Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari (1146 Views)

Photos Of 3 Nigerians Just Before They Were Executed In Indonesia / Betrayal: Dr. Odili Opens Up On His Regime, Amaechi-omehia Feud, Etc / Profile Pictures Of The 8 Drug Traffickers Executed By Indonesian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari by chiddy158: 4:51am On Feb 09, 2015
The presidential candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC) , General Muhammadu Buhari (Rtd) on Sunday defended some of the most controversial actions of his regime and ac­cepted responsibility for them.

Gen. Buhari, who was a former Nigeria Military leader said that his military regime took those actions to clean up the country and restore dignity to the citizenry.

The Buhari junta, which was in power between 31 December 1983 and 27 August 1985, attract­ed criticisms for executing drug convicts with retroactive laws and for jailing journalists under a decree that made it an offence to publish a report that could embarrass the government, whether true or false.

The military regime ex­ecuted Bernard Ogedegbe (29), Bathlomew Owoh (26) and La­wal Ojuolape (30) for dealing in drugs. The case of Owoh drew particular global attention be­cause at the time the offence was committed, the maximum punishment in the country’s legal code was six months imprisonment. The Buhari government enacted a De­cree 20, which had a retro­active effect and carried the death penalty.

Also, under Decree No. 4 of 1984, the Buhari mili­tary government jailed two reporters, Tunde Thomp­son and Nduka Irabor for publishing reports that it considered embarrassing to government officials.

In an interview with Al Jazeera television, Buhari was asked to respond to accusation of cracking down on civil rights, Journalists and of executing people who had not committed cap­ital offences. Buhari responded

"We said we suspended parts of the constitution and we made laws before we sent people on trial. So, we accept responsibility for whatever opinion and whoever is ex­pressing it. The question of executing people was about people dealing in drugs. We said cocaine and associated drugs were not developed or produced in Nigeria. People who want to make money at the expense of health, lives of people go to the countries that produce these substanc­es and make Nigeria a tran­sit camp for drugs, destroy­ing Nigerian communities and extend the destruction even to developed countries just to make money. We were concerned that if people want to make money, they should go out and work hard and make money, not to go and bring drugs, sell it and destroy our youth, sell it and destroy other countries just to make money. We made the law, that whoever did it should be executed. Let him go and make the money else­where, not in Nigeria. The second accusation that you made on the trampling on human rights is about the Nigerian Press. We said we cannot stop the press from criticizing people or institu­tions. But please, let them have investigative journal­ism. Let them try and verify facts before they accuse government of offence and others of misdemeanor to spoil their names and repu­tations. We never held any secret tribunal. The tribu­nals, six of them throughout the country, we got the intel­ligence community, Navy, Army, Air Force, Police, national security organisa­tions, to form the investi­gative panel that based on documentation, people were charged, military tribunals, they were tried. There was nothing secret about it.

Reacting to a question why some figures in Nigeria like Wole Soyinka, former President Oluse­gun Obasanjo and former President Ibra­him Babangida has not come out come out to endorse him as the right man and the perfect man to be the President of Nigeria, Buhari said;

"If people don’t like Buhari’s face for what he did as a military Head of State, let them join either the ruling party or any of the mushroom parties and vote against me and persuade their constituencies to vote against me. It is as simple as that. I keep maintaining that Nigerians will be amazed how physically Nigeria can be secured if people are allowed to choose whoever they want to represent them as members of leg­islature, as Governors and as President. We will be amazed".

http://www.thefocusng.com/why-my-regime-executed-drug-peddlers-jailed-journalists-buhari/
Re: Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari by freshness2020: 4:55am On Feb 09, 2015
..until ♈όϋ Call for the jailing of Tinubu and his the mighty drug Peddler! Then we would know ♈όϋ are a leader by example!

3 Likes

Re: Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari by Godfullsam(m): 5:09am On Feb 09, 2015
GMB is a disciplinarian.... exactly what we want in Nigeria at this point in time.
Re: Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari by madridguy(m): 5:28am On Feb 09, 2015
Sai Buhari
Sai Baba.
The man of Integrity.
Re: Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari by eyenibibio(m): 5:58am On Feb 09, 2015
Extra judicial killings if buhari wins.
Sai Gej.
Re: Why My Regime Executed Drug Peddlers, Jailed Journalists – Buhari by stepone(m): 7:12am On Feb 09, 2015
freshness2020:
..until ♈όϋ Call for the jailing of Tinubu and his the mighty drug Peddler! Then we would know ♈όϋ are a leader by example!

He just said something abt u in his response to 2nd accusation.

get ur facts right!

(1) (Reply)

Nairalanders! Were You Ever Flogged In School? / When Your Uncles Is A Fool At 40 (pic) / Smok R200 200W TC Mod Kit Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.