Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. (1402 Views)

The Literature Section Person Of The Year Award 2014 / Harry Potter Fans: New Harry Potter: / Best Harry Potter Book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by SisiJinx: 7:19pm On Jan 02, 2009
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Magic wands and crystal ballzz
All Harry Potter Fanaticks  tongue
Come in here and show skillzz

Anyway, this is an extension of The Literature Fun Thread. Since Sisikill has been banished to neverland, to be killed off, hacked into pieces, destroyed and Disappeared forever and ever and ever by our very own Lord Voldemort. . . I kid, I kid [size=3pt]NOT[/size], the title on that thread can’t be changed to match the new sets of Trivia. . . . so pardon me for stating a new one.

Alrighty then, here goes. . . First stop this Year is Harry Potter, I thought it fitting since it’s such a magical time. . . Ya know? Oh alight, it's only because I’ve got Potter on the brains…. just finally got to read Deathly Hallow.

Moving on

The Challenge: "Many of the names used in J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series are derived from classical mythology and epics such as Virgil's "The Aeneid" and Homer's "The Odyssey" . How many can you identify?"

1. The Greco-Roman underworld is guarded by a three-headed dog. The mythological creature is not named Fluffy. What is its name?
Tisiphone
Hydra
Charon
Cerberus

2. Percy's owl, Hermes, is named after the Greco-Roman messenger god. Hermes is the Roman name.
True
False

3. This Hogwarts teacher is named after the goddess of wisdom in Roman mythology. Who is she?
Professor Trelawney
Madam Pomfrey
Professor McGonagall
Professor Sprout

4. The character in Roman mythology that Professor Lupin is named after had a brother. What was the brother's name?
Romleus
Romany
Romulus
Romanerus

5. Hermione is the name of the daughter of this famous classical woman.
Dido of Carthage
Helen of Troy
Queen Hera
Penelope of Ithaca

6. Which of the following is a Greco-Roman mythological figure featured on a chocolate frog card?
Statius
Calypso
Circe
Demodocus

7. Luna Lovegood is named for a Roman goddess. What is this goddess's sphere of influence?
moon
marriage
home
fertility

8. Which Death Eater's name is another name for the Roman god Vulcan?
Moran
Macnair
Mulciber
Malfoy

9. Daedalus Diggle shares a name with the mythical Greek inventor Daedalus. The Greek Daedalus had a famous son. What was his name?
Achilles
Theseus
Perseus
Icarus

10. Which character was named after a man in Greek mythology who fell in love with his own reflection?
Minerva McGonagall
Phyllida Spore
Elphias Doge
Narcissa Malfoy

The first person who answers correctly gives the next set of questions.

PS
No cheating. . . You know ike googling the names and classical Mythological stories and then trying to compare them. No googling Harry Potter so you can get the website I got this from,  . .okay?

Thank You!  tongue cheesy

PPS
I am hiding behind the magical cloak of creative license for the poem in the beginning, so don't tell me it's wack. . . okay coz I know it is wack thank you very much! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by kay9(m): 3:03pm On Jan 03, 2009
Before answer, I want get a few things of my chest. I have a BIG bone to pick with JKR.

Truth is, I'm just NOT a fan of Harry Potter. Sure, i read all the 7 Harry Potter books - heck, if there was an 8th, i'd have read it too - nice English names, even nicer writing style. But by God, each time I finish one of them books, I just wana throw a tantrum:

Why are Ron and Hermione always arguing - even unto 7th grade (or whateva) when they must be grown teenagers??

Why was Harry such an idiot in the Deathly Hallows - saying 'Voldemort' like that (after SEVERAL warnings!!) and getting them all caught??

Why can't Ron ever get a smart word in when he's being teased - NOT EVEN ONCE ALL THROUGH THE 7 BOOKS?? Even his kid sister wipes the wall with his face!! Pathetic.

Why, oh why is Hermione such a show-off? No.1 "Over-Sabi"! On a personal note, I ABSOLUTELY agree with Prof Snape - gee, that girl sure loved showing off!  grin grin

And why did Ron have to wait till the second-to-the-last page of the LAST book (or there about  grin) before kissing Hermione?? Gash, Naija guys, they start kissing just a few pages after the book's begun.

Why did we have to wait till the last book before a Death-eater was killed?

Why was JKRowling always helping Harry out of fights? Others fight, lose and die - or lose a part of their body, like George who lost his ear. But not Harry, no sir; apart from his "adorable" lightening scar, the young cheek never sustains any other lasting bodily harm - even all through his battles with Voldemort. Rather if the fight gets too intense, he just zaps off to another dimension where he gets to have little chit-chats with Dumbledore. Makes me wana break something. angry angry

And lastly, why - for mercy's sake, WHY - did Cedric Diggory have to die? God, there were lots of others to chose - Harry and Hermione for starters! Such a nice, gentle. . .  he was 10times the man Harry was - and yet Harry survived; why couldn't he? cry cry

ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!

Ok, now i can answer your questions, Sisi. But wait a minute though; where u been, girl?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by kay9(m): 4:21pm On Jan 03, 2009
Lets see:

Q1: It's Ceberus. I watched years ago in Clash of the Titans - but the dog in that movie was NOT anything like the one JRK painted.

Q2: True. Remember Odyssey starring Armand Asante? That Hermes fella was pretty cool, floating around like that. . . I actually wished I was him after watching the movie grin grin

Q3: Umm, I go with Professor McGonagall, full name: Minerva McGonagall. But Minerva was mostly a goddess of war, wasn't she? Were's my copy of Greeks and Trojans. . .

Q4: Romulus.

Q5: No Googling? Gaarrrrh! Ok, let's see. . . Dido had something to do with Prince Aeneas of Troy - and Hermione is Roman. . . naa, Dido's out. Helen of Troy - hey Sisi! Helen's from Sparta, Menalaus's wife - didn't u watch sexy Brad Pitt in Troy? OK, back to the question . . . Hera is Zeus' wife right? Hmmm . . . and Penelope was Odysseus' wife with a son . . . Telecheus or Telemacheus or something like that. So that leaves Hera and Helen.

I think I'll go with Hera; I don't think Helen had any child - there sure wasn't any in the movie!  grin

Q6: Circe. (I wonder what he looked like in that photo though)

Q7: Moon - pretty obvious.

Q8: Mulciber aka Vulcan. Helped the Greeks (upon Hera's appeal) in the Trojan war. . .  I think  smiley

Q9: Oh shit. I don't know, but I'll hazard Achilles. Just curious now: who was the hero that slew Calibox - Theseus abi Perseus? Darned greek names; they all sound alike - theseus, perseus, odysseus, "all-the-'euses" grin grin

Q10: Narcissa (Tricky one swtiching the name to a feminine form. I never made the connection until saw the question)
Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by kay9(m): 4:27pm On Jan 03, 2009
Ok, so I went Googling; frankly, Sisi, it aint fair with Question 2!! angry angry I mean, I could stomach the rest, but twisting the question like that. . . mean!
Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by vescucci(m): 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2009
1. Ceberus

2. Hermes is a messenger god. I prefer the other name Mercury

3. I'll assume she lives up to her name. I dunno but I'll pick Professor McGonagall

4. Romulus. Didn't really know but that's the only name I've heard of. I bet the rest don't even exist.

5. Funny I disagree with Kay9 here. I think it's one outta penelope or Dido. Reason being solely because of Sisi's 'classical' defiinition.

6. I think this is Demodocus. It's the only ominous sounding one.

7. I have no freaking idea

8. I'll go for Malfoy, cuz he's the only Deatheater I know by name. Rest too sound like they don't exist.

9. I dunno. I can only eliminate Icarus cuz he's a god. Daedalus seems a mortal dude. Esle he won't go about inventing stuff.

10. Narcissa, hence narcissism.

Okay, kay9 (sounds nice, eh? Okay, kay9) your turn with the quiz. make it easy, will ya?
Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by vescucci(m): 4:57pm On Jan 03, 2009
I don't see the trickery in question 2. Help me out here.

What's up, kay9? Seems like Sisi is getting her mojo back. She's becoming more juvenile the way I like her.

Sisi, I hope you leave all this serious business and remain like this forever. Well, for a long time, till I die.
Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by SisiJinx: 2:38am On Jan 05, 2009
Lmao! Oh my goodness! Boss. . . what happened to your inner child? Your adult mind won't really enjoy the workings of Harry Potter, no siree bob. . . which is why you have to let little Kay9 come out to play!!

Vesc, juvenile Sisi says "You saaaid a ba' word! You said Mojoooooo! You said Mojoooooo" Hehehehehehe! cheesy

Don't worry, all that serious stuff is a thing of the past! I am back to me ol' self!  grin

ANSWERS TO TRIVIA

1) Cerberus
2) False
3) Professor McGonagall.
4) Romulus.
5) Helen of Troy.
6) Circe.
7) moon.
cool Mulciber.
9) Narcissa Malfoy.
10) Icarus

Next. . . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by SisiJinx: 2:43am On Jan 05, 2009
kay9:

But wait a minute though; where u been, girl?

Don't mind me, I went trouble seeking in the culture and family section, got my behind handed to me and now I've come home to lick my wounds!

Yet they say you can't go home again. Bah! What do they know, eh?
cheesy
Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by vescucci(m): 1:39pm On Jan 05, 2009
Now I get the deception in question 2. Nice diversion. Appeal to my intellectual vanity and have me on a platter. Icarus wasn't a god apparently. I thought he was cuz the only thing I knew of him was he flew too close to the sun, bla bla bla. I guess I'm making excuses. I failed woefully, oooooo.

Kay9, your turn!
Re: The Literature Fun Thead: Take Two - Siren Call To All Harry Potter Fans. by kay9(m): 11:18pm On Jan 05, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Don't mind me, I went trouble seeking in the culture and family section, got my behind handed to me and now I've come home to lick my wounds!
Yet they say you can't go home again. Bah! What do they know, eh?
cheesy

grin grin Last I saw you around there you were speaking hausa with some fulani guys. But I could've sworn t'was your double (abi "twin sister"wink that received those bashings. Guess you two are connected in more ways than one. . . wink Anyway you are right shaa - they don't do it like we do it over here - like fine wine!

(1) (Reply)

Story: Lord Of Buglars / Sex And Fasting – Episode 2 (the Fight Of Conscience ) / Downtown Fairytale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.