Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. (25256 Views)

RED Alert!..plan By Nigeria Army To Kill Nnamdi Kanu In Detention Uncovered / Baby Mauled To Death By Rats In Mexico As Teen Mom Is Out Partying! / ‘sexually Distracting’ Dress Lands School Girl In Detention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 11:10am On Feb 07, 2015
hbpeze:

bro honestly I need help,I Av accommodation problems in contonu here.pls am in my finals pls I no its not proper but if u can help me with 20 thousand naira so I add up with my friends and get a place.i sleep at d park n go to school from there plss.+22961756249

shocked shocked shocked angry angry undecided undecided
Oga mi, are we ok? embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by josite: 11:10am On Feb 07, 2015
call police pro on 08038375855.luckily he is IBO and a lawyer. explain yourself truthfully.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by ezugegere(m): 11:12am On Feb 07, 2015
As far aa I'm concerned, there's no case there! They're only intimidating your family because they believe you don't know your right.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by chocolateme(f): 11:17am On Feb 07, 2015
musicwriter:
@chocolateme
And the best your dad can do is running away all in the name of business engagement?. Since he didn't take the loan himself he could as well be there for her, he could even have nominated to go in for her. There's something you're hiding though, cause the whole truth hasn't been told here as you admitted.

Let me make an educated guess on what transpired.

Seems to me your mom helped herself with a bank loan with your dad's property as collateral without his knowledge. Now, the bank have come for their money and your dad is not happy with your mon and have washed his hands off the matter. No sane man will abandon his wife and run to Lagos enroute China in such a hard time. He can as well cancel the trip, if all was ok. Some bitter truths are missing.
nothing is missing here.. They confirmed from the local government concerning the shop and it was valid. Besides, he did not run away, it's true his help that the whole situation has been under control now. What else has been the excuse except that we refused to pay up the amount, even the police lawyer is processing her release now. It was learnt that she was never supposed to have been there for more than 24 hours.. A SAN has been consulted and Its taking another turn now. She was unlawfully detained beyond the limit she stayed. I will still update you all on how the matter was handled. I also thought there was something else involved but at the end of the whole thing, it's still the fact that my parents couldn't pay them just yet.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 07, 2015
OP lemme be fair to you, your Mom is suffering because she's trying to pervert justice. It is very simple, your father should either go to report himself to a police station or he goes to court to challenge the rape of your mom's fundamental human right. Have in mind however that your mom is held because she isn't cooperating with the law enforcement agents, which in itself is a crime. This said, I candemn the manner in which they entered your compound. It amounts to rascality on the part of the law enforcers.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by otokx(m): 11:21am On Feb 07, 2015
This is Nigeria, what concerns special anti robbery squad with loan recovery? Is there not a financial intelligence unit?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Bigcake: 11:27am On Feb 07, 2015
victorazy:

SARS have everything to do with it cuz is a criminal case.
i strongly disagree with you. SARS has nothing to do with this. This is purely a civil case which has to do with business transaction where the bank was not forced to issue out the said loan, but only for the purpose of profiteering. Where it is believed that all the clause were duely spelt out such as the seizure of collateral in a situation whereby the borrower is unable to pay. Rather, i advice the borrower to sue the bank for infringement on her fundamental human right to freedom as well as the SARS for helping and conducting illegal arrest. Now what crime has the woman committed?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Bigcake: 11:29am On Feb 07, 2015
victorazy:

Is a criminal case
Obviously it's not, can you please tell me what makes it a criminal case?
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 07, 2015
Lawyers go chop una money tire
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 07, 2015
otokx:
This is Nigeria, what concerns special anti robbery squad with loan recovery? Is there not a financial intelligence unit?
bro, this is within the jurisdiction of SARS
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by josite: 11:31am On Feb 07, 2015
again why don't u take it that d debt is due and pay it.then sue the bank and the police so your mum do not die. he who goes a borrowing goes a sorrowing.why not use d money for the China trip to settle d debt.or sell some properties to pay off the loan.enter into written commitment to pay and get your mum home early enof.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 07, 2015
Bigcake:
i strongly disagree with you. SARS has nothing to do with this. This is purely a civil case which has to do with business transaction where the bank was not forced to issue out the said loan, but only for the purpose of profiteering. Where it is believed that all the clause were duely spelt out such as the seizure of collateral in a situation whereby the borrower is unable to pay. Rather, i advice the borrower to sue the bank for infringement on her fundamental human right to freedom as well as the SARS for helping and conducting illegal arrest. Now what crime has the woman committed?
Bro, this is a CRIMINAL case and not civil. Read the story again
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by josite: 11:36am On Feb 07, 2015
police usually use a proviso of companies acts which prescribe criminal penalty for using a loan for another purpose for which it was taken.what I can do is to speak to the legal adviser of the bank if I have all the facts.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Bigcake: 11:36am On Feb 07, 2015
ehie:
A lot of holes in yourstory but I find out you guys took a loan that accumulated ..probably all avenues to get you pay failed.2.you dad hid and your mum went to speak to them and your mum was the signer so she is accountable. The bank probably used all ways to get their money they had no options and they probably couldn't wait for your business to start moving. .see how you make your bed is how you lay on it..cunning man die cunning man bury am. Now kataka don burst we dey hear one side..pay up..maybe na be cos of the loan them commot bank manager. .no sorry for you here..personal responsibility. .own your s.h.it and clean up the mess u made. .next
You are talking real nonsense. Does the woman look like a collateral to them? Why not ask the bank to claim the collateral if all efforts to get the loan paid wasn't possible? Bullshiit.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Bigcake: 11:38am On Feb 07, 2015
barcanista:
Bro, this is a CRIMINAL case and not civil. Read the story again
please point out the crime in it.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Niseamaka(m): 11:41am On Feb 07, 2015
B
chocolateme:
With heavy heart, I narrate to you how my mom ended up in SARS custody till today. I may not be able to give every single detail of what happened but please feel my pain and give me your opinion and advice. It may be a bit long but please bear with me.

My parents stay at Anambra but I and my sister stay in Lagos due to our job, I called my mom on Wednesday last 2 days but her number was switched off and I called dad who said mom's phone is broken and that they will call us back when he gets to the house. Ok they never called, yesterday. The same excuses, I asked him if there is any problem, he replied ''no''.

Suddenly by 5.30 this morning he called that we should open the gate for him, meaning that he came to Lagos on night bus. We were surprised, though not that surprised because he is meant to leave for China tomorrow for business.

He opened up this morning that on Wednesday around 5am, their house help woke up to go and switch on the sumo to pump water and saw about five men jumping into our compound through the fence, she ran to their room and woke them, they started hearing loud bangs on the gate from outside and on the iron door entrance to our house. They later realized it was the police but SARS.

Before now, we had business setback and loaned around 2.8m from the bank, (3 years now to be precise). I don't know how they calculated the interest but last year they refused to accept the loan amount first so we can be paying the interest in instalments. So now it accumulated, my dad said the bank said its 7m that we shall pay and even one of our shops that was used as collateral wasn't moving well due to location so it was rented out but it is still my day's property and the local government has its evidence of existence and ownership. The loan was collected by my mom via my dad's signature and paper, they run different lines of businesses and both travels too.

It was the bank that sent them that morning, knowing that it will be very difficult to make contacts to alleviate the situation if they arrest my dad, my mom decided that dad hides so she could speak with them. My dad went up to our penthouse. They ransacked every where in the house and did not see him, one of them noticed the penthouse and went up threatening to break the door ( they were 8 in number). My mom told them that she is the one that got the loan not her husband, that she will go with them to their office.

She changed into her clothes and they took her away till today, my dad has been trying all possible best to bail her through the lawyer but its hard, then they started trailing my dad. The lawyer advised him to leave the state because it will be worst if they catch him and if they catch him, he should forget about traveling or access to make contact while in detention. Secondly it is really important for him to travel as his flight has been booked, since today, so much efforts have been put in to bail her but to no avail, the top ranked police officer has put a call through from Abuja but yet nothing. I don't know how much the SARS were paid.

They went with the shop's original documents and the lawyer today to the shop and the Manager ended up rejecting it after evaluation with reasons that it will not fetch them seven million, its harder because the former bank manager just retired and this is a new manger. The lawyer wanted to file a court case but the NBA Anambra is still on strike that's why it's difficult to bail her.

Her BP is fast going out of hand and she has refused to eat since Wednesday only water. My brother with the lawyer has taken her drugs to her, the lawyer has decided that by Monday, they file the case on Federal high court and that way, they will grant her bail. Everyone is panicking, I don't understand and I don't know but we all unanimously accept that dad should not go there. Though so far, he is getting help from his contacts, but what I know is that the amount 7m is unacceptable. I feel it's unfair to jump into our private property through the fence as if they were coming to catch a criminal, the Manager has turned deaf ear to everybody's plea to grant mom bail on her health status. Well that's all I understand for now, so she will stay there till Monday again,
I don't even know what to do to help. Do you have anything helpful as per advice so we see if she can be released before Monday? Monday sef is too far. My dad is so pale now and is refusing to eat too.

Unless there's criminality involved, SARS have no business with loan defaulters. Contact a good lawyer.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by musicwriter(m): 11:48am On Feb 07, 2015
chocolateme:
nothing is missing here.. They confirmed from the local government concerning the shop and it was valid. Besides, he did not run away, it's true his help that the whole situation has been under control now. What else has been the excuse except that we refused to pay up the amount, even the police lawyer is processing her release now. It was learnt that she was never supposed to have been there for more than 24 hours.. A SAN has been consulted and Its taking another turn now. She was unlawfully detained beyond the limit she stayed. I will still update you all on how the matter was handled. I also thought there was something else involved but at the end of the whole thing, it's still the fact that my parents couldn't pay them just yet.

Sorry, if that wasn't the case.
Good luck!.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Gamechanger: 11:49am On Feb 07, 2015
All said...

Fyi NBA is not on strike its court officials throughout the Federation that went on strike.

The good news is that Federal Courts have suspended the strike and help is on the way.

Trust your lawyer to deliver on Monday through an exparte application for enforcement of ur mums fundamental rights.

Just pray and wait.

The two judges at the Federal High Court Awka (Gafai and Abubakar) are very proactive. So you don't have much to worry about.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Modelling(f): 11:49am On Feb 07, 2015
victorazy:

SARS have everything to do with it cuz is a criminal case.
And what made it a criminal case plz

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by dking123: 11:51am On Feb 07, 2015
amacastel:
Shey the loan was taken with a collateral? If yes that's there payment in loan obtaining if u refuse to pay the collateral becomes the payment pls don't pay that bank a dime and pls stp begging the manager this is bizness let ur lawyer take the case to court bail ur mum use 1m pursue the case and die the rest of the money
Afterall they evaluate the collateral b4 granting the loan it shld not be ur biznezz if is up to their money or not . Pls explain to ur mum there is no cause for alarm let her eat and pls take away all ur property document they can lay there hands on bringu guys are not owing them again since they have the document of the shop .the manager is trying to intimidate ur family cos they feel they are I anambra where bizness men and women fear them .
Pls don't forget to sue them for house breaking.
If I am u let ur lwayer file a petition against the & arrest the manager for house breaking and unlawful arrest and detention since is sars u go to state c I d awka they will transfer the case then u bail ur mum it will then bcome police matter come today come tommorrow because if u have given then document of a duplex they would have claim the house since without letting sars know
Good luck
This advice is good. in addition to this,get a radical lawyer and further take this matter public through a journalist.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Gamechanger: 11:52am On Feb 07, 2015
Even with her release, you people can still press for the damages for unlawful detention against SARS and the bank.

The case is civil and has nothing to do with SARS at all

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 07, 2015
I don't believe this story, especially the fact that you mentioned that a lawyer is involved. The lawyer should know what to do in this instance.

Sorry but this is my opinion.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Lincolnburrows(m): 11:57am On Feb 07, 2015
yuzedo:
My God!! This matter dey pain me personally!!!! Fùcking hell!!!

Did banks harass Ifeanyi Ubah, Jimoh Ibrahim and other criminal-minded "fat cats" like this when they were owing N1b and above?
That's how they also came to our house at 4am because of N2m. Ogun kill them all!!! angry angry angry

Aunty, SARS means Special Anti Robbery Squad.
Is your mother involved in armed robbery? No? Good. Dem don shìt for church!

You see that overzealous new manager? What are the terms of the loan facility as regards default? Liquidate collateral abi? But because of the obscene interest rate, amount due is now x4 principal + collateral. Yet, management will not write it off as bad debt because your mama no be Oduah or Anenih. Again I say, ogun kii dem!

Let a lawyer institute fùcking action against the bank for all the infringements thus far. If the collateral does not suffice (even though it was supposed to be far greater in worth than the principal) it is the fault of the former manager and compliance officer for their shoddy (desperate) credit approval process.

You guys have a big case. DO NOT BUNGLE IT! Ogun kii dat bank for gross incompetence and devious policies. In fact, I'm surprised the lawyer has not petitioned the IGP on his boys, and called the attention of Civil rights to the case! angry

With your kind of reasoning, don't complain when banks stop giving out loans to small scale businesses. The question should have been why did they default in the payment plan.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Bigcake: 11:58am On Feb 07, 2015
chocolateme:
miss you are right in whatever opinion you share here, but I also said that the bank refused to accept the main loan first to make it easier for my parents, now u said " probably" all avenues for them to recover it has failed, so tell me what other avenues you think they might have been using if not constantly reminding and summoning my dad for it? I also said that the bank manager just retired 3 months back while the debt has been there before now, or you think that 7 million is the highest debt a business man has ever owned a bank? You don't need to use a vulgar language or dissing words to drive your message home, if you have never faced challenges before, then it's ot your fault ok. Besides, u sound guilty to me. Do u have a case similar to mine and you are the one oppressing the other and your conscience flogging u. I believe that my mom will come out but. Meanwhile my brother told me that she was never put in cell but a room where there are 3 other women but she is so uncomfortable because of her health. Tnx
Could you please mention the name of the bank and it branch? Or forever remain silent... In war times all is fair, it doesn't matter your choice of weapon but what matters is the victory ahead. Since the bank has decided to use illegitimate force as a scare tactics, i suggest that you also aplpy the usage of '' Dirty publicity tactics''. Nothing brings a business down as dirty publicity. It is now an eye for an eye. Now can you kindly state the name of the bank so we can take it from there?
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by yoged(m): 11:58am On Feb 07, 2015
Ariel20:

I am not human. Are you happy? angry
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Raymie(m): 12:02pm On Feb 07, 2015
barcanista:
OP lemme be fair to you, your Mom is suffering because she's trying to pervert justice. It is very simple, your father should either go to report himself to a police station or he goes to court to challenge the rape of your mom's fundamental human right. Have in mind however that your mom is held because she isn't cooperating with the law enforcement agents, which in itself is a crime. This said, I candemn the manner in which they entered your compound. It amounts to rascality on the part of the law enforcers.
what justice? Flawed justice? Like I earlier mentioned, @OP sort yhurselves out first then give them such litigation that 4 consecutive managements will be inheriting it. 2015 is yhur year. Don't bungle it.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 07, 2015
yoged:
Yeahhhh it's obvious. + you are also a f.o.o.l. Oponu radarada

Thanks smiley
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by elohorayodele: 12:05pm On Feb 07, 2015
chocolateme:
With heavy heart, I narrate to you how my mom ended up in SARS custody till today. I may not be able to give every single detail of what happened but please feel my pain and give me your opinion and advice. It may be a bit long but please bear with me.

My parents stay at Anambra but I and my sister stay in Lagos due to our job, I called my mom on Wednesday last 2 days but her number was switched off and I called dad who said mom's phone is broken and that they will call us back when he gets to the house. Ok they never called, yesterday. The same excuses, I asked him if there is any problem, he replied ''no''.

Suddenly by 5.30 this morning he called that we should open the gate for him, meaning that he came to Lagos on night bus. We were surprised, though not that surprised because he is meant to leave for China tomorrow for business.

He opened up this morning that on Wednesday around 5am, their house help woke up to go and switch on the sumo to pump water and saw about five men jumping into our compound through the fence, she ran to their room and woke them, they started hearing loud bangs on the gate from outside and on the iron door entrance to our house. They later realized it was the police but SARS.

Before now, we had business setback and loaned around 2.8m from the bank, (3 years now to be precise). I don't know how they calculated the interest but last year they refused to accept the loan amount first so we can be paying the interest in instalments. So now it accumulated, my dad said the bank said its 7m that we shall pay and even one of our shops that was used as collateral wasn't moving well due to location so it was rented out but it is still my day's property and the local government has its evidence of existence and ownership. The loan was collected by my mom via my dad's signature and paper, they run different lines of businesses and both travels too.

It was the bank that sent them that morning, knowing that it will be very difficult to make contacts to alleviate the situation if they arrest my dad, my mom decided that dad hides so she could speak with them. My dad went up to our penthouse. They ransacked every where in the house and did not see him, one of them noticed the penthouse and went up threatening to break the door ( they were 8 in number). My mom told them that she is the one that got the loan not her husband, that she will go with them to their office.

She changed into her clothes and they took her away till today, my dad has been trying all possible best to bail her through the lawyer but its hard, then they started trailing my dad. The lawyer advised him to leave the state because it will be worst if they catch him and if they catch him, he should forget about traveling or access to make contact while in detention. Secondly it is really important for him to travel as his flight has been booked, since today, so much efforts have been put in to bail her but to no avail, the top ranked police officer has put a call through from Abuja but yet nothing. I don't know how much the SARS were paid.

They went with the shop's original documents and the lawyer today to the shop and the Manager ended up rejecting it after evaluation with reasons that it will not fetch them seven million, its harder because the former bank manager just retired and this is a new manger. The lawyer wanted to file a court case but the NBA Anambra is still on strike that's why it's difficult to bail her.

Her BP is fast going out of hand and she has refused to eat since Wednesday only water. My brother with the lawyer has taken her drugs to her, the lawyer has decided that by Monday, they file the case on Federal high court and that way, they will grant her bail. Everyone is panicking, I don't understand and I don't know but we all unanimously accept that dad should not go there. Though so far, he is getting help from his contacts, but what I know is that the amount 7m is unacceptable. I feel it's unfair to jump into our private property through the fence as if they were coming to catch a criminal, the Manager has turned deaf ear to everybody's plea to grant mom bail on her health status. Well that's all I understand for now, so she will stay there till Monday again,
I don't even know what to do to help. Do you have anything helpful as per advice so we see if she can be released before Monday? Monday sef is too far. My dad is so pale now and is refusing to eat too.

Get a better lawyer , with this in humane treatment your mum is suffering am sure they are the ones owing you now .
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by yoged(m): 12:08pm On Feb 07, 2015
Ariel20:

Thanks smiley
hey. Am sorry for calling u that. Shouldn't have done dat. Really sorry
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Montaque(m): 12:09pm On Feb 07, 2015
Leez:

Dude dnt know if its true but if it is then I'm sorry to say your dad didn't act like a true igbo man @ all
No igbo man I repeat no igbo man leaves his wife to take the fall for him.
An average igbo man will die for his family talkless of an ANAMBRA man!
that's "unanambrarian" like u said. Maybe the man thought they won't arrest her because of her gender, wrong move.

SARS awkuzu is the worst place to have problem with in anambra.,so full of human right abuse and extra-judicial killings.
They even beat up lawyers who visit their station to bail a very notorious detained client.
My advice is that the OP should get down to Anambra state,get a lawyer,known and with guts(this is important), file a case under the fundamental human right provisions at the federal high court(the states are on strike), secure the moms bail first, have a financial expert handy to negotiate the loan and know exactly how much is owed and pay it off(you can't evade the loan), then pursue the fundamental human right case till conclusion...to recover damages for breach.

But my 6th sense tells me that the action of the bank was their last resort,after all means has failed.
Don't expect everybody to be a gentleman.
But it has been held that police(SARS inclusive) are not statutory debt collectors.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by richyblink1(m): 12:12pm On Feb 07, 2015
Please if you really need help, state the name of the bank and location in Anambra.

If all you have narrated is true, then give the above details I requested for speedy action as I am equally a banker and from same Anambra.

All the while I have been in the industry i have never heard of banks sending security operatives at night to jump a customer's fence, or rejecting an initial form of collateral.

Something is fishy!

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Housing(m): 12:17pm On Feb 07, 2015
You don't need to be panicking if it is loan from a bank, hope your daddy has not issue any dude chcheque. The case should not be with SARS. The worst they can do is to forfeit the equilateral, or to re- negotiate with your daddy if they are interested in there more, the loan repayments will be restructured. Even EFCC will advise the bank to allow renegotiation as loan default is always a protracted case in law court as the interest of the concerned defaulter's family and staff have to be considered. As for the illegal detention let your lawyer sue for violation of fundamental human rights the case must be heard within seven days that is the practice. Hope you parents tell you what really transpired. Nevertheless they should not panic and face the bank with hope of paying the loan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Accident Kills Traders In Niger State While Transporting Their Goods (Graphic) / Have You Ever Been Accused Wrongly? Share Your Experience! / #evenif Hilariously Trending On Twitter (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.