Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,310 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. (25238 Views)

RED Alert!..plan By Nigeria Army To Kill Nnamdi Kanu In Detention Uncovered / Baby Mauled To Death By Rats In Mexico As Teen Mom Is Out Partying! / ‘sexually Distracting’ Dress Lands School Girl In Detention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by UnclePati: 3:04pm On Feb 07, 2015
Girl...pls walk into union bank Head office at Marina Lagos and demand to see the Chief inspector. Please go wit your Dad and your lawyer.

Report this case officially to him. As they may not be aware of the manager's actions at anambra state.

Remind him that the loan obtained was secured wit a colateral which was duly accepted by the bank and where the customer had defaulted it is the duty of the bank to apply their plan B. Take posession of colateral in other to recover their funds.

The loan agrement does not require the arrest detention intimidation and harrassment of defaulters using law enforcement engencies.

The manager have gone too far and should be called to order. He should be sanctioned because the bank can be sued for his actions and u can claim DAMAGEs

Babe dont go there crying or begging them. Demand for your mothers release and should anytin happen to her while in detention you will go to the media and u will go to court.

If this approach fails. Please write to CBN and officially complain and demand that they compel Union bank to explain how 2.8m loan grew into 7m in just 3yrs.

How was the interest rate computed. Thiefs

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 07, 2015
and for ppl saying banks dont sack cos of bad loan, dt was in the past.
Banks give account officer/branch manager indefinite suspension first without salary, then afterwards, decide to either sack or retain the affected staff. what acnt officers do in such situatn is borrow money and pay for such loans so as to retain their jobs and then use every other means (even diabolical) to get their money. Dont shake ur head. most ppl dt refuse to pay bank money most times are diabolical and do that on purpose.
A friend of mine paid 2.3million of bad loan to retain her job. What pains me is that its a loan she gave to a professional (pharmacist) till today, she has not got a kobo pay back from the loan defaulter. shit happens.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 07, 2015
amacastel:
Shey the loan was taken with a collateral? If yes that's there payment in loan obtaining if u refuse to pay the collateral becomes the payment pls don't pay that bank a dime and pls stp begging the manager this is bizness let ur lawyer take the case to court bail ur mum use 1m pursue the case and die the rest of the money
Afterall they evaluate the collateral b4 granting the loan it shld not be ur biznezz if is up to their money or not . Pls explain to ur mum there is no cause for alarm let her eat and pls take away all ur property document they can lay there hands on bringu guys are not owing them again since they have the document of the shop .the manager is trying to intimidate ur family cos they feel they are I anambra where bizness men and women fear them .
Pls don't forget to sue them for house breaking.
If I am u let ur lwayer file a petition against the & arrest the manager for house breaking and unlawful arrest and detention since is sars u go to state c I d awka they will transfer the case then u bail ur mum it will then bcome police matter come today come tommorrow because if u have given then document of a duplex they would have claim the house since without letting sars know
Good luck

Sue them for house breaking? In that lawless society?
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 07, 2015
ehie:
A lot of holes in yourstory but I find out you guys took a loan that accumulated ..probably all avenues to get you pay failed.2.you dad hid and your mum went to speak to them and your mum was the signer so she is accountable. The bank probably used all ways to get their money they had no options and they probably couldn't wait for your business to start moving. .see how you make your bed is how you lay on it..cunning man die cunning man bury am. Now kataka don burst we dey hear one side..pay up..maybe na be cos of the loan them commot bank manager. .no sorry for you here..personal responsibility. .own your s.h.it and clean up the mess u made. .next

Many years of therapy might just sort you out, but I doubt it.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
Hidentity:
First, I don't want to focus on the whole debt issue, the accumulation, shop and all that. I am simply here to say a few things about how your mum can be granted bail.

Friend, I am sorry for the situation. However, I think that your counsel (lawyer) is not doing the necessary. On the issue of bail, bail is only not allowed for capital offences I.e offences that carry death penalty. There are even exceptions to that. Bail can be granted in few instances.

Here, it is about recovery of debt. Ignoring the illegality in the process of arrest and all that, your mum should not be in their custody beyond 24 hours without being charged to court. The "offence" in question is bailable. All that the bank should have done is to have a meeting with your parents and reach certain agreements on when, how and who will pay the debt. In doing that, they can vary the original terms like the interest. The way they are going about it is both illegal and not civil.

Here is my advice: Charge your lawyer to live up to his professional responsibilities. If he can't, there are a couple of vibrant advocates out there, meet with them if you can afford the pay. If you can't, there are legal aid organisations that can help without taking a dime. They are in Lagos. If need be, I can drop a few links for you.

You feel like this because our society is not the ideal type. Don't think law does not work here, it depends on how you go about it and how informed you are.

NOTE: When you are done rectifying this, there is a good case against the bank and SARS for the illegal approach.

I wish you well.

The bolded only happens in Western world, not even in all. I know someone that's been in custody in Switzerland for almost one year now, for a bailable offence.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by sweetkisses(f): 3:42pm On Feb 07, 2015
The joy of the Lord is your strength my dear. I admire your mother really, she'll come out of this in one piece
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by DICKtator: 3:51pm On Feb 07, 2015
I find people blaming the debtors laughable.
Before granting a loan,due diligence ought to be done by the bank
The loan applicant's credit file should be scrutinised (has he/she borrowed somewhere else?,his financial standing,the amount he/she would contribute,the collateral,among others)
All these are approved and authorised by management(I.e the bank manager,the Head of operations,the regional manager and at times,the M.D-they all have a certain amount/quota they can approve/authorise.)
It immediately becomes a "bad debt" immediately it is given out(provision is made for it)
AS SOON AS IT IS GIVEN OUT,IT BECOMES THE DUTY OF THE LOAN/RELATIONSHIP OFFICER/MARKETER or whatever he/she is called to diligently monitor the payment or default of the loan!.if there is a default,moral suasion should be employed in making sure the debtor pays.Once it has exceeded the statutory requirement period and becomes a non performing loan,the bank should be blamed because it implies that they did not monitor the loan adequately or allowed the debtor to play them for that period.
Some idiots deliberately ignored the setbacks because they believe with the increase in the default,the bank would gain more through default charges( the default charges would be stated in the Loan agreement form signed by both parties),interest accumulation and what have you.
While it isn't advisable to take the bank to court based on the loan since the agreement was signed by an adult, it would be OK to charge the police and any other party involved in the invasion of a private property without court order but you must be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt the harm it caused to you.
I'm tired of typing so I would stop here!!!.

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by bookface: 3:54pm On Feb 07, 2015
I am interested in this case. To all experienced lawyers in the house, if you were to take up this case, can please you quote an approximate figure for your services?

The demands will be as follows

i) To immediately secure the release of the defendant

ii) To seek an injunction that denounces the arrests and detention of the defendant as illegal

iii)To seek an injunction against further arrests until the case is fully debated at the state high court

iv) To immediately institute proceedings against the state police & the bank for the illegal arrest and detention of the defendant in a direct breech of constitutional guarantees as a citizen of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by DICKtator: 4:05pm On Feb 07, 2015
I'm even surprise that one of the loan beneficiary wants to travel and the op said they(her parents) travel often.
Perhaps the bank was aware of the fact that the beneficiary wanted to travel out inspire of their non performing stand

Impact of suing the bank

Your parents
They may not pay the accumulated interest on the loan BUT they must pay the full amount of the loan (2.8 mill). And this may occur too if both parties settled out of court
If they don't get a pro-bono lawyer,they would definitely pay a lot to the defending lawyer.
They would have a bad credit history,if they try to borrow from another bank and that bank DOES an in depth credit check,they may not be able to access loan from the bank.

The bank
May not want to take the matter to court(if it is a top bank which 2.8million and even 7 million may not be material a enough to pursue at a court)
Banks do not like negativity so may probably want to settle the matter out of court. Like someone stated,the previous manager may have been sacked because of his non performance and the new manager is trying to show why he was placed in that position!. Remember that the Q1(1st quarter) for assessing budget ,performance appraisals and what have you performance is in March which is close by. Managers get drilled on their debt recovery strategy/performance among other issues.
Tired of typing again so imma stop here!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by sheffyUTD(m): 5:11pm On Feb 07, 2015
@ Ehie

Why do I 'feel' I like your comments, though some do not go well with me. Is it facts, truth or just because you did not follow the crowd

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by ukandi1(m): 6:47pm On Feb 07, 2015
Sars is special antirobbery squad. This is not a robbery situation so why is sars abusing their office? That is power intoxication and abuse.
If d bank needed to make arrest, it shud be d police not sars. Better still, d EFCC shud have been called in if d cash involvement is in excess of 4m.
Sue d bastards individually and collectively.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by 100Cents: 7:18pm On Feb 07, 2015
Very annoying way the police treat ordinary citizens.

But young man, the banks i know and have worked with will accept any amount from you to deplete your debt or debit balance with them.

Maybe your family has been avoiding to pay this loan for a long time before they took these extreme measures.

This is one of the reasons it isnt wise to take loan as a businessman. You cannot differentiate which money is urs and which belongs to bank. Again, Nigerian loans have killer interest rates.. It is very easy to draw up plans but very easy for reality to deviate from your plans.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by sharpchap: 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2015
write a letter to the IG of police. your parents are not armed robbers therefore SARS has no jurisdiction in the matter. the bank manager made a wrong move by involving SARS, please exploit that move. this is intimidation. U can turn it against them anyhow U wish and get the bank to back off and you can pay the loan at your leisure. dont be foolish or afraid. they can only intimidate illiterate villagers like that.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by kennes10: 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2015
SARS does not have the power to collect debts and the bank manager made a bad move. Get a gud lawyer nd try nd get her police bail or apply to court. Then institute an action against the manager and SARS and claim damages. Mehn!! U wil get enuf money to pay up d debt.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by sapientia(m): 9:20pm On Feb 07, 2015
I wonder what your lawyer is doing... He should sue the IGP.. SARS is for armed robbery.. When you sue the IGP, his lawyers will represent him and explain to a Judge what SARS is doing meddling in a Loan case. Sue the bank for damages cos they have lawyers and are supposed to drag you people to court and not to police.. Let you people's lawyer wake up.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by NkemjikaX(m): 9:50pm On Feb 07, 2015
Pls visit the Human Right Office in that state and lodge in d complain, they will help u out of this mess
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by andyanders: 10:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
chocolateme:
With heavy heart, I narrate to you how my mom ended up in SARS custody till today. I may not be able to give every single detail of what happened but please feel my pain and give me your opinion and advice. It may be a bit long but please bear with me.

My parents stay at Anambra but I and my sister stay in Lagos due to our job, I called my mom on Wednesday last 2 days but her number was switched off and I called dad who said mom's phone is broken and that they will call us back when he gets to the house. Ok they never called, yesterday. The same excuses, I asked him if there is any problem, he replied ''no''.

Suddenly by 5.30 this morning he called that we should open the gate for him, meaning that he came to Lagos on night bus. We were surprised, though not that surprised because he is meant to leave for China tomorrow for business.

He opened up this morning that on Wednesday around 5am, their house help woke up to go and switch on the sumo to pump water and saw about five men jumping into our compound through the fence, she ran to their room and woke them, they started hearing loud bangs on the gate from outside and on the iron door entrance to our house. They later realized it was the police but SARS.

Before now, we had business setback and loaned around 2.8m from the bank, (3 years now to be precise). I don't know how they calculated the interest but last year they refused to accept the loan amount first so we can be paying the interest in instalments. So now it accumulated, my dad said the bank said its 7m that we shall pay and even one of our shops that was used as collateral wasn't moving well due to location so it was rented out but it is still my day's property and the local government has its evidence of existence and ownership. The loan was collected by my mom via my dad's signature and paper, they run different lines of businesses and both travels too.

It was the bank that sent them that morning, knowing that it will be very difficult to make contacts to alleviate the situation if they arrest my dad, my mom decided that dad hides so she could speak with them. My dad went up to our penthouse. They ransacked every where in the house and did not see him, one of them noticed the penthouse and went up threatening to break the door ( they were 8 in number). My mom told them that she is the one that got the loan not her husband, that she will go with them to their office.

She changed into her clothes and they took her away till today, my dad has been trying all possible best to bail her through the lawyer but its hard, then they started trailing my dad. The lawyer advised him to leave the state because it will be worst if they catch him and if they catch him, he should forget about traveling or access to make contact while in detention. Secondly it is really important for him to travel as his flight has been booked, since today, so much efforts have been put in to bail her but to no avail, the top ranked police officer has put a call through from Abuja but yet nothing. I don't know how much the SARS were paid.

They went with the shop's original documents and the lawyer today to the shop and the Manager ended up rejecting it after evaluation with reasons that it will not fetch them seven million, its harder because the former bank manager just retired and this is a new manger. The lawyer wanted to file a court case but the NBA Anambra is still on strike that's why it's difficult to bail her.

Her BP is fast going out of hand and she has refused to eat since Wednesday only water. My brother with the lawyer has taken her drugs to her, the lawyer has decided that by Monday, they file the case on Federal high court and that way, they will grant her bail. Everyone is panicking, I don't understand and I don't know but we all unanimously accept that dad should not go there. Though so far, he is getting help from his contacts, but what I know is that the amount 7m is unacceptable. I feel it's unfair to jump into our private property through the fence as if they were coming to catch a criminal, the Manager has turned deaf ear to everybody's plea to grant mom bail on her health status. Well that's all I understand for now, so she will stay there till Monday again,
I don't even know what to do to help. Do you have anything helpful as per advice so we see if she can be released before Monday? Monday sef is too far. My dad is so pale now and is refusing to eat too.

Have you people been able to contact a consultant who will request for a detailed statement of Account from the bank to determine the actual amount your parents owe to the bank.Most banks raise issues like this when people take loan and they start calculating interest and lump it into the actual loan of which they will demand that the borrower must pay.

This account must be audited by an external consultant who will call for the statement of account from the first day that account was opened and also the loan account of which would state the debit and credit made in terms of the repayments if any your parents must have made.

Let me tell you this, most banks carry illegal deductions from most of their customer's accounts and even loan accounts of which the account holder cannot see unless professionals handle this to determine how the bank ran the said account with that period.

Let me know here then I can advise you accordingly. Even if they have defaulted, by arresting them with SARS is what I cannot understand here.Also why must your Dad be running instead of going there to resolve this and also trying to run.

If you get a good consultant, he can handle this and you people arrange a meeting with the bank.Also ask your parents if they have started servicing the said loan before they came for them or that they refused to pay back.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by andyanders: 11:12pm On Feb 07, 2015
Your case is a simple case and your dad should not run from it.Let your Dad request for his detailed transaction from the bank from the day he opened the account and also all debits/credits made on the said account and that should be through the service of a Financial Consultant.

Your parent's lawyer is not competent and I think does not know his job. Why must he advise your father to run away knowing full well that he never stole the money and that it was a loan he took and since they have started debiting his account due to the accrued interest on the said loan, let them have a meeting with the bank whereby the consultant will study the whole transaction that went through the said account and also the Loan Account to determine who is owing who.Do not be surprised that at the end of this whole episode, the bank will be pleading to your father for settlement. His lawyer is silly.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by ethylene: 1:38am On Feb 08, 2015
Invite the State Security Service Into the matter. The Sars boys must hv been paid to intimidate your parents. Let mi ask B4 d arrest, did d bank serve u any letter or arrest [email]warrants[/email]?
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 4:56am On Feb 08, 2015
sheffyUTD:
@ Ehie

Why do I 'feel' I like your comments, though some do not go well with me. Is it facts, truth or just because you did not followed the crowd
probably all of the above
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by fm7070: 10:55am On Feb 08, 2015
what a lawless country!
It is purely a civil matter, not robbery/criminal matter
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by chucktoon: 2:14pm On Feb 08, 2015
Flytefalls:
What is/are SARS?

legalized assassins for the highest bidder
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by UjSizzle(f): 11:57pm On Feb 08, 2015
2.8m to 7m in 3 years? shocked
How did that even happen? undecided

You should go to court and have engage the services of an independent firm to compute interest payable per annum. All these banks can be crazy thieves (we're handling a similar case from Anambra state again) when it comes to loans.

Meanwhile what's the interest rate?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by poseidon12: 12:54am On Feb 09, 2015
victorazy:

Is a criminal case

How?
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by poseidon12: 1:19am On Feb 09, 2015
josite:
call police pro on 08038375855.luckily he is IBO and a lawyer. explain yourself truthfully.

Thanks for this information. She should also go to the Nigeria Police website and get the phone number for the Commissioner of Police Anambra State.
SARS has no business with debt collection.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by poseidon12: 1:26am On Feb 09, 2015
chocolateme:
nothing is missing here.. They confirmed from the local government concerning the shop and it was valid. Besides, he did not run away, it's true his help that the whole situation has been under control now. What else has been the excuse except that we refused to pay up the amount, even the police lawyer is processing her release now. It was learnt that she was never supposed to have been there for more than 24 hours.. A SAN has been consulted and Its taking another turn now. She was unlawfully detained beyond the limit she stayed. I will still update you all on how the matter was handled. I also thought there was something else involved but at the end of the whole thing, it's still the fact that my parents couldn't pay them just yet.

Thank God its turning out better. Our country is a jungle. I'm happy your family now has an experienced lawyer on the case. Do keep us updated so we can all learn. God bless.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by chocolateme(f): 3:20pm On Feb 09, 2015
poseidon12:

Thank God its turning out better. Our country is a jungle. I'm happy your family now has an experienced lawyer on the case. Do keep us updated so we can all learn. God bless.
bless u too, I must definitely update u guys on the conclusion of the case. Meanwhile, it's been filed at federal high court. That Manager hehe!! Ok.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by madgoat(m): 11:22pm On Feb 09, 2015
Waiting for update on this matter. . .
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 1:45am On Feb 11, 2015
Ariel20:

I am not human. angry
yep,folks know that already..u sling n hop from tree2tree,branches2branches....n u luv bnanaaLacedCakes,ya know...
grin
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 11, 2015
Rexxie:

yep,folks know that already..u sling n hop from tree2tree,branches2branches....n u luv bnanaaLacedCakes,ya know...
grin

grin. Whatever dear.
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by Sexyolori(f): 11:38am On Feb 12, 2015
get a lawyer to apply for bail and then you can commence settlement but prior to this arrest did they not send letters of recovery to your parents.By the way what's the location of this incident?
Re: What's Your Advice To Help.. Mom Is In Detention. by sylve11: 4:15pm On Sep 28, 2022
Tymax:
Just try to hang on. The bank is supposed to confiscate the shop. That's all. SARS is anti-robbery. Wetin concern SARS with loan debt?

Don't panic, you'll get your mother out. After that, sue the bank and publicize the case so that they would beg you for out of court settlement. If not, they would bribe and have their way. The bank has money but Publicity will bring them to their knees.

Correct. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos Of Facebook, Twitter, Google Etc. Offices / Accident Kills Traders In Niger State While Transporting Their Goods (Graphic) / #evenif Hilariously Trending On Twitter (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.