Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel (3435 Views)

7 Deadly Sins Christians Ignore Nowadays / Seven Deadly Characteristics Of Sin! / The Seven Atrocities Of Pastor E.A .Adeboye. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by Cayon(f): 1:06am On Jan 03, 2009
There are pros and cons for each of these sins (Christians/Muslims - sometimes they include athiest).  So basically, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't when it comes to these sins.  In fact tonight at 8pm and 9pm there is a rebroadcast on sloth and greed, respectively.  But what's so funny, there are some similarities (7 deadly sins) between Islam and Christianity  especially gluttony

Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride

Peace
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by Cayon(f): 7:29am On Jan 03, 2009
Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the divine. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity. Facially deformed people can still be vain about their abilities while not being vain in their appearance.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. Pretty self explanatory and we have all been guilty of wanting what someone else has at least once in our lives.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. This is not limited to food. The guy that downloads enough music to fill four Ipods is just as gluttonous as the woman that insists on diamonds and gold for every occasion.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body. Doesn't require a partner and even a virgin can fall prey to lust.

Wrath is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Anger. Flip someone off in traffic, slam the phone down on a telemarketer, swear when the car runs out of gas, its all a function of anger.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness. Ever wanted to tin a lottery, even for a moment? Hello, Greed!

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work. You can be themost diligent worker at your job, but if you never take a moment of introspection then you are a spiritual Sloth. (the narator said this one is the worst of all) However, Christians are told no sin is greater than the other.

Check out how Muslim view these sins. Interesting

1. Lust, Islam consider acting upon lust is sin. Lust can be source of sin but not sin itself. If a person fulfill lust from his wife, it can't be sin.
2. Gluttony : It is a sin, but not a major sin.
3. Greed itself is not a major, greed is an attitude which may result in sin. Greed of good things, like greed of God's pleasure, Greed of paradise is positive aspect of greed
4. Sloth: Again, it is a bad attitude towards life. It can result in sin.
5. Wrath, good wrath is good and bad wrath is bad. If wrath is against evil and satan it is good.
6. Envy: Not good,
7. Pride is Ok if it is limited to expression of thanking God. Otherwise it is a major sin. Pride is exclusive right God
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by KarmaMod(f): 7:32am On Jan 03, 2009
Was gonna watch it but Bill Burr distracted me tongue

He's hilarious!
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by Cayon(f): 7:43am On Jan 03, 2009
KarmaMod:

Was going to watch it but Bill Burr distracted me tongue

He's hilarious!
never heard of him.  Heard of Bill Maher

Yes, they repeating on Sunday. Really interesting. Greed is about to finish at 2am

Location NY like me.  T'was funny, i met 3 people  (females) who are members of this forum.  We had a long nice conversation. chit-chat and share tel numbers. small world eh?

Good night and good luck
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by SeaGoddes(f): 9:51am On Jan 03, 2009
Cayon:

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the divine. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity. Facially deformed people can still be vain about their abilities while not being vain in their appearance.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. Pretty self explanatory and we have all been guilty of wanting what someone else has at least once in our lives.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. This is not limited to food. The guy that downloads enough music to fill four Ipods is just as gluttonous as the woman that insists on diamonds and gold for every occasion.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body. Doesn't require a partner and even a virgin can fall prey to lust.

Wrath is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Anger. Flip someone off in traffic, slam the phone down on a telemarketer, swear when the car runs out of gas, its all a function of anger.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness. Ever wanted to tin a lottery, even for a moment? Hello, Greed!

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work. You can be themost diligent worker at your job, but if you never take a moment of introspection then you are a spiritual Sloth. (the narator said this one is the worst of all) However, Christians are told no sin is greater than the other.

chei im guilty of all of them oo cry cry cry cry cry cry cry embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry embarassed
i really need to watch it, wazs the time sloth 4 westcoast region undecided
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by Cayon(f): 7:51pm On Jan 04, 2009
There is a rebroadcast today starting from 2pm (NY time) of the seven deadly sins.  Oh while i was watching i found out that there are seven holy virtues (opposite to the seven deadly sins) The order is from the lowest to the highest.  I'll be watching again. hope you can too

Peace

Holy Virtues

Chastity (purity)
Moderation (self-restraint)
Generosity (vigilance)
Zeal (enthusiasm)
Meekness (composure)
Charity (giving)
Humility (humbleness)

Deadly Sins

Lust (inappropriate desire)
Gluttony (over-indulgence)
Greed (avarice)
Sloth (laziness)
Wrath (anger)
Envy (jealousy)
Pride (vanity)
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by Lady2(f): 6:01am On Jan 06, 2009
I was able to catch it. I've been keeping up with the shows this week so far, and there's one on the Seven plagues in the book of Revelations, funny enough scientists are saying there is scientific evidence that these things are happening.
Re: The Seven Deadly Sins. Anyone Else Watching It On The History Channel by JJYOU: 6:10am On Jan 06, 2009
book mark

(1) (Reply)

Does Polytheism Enable Equality? / Atheism. Define Please! / What Will Become Of Religion If The Devil Repents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.