader who forged certificate. Yes fighting corruption indeed. They want to grab power by all means, the likes of Ameachi. I beg Nigeria we are move forward and backward never. When we see a real change we'll know.

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by saint047(m): 1:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
abeg stop to de troll angry
oyo oh
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 10, 2015
Chiaka:

Fighting corruption with corruption, with all those former corrupt DPD people filing behind Buhari, people who left politics not because
PDP is corrupt like they are crying now, these are men who left PDP for selfish reasons. Buhari as leader who forged certificate. Yes fighting corruption indeed. They want to grab power by all means, the likes of Ameachi. I beg Nigeria we are move forward and backward never. When we see a real change we'll know.
Which certificate did Buhari forge?
Re: mODIFIED by CaptainAmerica1: 1:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
Chiaka:

And who says Buhari would be controlled? Read about him, he's a man of integrity.

You must be really unintelligent to believe Buhari forged his certificate and I can prove that.
Re: mODIFIED by luvinhubby(m): 1:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
Which part of history am i trying to re-write, that Buhari was not part of the coup that overthrew Gowon or that he was not a major player in the Shagari coup?

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by luvinhubby(m): 1:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
My brother, that APC or PDP lack ideology does not negate the attribute, zeal and sincerity of Buhari. If our laws allows for independent candidate, all these would have changed. In PDP today, I respect Ibrahim Shekarau, Nuhu Ribadu, Jimi Agbaje and few others for instance. These men are in PDP today because they needed a platform and not because they believe in PDP judging from their antecedents. Buhari is rolling with some extra-criminal elements because he needs a strong platform, not because he believes in some of them. All our political parties are just means to grab power, they are not really political parties. Should a Buhari assume Presidency, his task will be to reform our electoral sectors including his party and serve Nigerians. If the former is difficult for him, he could consider resigning his party membership and float a new one that suit the ideology he believes in. That will be the birth of a New Democracy in Nigeria. What we need at this time is leadership and every other will fall in line.
If this is true, then his govt will not be different from the platform that gave him the office.
Either way, Buhari & APC is no different from GEJ & PDP, they are both good men operating from faulty political platform.
Change is not the type being offered by APC & Buhari, it will move us backwards.

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 10, 2015
luvinhubby:

If this is true, then his govt will not be different from the platform that gave him the office.
Either way, Buhari & APC is no different from GEJ & PDP, they are both good men operating from faulty political platform.
Change is not the type being offered by APC & Buhari, it will move us backwards.
e be like you no sabi read.
Re: mODIFIED by tonte(m): 2:55pm On Feb 10, 2015
yes, he was a young officer, but it can't be taken away from history what he and other young officers roles were in whatever coups there were in Nigeria

barcanista:
He was a young officer then obeying orders. You can't count it against him.

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by chamboy(m): 2:38pm On Feb 16, 2015
chymystique:

Are you serious @ this u wrote?? You telling me that he intends biting the hands that fed him? If Buhari is a saint as u painting him to be here, how come he is associating with crooks and corrupt officials all in the name of power.. don't you think such a man can't be trusted to manage Nigeria? I know GEJ ain't good but GMB ain't electable and he is a pretender.. GMB's supporters should get into their skull that GMB CAN NEVER BE PRESIDENT of a united Nigeria!
Politics gives Room for the good, the bad and the ugly
Re: mODIFIED by chymystique(f): 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2015
chamboy:
Politics gives Room for the good, the bad and the ugly

Interesting but I really dont get your statement. Pls explain further.

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by ayukdaboss(m): 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2015
grin

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 17, 2015
Amazing how some people can sell their birthright for a pot of porridge

5 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by garrix8: 10:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
Ilugunboy is to blame. He is Barcanista' boss. He makes a lot of money at the wharf but pays barca peanuts. This forced him to beg for money from some Apc supporters who turned him down.

Smh...

5 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by egift(m): 6:40am On Feb 18, 2015
I just dey laugh. Sai Buhari. Change is here.

4 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 18, 2015
garrix8:
Ilugunboy is to blame. He is Barcanista' boss. He makes a lot of money at the wharf but pays barca peanuts. This forced him to beg for money from some Apc supporters who turned him down.

Smh...

Lolzzzz....I was away on official assignment to Ogun state the whole of yesterday and there was just no time for internet fun.

Why would you blame me? grin grin grin Everybody should be held responsible for his or her actions.

I think we are giving this issue highly undeserved attention. He has made it clear where his allegiance is....and he is entitled to do so.

I will implore you all to please stop discussing about this.

4 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by PassingShot(m): 10:00am On Feb 22, 2015
barcanista:
Let me start by saying this- It is an indictment on the Government of President Goodluck Jonathan and PDP that Muhammadu Buhari is in the Presidential race. If President Jonathan had tackled Corruption, Insecurity and Executive indiscipline, Nigerians from all works of life will not have clamoured for the return of the 72 Years old Daura-born General in this 2015. If Jonathan had performed up to 50% of his 2011 Campaign promise, the General will be in Daura enjoying his happy retirement after glorious service to the nation.
Below are the reasons I am clamouring for the man that Nigerians call the Amiable General.

1. INSECURITY
Contrary to popular opinion, Boko Haram struck on first on July 26, 2009 when Musa Yaradua was in power by attacking a police station. Immediately, the Government launched a joint Military task force. The combine team of police and military rounded boko haram members. On 30th of July (4 days) over 700 people lost their lives with bokoharam members forming a Huge number of casualty. BH Leader Yusuf was arrested, Shekau fled with injury, the rest of the members scampered for safety, Borno was safe. No aattack was experienced by the administration. Umaru Musa Yaradua only used FOUR days to clear the Boko element. in February 2010, Yar Adua died (May He RIP).
September 2010 Boko Haram regrouped and struck again, this time Jonathan was in Power, they attacked first the Prison in Maiduguri and released their members. They continued spontaneous attack in the NE and even Abuja. The UN building, the Police headquarters etc were not spared. Rather than send the Army and nip them to the bud, Our President on August 2nd of 2012 defended Boko Haram terrorists with the statement: “They (Boko Haram) are our siblings and you cannot send the army to wipe out your family…. We are handling them with a soft approach.”. Despite the fact that over 25 thousand Nigerians have died, over 500 kidnapped including the 276 Chibok school girls, the President and his team has not Jailed any high profile official.

On the Flip side in 1984 as the New Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari was faced with Maitatsine sect which started in 1980 under the government of President Shehu Shagari. Maitatsine had same ideology with Boko Haram, and the Leader was also radical. He was killed by the security forces, though the sect still raged. Buhari took over the reins of power, he crushed the sect that had lasted for FOUR years within months and maitatsine group was nowhere to be found all through the remaining part of his administration.

The same Buhari that stopped Maitetsine, is the same Buhari that Nigerians are yearning for.

2. CORRUPTION
Since the birth of the Jonathan's administration we have heard countless number of corruption cases and executive lawlessness and how they are swept under the rug. In 2012, the President vowed to fight the subsidy thieves that has short-changed Nigeria of over N2 trillion Naira. The EFCC announced that they are commencing the trial of the 140 suspects as reported by the Punch on JULY 25, 2012, Three Years after the report nobody has been convicted or jailed. The disgraced Fmr Aviation Minister Princess Stella Oduah illegally and fraudulently appropriated a whopping N260 million Naira on just two cars for her official use. She was indicted by the Presidential committee to investigate her, rather than prosecute, the President gave her a slap on the wrist by asking her to tender her resignation after much pressure. She's walking freely and campaigning for the President. The Minister of Petroleum Diezani Madweke was indicted for spending a whopping N10 billion just to hire a jet for herself for one year. Rather than face the House of Representative probe, the President in his own wisdom said she doesn't have to honor any probe. She went further to approach the court to prevail on the lower chamber to stop the probe. Interior Minister conducted a sham of a recruitment, billions was realised, people died, nobody was hired. Other corruption cases under the watch of Jonathan. Not forgeting the alleged unremitted billions of dollars.

On the flip side Muhammadu Buhari assumed power at a time when corruption was having its foothold. He constituted a Military tribunal to try corruption case. Many Politicians were detained, some freed eg Ojukwu, Jakande etc and some Jailed. Among High profile personalities to be jailed are Governors: Jim Nwobodo of Anambra (21 Years), Abba Musa Rimi of Kaduna (21 years), Awaal Muhammed Ibrahim of Niger State, Adamu Attah of Kwara State, Chief Melford Okilo of Rivers (21 Years), Abubakar Rimi of Kano(21 Years), His successor Sabo Bakin Zuwo (300years), Aper Aku of Benue State(21 years). Prof Ambrose Ali of Bendel State was convicted for diversion of money belonging to the state, he was handed 100 Years imprisonment but was released after Sir Igbenedion paid a fine on his behalf. Many other politicians and businessmen were convicted for one financial crime or the other. Buhari also went out of his way, to get Umaru Dikko repatriated through the backdoor from the UK, for him to face justice. Though some may say it was not a legitimate strategy, but the fact remains that it was patriotic. then immediate past Vice President Alex Ekweme was arrested and detained, cash amounting to $50,000 was found in his home. He was under trial!exPresident Shagari wasn't spared, he was arrested and detained in his home-as at that time no evidence was got against him. Corruption was fought, with force and was stemmed.

We all believe that the second coming of Muhammadu Buhari will arrest the scourge of institutionalised corruption and indiscipline at all levels irrespective of perpetrators political standing-APC, PDP, APGA, AD or whatever, nobody will be spared.

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by QuotaSystem: 10:07am On Feb 22, 2015
^^

Hunger is truly a bastard.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Never Congratulated David Mark – APC / COVID-19: FG Appeals To Traders, Transporters Not To Hike Prices / Presidency 2023: Nine Candidates Ready To Step Down For Lawan - Kalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.